Virgin Media - Area 11 Oversubscribed?

Col1874

I used to be a VM customer last year, and my then moved to Sky, but my sky package has now ended. I left VM last year due to a combination of price increases and broadband + TiVo on-demand services going down in the evenings. I have signed up with them again as the deal was amazing, but it won't be so amazing if it doesn't work well. Is anyone aware of issues in the area (Saughton Mains in particular). I've read that they've logged fault ref F003240166 and said the area needs a "CAT-C" whatever that is - apparently a big job.

Its not too late for me to pull out so just trying to find out from people near me if I've made a big mistake returning to VM.

ToadKiller Dog

Not in your area I am in virgin area 10 , I get the 200 speed broadband which generally works fine ,likely far faster than I need with few breakdowns though doesn't work well with You tube .

Certainly the BT internet at my work is forever crashing so they I wouldn't touch .

The TiVo box is slow and outdated the new 4k box is due out Nov 30th waiting to see what it offers but am considering moving to Sky Q if it's not up to much

...a bit disco

I've just signed up to an amazing deal in Area 11.

Only had one dropout in 5 days.

Big big mistake signing up with Virgin Media.

I'm still within my 14 days cancellation period and seriously considering cancelling the package as its been problem after problem.

Day 1 - I called to arrange 200mb broadband with the package, but after installation noticed that the sales guy signed me up to 100mb broadband.

Day 2 - Issues with speed, broadband down to around 1mb at times.

Day 3 - Expecting a call back following the call I made on day 1 regarding the internet speed - Nobody called me, so I called them at 5pm. I done a speed test prior to the call to check if the package had been upgraded but it was only giving me 98mb. Following the telephone call, I should have been upgraded to 200mb but I'm now only getting 50mb.

Absolutely fuming.

I just left Virgin (from area 11). No issues with speed but the Broadband would intermittently cut off pretty much daily. When I complaimed they said it was an issue at my end (simultaneously on 8 different devices). This went on a few months befor I got fed up and quit when they hiked the price. They finally admitted it was actually their fault and fixed the issue days before I left.

It was too late and I'd had enough. The Tivo box is horrifically slow too. Happy I left now.

It was too late and I'd had enough. The Tivo box is horrifically slow too. Happy I left now.

That's one thing I can't fault, its just their broadband letting them down. EH11 is a big area so its probably safe to say its just the people in my area affected by the same slow speed issue. Back to the TiVo box, the new box is a huge improvement to the original TiVo, plus they have wifi, which is what the old TiVo should have had. BBC iPlayer and YouTube load in 3-4 seconds compared to about 45 seconds to a minute on the old box.

InNothingWeTrust

Moved into area 11 at the start of the year and went with VM as they were the cheapest and I've not had any previous issues with them. Paid for 50mb which was fine off-peak, but we struggled to get 2mb on-peak. Neighbours who were also on VM had no issues.

Numerous phonecalls over 5 or 6 months later and they sent out an engineer who didn't even walk into the house and told me the area is oversubscribed. Straight on the phone to VM to tell them to bolt. No cancellation fee. BT have been brilliant since then.

Big big mistake signing up with Virgin Media.

I'm still within my 14 days cancellation period and seriously considering cancelling the package as its been problem after problem.

Day 1 - I called to arrange 200mb broadband with the package, but after installation noticed that the sales guy signed me up to 100mb broadband.

Day 2 - Issues with speed, broadband down to around 1mb at times.

Day 3 - Expecting a call back following the call I made on day 1 regarding the internet speed - Nobody called me, so I called them at 5pm. I done a speed test prior to the call to check if the package had been upgraded but it was only giving me 98mb. Following the telephone call, I should have been upgraded to 200mb but I'm now only getting 50mb.

Absolutely fuming.

If that's your threshold for being absolutely fuming then please for you're own safety never attempt to get broadband from BT.

I had 12 weeks of lies before the even managed to activate it.

...a bit disco

I'm in area 11, pay for 70Mb and get 75.

I'm in area 11

Contracted for up to 100, receiving 144ish.

Disco Dave was down on Virgin from the moment he joined. Ignore his views.

Service is sometimes shit though. I have regularly had the broadband just cut off on me when playing fifa. Also the On Demand is slow and often doesn't work or just bumps along with regular buffering type issues.

Been with VM for just over a year and have no complaints about their broadband. TV Anywhere can be bothersome and their customer service is appalling. The recent 'improvements' to the UI on Tivo are a joke - it take so much longer (I know its only seconds) between clicks on the remote and something happening on screen. Great scope for improvement in my view.

Archived