"One Punch" C4

Sarah O

Anyone watch this last night? 3 one-punch killers. All tragic in their own ways. The show left me quite contemplative of just how fragile we all are, despite some people thinking otherwise.

The 1st guy, when the curtain dropped :sob:

The 2nd guy - what a total... utter... :sob:

The 3rd guy - :sob:

Caught part of this and only seen the 3rd guys story.  Just shows you anything can happen.  Will be getting on catchup to see the first 2 stories. 

1st guy seemed a dick. 2nd guy was a dick. 3rd guy clearly tried his best to avoid the situation.

The 1st guy did seem dick-ish, but for me, certainly not a total arse. He spoke well. Looked like he got into a shan situation.

A few years ago I read a newspaper article about a group of men who approached some younger teen/early twenties men in a public area of the city and just started assaulting them. One guy was killed by one punch... his friend crawled across the pavement and put his head in between his friend's head and the kicks that were aimed at it. His mate was already dead.

What does this sort of thing say about us as a species?

Sawdust Caesar

A few years ago I read a newspaper article about a group of men who approached some younger teen/early twenties men in a public area of the city and just started assaulting them. One guy was killed by one punch... his friend crawled across the pavement and put his head in between his friend's head and the kicks that were aimed at it. His mate was already dead.

I'll wager the perpetrators, if they were caught, got a wholly inadequate sentence for taking someone's life. IMO if you carry out unprovoked assaults that lead to death you should be charged with murder. To me it doesn't matter if you didn't mean to kill someone you still get the more serious charge of murder as it was your violent actions that ended someone's life.

It doesn't say anything about 'us' as I don't consider myself or anyone I know to be anything like them.

Utterly hideous characters.

It doesn't say anything about 'us' as I don't consider myself or anyone I know to be anything like them.

Whether you like it or not, they are your species.

In name only.

No, unfortunately they share DNA with us. They are our species.

We can talk about culture instead if you like?

I watched this and found it extremely moving. In no way was it a gratuitous film about violence. It took 3 normal people who for various different reasons ending up throwing a punch that ultimately killed someone.  It clearly demonstrated that one punch is all it takes. It clearly demonstrated that the punishments certainly do not fit the crime. 5 years for manslaughter reduced to 45 months for the first lad?

What got me though was the last "story". The courage the wife must have showed to sit down with her husbands killer and forgive him? To say "its alright"? Massive respect to her.

I remember watching Russia's toughest prisons and one guy was in for life for a one punch killing stemmed through a drunken square go.

My curiosity as to why he was in for life vanished when he said he panicked, chopped the mans body up, cooked him in a dish and fed him to his family in the form of a new as a goodwill gesture.

No, unfortunately they share DNA with us. They are our species.

We can talk about culture instead if you like?

I guess it says as much as the most wonderful act a human has carried out - that as a species we're capable of mental extremes, but neither extreme is a great example of your typical Homo sapiens OR hibby's behaviour

If someone gets into a violent situation and lands a lucky punch that has tragic consequences you have to have a certain sympathy. I doubt there are many people on here that have never punched anyone.

I got into a situation a few years ago that ended up with me being hit in the head with a half size baseball bat. I ended up with 9 staples in my head and a friend got a broken cheekbone after being hit with the same thing. In a different universe either of us could have died. I doubt the guy meant to kill either of us. He did get a year inside for his bother though.

If someone gets into a violent situation and lands a lucky punch that has tragic consequences you have to have a certain sympathy. I doubt there are many people on here that have never punched anyone.

I got into a situation a few years ago that ended up with me being hit in the head with a half size baseball bat. I ended up with 9 staples in my head and a friend got a broken cheekbone after being hit with the same thing. In a different universe either of us could have died. I doubt the guy meant to kill either of us. He did get a year inside for his bother though.

You have to have total and utter sympathy for the murderers and killers right enough, they deserve compassion.

:cornette:

I have also, literally, no exaggeration, never punched anyone, nor been in a fight.

I saw a report of a guy who punched a 40 year old (?) autistic guy after an arguement he had absolutely nothing to do with. The autistic died as a result, but the killer only got 4 years. Hanging is too good for the ****.

Just seen in a video of the show on The Guardian website, one shitstain pointlessly punched someone in the street and gave them a permanent brain injury, effectively robbing them of any hopes, plans, careers etc for their future.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/nov/23/one-killer-punch-review-random-violence

They served 3 years.

The UK is pathetic at times.

Just seen in a video of the show on The Guardian website, one shitstain pointlessly punched someone in the street and gave them a permanent brain injury, effectively robbing them of any hopes, plans, careers etc for their future.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/nov/23/one-killer-punch-review-random-violence

They served 3 years.

The UK is pathetic at times.

That video was so sad. What a vile piece of shit his attacker is. Always the wee guy, always. What a ****ing coward. Probably got out after a year. I get so angry pretty much all the time in life.

Riddley Walker

You have to have total and utter sympathy for the murderers and killers right enough, they deserve compassion.

:cornette:

I have also, literally, no exaggeration, never punched anyone, nor been in a fight.

I saw a report of a guy who punched a 40 year old (?) autistic guy after an arguement he had absolutely nothing to do with. The autistic died as a result, but the killer only got 4 years. Hanging is too good for the ****.

That's not what he said though. People end up in fights, sometimes over something trivial or sometimes through no fault of their own. It's not a black and white situation. If somebody launches an unprovoked attack then that's completely different.

I got into a couple of scraps when I was younger, not through my own fault. One guy tried to repeatedly ram my head into a wall on Niddry Street. I managed to punch him in the face to get him off me. If he'd died by falling back and hit his head off a kerb or whatever I probably would have been jailed.

Defending yourself, sure. Lashing out in anger, I get that too. Booting a defenceless person in the head? I will never ever understand that.

I watched this and found it extremely moving. In no way was it a gratuitous film about violence. It took 3 normal people who for various different reasons ending up throwing a punch that ultimately killed someone.  It clearly demonstrated that one punch is all it takes. It clearly demonstrated that the punishments certainly do not fit the crime. 5 years for manslaughter reduced to 45 months for the first lad?

What got me though was the last "story". The courage the wife must have showed to sit down with her husbands killer and forgive him? To say "its alright"? Massive respect to her.

This. You watch that and you just cant help thinking what an incredible person she is. You cant help thinking it might have helped the dad if he had been able to do the same thing.

I think in the first lads case, and to a certain extent the second guy too, they've been sentenced for the consequences rather than the act itself,although I suppose it shows that your playing Russian Roulette if you punch someone on the head, even just once.

This. You watch that and you just cant help thinking what an incredible person she is. You cant help thinking it might have helped the dad if he had been able to do the same thing.

I think in the first lads case, and to a certain extent the second guy too, they've been sentenced for the consequences rather than the act itself,although I suppose it shows that your playing Russian Roulette if you punch someone on the head, even just once.

Nah, the second guy was a lying snake who punched the guy from behind because he thought he was doing something wrong.  He then saw he had done something serious so fled the scene rather than offer help.  He then made up a story to cover his ass.  A social warrier who did not have the facts.  A brash, loud - short fused -  ignoramus.  The biggest travesty of that show was the death of that second guy.  

Compare that to the 3rd guy, who knew something bad had happened so turned himself in.  He did have shan hair though.

Nah, the second guy was a lying snake who punched the guy from behind because he thought he was doing something wrong.  He then saw he had done something serious so fled the scene rather than offer help.  He then made up a story to cover his ass.  A social warrier who did not have the facts.  A brash, loud - short fused -  ignoramus.  The biggest travesty of that show was the death of that second guy.  

Compare that to the 3rd guy, who knew something bad had happened so turned himself in.  He did have shan hair though.

Yes, I agree with all that. My point was that the action of punching a person in the head was identical in both cases. The circumstances were different and clearly the personalities were different, but the physical act is almost identical and the consequences in both cases were never meant to be so severe and couldn't really have been predicted as an outcome. Yes the second guy is a twat compared with the 3rd guy, but they both carried out the same physical act. One got 5 years, the other walked. So the punishment doesn't really fit the crime. The first laddie getting 5 years was very harsh in my opinion.

I was thinking about ways to avoid this sort of thing and other associated "street" violence.

Its common knowledge that CCTV is everywhere. I'm sure if people new there were cameras on them they might not do what they ending up doing. Take the cases in the program. Im sure that if you said to the 3 who punched "would you have done it if you had know CCTV was on you" the answer would be a resounding "NO".

Same for all street crime. You are less likely do commit it if you know you are on CCTV.

So fit these cameras with red lasers. You are lit up like a Christmas tree. The cameras are on you. Are you then going to throw that brick, throw a punch, kick someone, take a piss on the street etc etc etc knowing full well you are being filmed?

I'm damn sure if I new i was on CCTV (the laser on me) I would think twice. 

I was thinking about ways to avoid this sort of thing and other associated "street" violence.

Its common knowledge that CCTV is everywhere. I'm sure if people new there were cameras on them they might not do what they ending up doing. Take the cases in the program. Im sure that if you said to the 3 who punched "would you have done it if you had know CCTV was on you" the answer would be a resounding "NO".

Same for all street crime. You are less likely do commit it if you know you are on CCTV.

So fit these cameras with red lasers. You are lit up like a Christmas tree. The cameras are on you. Are you then going to throw that brick, throw a punch, kick someone, take a piss on the street etc etc etc knowing full well you are being filmed?

I'm damn sure if I new i was on CCTV (the laser on me) I would think twice. 

That would involve a full time team of staff in every town/city to watch out for potential flare ups.  A bit Big Brother-ish aswell.  

Bare in mind 2/3 were alcohol fulled.

Just ban drinking.

Yes, I agree with all that. My point was that the action of punching a person in the head was identical in both cases. The circumstances were different and clearly the personalities were different, but the physical act is almost identical and the consequences in both cases were never meant to be so severe and couldn't really have been predicted as an outcome. Yes the second guy is a twat compared with the 3rd guy, but they both carried out the same physical act. One got 5 years, the other walked. So the punishment doesn't really fit the crime. The first laddie getting 5 years was very harsh in my opinion.

Very simplistic way of looking at it and completely glosses over that in the 3rd incident it was decided, correctly in my opinion, that no crime had taken place. The guy was acting in self defence.

That would involve a full time team of staff in every town/city to watch out for potential flare ups.  A bit Big Brother-ish aswell.

You don't think we have that already. How many fully monitored CCTV cameras do you imagine there are in Edinburgh centre and suburbs combined ?

Very simplistic way of looking at it and completely glosses over that in the 3rd incident it was decided, correctly in my opinion, that no crime had taken place. The guy was acting in self defence.

True in some ways, but his alternative course of action would have been to walk or run away. I imagine that's why he feels so devastated at the choice he made. In fact it is precisely what the programme was about. The alpha males need to stand and fight and not lose face

True in some ways, but his alternative course of action would have been to walk or run away. I imagine that's why he feels so devastated at the choice he made. In fact it is precisely what the programme was about. The alpha males need to stand and fight and not lose face

Unfortunately I disagree completely. Watching the programme I didn't get at all that the underlying message they were getting across was to do with alpha males and their need to fight. I think it was the police woman who made that comment, but it wasn't a theme and there were, to my recollection, no psychologists etc continuing that message.

Also, guy number 3 didn't want to stand and fight. If he had wanted to then he had the perfect opportunity when the tall guy attacked him. He then restrained the tall guy and got him to the ground before letting him get up again and backing off. He didn't throw any punches at him. If he runs away then the 3 of them automatically chase him and if they catch him then they give him a beating. He would also have been leaving the guy he was with behind.

Only watching it back right now, the first prick got a gift of only 5 years, then had that reduced to just 3 and a quarter. This nation is an absolute shitehouse at times.

I also agree with the above that there are certain individuals who should not be classed as "human", some sort of subspecies of genetic evolutionary mutation.

Archived