Problem When Running

neave

Alright chaps, I'm looking for a wee bit of advice/diagnosis from all you budding doctors out there. I would go to my own but it's all the way in Stirling and I don't want to bother him about something which may be absolutely nothing.

The past 3 or 4 times I've gone for a run, I've developed a sharp, crushing sort of pain on the right side of my chest; just a little to the top right of where my heart would be if it was on the right side of my chest. The pain gets progressively worse until I have to stop running as it's too much to bear and it feels like my lung or muscles or whatever are being crushed. When I stop, I often have difficulty breathing sufficiently, as the pain when my chest expands really is quite considerable and I have to resort to short, sharp breaths.

It takes about a minute or two of slow walking or not moving altogether to go away and, when I start running again, comes back after about a minute, and the stop/start cycle has to be repeated. The strange thing is, the pain has started to develop earlier and earlier each time I've started running, with it starting after only about 25/30 minutes today (I usually run for about 60-80).

I like to think I keep myself relatively fit: I run about 10-15 miles a week, do sit-ups every other day and eat relatively healthily so this is getting a bit concerning. Surely it's not just a stitch?

Any advice is much appreciated

coppercrutch

I run regularly myself. If I was experiencing chest pain like that during excercise I would head off to the A & E as soon as possible. Don't mess about with that sort of thing. Could be an underlying problem. It will probably just be muscle pain as you say but not worth just assuming it is nothing.

If this happened to a footballer they would be off to hospital in minutes for a check up. Just because you are not a pro doesn't mean you shouldn't do the same. :)

Get into the A & E. They will give you a once over. ECG, blood samples etc.. and you should have peace of mind. You will feel like a bit of a **** (Did it myself) but will be well chuffed once you know nothing is wrong. And your national insurance means you pay for all this so you are not taking the mick.

Trust me: 3 or 4 hours of feeling like a **** sitting in a hospital is well worth it. Clear bill of health does wonders.

cosanostra

I wouldn't go to an A+E because it's neither an accident nor an emergency.

Make an appointment with your doctor though and avoid strenuos excercise until you do. In fact, go and register at a nearby doctor and see them.

That's what i'd do.

Thanks for the replies, lads. Particularly to CC: I've been PMed by someone who's directed me to a something which entirely sums up my symptoms, so a Doctor's appointment is pretty much a must as it certainly looks like I have something.

I'll give them a phone tomorrow.

coppercrutch
I wouldn't go to an A+E because it's neither an accident nor an emergency.

Make an appointment with your doctor though and avoid strenuos excercise until you do. In fact, go and register at a nearby doctor and see them.

That's what i'd do.

You reckon, maybe.

However I had a sore chest once and walked into the A & E simply just to ask what I should do. They strapped me up straight away and did all the jobs on me.

They have also had an ad campaign recently stating if you have ANY sort of chest pain or tightness to call 999 immediately. It is chest pain we are talking about here - and last time I wanted to get a doctors appointment I waited for almost 2 weeks !!! :eek:

Maybe the OP should call up NHS 24, that is what they are there for I suppose !!

08454 242424

coppercrutch
Thanks for the replies, lads. Particularly to CC: I've been PMed by someone who's directed me to a something which entirely sums up my symptoms, so a Doctor's appointment is pretty much a must as it certainly looks like I have something.

I'll give them a phone tomorrow.

Well good luck. Hope it is nothing.

Us runners deserve to be in the best of health. :)

coppercrutch
Nah mate, this: http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/costochondritis.htm

I get the tight chest and sore arm too when it happens, but I didn't want to mention it.

That sounds like what I had/have.....

I also get what feels like a build up of pressure in my ribs, just when I am sitting, and it sort of clicks/pops when I move to the side. Similar to when people click their knuckles or neck.

Who needs netdoctor when you have JKB !!!

Is there anything this forum cannot provide...:rolleyes:

Well good luck. Hope it is nothing.

Us runners deserve to be in the best of health. :)

except for all the extra carbon dioxide you produce when running, its ruining the climate of course:)

Alright chaps, I'm looking for a wee bit of advice/diagnosis from all you budding doctors out there. I would go to my own but it's all the way in Stirling and I don't want to bother him about something which may be absolutely nothing.

The past 3 or 4 times I've gone for a run, I've developed a sharp, crushing sort of pain on the right side of my chest; just a little to the top right of where my heart would be if it was on the right side of my chest. The pain gets progressively worse until I have to stop running as it's too much to bear and it feels like my lung or muscles or whatever are being crushed. When I stop, I often have difficulty breathing sufficiently, as the pain when my chest expands really is quite considerable and I have to resort to short, sharp breaths.

It takes about a minute or two of slow walking or not moving altogether to go away and, when I start running again, comes back after about a minute, and the stop/start cycle has to be repeated. The strange thing is, the pain has started to develop earlier and earlier each time I've started running, with it starting after only about 25/30 minutes today (I usually run for about 60-80).

I like to think I keep myself relatively fit: I run about 10-15 miles a week, do sit-ups every other day and eat relatively healthily so this is getting a bit concerning. Surely it's not just a stitch?

**** off!

You were on your arse after 20 mins of 2 aside at the Meadows on Friday night.

Horatio Caine
That sounds like what I had/have.....

I also get what feels like a build up of pressure in my ribs, just when I am sitting, and it sort of clicks/pops when I move to the side. Similar to when people click their knuckles or neck.

Who needs netdoctor when you have JKB !!!

Is there anything this forum cannot provide...:rolleyes:

Optimism for next season???

**** off!

You were on your arse after 20 mins of 2 aside at the Meadows on Friday night.

Different type of running, mate :D And I was cruelly targetted as the dangerman of my team and chopped down early by Sorley. Chopped? Nay, scythed down.

Different type of running, mate :D And I was cruelly targetted as the dangerman of my team and chopped down early by Sorley. Chopped? Nay, scythed down.

Ba!

Fancy the gym on Friday?

Me, Sorley, Dunlop and John are going out to RBS. It's no a bad gym btw, the steam rooms the bollox.

Ba!

Fancy the gym on Friday?

Me, Sorley, Dunlop and John are going out to RBS. It's no a bad gym btw, the steam rooms the bollox.

Sounds good to me. Don't like at me like I'm a [filter edit] if I double up in pain after/during the treadmill though.

Sounds good to me. Don't like at me like I'm a [filter edit] if I double up in pain after/during the treadmill though.

Mate, that's the last thing I'll be laughing at you for...;)

scott_jambo

May have a cracked rib neave. Your body tries to heal it and then when you go running it gets ***d again without you giving it a chance to heal properly. 6 weeks of no hardcore CV should do the trick.

as a reformed deny it it may go away, and find a million excuses to divert the truth from being faced, do not hesitate in getting professional medical advice for anything that bothers you especially if it scares you.

In a past life I attended many calls where the same statement was made. He/she had a wee pain in her/his chest, they just had a wee cup of tea and lay down for a while. Last cup of tea, never got up again. Never be afraid to ask for attention from a medic, and always remember early diagnosis is a life saver.

coppercrutch
as a reformed deny it it may go away, and find a million excuses to divert the truth from being faced, do not hesitate in getting professional medical advice for anything that bothers you especially if it scares you.

In a past life I attended many calls where the same statement was made. He/she had a wee pain in her/his chest, they just had a wee cup of tea and lay down for a while. Last cup of tea, never got up again. Never be afraid to ask for attention from a medic, and always remember early diagnosis is a life saver.

I tried to tell him just to go to A & E Bob !! No harm in it. That is what they are there for afterall......

But apparently a crushing sharp pain in your chest when you exercise - that leaves you breathless, unable to move, with shallow breathing and is getting worse and worse is not an emergency................

Maybe not, but I think erring on the side of caution is always the best option in these circumstances.........:rolleyes:

I tried to tell him just to go to A & E Bob !! No harm in it. That is what they are there for afterall......

But apparently a crushing sharp pain in your chest when you exercise - that leaves you breathless' date=' unable to move, with shallow breathing and is getting worse and worse is not an emergency................

Maybe not, but I think erring on the side of caution is always the best option in these circumstances.........[/quote']

Cheers guys. I'm now absolutely ****ting myself :laugh:

Definitely phoning tomorrow!

coppercrutch

Don't be ****ting yourself !! That wont do any good. Probably nothing.

But don't be planning on any more 5 a side football till you get it checked out.............

That would be a little foolish !!

Can I have your DVDs aye?

Probably cancer.

:laugh: Cheers man. Reminds me of that South Park sketch where Scott wishes cancer on Terrance and Philip:

Phillip: Oh, hello, Scott. No hard feelings, right, old pal?

Scott: There ARE hard feelings! This isn't over! I'm going ta see to it that you both pay for what you've done! And do you know why?

Phillip: 'Cause you're a dick?

Scott: No! Because I hate you! You guys think that fart jokes are so funny, but they're not! In fact, I wish you were both dead and had cancer!

Phillip: Cancer??

Scott: Yes; in the head!

Terrance: Head cancer?

And Eck, you can have whatever you want as long as you can get Creero to come to my funeral.

:laugh: Cheers man. Reminds me of that South Park sketch where Scott wishes cancer on Terrance and Philip:

Phillip: Oh, hello, Scott. No hard feelings, right, old pal?

Scott: There ARE hard feelings! This isn't over! I'm going ta see to it that you both pay for what you've done! And do you know why?

Phillip: 'Cause you're a dick?

Scott: No! Because I hate you! You guys think that fart jokes are so funny, but they're not! In fact, I wish you were both dead and had cancer!

Phillip: Cancer??

Scott: Yes; in the head!

Terrance: Head cancer?

And Eck, you can have whatever you want as long as you can get Creero to come to my funeral.

Consider it done.

Walter Bishop

Just recovered from something similar, it sounds to me like you have defo got a rib problem, maybe not a crack but bruised, you will need 6-8 weeks rest if this is the case.

My sister has/had that.

No idea what the deal is with it though.

It might be the time of night, but is this post the most hilariously useless in the history of KB? :laugh:

I appreciate the sentiment man, really, I do, but it just made me laugh.

It might be the time of night, but is this post the most hilariously useless in the history of KB? :laugh:

I appreciate the sentiment man, really, I do, but it just made me laugh.

Its unbelievably useless.

But its true. Could be a type of biscuit for all I know about it.

I should see her tomorrow though (More than likey as we live in the same house) and if I do, and I remember I'll give her the keyboard to type her views on it for you.

How much use is that!

BOOM!

Its unbelievably useless.

But its true. Could be a type of biscuit for all I know about it.

I should see her tomorrow though (More than likey as we live in the same house) and if I do, and I remember I'll give her the keyboard to type her views on it for you.

How much use is that!

BOOM!

You can give her my number too if you want ;)

Its 2.

Because I'm number 1.

BOOM!

ferrel_t250.jpg

pwned :(

*looks about for Rio Ferdinand* Did I just get merked?

*hears a faint BRRRAAAAPPP in the background* ****!! He's coming!! Save me!!!!

pwned :(

*looks about for Rio Ferdinand* Did I just get merked?

*hears a faint BRRRAAAAPPP in the background* ****!! He's coming!! Save me!!!!

Run away!

oh, wait....

:biggrin:

although i'm young sometimes i get this with too much running, all i do is take a huge deep breath and keep going until i can't breath anymore then it goes away.

i don't have it now tho,

although i'm young sometimes i get this with too much running, all i do is take a huge deep breath and keep going until i can't breath anymore then it goes away.

i don't have it now tho,

Are you running right now?

It wasn't my intention to cause a panic, I am sure it is something quite simple,

I just try to pass on my warning to all without meaning you specifically.

Dix Handley
Just pointing out that that's possibly the reason why you havent got it now.

You dont half get some Fecking Numpties on this site...wish these youngsters

could apply some logic when replying to posts. Think your wit was a bit too dry there, Cigaro?;)

You dont half get some Fecking Numpties on this site...wish these youngsters

could apply some logic when replying to posts. Think your wit was a bit too dry there, Cigaro?;)

Some people got where I was going at least.

I think I just got on that posters thrupennies ast night.:D

Archived