First to Two ?

bringonthesevco

Rudolf's Mate

Ah the same Gavin Reilly that has scored one goal all season in the league below us....

Replace misfiring strikers with misfiring striker?!

Gavin Reilly's level is and always will be the Scottish Championship.

Not going to dispute any of that however we've got 2 forwards who you could say aren't very direct.

In an ideal world we'll bring someone else in. If we're not going to then trying Reilly with Watt might be worth a try.

Edit: I take it back. Keep forgetting we've got Johnsen.

The last proven poacher - ie a six yard box striker - we signed was John Sutton. It's a risky strategy as you really have to build a team around them in an attacking sense. Dennis Wyness springs to mind too.

For the last 10 years at least, includinh 2005/6 and 2011/12 we've relied on goals from all positions.

We're more of a team than others - like hibs in recent years - that rely on one striker banging in the goals and Sammon has been part of that whether some like to admit it or not.

The last proven poacher - ie a six yard box striker - we signed was John Sutton. It's a risky strategy. Dennis Wyness springs to mind too.

For the last 10 years at least, includinh 2005/6 and 2011/12 we've relied on goals from all positions.

We're more of a team than others - like hibs in recent years - that rely on one striker banging in the goals and Sammon has been part of that whether some like to admit it or not.

I wouldn't class John Sutton as a six yard box striker.

I wouldn't class John Sutton as a six yard box striker.

I would - or penalty box poacher, whatever. He was a poacher who did little else. Or for us he didn't even poach goals.

Bazzas right boot

The last proven poacher - ie a six yard box striker - we signed was John Sutton. It's a risky strategy as you really have to build a team around them in an attacking sense. Dennis Wyness springs to mind too.

yip, for some reason they haven't worked out.

Sammon's history shows he won't score that many goals.

Like signing Messi and then expecting him to be a great centre half.

We knew what we were getting, it was planned.

hope he does get a few, though. be useful fro our strikers to chip in with goals.

yip, for some reason they haven't worked out.

Sammon's history shows he won't score that many goals.

Like signing Messi and then expecting him to be a great centre half.

We knew what we were getting, it was planned.

hope he does get a few, though. be useful fro our strikers to chip in with goals.

Absolutely nothing like that. What a stupid comparison.

Bazzas right boot

Absolutely nothing like that. What a stupid comparison.

It was extreme, but relevant.

You buy a player with a certain history, and then when they play for you, for some reason something completely different is expected.

Sammon has never scored many goals, he wasn't signed to be a 20 odd goal a season striker, why expect it?

A few goals would be good, I agree, and tbh is required. but, again I question fans expectations.

The goals scored by our strikers is humiliating and we are rapidy approaching a crisis.

8,000 FoH subscriberers will start to dwindle fast if this carries on and Dr Budge will know that.

It's like it's been engrained in the clubs DNA since after Robbo

We won't produce a natural striker and we can't bring one in.

Very frustrating.

It's been the same for about 20 years

Of our better strikers:

Adam was a good player but not high goalscorer.

Fuller - we had to let go after one season

Wyness was a coup and bombed

MDV - probably one of the best strikers we've had in the last 20

Even when we had the Romanov money we didn't really get the outstanding striker our resources should have got

Janny - class but one good season

Bednar - promising but injured then sold

Pinilla - clearly class but bombed.

Velicka - I really rated but sold quite quickly after a run of decent form

Kyle - surprising good for us but only one season

Sutton - at last our 20 goal striker, bombed

As regards the current regime, some very selective opinions as per....

Sow - excellent for our level, might have been our 15 to 20 guy and helped make us tick also.

Zeefuik - did a great job but only loan

Juanma - ultimately Scottish football maybe wasn't for him but still a decent finisher

Reilly - sort of signing people say we should make. Young, Scottish, shown potential in championship - might still work out but can't criticise the signs by with hindsight. It was a signing with good potential.

Watt - clearly talented, certainly not a failure but lack of goals is surprising.

Sammon. Well even I was critical of this signing so he must be shite.

Anyway this isn't a new thing and it certainly isn't a Robbie thing.

But it does need sorted.

Very frustrating.

Of our better strikers:

Even when we had the Romanov money we didn't really get the outstanding striker our resources should have got

Sow - excellent for our level, might have been our 15 to 20 guy and helped make us tick also.

Juanma - ultimately Scottish football maybe wasn't for him but still a decent finisher

Reilly - sort of signing people say we should make. Young, Scottish, shown potential in championship - might still work out but can't criticise the signs by with hindsight. It was a signing with good potential.

Watt - clearly talented, certainly not a failure but lack of goals is surprising.

But it does need sorted.

Nicely written post, but I would add Andy Kirk in there too. 74 starts for Hearts. 35 goals. Very unlucky with injuries.

...and potentially, one of our future head coaches.

Nicely written post, but I would add Andy Kirk in there too. 74 starts for Hearts. 35 goals. Very unlucky with injuries.

...and potentially, one of our future head coaches.

Hadn't appreciated he had been quite as decent.

You say 35 in 74 starts

I presume he scored some of those goals as a sub??

Sow has scored a few for Henan Jianye recently and has been starting every game.

Really wish we could have kept him longer than 18 months.

Sow has scored a few for Henan Jianye recently and has been starting every game.

Really wish we could have kept him longer than 18 months.

So do I, but we couldn't possibly turn the offer down. We could, and should have used some of it more wisely though, to replace him.

MacDonald Jardine

Very frustrating.

Of our better strikers:

But it does need sorted.

Some fair points there but you've missed Keatings who did well IMO in the Championship but was then booted for Reilly.

Admittedly he hasn't been a massive success at Hibs either but he deserved a chance.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

So do I, but we couldn't possibly turn the offer down. We could, and should have used some of it more wisely though, to replace him.

Ye it's a shame as we could really do with him. The money from the Sow deal was part of the excess 3 million that has been put towards the new stand. None of it has been spent on the squad.

Some fair points there but you've missed Keatings who did well IMO in the Championship but was then booted for Reilly.

Admittedly he hasn't been a massive success at Hibs either but he deserved a chance.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Yeah fair point - I agreed with the reilly signing but I would have liked to see how Keatings did last season.

Very frustrating.

Of our better strikers:

But it does need sorted.

Good post Jammy, hell of a lot of validity to what you've said.

I think possibly the most disappointing aspect has been our sheer inability to bring any striker of any quality through the youth system. When you consider the numerous defensive players and a few midfielders/wide men who have successfully progressed its unbelievable that since Robbo only really Scott Crabbe achieved anything of note for the first team. Incredibly Hibs, who we have of course owned in virtually every respect imaginable, have brought several (lets be honest) more than decent goalscorers through. Of course in true Hobo fashion that never amounted to much as they were all complete needs off the pitch however they got a lot of goals from these players. Its s a glaring issue that has still not been addressed by our youth system.

We_are_the_Hearts

Very frustrating.

Of our better strikers:

But it does need sorted.

Jim Hamilton had a decent return? Add Paille, Beckford, Lawrence and Eskilsson to the bombed list. Lawrence did a job to be fair

Good post Jammy, hell of a lot of validity to what you've said.

I think possibly the most disappointing aspect has been our sheer inability to bring any striker of any quality through the youth system. When you consider the numerous defensive players and a few midfielders/wide men who have successfully progressed its unbelievable that since Robbo only really Scott Crabbe achieved anything of note for the first team. Incredibly Hibs, who we have of course owned in virtually every respect imaginable, have brought several (lets be honest) more than decent goalscorers through. Of course in true Hobo fashion that never amounted to much as they were all complete needs off the pitch however they got a lot of goals from these players. Its s a glaring issue that has still not been addressed by our youth system.

The lack of a decent homegrown striker is inexplicable.

I was talking to my Hibby mate about this on Saturday. In the last 10 years they have had O'Connor, Riordan, Fletcher, Griffiths, Stokes, Cummings etc. Although they are all odious creatures they knew how to find the net at our level. We seem to have no problem finding a decent keeper and centre backs though where they definitely struggle.

The Treasurer

The goals scored by our strikers is humiliating and we are rapidy approaching a crisis.

8,000 FoH subscriberers will start to dwindle fast if this carries on and Dr Budge will know that.

I could be wrong but I don't think many FoH subscribers are paying their monthly DD's in order to fund a bid for Messi.

I think most, like me, pay monthly in order to help the club to continue to make progress, regardless of on field success (or lack of)

No way!  The vast majority of the 8,000 FoH subsribers are committed Hearts fans, who see building the new stand and general financial well being of the Club way more important than inconsistent results on the park.

Another game, another game with no striker scoring. Contributions so far:

Watt 1

Sammon 1

Johnsen 2

Neison and Levein should be utterly embarrassed about their inability to bring in someone to put the ball in the net in this garbage SPL.

Danny Swanson has more league goals (5) than ALL our strikers put together!!!!  So does Liam Boyce (6) of Ross County, Coulibaly (6) of Kilmarnock, Louis Molt (5) of Motherwell and other players from Motherwell, ICT and Hamilton all have 4.

Shambolic.

Arthur Morgan

Another game, another game with no striker scoring. Contributions so far:

Watt 1

Sammon 1

Johnsen 2

Neison and Levein should be utterly embarrassed about their inability to bring in someone to put the ball in the net in this garbage SPL.

Danny Swanson has more league goals (5) than ALL our strikers put together!!!! So does Liam Boyce (6) of Ross County, Coulibaly (6) of Kilmarnock, Louis Molt (5) of Motherwell and other players from Motherwell, ICT and Hamilton all have 4.

Shambolic.

So does Callum Paterson (6)

He honestly would do a better job up front than any of our strikers imo. Stick Smith at RB and push Paterson further forward.

So does Callum Paterson (6)

He honestly would do a better job up front than any of our strikers imo. Stick Smith at RB and push Paterson further forward.

Without doubt. If he's off for nothing at the end of his contract we should be using him in the best interests of HMFC over the next 6 months and that would be at centre forward not right back. He'd probably enjoy it and we'd get 15+ goals from him!

Archived