Scotland to be a force soon?

Bert Le Clos

Bert Le Clos

I was watching the Swiss game the other day and remember Motson mentioning that Benzema was the youngest player in the Euros at 20. I was pretty surprised by this, given that in previous tournaments we have seen several players breaking through on this stage despite being relatively young

eg. Henry, Owen, Fabregas, Casillas, Rooney, Ronaldo, Robben, Trezeguet, Lahm, Podolski etc and others such as Maldini making their internationals debuts before they were 20.

Looking at several of the squads (France and Italy in particular), they seem to have a lot of players over 30. Given that Scotland appear to have a relatively young squad, and with not a lot of talent breaking into the so called superior teams, could Scotland possibly qualify and do well in the next World Cup/Euros?

I was watching the Swiss game the other day and remember Motson mentioning that Benzema was the youngest player in the Euros at 20. I was pretty surprised by this, given that in previous tournaments we have seen several players breaking through on this stage despite being relatively young

eg. Henry, Owen, Fabregas, Casillas, Rooney, Ronaldo, Robben, Trezeguet, Lahm, Podolski etc and others such as Maldini making their internationals debuts before they were 20.

Looking at several of the squads (France and Italy in particular), they seem to have a lot of players over 30. Given that Scotland appear to have a relatively young squad, and with not a lot of talent breaking into the so called superior teams, could Scotland possibly qualify and do well in the next World Cup/Euros?

Scotland have always had really good youth squads.

They atre Scottish however and will soon turn to drink and unhealthy lifestyle. Become lazy and amount to nothing. Or join the Old firm to early

seen it too many times

tynie_legend

They atre Scottish however and will soon turn to drink and unhealthy lifestyle. Become lazy and amount to nothing. Or join the Old firm to early

seen it too many times

Thats a contructive response.

I think we will definately compete a lot better in the coming years to qualify for a major championship. We have managed to mix youth and experience in the last few years and slowly reduce the number of older players in the squad.

However, I still think that a lot of the 'bigger' countries in world football will show they have depth to continue to compete at the highest level. I think Scotland have benefited in the last few years with a lot of our players playing regularly and getting a Scottish manager in helped a HUGE amount.

Dr. Bapswent

seen it too many times

Yes.

We can rely on the Old firm to stifle our national squads ability as usual.

Keep the other decent SPL players down to improve their own chances.

you only have to be better than the rest to win the SPL.

They do that by buying the rest of the SPL talent so no-one else can win.

Thats the story of the bright young dream that is the Scotland squad.

jamboinglasgow

Scotland is changing alot in terms of talented youngsters. About 5 years ago, Scotland had clubs which developed the odd players but not really excelled at it. Murry Park had just opened and it was unique at a place where talent could be created. But around that time teams changed their attitude, player development was now seen as nessecary for clubs to compete as it gave them an advantage and is cheaper than bringing players in.

Teams such as hearts, Rangers, Celtic, Hibs and Ross County all have training centers which double as youth academys. Rangers is longest established so is ahead in the number of quality youngsters it has brought through (even if most are not at the first team level yet.) Hearts are on the bring of doing this though we have seen Glen, Josson, Driver, Elliot and Mole break through the true effect of the academy will be seen in the next few seasons as for it to be really effective you need a player who has come from the beginning and if we take it as the 10 year old who came to play for the under twelves in 2004 they wont get to the under 19's until 2010 at the very least. But itmeans they have the technique, equipment and teaching needed to be a very good footballer. The fact that Hearts age groups continue to get stronger than the older group is a very good sign. Hibs had a great period of youth develpment and these players will grow which has helped Scotland though they are looking to have a dry period of talented players coming through in prehaps two seasons time. Celtic have claimed to be ambitous but I wonder if their heart is really in it. They may develop an exceptional talent once in a while but great players may not get near the 1st team. And as for Ross County they are a surprising team that will produce some good youngsters (Liam Cooper was snapped up by Liverpool.)

Now there are other teams in Scotland who are very good with youth even though they dont have a phsyical training center: Falkirk, Aberdeen, Motherwell, Kilmarnock and even Hamilton whose rise to the SPL is due quite a lot to their concentration on youth.

Now I am droning on but the thing I am making clear is that youth development is increasing in Scotland. I dont think it is near what it should be: for that changes need to be done at grass routes with changes to coaching styles, facilties (including prehaps a national center for football development though the SFA are building a training center for the Scottish national team so not sure if it will be incorparted into a football development center.) There also needs to be a change to attitudes in young footballers who should have the attitude that the best teams to play for are not Rangers or Celtic but the best teams in Italy, Spain, France, Germany etc. And that a footballer should have discipline like an athelete. Yes you can drunk sometimes but it should not be every weekend when possible. Fitness and mental toughness are as important as skill and technique. These ideas need to be drilled into players when they are young and prehaps the best players could be moved to special schools where it is a mixture of quality teaching and trainning. That way they are kept away from some of the people who can be a bad influnce on them.

But back to the OP's point, Scotland is getting a chance to be a qualifying force again and the players are developing who could do that. I thoughts are that next season John Fleck will be on the bench for Rangers for most of the season and will come on quite often. At the age of 17 that is a very impressive achievement for a player to do that at the Old Firm. Also Kevin MacDonald of Dundee and (hopefully) James McCarthy of Hamilton will develop into great players that will benefit Scotland.

We've been in a bit of a slump since the mid-90's.

I would say that we're an emerging nation, and a lot bigger nations are taking notice.

La Gazzetta Dello Sport had an article last year proclaiming that Scotland was a rising in nation. I think we are - we may never be at the level to challenge with likes of France, Italy, Germany, Brazil and Argentina but we are getting stronger.

I think we will qualify for the next world cup - being the second seeds in a group, were ultimately two will qualify is promising. It won't be easy, but at home I think we could near enough get maximum points (maybe a draw with the dutch). Our hammering of the Ukraine at home was a massive result imo, bigger than beating the French is Paris, as it showed that it wasn't just luck and the fact that can play football.

The Qualifiers will be interesting for Scotland. I think we will make it to South Africa, and depending on our performance in qualifying we could end up seconded seeded in the World Cup group stage. If there was to be a World Cup now, we would almost certainly be in 'pot 2' for the draw.

So, all in all, I think the future is bright for the national team. Christ we've got players being linked with Real Madrid (albeit it's a Hobo).

Ray Winstone

In my opinion Craig Brown ruined a generation of Scottish hopefuls by keeping old relics in the team for too long.

What we are now seeing is the emergance of some good quality young players who once again have the potential to have us qualifying for major tournaments again.

It has taken several years to get it right since Brown left but hopefully now we are seeing the benefits of allowing younger players into the team.

Funnily enough - despite being an absolute failure while manager, Berti Vogts has suceeded in bringing some players through who might not have done under another manager who was not willing to give youth a chance.

He may have got it wrong with many players but it was because Vogts tried so many for Smith to be able to separate the good from the cr@p.

jamboinglasgow
In my opinion Craig Brown ruined a generation of Scottish hopefuls by keeping old relics in the team for too long.

What we are now seeing is the emergance of some good quality young players who once again have the potential to have us qualifying for major tournaments again.

It has taken several years to get it right since Brown left but hopefully now we are seeing the benefits of allowing younger players into the team.

Funnily enough - despite being an absolute failure while manager, Berti Vogts has suceeded in bringing some players through who might not have done under another manager who was not willing to give youth a chance.

He may have got it wrong with many players but it was because Vogts tried so many for Smith to be able to separate the good from the cr@p.

would agree with what you have said (even the bertie vogts line) but I dont think its just Craig Browns fault that we had a generation of very few good players between 98 and 2003. I think the clubs should take fault as well. That was the period when clubs just bought players in from here and there but did not raise enough players up through the ranks. The wages in Scottish football were ridculus that a few clubs went into administration. I think that was the kick Scottish football needed. No overpayed foregin players when young scottish players could come through. Even Rangers and Celtic have changed since then.

could Scotland possibly qualify and do well in the next World Cup/Euros?

No. Our youngsters are rubbish. And our senior squad is not as youthful as you imply; Hartley, Weir, Naysmith, Dailly, all spring readily to mind.

alwaysthereinspirit

Scotland will never be a force in world football. The reason the young player you named became stars early is because their countries believed in the old saying "good enough, old enough"

That will never happen in Scotland. Usually its non OF teams who bring through the youngsters in Scotland. No way a youngster from a non OF team gets a look-in in a Scotland team just before a World cup or European championship.

kinross jambo
No. Our youngsters are rubbish. And our senior squad is not as youthful as you imply; Hartley, Weir, Naysmith, Dailly, all spring readily to mind.

:troll:

Archived