Victory Shield - Hearts players

Maroonhio

Surprised nobody has mentioned this already but some of our wee Jambos will be playing in the Victory Shield starting today. First game ko at 2pm at the Oriam.

Footballfirst

Game live on Scottish National team Facebook page and YouTube channel

Sold out

I've booked tickets for all three games, so I'll be there.

And Karamoko Dembele remained on the bench... never seen so many togs at a youth match before...

f0643190178be115dae9737eaa4cea49.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Footballfirst

I thought Scotland played well in the first half with all four Hearts players giving a good account of themselves.  The opening goal came from a well worked short corner between Billy Gilmour (Rangers) and Anthony McDonald, the ball was played back to Dean Campbell (Aberdeen) whose cross reached Taylor Wilson (Hamilton) at the back post who slid the ball home from close range.

Northern Ireland came back into it in the second half, at least possession wise, but still didn't create many chances. 

Anthony McDonald and Harry Cochrane were subbed 15 minutes into the second half.

Scotland's second goal killed of the game when Marc Leonard sent Zac Butterworth (Rangers) through on goal and he finished with some aplomb.

Marc was subbed with four minutes left by Aaron Pressley (son of Steven), who is now at Aston Villa having previously played with Hearts before his dad went south.

Best player on the park was Billy Gilmour.  He's a little guy who showed a lot of skill and energy getting round the park.

Games live on Scottish National team Facebook page and YouTube channel

Sold out

Wales v Republic of Ireland on now. 1-0 to Irish after 20 minutes.

I'll need to go out and see the Oriam for myself. Looks great from the cameras, quite the facilities

Though the training marks on the indoor pitch are a distraction

We_are_the_Hearts

I thought Scotland played well in the first half with all four Hearts players giving a good account of themselves. The opening goal came from a well worked short corner between Billy Gilmour (Rangers) and Anthony McDonald, the ball was played back to Dean Campbell (Aberdeen) whose cross reached Taylor Wilson (Hamilton) at the back post who slid the ball home from close range.

Northern Ireland came back into it in the second half, at least possession wise, but still didn't create many chances.

Anthony McDonald and Harry Cochrane were subbed 15 minutes into the second half.

Scotland's second goal killed of the game when Marc Leonard sent Zac Butterworth (Rangers) through on goal and he finished with some aplomb.

Marc was subbed with four minutes left by Aaron Pressley (son of Steven), who is now at Aston Villa having previously played with Hearts before his dad went south.

Best player on the park was Billy Gilmour. He's a little guy who showed a lot of skill and energy getting round the park.

Gilmour was defo motm. Leonard had a good game as well. Pressley was some height and has plenty pace.

Footballfirst

I'll need to go out and see the Oriam for myself. Looks great from the cameras, quite the facilities

Though the training marks on the indoor pitch are a distraction

The "training marks" are the lines for a rugby pitch.

The "training marks" are the lines for a rugby pitch.

The Scotland Rugby League team have been training there.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Pressley son called Aaron. Different spelling I suppose but shouldn't surprise me. Hope the boy does well. Advantages and disadvantages with a famous parent

I turned up at the last minute expecting to be able to buy tickets, but managed to pick up a spare for free. Result!

Impressed with Billy Gilmour's composure on the ball and ability to turn his man. He barely gave the ball away in the entire 90 minutes. Thought maybe he needs to learn to be a bit more direct, but plenty time for him to add that to his game. 

Hadn't noticed that Leonard supplied the pass for Butterworth. Pressley junior looked a defender all the way with his size, but he seemed to be playing in attack.

Dembele looked tiny even in that company, he barely looks 13, but seemed to be enjoying himself despite not featuring.

The main difference from senior football seemed to be the scarcity of play taking place in either penalty box.

I turned up at the last minute expecting to be able to buy tickets, but managed to pick up a spare for free. Result!

Impressed with Billy Gilmour's composure on the ball and ability to turn his man. He barely gave the ball away in the entire 90 minutes. Thought maybe he needs to learn to be a bit more direct, but plenty time for him to add that to his game.

Hadn't noticed that Leonard supplied the pass for Butterworth. Pressley junior looked a defender all the way with his size, but he seemed to be playing in attack.

Dembele looked tiny even in that company, he barely looks 13, but seemed to be enjoying himself despite not featuring.

The main difference from senior football seemed to be the scarcity of play taking place in either penalty box.

It is a wee issue they seem to struggle to make direct chances on goal at this level

Second goal an exception

We_are_the_Hearts

Enjoyed the first game. Did anyone see the ireland 4 Wales 0 game and was it the same standard as the 1st game?

Footballfirst

Enjoyed the first game. Did anyone see the ireland 4 Wales 0 game and was it the same standard as the 1st game?

I saw the goals.  The ROI side had big defenders who created havoc at attacking set pieces which led to the first two goals. The third also came as a result of a header from a cross that the keeper could only parry back to the same player who scored easily.  Only the fourth goal came from a pass forward with the striker taking the ball round the keeper to score.

Their coach said afterwards:

"We were very good. It was a very good performance all across the team. We had our game plan and it worked out well. There are lots of areas we can improve upon but the players applied themselves really well."

"We were an attacking threat and our wide players did very well. The players are constantly learning at this level and we're trying to build up their library of knowledge. They've been great all week. We'll turn our heads to the next game against Northern Ireland."

"I felt it was very important to keep the clean sheet. The defence was excellent. We didn't let our concentration levels drop. Scoring four was excellent but keeping a clean sheet was also very pleasing."

We_are_the_Hearts

I saw the goals.  The ROI side had big defenders who created havoc at attacking set pieces which led to the first two goals. The third also came as a result of a header from a cross that the keeper could only parry back to the same player who scored easily.  Only the fourth goal came from a pass forward with the striker taking the ball round the keeper to score.

Set up a good game on Friday if both can win again today. Was sitting near JC, Levein, Neilson and Andy Kirk on Sunday so be interesting to see if anyone took their eye. From a non Hearts point of view only the Northern Ireland RB looked decent. Gilmour won't be available.

We_are_the_Hearts

Just went to get tickets for Friday and it's sold out!

Footballfirst

FT - ROI 2-1 N Ireland in today's first game.  ROI was the better side for much of the game.

Time to head out to Riccarton for the Scotland game.  I suspect that we will see quite a lot of changes from the first game in today's line-up as the coaches seek to give everyone some game time.

Team V Wales:

Mullen, Hamilton ©, Erhahon, Binks, Semple, Gilmour, K O'Connor, Butterworth, McGrath, Cochrane, Kerr

Subs: Mair, Jamie Walker, Wilson, Dembele, Leonard, McDonald, H O'Connor, Campbell, Josh Walker, Pressley, Patterson

We_are_the_Hearts

Team V Wales:

Mullen, Hamilton ©, Erhahon, Binks, Semple, Gilmour, K O'Connor, Butterworth, McGrath, Cochrane, Kerr

Subs: Mair, Jamie Walker, Wilson, Dembele, Leonard, McDonald, H O'Connor, Campbell, Josh Walker, Pressley, Patterson

Surprised Leonard out and Cochrane in from what I seen but Cochrane plays a bit deeper. Hamilton and Gilmour completely deserve to keep their places. Binks is at Spurs and pretty much strolled it to be fair. Can see Dembele getting a run out this time

Footballfirst

I didn't think Scotland started as well as they did in the first game but once they got the first goal they have dominated proceedings.

Squad rotation for this game. Can see young Dembele getting a chance later in game. Scotland should score more as they are pretty dominant.

Harry Cochrane getting praise for his work rate from commentator.

I didn't think Scotland started as well as they did in the first game but once they got the first goal they have dominated proceedings.

They missed Marc Leonard's link up play and Billy Gilmour not so involved.

They have gone more direct.

Footballfirst

Too many changes worked against us.  Like the first game, Scotland lost their dominance in the second half.  Wales competed better and had the better chances.  Semple did hit the bar and McGrath missed a couple of chances to seal the game, but that's how it goes sometimes.

Dembele had a few touches when he came on out wide and looked neat and tidy, but he was moved to a central position for the last 10 minutes or so, and I can't recall him even getting a touch.  He wasn't quick enough to put pressure on defenders either as he needed to take three strides to the defenders one.

Scotland will need to improve on Friday if they are to take the title.

Archived