TITP - past its best?

red21

What's folks opinion on TITP? For me its become too big and filled with folk who are no really interested in watching bands. I gave up on it two years ago - just seemed like too much cash and hassle. From 1999 to about 2003 the festival was the highlight of the year for me - then they increased the size, and for me it went downhill.

Sure folk will go and have a great weekend - perhaps I' just getting old...:sad:

Went for the first 6+ years but only cos I sneaked in each time ;) Can't be arsed with it now, too big, too full of neds, too regimented and expensive.

Get yerself to Wickerman, Tartan Heart and the likes, smaller and more fun. Was at Knockengorroch last month, great times, 4 days with bands from around the world and open till 6am each night :thumb:

Ivan Drago

its turned into radio 1 in the park, the lineup is just so bad it hurts.

the majority of people who go now just go because the Daily Record tells them.

Wicker man is where its at :)

its turned into radio 1 in the park, the lineup is just so bad it hurts.

the majority of people who go now just go because the Daily Record tells them.

Wicker man is where its at :)

I'd go to see Feeder, The Stereophonics, Hot Chip, The Zutons, etc.

Not because a tabloid tells me.

Ivan Drago
I'd go to see Feeder, The Stereophonics, Hot Chip, The Zutons, etc.

Not because a tabloid tells me.

you'd have **** taste in music though :P

Can you see what im saying though? last year was just a joke, the amount of people who went to see a band for one or two songs and then left. I'm not one of these people who goes to a festival just for the music or whatever, but last year was just dire.

Can you see what im saying though? last year was just a joke, the amount of people who went to see a band for one or two songs and then left. I'm not one of these people who goes to a festival just for the music or whatever, but last year was just dire.

Festivals for me are all about the occasion, music is secondary. Sure it's great if a band I like is there but if I can sit about in the sunshine with beer a-plenty, check out the ladies as they stroll by and chat nonsensically till 6am before stumbling back to my tent then it's all good :)

Connect looks fairly decent in terms of line up this year though and I'd love to get myself down to Bestival, just looks like a great place to be.

Festivals for me are all about the occasion, music is secondary. Sure it's great if a band I like is there but if I can sit about in the sunshine with beer a-plenty, check out the ladies as they stroll by and chat nonsensically till 6am before stumbling back to my tent then it's all good :)

Connect looks fairly decent in terms of line up this year though and I'd love to get myself down to Bestival, just looks like a great place to be.

planing on hitting connect if i get the money together, been to TitP loads o times and im just fed up of it now, fancied rock ness but couldnt make it

Legend Claws

Connect is the way forward but I feel it will head the same way as T in a few years once the neds get a hold of it.

If you go see The National, The Hold Steady, Yeasayer and Band of Horses I guarantee you it will be worth every penny.

Someone sell me a ticket :(

Gavsy Van Gaverson

If you are there with a group of like minded people you will have a great weekend.

There are neds everywhere. I wouldn't let the little scrotes ruin my weekend.

I'm going this year having missed only 1 TITP since 1997. I didn't go last year as I was in Ibiza and was well ****ed off that I missed it.

Sexton Hardcastle

I thought last years line up was decent. Alot better than this years. Artic Monkeys, fair enough they were there the previous year but new album and they are superb live. The views first big gig, Kasabien,Killers. Even some old boys like James, Brian Wilson etc...

This year isnt as good but theres a few bands ive wanted to see for a few years. Chem Bro's, SMD, Justice ...

Gerd Muller

I was interested in going to TITP this year because of Rage Against The Machine however I cant afford to go. The line up looks good in my opinion.

Probably one of the main reasons for not going is what the original poster said. I cant remember what year it was but it was when the NME stage was at opposite sides to the Main Stand, the following year they put it almost directly behind the Main Stage! The layout is awful, too many crowded parts.

Stopped going about 5 years ago.I don't know maybe you just get older and get fed up with the hassle of it.I stated to think it had just become like one big gala day.

If you go see The National, The Hold Steady, Yeasayer and Band of Horses I guarantee you it will be worth every penny.

Gutted I'm missing Band of Horses. Would've got a day ticket, but away on holiday :(.

Angry Haggis
TITP = Schemie infested rubbish.

Thing is...how do the "Schemie's" afford such a middle class outing?

I wouldn't say T in past it yet ive been to every one so far and had an amazing time at all its more about the music for me that the getting off my face on whatever i can get my hands on plus if you stick to the smaller stages like king tuts pet sounds and the futures then you are gonna find out alot emmerging talent that will be main stage material in a few years.

i can't wait for it to come around again :dribble:

The People's Chimp

I agree with the daily record sentiments. It's not really about the bands any more - they could book an array of utter toley and the masses would still queue overnight for their tickets.

It's a shame because across the stages there are a lot of decent bands and djs, but therein lies half the problem - it's so big, and so busy now, that it's nigh on impossible to get across the site to see bands within a short space of time.

I used to go all the time, but it seems like a bit too much of an effort now. connect is a definite for me this year; and i can't see it going the way of Titp, given what it is actually about. You can see the difference; for example, dave clarke is playing "a rare electro set" at connect, whereas at t in the p he'd be playing a techno set. I'm not denigrating techno here, but dave clarke is well known for drawing in a pretty bammy crowd, but that's offset at connect by playing elecrto - something which doesn't appeal to the neds.

For me, tinthep's prblem isn't just "the neds" but more the record reading average brigade. The type of people who think that texas are a good band.

Adi Dassler

I agree with what people are saying about loads not being there for the music, the Chelsea Dagger crowd, but as Gavsy has said if you're there with like minded people then you will have no problems.

Just avoid the majority of the bands on the Main Stage and you'll be alright, there are still plenty of good bands to see this year.

I'm much the same as Gavsy, i've always had a brilliant time up there and i'm sure it'll be the same this year.

Too many people just a wee bit up themselves i think.

I agree with what people are saying about loads not being there for the music, the Chelsea Dagger crowd, but as Gavsy has said if you're there with like minded people then you will have no problems.

Just avoid the majority of the bands on the Main Stage and you'll be alright, there are still plenty of good bands to see this year.

I'm much the same as Gavsy, i've always had a brilliant time up there and i'm sure it'll be the same this year.

Too many people just a wee bit up themselves i think.

dont get me wrong mate if i was there i know id have a great time - its impossible not to.

im just personally annoyed at the way the lineup is heading, although obviously i can see why there going that way. I used to swear by TitP every year, but iv actually turned down tickets for it this ear.

DJF, if you want a ticket then check ticketmaster at about 11 each day. You might not get a camping one but shouldn't have problems getting a weekend one.

Alternatively give tickets scotland on Rose Street a call. They had some left a few weeks ago.

Tbh I think this argument is just used by some people who see themself as elitist, ala the ive been a ST holder longer than you brigade

They just moan on about the hey day to make them sound better than they are

Its quite boring, if you dont like TITP or the people who go, don't go, problem solved

What's folks opinion on TITP? For me its become too big and filled with folk who are no really interested in watching bands. I gave up on it two years ago - just seemed like too much cash and hassle. From 1999 to about 2003 the festival was the highlight of the year for me - then they increased the size, and for me it went downhill.

Sure folk will go and have a great weekend - perhaps I' just getting old...:sad:

yup, I sold my ticket on for this years. Line up this year is crap as well.

Yes, it's got too big. Yes, it's full of people who are there just because it's the "in" thing to do. Yes, it's full of schemie neds. Yes, the lineup this year is a tad mediocre.

Am I still really looking forward to going yet again this year? Hell, yeah.

Three days of partying with random strangers, not caring what you look like, permanently with a drink in your hand, seeing one or two of your favourite bands, stumbling across something brilliant you didn't know were playing or have never heard of, getting a chance to sample bands you would never otherwise buy a ticket and hike through to Glasgow to see....... love it all.

Like a lot of things in life, it's what you make of it.

Totally agree. Far too big and not nearly as nice an experience as it was. Reading is my choice of Festival over the years although i have the opportunity to go to T for one day and will make use of it.

Boaby Prentice

It's all about money and nothing to do with music.

Neds - bucky brigade - the BBC - vip & hospitality for an extra tenner - theifs in the campsite - plastic lavys

No thanks

Festivals are crap these days.

Even Download, the only truly Metal/Hard Rock festival has a ****-poor lineup this year.

Tbh I think this argument is just used by some people who see themself as elitist, ala the ive been a ST holder longer than you brigade

Its quite boring, if you dont like TITP or the people who go, don't go, problem solved

Aye, like you'd ever leave yer bedroom long enough to get there let alone spend the w/e ;)

TITP is pish. Lots of other better festivals on around Scotland throughout the summer.

Went last year for the 1st time since i was about 10 last year. Thought it was class. Think its more in the group you're with and the event than the bands etc for me. See what i can n have a laugh in between. Can of Strongbow for breakfast was a first for me :confused:

The People's Chimp

Texas fan are you?

I'm just back from Rockness and found the whole thing so much more enjoyable than T. They had the majority of the site open till 4am each day and the campsite had a brilliant atmosphere. Still going to T but i doubt it'll top Rockness for me

Gavsy Van Gaverson
I'm just back from Rockness and found the whole thing so much more enjoyable than T. They had the majority of the site open till 4am each day and the campsite had a brilliant atmosphere. Still going to T but i doubt it'll top Rockness for me

I'm surpised with Rockness being on until 4am that it didn't attract even MORE neds.

:confused:

Sexton Hardcastle

Asbos/Curfews kick in over that time dont they?

Rockness getting a bit of a bad name. 2 deaths in 2 years. Havent been yet but the line up looked pretty good. Couldnt get time of work for both festivals. A bit cheaper as well. Maybe look into it next year

There was supposedly ned problems but I never noticed any the whole 3 days. Was tragic that young lad died, another died when he crashed on the way home

Archived