Dutch Tonight

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I thought the Dutch were magnificent tonight.

The 2 breakaways goals were superb.

The Italians must be spewing.

Nucky Thompson

Quality game:) There was never 3 goals in it, one offside and two counter attacks after the Italians had just about scored. The dutch are looking ***** hot though.

Quality game:) There was never 3 goals in it, one offside and two counter attacks after the Italians had just about scored. The dutch are looking ***** hot though.

Apparently wasnae offside.According to some Dutch referee, an Italian player bounced off Buffon and fell over the line, out of play, but this means he's keeping Van Nistelrooy onside cos he wasnae injured.

colinmaroon

The second goal was a thing of beauty!!!

Possible weakness in the Dutch?

Centre of defence!

They got away with a few tonight!

portobellojambo1

Delighted the Dutch won, hate negative teams, and at major international tournaments you can always count on the Italians to be negative. If they had scored first that game could have turned into one awful bore of 10 men constantly behind the ball.

From the teams that have been on show so far a final between Holland and Portugal would be super to watch if they can both maintain their early form.

Thig Ar Latha

Both Teams were magnificent.

Chad Sexington

Best team performance by a mile so far in the tournament.

They looked strong everywhere.

They have good players to come in as well.

That was some performance from Van Bronkhurst by the way. :eek:

Nucky Thompson
Apparently wasnae offside.According to some Dutch referee, an Italian player bounced off Buffon and fell over the line, out of play, but this means he's keeping Van Nistelrooy onside cos he wasnae injured.
I've never heard of that one before gadgey, I always thought when you were over the goal line you were out of play.

Charlie-Brown

The Dutch easily the best prepared & most ready team we've seen so far - also they beat a far higher standard of opposition than Portugal or Germany faced.

Great team performance by the Dutch tonight. First game so far I have enjoyed in the competition.

Nucky Thompson
Best team performance by a mile so far in the tournament.

They looked strong everywhere.

They have good players to come in as well.

That was some performance from Van Bronkhurst by the way. :eek:

I agree. Where does Van Bronkhurst get his energy from?

Perth to Paisley
Delighted the Dutch won, hate negative teams, and at major international tournaments you can always count on the Italians to be negative. If they had scored first that game could have turned into one awful bore of 10 men constantly behind the ball.

From the teams that have been on show so far a final between Holland and Portugal would be super to watch if they can both maintain their early form.

The Netherlands were good going forward tonight but are still weak in defence and will get found out as the games progress. In fact I can see the Italians going on to win the whole thing as they are capable of tightening up at the back. Lets get one sorted now in that 'defending' is part of the game and can be entertaining in its own right, the Italians were not in any way negative tonight even before the first [offside] goal. if you want end to end 'goals' watch basketball!

Forza Azzurri.

yvonnejambo

By far the best team so far, they do well by playing as a team the passing was top notch and that is where the Italians failed

Chad Sexington
The Netherlands were good going forward tonight but are still weak in defence and will get found out as the games progress. In fact I can see the Italians going on to win the whole thing as they are capable of tightening up at the back. Lets get one sorted now in that 'defending' is part of the game and can be entertaining in its own right, the Italians were not in any way negative tonight even before the first [offside] goal. if you want end to end 'goals' watch basketball!

Forza Azzurri.

But the Dutch kept a clean sheet. The Italians lost 3.

:)

Perth to Paisley
But the Dutch kept a clean sheet. The Italians lost 3.

:)

Pirlo's free kick that left VDS flat footed and Van der Sars save made that possible amongst other things. The Italians defence was poor tonight but they can and will sort that out.

As said on the other thread, I have backed Holland and was delighted to see how well they played. More goals for Ruud and a wee win would please me largely. :)

portobellojambo1

Forza Azzurri.

Good for you, personally I don't give a flying feck for the Italians, why should I, delighted they got beat, and hate their style of play.

Football won tonight, the sort of football that should win major tournaments, played by a team who, as you say cannot defend, and kept a clean sheet, against a team who always try to defend and spoil, and lost 3.

The best form of defence is attack.

coppercrutch

I was going to bet on Holland before the game at 12-1 but the bookies had stopped their tournament winners bets !!

I am actually glad I didn't. Holland looked amazing, but they looked too good.

I can't remember a team starting a tournament that well and going on to win it. Anyone ?

coppercrutch
Good for you, personally I don't give a flying feck for the Italians, why should I, delighted they got beat, and hate their style of play.

Football won tonight, the sort of football that should win major tournaments, played by a team who, as you say cannot defend, and kept a clean sheet, against a team who always try to defend and spoil, and lost 3.

The best form of defence is attack.

Think you are being blinded by past performances.

Their style of play tonight was excellent. Fast attacking, straight to the point. Surprisingly !!

Chad Sexington

Their style of play tonight was excellent. Fast attacking, straight to the point. Surprisingly !!

I think thats because there hand was forced by Hollands two first half goals.

They had to come forward.

I'm sure they would have been satisfied with a 0-0 before tonights game with France drawing earlier.

They are great to watch when the go forward though. They just don't do it enough for me.

As said on the other thread, I have backed Holland and was delighted to see how well they played. More goals for Ruud and a wee win would please me largely. :)

yeah me to as i have VDS in my fantasy team i have also said holland would win the tournament out right.

coppercrutch
I think thats because there hand was forced by Hollands two first half goals.

They had to come forward.

I'm sure they would have been satisfied with a 0-0 before tonights game with France drawing earlier.

They are great to watch when the go forward though. They just don't do it enough for me.

Well they are certainly going to in their next 2 games at least..;)

Buffalo Bill

If it's a Holland v Portugal final then I'm pitching up at your house for the entire day.

Buffalo Bill

Chad Sexington
If it's a Holland v Portugal final then I'm pitching up at your house for the entire day.

Buffalo Bill

Is that a threat or a promise?

;)

I was going to bet on Holland before the game at 12-1 but the bookies had stopped their tournament winners bets !!

I can't remember a team starting a tournament that well and going on to win it. Anyone ?

Know a few on at 12s now 5s :rolleyes:

Fantastic result. Beyond my most optimistic hopes.

Well done to the Bilan UEFA bound midfield :fing10:

The McDonald's advertising board summed it up for me.

:653:

The Dutch looked very good tonight although I thought 3-0 flattered them slightly as Italy had some very good chances too.

I still reckon Italy will go through with the Dutch and would fancy them to beat anyone from group D and progress to at least the semi's.

Hope Holland can keep up that sort of form as it can only be good for the tournament but how many times have we seen teams who looked great in the group stages and everyone has them down as a stick on as winners only to see them go out in the 2nd round/quarters. Argentina at the last world cup anyone?

Ivan Drago

so was that goal onside or not? surely its still onside coz if that guy going off the pitvh made it offside then the whole defence could ust stay off the pitch and play everyone offside?! :confused:

Only a Game
so was that goal onside or not? surely its still onside coz if that guy going off the pitvh made it offside then the whole defence could ust stay off the pitch and play everyone offside?! :confused:

Onside. If the defender leaves the pitch either deliberately or accidentally he counts as being on the pitch on the goal line at the nearest point to where he left the pitch. If he does it deliberately its a booking. if its accidental, as it was tonight, he merely plays the attacking side onside.

I had it up earlier from a website about 3 links away from FIFA.com but cant find it now.

Ivan Drago
Onside. If the defender leaves the pitch either deliberately or accidentally he counts as being on the pitch on the goal line at the nearest point to where he left the pitch. If he does it deliberately its a booking. if its accidental, as it was tonight, he merely plays the attacking side onside.

I had it up earlier from a website about 3 links away from FIFA.com but cant find it now.

thats what i thought, i was getting really wound up at the itv commentators calling it offside

Only a Game
thats what i thought, i was getting really wound up at the itv commentators calling it offside

I'm wondering if Hansen would have spotted it ? Shearer probably would. O'Neill wouldnt and Lineker would have had the sense to ask someone to find out.

I assume they got it right in their highlights programme ?

Even van Nistelroy himself said he was offside but got away with it.

An unusual one fair enough, but surely not that hard to get right by the time the after match summary came along.

shaun.lawson

1990: West Germany 4, an excellent Yugoslavia 1. Also, the French looked the best side in it from their very first game, a 3-0 drubbing of Denmark in 2000. That said though, these are exceptions, and I agree with you: it's better to start unspectacularly and gradually move through the gears than produce such brilliance so early. Which bodes well for Germany, and suggests Holland - like Spain and the Czechs two years ago, or Denmark in 1986 - will blow up at some point (doubt it'll be before the semis, mind!).

shaun.lawson

I agree with this. Stereotypes have a lot to answer for here: thus, Brazil or Holland always play 'the beautiful game', even though the former can kick with the best of them, and the latter were turned into a long ball team by Dick Advocaat at Euro 2004! Meanwhile, Germany are always functional and efficient, even when it was obvious how much flair they'd clearly employ when Klinsmann was in charge; and Italy, defensive and cynical.

Sorry, but it's just not true! Both Italy's World Cup winning sides in the modern era played positive, enterprising football: in 1982, Enzo Bearzot's great triumph was to conquer their previous negative, destructive mindet (even if, to be fair, he did have a blind spot concerning the most inappropriately named player in the history of the game: one Claudio Gentile) - and show me a Marcello Lippi team known for its defensiveness? Italy's performances were perfectly fine against Ghana, the Czech Republic and Ukraine - and damn it, quite brilliant against Germany in the semis. They went for it throughout the game, and even more so in extra time - in a World Cup semi-final, in Germany's backyard. How many other sides would've had the balls to do the same?

The point, though, is it's all about finding a balance. A breathtakingly beautiful team in 1990 failed because it was just too creative, and should've employed its hard man, Carlo Ancelotti, in the semi-final against an Argentine side playing virtual streetfighter football. The idiocy of Arrigo Sacchi screwed up the chances of another easy on the eye team at Euro 96; and now, Donadoni seems to have abandoned the system which served them so well two years ago. Going with both Pirlo and Ambrosini last night was always a risk last night - and once they'd conceded the first goal, were always vulnerable to the pace of the Dutch on the counter.

But it's not Italy's fault that their players have the nous, savvy and tactical wit to almost never play like the most attractive Brazilian, Dutch, Spanish or Portugese sides. Because in truth, all four nations I've just mentioned have found that without real defensive organisation and a more pragmatic approach, you invariably come a cropper against those who man mark and choke off space. I doubt it'll be any different this time: Italy, past masters at starting slowly, cannot yet be ruled out - while Holland will have to go some to match what they produced on a memorable evening in Berne.

I got 14/1 for them to win and 66/1 for them to win and RVN to be top goalscorer. :)

It was a pleasure to watch that last night. I enjoyed the Germany / Poland game but the Dutch and Italians put on a brilliant show.

As for MOTM I thought Sneider was magnificent until he tired near the end.

Bert Le Clos

From BBC website;

But what looked a desperately poor decision was, in fact, a brilliant piece of officiating, according to the chairman of Austria's refereeing commission Gerhard Kapl and Premier League referees' chief Keith Hackett.

Both said Van Nistelrooy was played onside by Italy's Christian Panucci, who had been injured seconds earlier and was lying behind the goal when the Dutch striker scored.

Kapl said the goal was "100% correct, without any doubt", quoting article 11.4.1. of the refereeing code that states "an opposing player cannot be offside when one of the last two defenders has left the field of play" - as in the case of Panucci.

Hackett added: "I have listened to the commentators criticising the first Holland goal stating that Van Nistelrooy was offside.

Christian Panucci went off through contact with his own goalkeeper Buffon.

"He is still considered part of the game.

"The fact is the assistant was correct. The defender who slid off the field is still regarded as active."

Buffalo Bill
Is that a threat or a promise?

;)

It's a thromise.

Buffalo Bill

Gavsy Van Gaverson
Robben and Babel you mean?

Nope - Babel withdrew from the Dutch squad to be replaced by Bouhlarouz.

Archived