Redundancy

Leebo

Boaby Ewing

Should be in your contract/terms and conditions.

It's generally something like a month's wages for every year you've worked there, pro rata. You'll often be paid for your notice without having to serve it.

It may differ if you've been there less than three years.

If they offer voluntary redundancy first, the terms are sometimes better for those choosing to leave.

Boaby Ewing
Think legally it is 1 week's pay for each year if you have been there more than 2 years.

Some companies will give you up to a month for each year, anything under ?30k is tax free (at least it was in 2005!).

Don't do what I did and p*ss it all against a wall!

Aye, still is.

It's generally something like a month's wages for every year you've worked there, pro rata. You'll often be paid for your notice without having to serve it.

Redundancy suddenly seems quite attractive.

Redundancy suddenly seems quite attractive.

Sure you're not getting confused with retirement? :wacko:

;)

What's the procedure with this?

What kinda payments do you get etc....?

Basically, what happens is that you get put on the scrapheap with no payments whatsoever, will never be able to get another job and will end up having to sell your body to pay the bills.

I got made redundant once. One of the best things to ever happen to me.

Is it definitley redundancy yea?

Know a couple of folk who have been told there work is shutting down but they are not getting fired.

They are all getting moved to Manchester instead. Dont like it quit...

Just a way around companies having to pay you off. :mad:

Sexton Hardcastle
Basically, what happens is that you get put on the scrapheap with no payments whatsoever, will never be able to get another job and will end up having to sell your body to pay the bills.

All the best Stevie Frail

and will end up having to sell your body to pay the bills.

All of it or just your kidneys and eyes?

frankblack

One downside to watch out for - if you have taken holidays that you have not yet accumulated you will have the salary for those deducted from your redundancy payment.

In extreme cases you can owe the employer money for being made redundant e.g. if you have used your holidays by June and get sacked, you would have to pay for the 6 months ratio you haven't worked yet.

Is there not like a straight payment you get. Or is it worked out in weird ways....?

Boaby Ewing

It'll be worked out on the basis of how long you've been with the company, what your salary is etc. etc.

So someone with ten years experience at the firm on ?100,000 per year will obviously get more than someone who has been there for six months on ?14,000.

There may also be certain calculations based on your pension, amount of holiday taken so far this year etc.

Go and ask HR -- make the useless bints do some work for once!

Sexton Hardcastle

It would be funny if she actually worked in HR. When i say "worked"...

I got 3 weeks for every year I worked there. Up to a maximum of 20 years..

A lot of compaines just give you a week for every year which is the government minimum..Have to be over 21 as well, or is only 1/2 week i think.

Best thing that happened to me...I gave that company (Whyte & Mackay) the best years of my life ;)

Miller Jambo 60
What's the procedure with this?

What kinda payments do you get etc....?

NHS bud sfa bunch of fankers

chester copperpot
NHS bud sfa bunch of fankers

That cheered up whats been a rather depressing day Doug.

Now if I only knew what you meant, it would be even funnier. ;)

Miller Jambo 60
That cheered up whats been a rather depressing day Doug.

Now if I only knew what you meant, it would be even funnier. ;)

Andy sacked cos i was ill

arfurdaley

I was made redundant at the end of April. I got 1 months wages for every full year I was there up to a maximum of 12 months. Didn't take any holidays from Jan to April so I also got paid for those. I think it depends on who you work for as to what kind of deal you get.

Miller Jambo 60
I was made redundant at the end of April. I got 1 months wages for every full year I was there up to a maximum of 12 months. Didn't take any holidays from Jan to April so I also got paid for those. I think it depends on who you work for as to what kind of deal you get.

Okay mate scotland will be back when we get the 2 tory ****s to ****.

SNP FOR ME

Shop steward labour 85 to 90.

Bitch thatcher killed us.

coppercrutch
Okay mate scotland will be back when we get the 2 tory ****s to ****.

SNP FOR ME

Shop steward labour 85 to 90.

Bitch thatcher killed us.

I have some news for you Doug. The Tories haven't been in power for 10 years !!

The current mess in this country is down to those ***** Brown and Blair and the Labour party.

On another point where did the idea of redundancy come from ? Not sure if I agree with it or not. I imagine it is down to 'loyalty' and all that. However is that relevant these days ?

You work for someone for 5 years. You do a good job. They pay you. Fair enough.

They then decide you have to leave. Why do they pay you extra ? If you decide to leave them you don't have to pay them 'off'....:wacko:

Wouldn't mind if it happened to myself of course, just interested to know where it comes from.

davemclaren
I have some news for you Doug. The Tories haven't been in power for 10 years !!

The current mess in this country is down to those ***** Brown and Blair and the Labour party.

On another point where did the idea of redundancy come from ? Not sure if I agree with it or not. I imagine it is down to 'loyalty' and all that. However is that relevant these days ?

They then decide you have to leave. Why do they pay you extra ? If you decide to leave them you don't have to pay them 'off'....:wacko:

Wouldn't mind if it happened to myself of course, just interested to know where it comes from.

Look on it as a loyalty bonus for having a 'permanent' job... :)

frankblack

Couldn't say where/when it came in, but I think it is fair as you need a month or more to find another job, unless you have advance warning and line up a job in advance.

Interviews and applications take time to be processed - nothing happens straight away in my experience as a software developer.

coppercrutch
Look on it as a loyalty bonus for having a 'permanent' job... :)

Couldn't say where/when it came in, but I think it is fair as you need a month or more to find another job, unless you have advance warning and line up a job in advance.

Interviews and applications take time to be processed - nothing happens straight away in my experience as a software developer.

Cheers, I do agree with it a little. But on the other hand in this day and age it is probably becoming less and less relevant.

Rawrrrrrrr

Redundancy can be a very good payday, especially if your good at what you do and loyal , depending on age you could take early retirement, or have a lump sum to get yourself a few luxuries, and if your good at your job you shouldnt have any problem getting a new job on similar monies

People who moan about not being able to get jobs are full of it, if you cant get a job its because of you, not society

frankblack
Redundancy can be a very good payday, especially if your good at what you do and loyal , depending on age you could take early retirement, or have a lump sum to get yourself a few luxuries, and if your good at your job you shouldnt have any problem getting a new job on similar monies

People who moan about not being able to get jobs are full of it, if you cant get a job its because of you, not society

The point is though that a lot of people have mortgages to pay, and assuming it takes 1 month to get set up with a new professional job like in Software Development, then that is you losing a month's pay.

Mortgage protection policies don't kick in for something like 6 weeks after being triggered as well.

I do agree that if you are clued up and read the signs you can take the redundancy as a lump sum for yourself, assuming you have another job lined up.

In my last job a developer was amongst many made redundant - he was delighted as he was just about to resign and take another job!

davemclaren
Cheers, I do agree with it a little. But on the other hand in this day and age it is probably becoming less and less relevant.

Especially as most people don't stay in one job for more then 3 or 4 years these days. 3 or 4 months salary isn't lifestyle changing whereas 18 can make a bit of a difference. :)

MacDonald Jardine
Is it definitley redundancy yea?

Know a couple of folk who have been told there work is shutting down but they are not getting fired.

They are all getting moved to Manchester instead. Dont like it quit...

Just a way around companies having to pay you off. :mad:

They have to make a "reasonable" offer of alternative employment.

That takes into account personal circumstances so it might not be reasonable to expect someone with a family to up sticks to Manchester.

It also depends on how good the terms and conditions are in the first place: a job just above the minimum wage in Manchester probably isn't a reasonable offer to take an extreme example.

If it isn't reasonable they have to pay a redundancy payment.

BTW in the absence of anything in the employment contract redundancy payments aren't that great.

It's a week's pay, up to a maximum of ?330 for every complete year you've worked (One and a half weeks for years you were over 41.)

I always thought redundancy was something that happened years ago when an industry, mining, shipbuilding etc just closed down and quit entirely. You became redundant meaning you were no longer required in that line of work and look for something new.

The process of a company closing down in one area and moving to another where you were offered but declined a transfer was not true redundancy.

Archived