Time for a British League

teamof1958

Watching Championship games on Sky recently I noticed the poor crowds.

I reckon Hearts would have 20,000 every home game.

Hearts could compete in the Championship

I want to move I reckon a top lawyer could get us in.

Remember Scotland voted two years ago to be part of GB.

Lets go.

There is just no way the English clubs would ever want this. A much more realistic option would be the suggested Atlantic League where clubs from Scotland, Scandinavia, the low countries and perhaps Portugal play in a league. We could easily have 3 divisions of 20 teams with those remaining in the national leagues feeding into bottom tier with for example the winners of the national leagues playing off to take say 2 places in the bottom tier. The combined population of such an area would be around 70 million which is enough to generate huge tv income for the teams in the top league and possibly the other two leagues as well. I think that a club the size of Hearts could do really well in such a set up. The only problem being that Tynecastle would not be big enough (even with a new stand) for the crowds attracted to watch the club.

I'm slowly coming round to the idea of a British league. Our game is broken up here and I can't see any hope of it being fixed.

That's flying the white flag. If the Hearts fans had given up there would be no Hearts.

All Scottish football needs is people who know what they are doing regarding school football, youth football, playing fields and all weather pitches, coaching, ect. Now millions of pounds flood out of Scotland into mainly the English Leagues through Sky, BBC, BT, & ITV. If Scotland got a fair % of TV money our football would benefit by more money being invested in our game. We Scots are subsidising football south of the border and if we want this to stop the lead must come from our clubs NOT THE TOOTHLESS SFA/SPL.

I agree that it WONT happen though possibly the Glasgow mobs might winkle their way in. IF they did Hearts would have the method to enter paved by Rangers or Celtic.

I prefer the Atlantic league Idea or really, its  North Sea League but could not work on a weekly base, due to the distances of travel for teams.  Perhaps it should be a summer league.

Our  nation requires some better way of raising media revenue. If we do not do that, the next recession will knock

the last vestiges of hell out of several of our clubs.  No wonder the English setup is better, with billions in media revelue. 

Hearts are " relatively" better off  than most for support being that we are Edinburgh, and many of us are in reasonable employment,  as long as Edinburgh remains a great city for trade and enterprise.

Said it once and will say it a million times more

Ram the British league, Atlantic league etc, and increase the size of our top flight to 18/20 teams, have a 2nd tier of 24 teams

2 up/down automatically 3rd bottom v 3rd top playoff for a place in top flight

Lowland and highland league winners promoted and replace the bottom two in the 2nd tier (if it's not geographical, a slight rejig for that league for a year or so)

I would much rather have only two games a season v any team (Hibs Celtic rangers sheep Kilmarnock etc) than the usual dross of 4.

Would make the league more exciting and build up to games better.

Sadly i know it will never be but can hope

This.

And summer football. Sky would be interested in that as summer sports are gash and it would be a big draw for the bookies too.

Unfortunately our overlords at the GFA would probably sell the rights to that for about 10 bob.

Bazzas right boot

Had this debate with a number of English folk. I was at the Northampton v Rochdale game.

They were palace and spurs fans.

I agreed that the sky money would be great and the quality of football would be better.

However, I countered by saying it's all relative, everyone else has the same money, we have no advantage.

Also, the spurs guy seen his team win one LC, the palace guy's have never been in Europe and never seen thier team win a cup.

Now, they spent ?25m on a striker, just to stay up. That's shite.

That league is just as ****ed as ours, but in a different way.

I'd take Europe, 3 cup wins, around 6 finals, being a top team than just being another number in england.

The caliber of plaery would be better, the excitement would not.

Instead of giving up ( that seems to be the Scottish way now a days) we should unite ( all clubs)and make the sport better.

kingantti1874

That's flying the white flag. If the Hearts fans had given up there would be no Hearts.

We've already lost.. know when your beat.. MK dons can cherry pick our players and management at will

I have no interest in playing in the Premier League in England.  Zero.

Rather our poor league any time.

We're a Scottish club and we play in Scotland.  If everyone, OF included, got their heads round this and started focussing inwards instead of looking down south with wistful eyes, we'd maybe start getting somewhere.

Is football not about going out with your family or mates for a day out any more?  Is it not a community thing any more?  Is success and money all that matter now?  Really?  Not for me.

This, every day of the week.

But in the event that we do gain admission to the sixth or seventh tier of the English league, good luck to everyone on the minibus to Gloucester.

MacDonald Jardine

Said it once and will say it a million times more

Ram the British league, Atlantic league etc, and increase the size of our top flight to 18/20 teams, have a 2nd tier of 24 teams

2 up/down automatically 3rd bottom v 3rd top playoff for a place in top flight

Lowland and highland league winners promoted and replace the bottom two in the 2nd tier (if it's not geographical, a slight rejig for that league for a year or so)

I would much rather have only two games a season v any team (Hibs Celtic rangers sheep Kilmarnock etc) than the usual dross of 4.

Would make the league more exciting and build up to games better.

Sadly i know it will never be but can hope

Aye right enough.

More games against the likes of Falkirk and Alloa will see the crowds flocking back.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I agree that it WONT happen though possibly the Glasgow mobs might winkle their way in. IF they did Hearts would have the method to enter paved by Rangers or Celtic.

I prefer the Atlantic league Idea or really, its  North Sea League but could not work on a weekly base, due to the distances of travel for teams.  Perhaps it should be a summer league.

Our  nation requires some better way of raising media revenue. If we do not do that, the next recession will knock

the last vestiges of hell out of several of our clubs.  No wonder the English setup is better, with billions in media revelue. 

Hearts are " relatively" better off  than most for support being that we are Edinburgh, and many of us are in reasonable employment,  as long as Edinburgh remains a great city for trade and enterprise.

Amsterdam is a 90 minute flight. Lisbon possibly 2 or 3 hours tops. Stockholm 90 minutes. In the modern world with air travel these places are just down the road.

This, every day of the week.

But in the event that we do gain admission to the sixth or seventh tier of the English league, good luck to everyone on the minibus to Gloucester.

Yes GOOD LUCK!

FYI - if you are organising a minibus to Gloucester to watch Gloucester City don't ....... they've not played their matches in Gloucester for several years! They are currently playing their matches in Cheltenham! It's not that far away but thought I'd let you know just in case...!

Losing players to Mickey Mouse English clubs isn't acceptable, as a result we pay to watch an inferior product on the pitch. If there is a chance for Hearts to join a British league we should be going. Edinburgh's a growing city and could attract players to come to such a great place to live.

As long as we have n TV money we will be in the shit. No surprise that it all started going downhill with Sky. All the European money goes to Celtic which means they are massive in Scotland but minnows on the European stage. We are now he equivalent of the Irish league that we used to laugh at back in the 70s

If the scottish clubs can play in the english leagues, why cant any club in europe play there too.

Eufa/fifa would never let it happen.

Charlie-Brown

Losing players to Mickey Mouse English clubs isn't acceptable, as a result we pay to watch an inferior product on the pitch. If there is a chance for Hearts to join a British league we should be going. Edinburgh's a growing city and could attract players to come to such a great place to live.

As opposed to wanting to join MK Dons or Sevco?

kingantti1874

So you would rather play MK Dons or Yeovil than Dundee or Hamilton Accies?

I'd like the opportunity to play at the top half of the championship against Newcastle, Norwich city etc etc and there's no reason we couldn't do a bornemouth..

It's not about competition it's about quality.. the player playing in Scotland now are absolute dross, the atmosphere at games is absolute dross .. That is because of a lack of finance to buy players and make ticket prices cheaper .. that cannot be fixed by making leagues bigger..

Charlie-Brown

In terms of club size Hearts are about 35-45 in UK terms so bottom championship / top league one would be our level ino.

Archived