Ever Fell in the Canal ?

Csaba's Broon Shoes

Csaba's Broon Shoes

While out cycling on Saturday i had the misfortune of Falling in the canal around the meggetland area .

While enjoying the early evening summer breeze , my mobile phone goes of and as i tried to answer the call my balance went , woah i yelled ,as i knew this was going to get rather wet .

I seemed to have landed in the water still on my bike as the thistles and jaggy nettles were left crumpled on the embankment .

I then found myself waist-high in the union canal along with a well spoken rower for company as he waved his concern in the distance .'' Are you alright old chap'' , ''just cooling off '' my reply

The fight was on to save my mountain bike sinking faster than the Hearts team of last season with my now water filed mobile in hand .

As i climbed back onto the embankment looking out for any witnesses i squelched back onto my bike and home for a 2nd bath .

Anybody know where you can buy wateproof mobiles?

Never fallen in, but have jumped in in Maryhill, Glasgow. Spent the night in A&E as a result....

Stuart Lyon

Trust a rower to put his oar in! :)

Apparently if you put your mobile in rice it absorbs the moisture and it may work again.

Csaba's Broon Shoes

Apparently if you put your mobile in rice it absorbs the moisture and it may work again.

It's still not working and seems dried out now , maybe go down to the chinese to night for a bowl of boiled n fried

coppercrutch
It's still not working and seems dried out now , maybe go down to the chinese to night for a bowl of boiled n fried

I think you may want to put it in uncooked rice.............

jamboinglasgow

Us rowers have experence of falling in canals and rivers, though I have never fallen in the Clyde I know quite a few people who have. Normally it isn't too bad to fall in but of late I dont want to fall in as there is a sewage works 3km upstream from my Uni's boathouse and every so often the sewage works likes to release some of its contents into the river (surely there must be a rule against that) normally it flows quite quickly out to sea but of late with not much rain, the river is flowing that fast and as the uni boathouse is on a corner it gets stuck there. The stench has been unbareable.

As for the canal, sometimes when I am hone from uni I go cycling along it, the aquaduct at Slateford is the worst, I know I am not supposed to cycle over it rather I am supposed to push my bike but when its quiet I sometimes cycle. Talk about being between a rock and a hard place, if I fall one side I'm in the water, fall the other and its a huge fall. Plus its the only part of the route which is cobbles, not the best surface for bikes.

In answer to the OP, no, I haven't. I run along the side of the canal though, and falling in's my biggest fear when I'm turning a corner on which there's a bridge, as I always expect to bang into a cyclist or something.

The Old Tolbooth
While out cycling on Saturday i had the misfortune of Falling in the canal around the meggetland area .

While enjoying the early evening summer breeze , my mobile phone goes of and as i tried to answer the call my balance went , woah i yelled ,as i knew this was going to get rather wet .

I seemed to have landed in the water still on my bike as the thistles and jaggy nettles were left crumpled on the embankment .

I then found myself waist-high in the union canal along with a well spoken rower for company as he waved his concern in the distance .'' Are you alright old chap'' , ''just cooling off '' my reply

The fight was on to save my mountain bike sinking faster than the Hearts team of last season with my now water filed mobile in hand .

As i climbed back onto the embankment looking out for any witnesses i squelched back onto my bike and home for a 2nd bath .

Mate I'm really sorry, but if I'd seen that I'd have been unable to help due to pishing myself laughing! :107years:

comradejambo

I directed my big brother into the canal once about 20 years ago. We used to go to Craiglockhart primary school and were playing Knightmare (the tv game where as team directs someone around the computer maze). My brother had his eyes closed (far too trusting) and I saw this as my chance.

Turn right... keep walking... SPLASH!! He has never lived it down and never trusted me since

:)

Csaba's Broon Shoes
I directed my big brother into the canal once about 20 years ago. We used to go to Craiglockhart primary school and were playing Knightmare (the tv game where as team directs someone around the computer maze). My brother had his eyes closed (far too trusting) and I saw this as my chance.

Turn right... keep walking... SPLASH!! He has never lived it down and never trusted me since

:)

I went to Craiglockhart also , we used to have a tarzan swing over the canal

never see them nowadays

I P Knightley

As a kid, I've been in that canal loads of times. Sometimes with bike, sometimes just a gentle shove from a 'mate'.

One of the finer ones was on the bike beside Craiglockhart school. Come down the road from the junction at Ashley Rd, set up a ramp on the canal towpath and see how far you'd get before the splash.

Ave not so much fell in ,,, more ran in , it was late @ night the skys where full with rain laden clouds, thought i would take a shortcut to the dell inn, via meggetland, so there i was running along the canal bank , (pitch black mind) & for some strange reason I about sort of turned , (parraelle with the boating/tennis club on the main rd ) & decided it would be best catch a bus as the rain clouds where breaking, so with that i ran straight in to the canal but in my defence it was covered in that green algee crap that sits on it :sad:

Never again

Never fallen in, but have jumped in in Maryhill, Glasgow. Spent the night in A&E as a result....

Muppet, they pull bodies outta there!

I had a mate at uni did that, well not really a mate, don't really like him that much.

I walked into the canal basin in Linthgow when I was about 16. My mate lived at a big house right next to the basin and a group of us were trying to 'sneak' up to the gates of the house without setting off the security lights (they were quite a new invention at the time and a bit of a novelty). I was concentrating so hard on not setting off the lights I stepped right off the towpath.

My application to ninja school was never answered.

I also fell into Linlithgow Loch. I was mucking about on the boats that get hired out to people fishing, just jumping in and out of them and I did that thing where I had my feet in the boat and my hands on the quay. The boat starts to drift away from the side and I'm slowly leaning further and further over until I'm horizontal with my feet in the boat and my hands on the side. There's nowhere else to go but the drink!

Was canoeing up at Ratho as part of an outdoor pursuits course when my boat capsized.

Not a pleasant experience in october.

Doctor FinnBarr

Incidently, I thought cyclists had to obey the rules of the road (albeit, you wern,t on the road) and couldn,t use mobiles. Incidently (good word) I,ve never been tempted to try and answer my mobile whilst riding the bike!

:confused:

Suspect Device

a good few years ago i was playing for Merchie at Harrison Park and the ball went in the canal - keen to keep the game flowing (;)) Darren Jackson (yes that one) jumped in to get it back.

never fell in myself though

I P Knightley
a good few years ago i was playing for Merchie at Harrison Park and the ball went in the canal - keen to keep the game flowing (;)) Darren Jackson (yes that one) jumped in to get it back.

never fell in myself though

What? The one who developed a scary brain disease? After being in the Union Canal at Harrison Park?

:eek: Best go for a full check-up, blood tests etc...

Guest casper

I was cycling (well pushing my bike because it's narrow) over the aquaduct a Longstone a few years back. There was a guy walking towards me who was obviously p!shed and the obvious happened. Me and an old woman who was out walking her dog managed to drag him out. He was wearing canvas type combats and was very heavy when wet. It looked pretty deep up there and being p!shed he would never have got out on his own.

Era Macaroons

lol are you Enid Blyton?

Suspect Device
What? The one who developed a scary brain disease? After being in the Union Canal at Harrison Park?

:eek: Best go for a full check-up, blood tests etc...

haha never thought of that

you could be onto something there Sherlock :)

Miller Jambo 60

You okay bud end off

Csaba's Broon Shoes
You okay bud end off

Just to update , the good news is that my mobile is now back working as normal , ya beauty saved me a few quid for a replacement , the bad news i have had no new calls since the moment of disaster on Saturday at 16:56

I was cycling home one night pretty drunk... I thought it would be empty because it was about 3am. Anyway thats not the point and yes im a bad man. I had a no suspension bikes rattling over the aquaduct. As I get to the last bit of it on the bend a bunch of 10-15 drunks wander onto the aquaduct and shield there eyes I borrowed my mates nuclear powered high beam lights. Anyway somehow I sneaked past them on the outside at full pace and somehow I dont know how never ended up in it. I never really stuck around to hear what the drunks had to say... I was half expecting a prod in from at least one of them.

Apparently thats the deepest bit of the whole canal... if its true or not i dont know.

Did it dry out naturally or did you try the uncooked rice trick?

What is the rice thing. or am I believing rubbish. I have a phone that got damp and died...

What is the rice thing. or am I believing rubbish. I have a phone that got damp and died...

Apparently if you stick a water-damaged phone into a bowl of uncooked rice, it'll absorb the moisture and dry your phone out.

Csaba's Broon Shoes
Did it dry out naturally or did you try the uncooked rice trick?

I gave it the old hair dryer method and after a few days of fresh air ,

hey presto , back in business .

Stuart Lyon

still tynie - if it works then fine. Will keep the hairdryer idea in mind in case I fall in the canal with my mobile!

Romanov Stole My Pension

How long do yous think it would take to cycle from Embra to Glesga?

anyone rememenr the abondandon half submerged barge that was at the bridge just dwon from lemington terrace in the mid 80's, used to jump back and forth onto it from the embankment until the inevitable happened and mistimed the jump smaking my face on the barge and going under the water....then halving to walk home stinking and wet

I P Knightley
anyone rememenr the abondandon half submerged barge that was at the bridge just dwon from lemington terrace in the mid 80's, used to jump back and forth onto it from the embankment until the inevitable happened and mistimed the jump smaking my face on the barge and going under the water....then halving to walk home stinking and wet

That thing somehow made its way up and down the canal. It spent a lot of time at the western end of the Longstone aqueduct and also between the Harrison Road and Ashley Terrace bridges. In all my years messing around by the canal, I never once stepped on the barge.

I once cycled on the canal - a very cold winter, must've been the mid '70s. I still shudder at the thought of what might've happened if the ice had cracked...

Walter Payton
I gave it the old hair dryer method and after a few days of fresh air ,

hey presto , back in business .

If its fresh water, drying the phone out with the hair dryer should work. I remember somehow ending up in one of the harbours around Sydney and my phone was a write off- the saltwater had completely ruined it.

Archived