U ok hun? x

Ray Gin

One suspects that there shall be many Sevconians displeased by this announcement:

?Hun? and ?Jock? not offensive, says Ofcom research

DESCRIBING a Scot as a ?Jock? is not offensive with the word ?hun? also deemed as ?mild language?, according to research by communications regulator Ofcom. The watchdog has ranked offensive terms on a scale from ?mild? to ?strongest?.

So, referring to a Japanese person as a Jap is seen as offensive... REALLY?!?!?

Another one I don't understand is why the shortened name for Pakistan nationals is seen as offensive. Since 'Stan' means 'land' referring to people from Scotland as a 'Scot' is no different to others calling Pakistan nationals their shortened name...

Its just my opinion and no doubt someone will get offended and shoot me down but it is a valid argument.

I get offended when referred to as 'Jock'. It's not used by other Scots and is only used in a derogatory fashion.

Bowmans_Boot

Another one I don't understand is why the shortened name for Pakistan nationals is seen as offensive. Since 'Stan' means 'land' referring to people from Scotland as a 'Scot' is no different to others calling Pakistan nationals their shortened name...

Its just my opinion and no doubt someone will get offended and shoot me down but it is a valid argument.

It was pretty much always used in a derogatory manner, similar to "Jock". For that reason it would be taken as being offensive.

Bowmans_Boot

I get offended when referred to as 'Jock'. It's not used by other Scots and is only used in a derogatory fashion.

I don't get overly offended by it, but it certainly isn't meant as an affectionate term. I used to go to England for work a lot and people only ever used it as a way of picking fun at Scots.

Bridge of Djoum

I spent years in the armed forces, mainly based abroad and in England. Always called a Jock, never once did it bother me. 

The shortened names for Japanese and Pakistani are, IMO, offensive terms though. 

I used to work with an ex English squadie and he always called me Jock. I don't think he ever called me by my real name. I have also been told any Scots soldiers in barracks down south are known as Jock. Nothing to get worked up about, just good banter if you ask me.

I P Knightley

Did anyone else here used to play "**** and Commandos" in the late '60s and early '70s. 

Semantically, you're not at all wrong. A Kazakh won't take offence at being called a Kazakh; likewise with Afghan(i) or Tajiki. However, the phrase P4k1 was used derogatorily (and liberally) in the '70s and '80s and, to my observation, regardless of whether the person was from Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh etc. The knuckleheads made it an offensive term.

I've sounded this out with a couple of very good Pakistani friends. If I were to use the word as an adjective in conversation with one or both of them, they'd be fine. If I said it with others from different nationalities in earshot, they'd be horrified. 

Odd one but best consigned to the bin when it's not all that hard to say 'Pakistani' instead. 

This puzzles me also, it has been hijacked by racists no doubt, but I agree with your point.

However innocent the intentions, the terms "Jap", "****" and "Chinky" have been used for decades in a derogatory fashion as a slur by racists, often preceded by the word '****ing' and followed by the word "b*******". They are also frequently used for people who aren't even from Japan, Pakistan or China. As such the words have taken on an offensive and hurtful context and are no longer acceptable. 

Edit - apparently kickback, however, only censors the Pakistani slur.

However innocent the intentions, the terms "Jap", "****" and "Chinky" have been used for decades in a derogatory fashion as a slur by racists, often preceded by the word '****ing' and followed by the word "b*******". They are also frequently used for people who aren't even from Japan, Pakistan or China. As such the words have taken on an offensive and hurtful context and are no longer acceptable.

Agreed, I'd never use the term but it seem silly after all these years it's still seen as derogatory.

Probably got something to do with anyone from south-east Asia being called *shortened term for Pakistanis* by daft racists.

What a sad pathetic world we live in where we have to be told when and where not to be offended.  I don't believe being offended even exists as a human reaction.  Total bullshit.

luckyBatistuta

I never use the words P#ki,Ch##ky, or J#ps, I would say that I've been called a jock many times and mostly in a derogatory or an aggressive manner. It doesn't really bother me personally being called it. I just try and ignore the Neanderthal that's calling me it for an abusive reason, as I'm not going to lower myself to their level.

What a sad pathetic world we live in where we have to be told when and where not to be offended. I don't believe being offended even exists as a human reaction. Total bullshit.

People do indeed get offended. I seem to have an unintentional knack for it.

MacDonald Jardine

One suspects that there shall be many Sevconians displeased by this announcement:

?Hun? and ?Jock? not offensive, says Ofcom research

DESCRIBING a Scot as a ?Jock? is not offensive with the word ?hun? also deemed as ?mild language?, according to research by communications regulator Ofcom. The watchdog has ranked offensive terms on a scale from ?mild? to ?strongest?.

Read more at: http://www.scotsman.com/news/hun-and-jock-not-offensive-says-ofcom-research-1-4248100

I take it you skipped over the part "However seen as more offensive to those familiar with its history and use as a sectarian insult"?

There's also a quote from Ofcom saying participants found it difficult because they didn't know what some of the words meant.

Overall it sounds like a thoroughly worthwhile exercise.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

It's only Rangers fans who have tried to shoe-horn a religious angle into the word "Hun" that pretend to be offended by it.

There is not and never has been a religious factor to that word in my view. It's just a derogation for a Rangers fan and nothing else.

I don't believe even they are actually offended by it despite what they'd have you believe.

It's only Rangers fans who have tried to shoe-horn a religious angle into the word "Hun" that pretend to be offended by it.

There is not and never has been a religious factor to that word in my view. It's just a derogation for a Rangers fan and nothing else.

I don't believe even they are actually offended by it despite what they'd have you believe.

This. Never been aware of any religious slant to the term.

John Findlay

I must be one of life's lucky people. In that I have skin as thick ad an Elephant's bahookie and just as crinkly. My first two days in the Royal.Navy were an eye opener. Was called an East Coast by a chief from the West of Scotland and the next day a FRISP by an English chief. FRISP standing for a feckin repugnant ignorant Scottish pig. I had been fore warned that this would happen ad they wanted a reaction to see if I could or couldn't take it. Having been brought up for most of my childhood in West Pilton. I could take it. Name calling is not right but for me personally it is water off a duck's back. I just think I'm made of sterner stuff than many nowadays.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

I used to get it all the time of a senior guy I worked with when I was an apprentice in Manchester. Jock this, Jock that. "Get the Sweaty to do it" 

Never said with any form of goodwill. Nowadays I'd probably have a claim for bullying!!

I spent years in the armed forces, mainly based abroad and in England. Always called a Jock, never once did it bother me. 

Same here.

Bridge of Djoum

I must be one of life's lucky people. In that I have skin as thick ad an Elephant's bahookie and just as crinkly. My first two days in the Royal.Navy were an eye opener. Was called an East Coast ###### by a chief from the West of Scotland and the next day a FRISP by an English chief. FRISP standing for a feckin repugnant ignorant Scottish pig. I had been fore warned that this would happen ad they wanted a reaction to see if I could or couldn't take it. Having been brought up for most of my childhood in West Pilton. I could take it. Name calling is not right but for me personally it is water off a duck's back. I just think I'm made of sterner stuff than many nowadays.

When did you serve John?

I was 90-97, 1st sea draft the Edinburgh, then Sheffield.

I always thought the R in FRISP was retarded. 

John Findlay

When did you serve John?

I was 90-97, 1st sea draft the Edinburgh, then Sheffield.

I always thought the R in FRISP was retarded.

Served 1979-1990. 1st sea draft was the Intrepid. I was on her for the Falkland conflict. Then the Fife and Andromeda. With a loan draft on the Brazen. Whilst on Andromeda the Edinburgh did her very first deployment which was an Armilla patrol to the Persian Gulf. Played fitbaw against The Edinburgh in Gibraltar and was jealous as they wore Hearts strips. Game ended a 2-2 draw.

Edit - apparently kickback, however, only censors the Pakistani slur.

I'm off to the restaurant thread :whistling:

Bridge of Djoum

Served 1979-1990. 1st sea draft was the Intrepid. I was on her for the Falkland conflict. Then the Fife and Andromeda. With a loan draft on the Brazen. Whilst on Andromeda the Edinburgh did her very first deployment which was an Armilla patrol to the Persian Gulf. Played fitbaw against The Edinburgh in Gibraltar and was jealous as they wore Hearts strips. Game ended a 2-2 draw.

Did you score, on or off the park?

Gib was/is a notoriously difficult run ashore to pull. I tried my arm several times at Charlie's Hole in the Wall, to no avail.

My mate was in Gib last week, he was sending me pics of the Donkey's flip-flop, hasn't changed much.

John Findlay

Did you score, on or off the park?

Gib was/is a notoriously difficult run ashore to pull. I tried my arm several times at Charlie's Hole in the Wall, to no avail.

My mate was in Gib last week, he was sending me pics of the Donkey's flip-flop, hasn't changed much.

Never scored on the park. I was a goalie. Never scored off the park in Gib either. Not even at Charlie's hole in the wall. Great place for alcoholics Gib. I did do seven rock races

Rudolf's Mate

One of my oldest and best mates, all through primary was known to everyone as chinky. It certainly wasn't meant in a derogatory way however we stopped calling him it as we got older.

Agree with this. It may at one time have been a fairly innocent term meant almost affectionately, but nowadays, in my experience anyway, it's used by tossers who wish to give offence.

One of my oldest and best mates, all through primary was known to everyone as chinky. It certainly wasn't meant in a derogatory way however we stopped calling him it as we got older.

edited by Mods for the name what he was known (it is a derogatory term usually tbf) although it was not meant in that way.

Rudolf's Mate

Used to know a guy known as **** (again not in a derogatory way).

Not sure if you're being serious. Regardless it was early 80's however I wouldn't dream of using that term now or even since primary. I was simply highlighting the fact how things and times change.

Governor Tarkin

Off topic:

Wish I'd had the balls to join the navy as a nipper.

Looked into it a few years ago when I completed my first degree as a mature student but was advised by the recruiter that although I wasn't to old to sign up I was too old to enter into the sort of job where my education would be relevant.

On topic:

I work daily with intelligent folk from all over the planet, and a measure of casual racism in amongst the usual workplace banter is the norm. It doesn't bother me or anyone else one bit - as long as it's jovial and tongue-in-cheek - which it is. As with most other things, context is definately key.

Governor Tarkin

Had a giggle reading that :lol:

:lol:

One of the 'Polaks' and 'Darkys' I'm at work with had a good laugh at it too.

The racial stuff aside, 'beef-curtains' seemes to be a particular favourite.

I never use the words P#ki,Ch##ky, or J#ps, I would say that I've been called a jock many times and mostly in a derogatory or an aggressive manner. It doesn't really bother me personally being called it. I just try and ignore the Neanderthal that's calling me it for an abusive reason, as I'm not going to lower myself to their level.

On the Bristol City fans forum some City welt told  me to "Jock off" as a result my response got me banned from the forum by stating that I should have listened to my mates who told me all City fans are pricks. Years on I can safely say City fans are bitter twisted w@nkers only matched by those bitter .net posters'. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Jock is like Taff. Not offensive in the slightest.

As for Hun, the thick Hun support were the only ones trying to get that outlawed for reasons known only to them.

Jock is like Taff. Not offensive in the slightest.

As for Hun, the thick Hun support were the only ones trying to get that outlawed for reasons known only to them.

I think it is because originally Seliiik were classed as the 'Hun'.

Packy was short for Patrick where I grew up.

Different spelling though isn't it?

Packy was short for Patrick where I grew up.

Different spelling though isn't it?

Aye but trying to get that through to some people is bloody difficult especially when in a busy pub!! "What you fur Packy?!"

Archived