WhatsApp Group Chats

Martin_T

Does anyone who uses these feel that they have had a negative impact on their friendships? I came to the realisation that a group I'm on for my old uni mates has probably contributed to us meeting up less, speaking over the phone less and probably contributed to more antagonistic relationship between us as it's constant wind ups.

Does anyone who uses these feel that they have had a negative impact on their friendships? I came to the realisation that a group I'm on for my old uni mates has probably contributed to us meeting up less, speaking over the phone less and probably contributed to more antagonistic relationship between us as it's constant wind ups.

Definitely has its pros and cons.

It can be great in some ways as it is an 'easy' way to keep in touch when otherwise you may not have.

However in a group of mates from uni two of them have had a complete fall out over petty wind ups on whatsapp and now will not speak to or meet each other which is madness. Nothing that couldn't be resolved after two minutes meeting face to face I'm sure.

Why would they mean you meet up less?

Part of that is geographical to be fair, but I think it's partly seen as a substitute for proper contact. Perhaps folk get a bit lazier because of it.

Its just the sad way of life now. Same scenario with teens, they'd rather play fifa online than play football for real with their mates.

Its just the sad way of life now. Same scenario with teens, they'd rather play fifa online than play football for real with their mates.

It's probably applicable to all age groups on various forms of social media. It's a watered down less granular approach to life.

For example, what are you more likely to play on a music streaming service, a specific album or just chap on a themed play list? The way people communicate and consume media has dramatically changed.

Fully agree with the OP. Add Facebook to that as well. No need to meet up with someone for a catch up when you know what they're up to every minute of the day. It's good for keeping in touch with those who do not live in the same country though.

Placid Casual

They are great until you say something about someone but forget they are in the chat as well...

That happened recently when a mate pulled out a football trip abroad at the last minute. It was very poor from him, but people didn't realise he was still in the chat and made comments about him being a pussy and under the thumb.

I find the app very useful, but same rules apply - don't be a dick!

Regal Kingston

What's App is brilliant.

I'm in several groups and generally find it extremely positive.

Never had a Facebook profile but through What's App I can speak to my pals in Australia and Canada

Was in a boozer last night that was two floors down so had no signal on my phone

As I was wired into their Wifi I was able to make a What's App phone call.

I think it makes people closer

Use them mostly to organize trips amongst big groups of people (e.g. my mates stag party next year).

Also got one main one simply entitledon't 'bevvy' withe the boys I went to school with. Easier for me than trying to pop over for a chat

Archived