Windows 8.1 problem

Gorgiewave

Ever since my laptop announced to me that it was upgrading to Windows 8.1 and it wouldn't take No for an answer any longer, I've had a problem: when I leave the computer for just a few minutes, the screen goes black and no space bar or mouse tapping will bring back my beautiful Union Jack wallpaper. However, if I have music on, it will usually continue. I have to power off and power on every time and it comes back no problem.

This began the very day 8.1 started so I'm blaming that.

Does anybody know what's up and what can be done about it?

Thanks for any help.

Right click the wee battery icon in the taskbar and select Power Options.  Then on the left hand side, select Choose when to turn off the display.

Set all the options to Never, or any other timescale that suits you.

Having a wee search around with "Windows 8.1 Black Screen Idle" seems to suggest this will fix it, but you might have other problems.  Let me know how you get on with this :thumbsup:

Also, you might want to try the following:

Click Start and then Control Panel.  Select Device Manager from the list (if you have it set to Category View, it's under Hardware and Sound, then it's the top right option, and if it's list view, you'll see it straight away).

In Device Manager, Click on Display Adapters and you will have an option for Intel HD Graphics.  Right Click on it and select "Update Driver Software" and then let it Search Automatically.

This is just to make sure the driver is up to date :thumbsup:

Also, you might want to try the following:

Click Start and then Control Panel.  Select Device Manager from the list (if you have it set to Category View, it's under Hardware and Sound, then it's the top right option, and if it's list view, you'll see it straight away).

In Device Manager, Click on Display Adapters and you will have an option for Intel HD Graphics.  Right Click on it and select "Update Driver Software" and then let it Search Automatically.

This is just to make sure the driver is up to date :thumbsup:

I've done everything you've advised. It says the driver is updated.

Everything is now set at never. I'll see what happens when I leave it alone for a while.

Thanks for your help. That's a great effort, much appreciated and a lot of time saved.

It's working a dream. I can now go for a shite and look forward to resuming where I left off. Like a boss.

It's working a dream. I can now go for a shite and look forward to resuming where I left off. Like a boss.

Good stuff, glad to be of help :)

Horatio Caine

Install Windows 10, never had an ounce of bother since I installed it.

Never thought I would say that about Microsoft.

Lucky you!  Windows 10 goes fine until it does one of its major updates.  Then moves your files and fecks up your internet settings.

Archived