Flight Compensation

Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle

Can anyone help out with the following...

By law are you due The tax for a flight if you didnt actually fly? In Feb time we misseda flight ( not our fault) and were told we would get the money back regardless. My friend who is dealing with it is being told By Airfrance and BAA this isnt the case and total being messed about. Its been 5 Months and no money.

So is there a Law that states you are able to claim the tax back or what exactly?

thanks

I had to cancel a flight booked with KLM and got my tax back.

Given Airfrance is now part of KLM I'm surprised to say the least.

From http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/724301/The-Sophie-Butler-report-Airport-nightmares.html

My airline ticket is non-refundable - but if I have to cancel it, can I claim back the tax?

While you have to forfeit the cost of the ticket you should be entitled to a refund of the tax, known as air-passenger duty or APD, though this claim might be complicated if you are cancelling a package holiday. You are unlikely to be able to claim the APD from the insurance company, because they'll expect you to claim this directly from the travel agent or airline. Most airlines will pay up, although some may argue that their administration fees use up part or all of the sum.

Sexton Hardcastle

Did they refund it back to you or did you have to chase it up? I seems a fairly easy task not sure if my mate is just dragging it on as hes a "little Skint" lets say.

Sexton Hardcastle

BAA's Website is awful. The only usefull bit happen to be "unavailable" Anyone know how long you have to wait or what the procedure is ?

I phoned them up and they refunded it to my credit card.

It was pretty straightforward, although if I hadn't initiated it then they wouldn't have told me. They may have tried to blag me too, but I stuck to my guns.

Sexton Hardcastle

right thanks. I will get my friend to do likewise. Did you phone Airfrance/KLM or BAA? Where does the responsibility lie?

Phoned the airline as it was they that took the money, so they would then pay that tax to the respective govt(s).

Not sure if there is a time bar though. I phoned up before the flight was due (as I was cancelling)....

Sexton Hardcastle

Did you get the full amount or di they take an administration fee. i just want the thing cleared up as its been going on for months. And if as he says he wrote/phoned and told them of the situation and they still havent refunded are they not breaking the law in some respects?

Did you get the full amount or di they take an administration fee. i just want the thing cleared up as its been going on for months. And if as he says he wrote/phoned and told them of the situation and they still havent refunded are they not breaking the law in some respects?

Full amount iirc.

Not sure about the law, however it would seem to pay tax on something you don't have or never used.

Glamorgan Jambo

When Air France/KLM screw up they usually give you the refund/compensation pretty quickly although the phone number to call is hidden away in their website.

This case probably depends on what the reason was for you missing the flight.

They'll tell you pretty quickly over the phone. And if they have a get out they'll use it.

Sexton Hardcastle

we missed our flight due to a fire alarm going off as we were walking to departures. Our flight was due to leave about 45 mins later. we with 100's of others were outside for over an hour. fianlly got abck inside after the time our flight was due to leave. there was chaos as others were in a similar situation.

we got in the huge queue for departures and kept and eye on the screen and askeda woman , some BAA or controller with radio etc for assitance as our flight suddenly said departed. she said it was okay and not to worry, the computers hadnt been updated. so we thought okay... go to the gate and the plane had gone ! we were raging. lossing 200 odd on match tickets and flights etc.

we spoke to the BAA desk who said to get our bags and contact airfrance as it seemed we had a good claim. Airfrance have since said they will not refund the whole flight but have also not mentioned the tax issue.

Miller Jambo 60
we missed our flight due to a fire alarm going off as we were walking to departures. Our flight was due to leave about 45 mins later. we with 100's of others were outside for over an hour. fianlly got abck inside after the time our flight was due to leave. there was chaos as others were in a similar situation.

we got in the huge queue for departures and kept and eye on the screen and askeda woman , some BAA or controller with radio etc for assitance as our flight suddenly said departed. she said it was okay and not to worry, the computers hadnt been updated. so we thought okay... go to the gate and the plane had gone ! we were raging. lossing 200 odd on match tickets and flights etc.

we spoke to the BAA desk who said to get our bags and contact airfrance as it seemed we had a good claim. Airfrance have since said they will not refund the whole flight but have also not mentioned the tax issue.

The joy of flying ma ha

Try contacting the Air Transport Users Council. You'll get their contact details from their website.They look into complaints about airlines and airports.

Glamorgan Jambo

Call Air France at 0870 1424343 and see how you get on. Be prepared to be put on hold and pushed around to other numbers but don't give up. I've done this with KLM a couple of times. The problem you may have could be the time lag between the flight and now and the fact that the airline certainly weren't at fault but you have a good case for the tax and arguably the flight surcharges.

Sexton Hardcastle

My mate says serviceAir and they are investigating. Iam i write if i call up AirFrance and demand the cost of the tax back as wel didnt fly? Are they braking the law if they refuse?

just want to be in a decent position to argue with whoever answers the phone in North India

Archived