What do you think the club's idea of a good season is?

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I've genuinely no idea what Ann/Levein are expecting of Neilson this season. There must be some sort of expectation of him and surely 4th/5th in the league and nowhere in Europe or the cups (because let's face it, we all know how it will go in the Scottish Cup) can't be it. I'd like to think that Neilson can inject some magic into this team but I'm struggling to see where it's coming from. Feels proper stagnant at the moment.

It's been a dreadful season so far.

Put out of Europe by a Maltese pub team and insipid in the league cup.

We must be fighting for second place and reach the final of the Scottish for me now.

Geoff Kilpatrick

My benchmark was 3rd place and a semi-final.

The club's is probably Top 6 qualification.

Playing attacking football home and away because man for man we have better players than most teams in the league

I would think the club would be happy with top 6. No targets on cups as it's the luck of the draw.

We should finish 4th or 5th so this would be a good season in terms of finishing position.

Financially i'd imagine 3rd place is the target but 4th would keep him in a job.

If we came 3rd and got to the semi's of the Scottish Cup then despite recent performances that would be reasonable as a supporter.

If we don't beat Hamilton and Motherwell then we have no chance of 2nd and slim chance of 3rd because we've got Rangers twice in quick succession then Aberdeen not long after then after the winter break it's Celtic at Darkheid.

The period up until the winter break will define our season. The only positive for us is Rangers, Aberdeen and St Johnstone will all lose points to Celtic and one another no doubt, so there will always be a way back but we have thrown away probably 8 or 9 points which we should have had already and if that averages out over the season then we will finish 4th or even 5th which would certainly be unacceptable and should see a change in coach.

portobellojambo1

I'm pretty sure that there was something that came out from the club before season started saying they would be looking for progression. League wise, having finished 3rd last season, logic would make you think progression means finishing either 2nd or winning the league. However, I don't think either will happen, I don't think we will even finish 3rd again, so any other position would have to be classed as regression you would imagine, but someone above has said finishing 4th or 5th would be a good season. I do think we will finish in the top 6, but the bottom half of that, but would have to have been born minus anything between my ears to consider that as progression and good, it is a shit finish in a shit league.

As for the Scottish Cup, I'd think qtr finals is as far as we can consider getting, the team isn't progressing noticeably and as for some of the things you read, only on here not in real life, about Robbie still learning all it does is suggest he is as thick as shit. We are talking about someone who played the game for countless years (not very well I accept), coached for a few months before arriving at Tynecastle and has had 2.5 years in charge of the team. What is there about football and/or the players he still has to learn about.

It is also sad to read, again on here, today that there are now some fans who consider St Johnstone a better side than us but hey ho that is the way some people work. Other sides are looking good because we are not progressing, not because they are. We have lost a lot of points which deserve to be questioned but again too many HMFC fans are willing to accept such things and invent reasons.

Playing attacking football home and away because man for man we have better players than most teams in the league

Correct.

Attacking football is a start. Away form suggests a cup run is impossible under the current regime. Absolutely no chance of a cup run unless we get home ties

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

I don't think they care. As long as it can convincingly be filed under 'stability' they'll be cool.

The club will want european football. They've wanted progression since budge tool over. Last season top 6 was expected, this year I think it'll be Europe

Geoff Kilpatrick

The club will want european football. They've wanted progression since budge tool over. Last season top 6 was expected, this year I think it'll be Europe

Which means a minimum of 3rd or a Scottish Cup win.

Oh dear.

I'm pretty sure that there was something that came out from the club before season started saying they would be looking for progression. League wise, having finished 3rd last season, logic would make you think progression means finishing either 2nd or winning the league. However, I don't think either will happen, I don't think we will even finish 3rd again, so any other position would have to be classed as regression you would imagine, but someone above has said finishing 4th or 5th would be a good season. I do think we will finish in the top 6, but the bottom half of that, but would have to have been born minus anything between my ears to consider that as progression and good, it is a shit finish in a shit league.

As for the Scottish Cup, I'd think qtr finals is as far as we can consider getting, the team isn't progressing noticeably and as for some of the things you read, only on here not in real life, about Robbie still learning all it does is suggest he is as thick as shit. We are talking about someone who played the game for countless years (not very well I accept), coached for a few months before arriving at Tynecastle and has had 2.5 years in charge of the team. What is there about football and/or the players he still has to learn about.

It is also sad to read, again on here, today that there are now some fans who consider St Johnstone a better side than us but hey ho that is the way some people work. Other sides are looking good because we are not progressing, not because they are. We have lost a lot of points which deserve to be questioned but again too many HMFC fans are willing to accept such things and invent reasons.

The Hearts fans that seem to be accepting of Neilson's performances are getting lower each week..

What I want to start hearing is loud, vocal discontent at the matches from the Hearts supporters in the stands.. When we were unhappy before we were not shy to let the board or whoever know.. Now it seems we would rather just skulk off early..

Now I am not suggesting planes although it has to be said that the message that day is even truer now than it was then.. Neilson seems to be hiding away blissfully unaware that most think he is doing a shocking job..

Even if there is the chance at AGM's etc.. ask questions about why our dismal football is being accepted.. don't just meekly accept whatever Budge feeds you about the off the field issues which we know are going great.. We are a football team.. On the park is what counts more than anything else.. and on the park we are failing weekly..

I would think the club would be happy with top 6. No targets on cups as it's the luck of the draw.

We should finish 4th or 5th so this would be a good season in terms of finishing position.

Finishing 4th would be very disappointing, especially if there is. Kngood cup run. Finishing fifth would be unacceptable, and I would be concerned if Craig and Ann were happy with it.

We're not having a good season and to me it's finished already unless we go on a losing streak and get ourselves into trouble. With RN in charge then that is a possibility. We can forget the cup as we don't have that fire in the belly for that. I'm glad it's the international break as I'm really pissed off with RN and the way this clown is accepted by too many.

jimmy the jambo

I think this season is panning out like 2011/12,it has the exact same feeling to it IMO.

Some of the players can be really good,however can't rely on them week in week out,We had some really bizzare results back then and it was largely thanks to the wee diddy team for a pile of points and a win against Celtic in the league or we could've been easily in the bottom six.

Awful football with a definite negative on attacking football & inconsistency in the league,thankfully something pretty special happened at the end of that season.

I reckon the management team are hoping for something simular to happen?

Not going bust appears to be the limit of ambition. Otherwise we would not be putting up the the total shite we are having to witness.

Francis Albert

Top 6 and some signs of progress is probably the minimum expectation. But not getting into a relegation battle (given current form and the steady decline in our performances since the start of the season I wouldn't entirely rule it out) and continued near sell-outs (pretty much guaranteed given the level of ST sales)and I think Robbie is safe. After all he will have had 2 seasons out of 3 "flying high", he is young and still learning, blah blah blah.

I think this season is panning out like 2011/12,it has the exact same feeling to it IMO.

Some of the players can be really good,however can't rely on them week in week out,We had some really bizzare results back then and it was largely thanks to the wee diddy team for a pile of points and a win against Celtic in the league or we could've been easily in the bottom six.

Awful football with a definite negative on attacking football & inconsistency in the league,thankfully something pretty special happened at the end of that season.

I reckon the management team are hoping for something simular to happen?

Management hoping for something to happen appears to be the plan. Unfortunately for us there are other teams that actually have ambitions to win games and cups!

Clearly, we need to make a profit, and avoid debt. I think given our FoH subscriptions and crowds, we should be able to do this whilst still having a decent side and performance on the park.

I think, however, as we are still in this 'five year plan' the board will be happy with us avoiding a relegation fight meeting our financial objectives.

My opinion, of course.

I want to see the players trying every game. Closing players down and working hard for teammates.

Boys like Ryan Stevenson have never possessed the talent half our current team have but at least we ran his heart out.

We need winners and we need workrate. We seem to have a very talented bunch of work shy players.

We talk of high intensity training sessions but it does not transfer onto the pitch on match days which is disappointing

I want to see the players trying every game. Closing players down and working hard for teammates.

Boys like Ryan Stevenson have never possessed the talent half our current team have but at least we ran his heart out.

We need winners and we need workrate. We seem to have a very talented bunch of work shy players.

We talk of high intensity training sessions but it does not transfer onto the pitch on match days which is disappointing

Just re read the question. The clubs will be top 6 finish so security is there with the new stand being built. Europe will be a target but not a must

A team safe from relegation and capable of competing every game we play against all teams would be a basic minimum - free flowing attacking football added to this, the holy grail.

Clearly, we need to make a profit, and avoid debt. I think given our FoH subscriptions and crowds, we should be able to do this whilst still having a decent side and performance on the park.

I think, however, as we are still in this 'five year plan' the board will be happy with us avoiding a relegation fight meeting our financial objectives.

My opinion, of course.

Pretty much how I see the board's strategy.

I gave Nelson the benefit last season with the low player budget. He ended up 3rd, so they keep the low budget again.

I think the squad is good enough for 2nd, but Nelson is pulling in the reins, just not good enough.

As a poster said earlier, attacking football home and away. If anything it should be easier away as teams sit in less. Sadly, we should be getting closer to Celtic, but the opposite is happening.

2nd or 3rd and a good showing in the Cup. Semi-final at least.

Cup run is feasible if we don't get an away draw, especially at Parkhead.

Finishing 4th would be very disappointing, especially if there is. Kngood cup run. Finishing fifth would be unacceptable, and I would be concerned if Craig and Ann were happy with it.

I would think Craig and Ann wouldn't be too upet by 4th or 5th as it could be classed as some form of consolidation. Until we slip into the bottom 6 (a ridiculous set up anyway) I can't see any changes being made.

I would think Craig and Ann wouldn't be too upet by 4th or 5th as it could be classed as some form of consolidation. Until we slip into the bottom 6 (a ridiculous set up anyway) I can't see any changes being made.

Fifth would be terrible in my opinion.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Also worth bearing in mind that since 12/13 each final placement has really been the equivalent of a place lower for almost all of the last 30 years.

Everyone was excited about 3rd last season but it was really the same as fourth back in the day. Don't remember ever thinking fourth was an amazing season. Solid and unspectacular perhaps.

I don't know why, we treated the competition with disdain this season. Glorified friendlies to our management duo who'd already decided we weren't ready for the challenge of Malta's fourth best side before a ball was kicked.

Sadly, we should be getting closer to Celtic, but the opposite is happening.

Celtic have significantly improved their budget, playing squad and results since last season. To be closer to Celtic at this stage than we were last year we would have had to pick-up 29 points from 36 so far. I'm not suggesting that Hearts are having a good season and you are right that we are in a worse off position after 12 games than we were last year, but to suggest we should be gaining on Celtic is to deny reality.

The interesting thing to the response to the question is that most posts only see a good season and anything else is a bad season which should potentially result in the manager being sacked. My impression is that the club recognises a fairly large 'average season' middle ground. I'd say that 2nd or 3rd would be seen as a good season by the management, as even 3rd means outperforming at least one club with a bigger wage bill than Hearts. Getting to a final would also represent a good season from the clubs perspective I imagine.

I suspect coming 4th or 5th would represent an average season in the eyes of the club. A quarter of semi-final exit in the cup would also probably feel fairly average to the club (depending on the draw). 6th below average but may not cause massive alarm bells as it does feel like the club believe that a long-term manager is the way to go. Bottom 6th a poor season. Fighting relegation a very poor season. I'd imagine a bottom 6 finish would lead to Neilson's position being reviewed at the end of the season.

Winning the cup would be a great season for the fans (we watch to see our club win trophies above all else after all), but ironically from a club planning perspective I imagine that the club would be more concerned by us winning the cup and finishing bottom 6 than us finishing 5th and going out the cup in the first round. That should be the difference between the club perspective and the fan perspective.

Which means a minimum of 3rd or a Scottish Cup win.

Oh dear.

We can finish 3rd, though 4th could also get Europe and with a decent draw anyone can win the cup

2nd/3rd and qualify for Europe

4th could get Europe but would be standing still and so disappointing

Already missed target in Europe of getting to third round

We_are_the_Hearts

Dont give a shit about Europe now. Its garbage for wee clubs like ourselves. I want days out to Hampden, no been since March 2013. Get it sorted Robbie

Archived