Top 20 rivalries in Britain ranked

Locky

In its infancy there was definitely a sectarian divide in the Edinburgh Derby.

It's part of its history unfortunately.

There still remains an element of it now. Go to bars before and after the game (both sides) and it is clear. Some wish to deny it, but it's still there.

Celtic v Rangers should be top tbh.

Rangers v Celtic would be the biggest, most passionate derby in UK, I agree. Liverpool v Man U would be the closest to it, for me.

mickycameron98

I'd say the Dundee Derby should be in there. They absolutely despise each other by all accounts and the proximity should be taken into account.

i wish jj was my dad

Badly written, poor grammar, hyperbolic, inconsistent, poorly researched, badly edited and basically wrong - definitely the Express. Worst paper in britain.

Does Charlie Nicholas not 'write' for the express?

I can't really think of what sectarian divide there was in the start of the Edinburgh derby, maybe I'm being thick but I'm sure I read that due to hibs being an Irish catholic immigrants team the Sfa weren't going to allow them into the league set up.

While Hearts backed them and went against the sfa and played a game against them. So the only sectarianism as usual came from Glasgow. This eventually allowing Hibs into the league and saving them as a club, you're welcome to any of them looking in ;).

Bazzas right boot

What about the non derby, Derbies.

Madrid v Barca, Liverpool/ leeds v man u.

Various Turkish teams and south American teams have big city rivals.

Some of these are intense and have hatred at the heart of them.

Most English Derbies are tame in comparison.

What about the non derby, Derbies.

Madrid v Barca, Liverpool/ leeds v man u.

Various Turkish teams and south American teams have big city rivals.

Some of these are intense and have hatred at the heart of them.

Most English Derbies are tame in comparison.

SKY have dulled down most English derbies, look at Liverpool v Man United. YNWA at the start and a couple songs about Munich and Hillsborough, followed by 70 minutes of silence.

That's 'intense' to them :lol:

I can't really think of what sectarian divide there was in the start of the Edinburgh derby, maybe I'm being thick but I'm sure I read that due to hibs being an Irish catholic immigrants team the Sfa weren't going to allow them into the league set up.

While Hearts backed them and went against the sfa and played a game against them. So the only sectarianism as usual came from Glasgow. This eventually allowing Hibs into the league and saving them as a club, you're welcome to any of them looking in ;).

Irish Catholics only allowed to play for them at first, or so I read somewhere. I've also read that they couldn't get a game for other clubs though, and that this is why they adopted that policy. If this is all true, then that is a sectarian divide right there. I'm no historian though, so I'd wait for one or two of the more learned Hearts history buffs to confirm or deny this.

Irish Catholics only allowed to play for them at first, or so I read somewhere. I've also read that they couldn't get a game for other clubs though, and that this is why they adopted that policy. If this is all true, then that is a sectarian divide right there. I'm no historian though, so I'd wait for one or two of the more learned Hearts history buffs to confirm or deny this.

Aye hoping one of the historians comes and clears it up, not exactly one myself either.

To be fair at that time it would make sense there being a team just for Irish Catholics due to the public attitude towards them. Not sure that entirely shows a sectarian divide though, the divide would only come if as a club and fan base we had decided to hate them just for being Irish Catholics.

Aye hoping one of the historians comes and clears it up, not exactly one myself either.

To be fair at that time it would make sense there being a team just for Irish Catholics due to the public attitude towards them. Not sure that entirely shows a sectarian divide though, the divide would only come if as a club and fan base we had decided to hate them just for being Irish Catholics.

Yeah, I'd definitely wait for a reply from one or two of the more obvious founts of knowledge on this one. :thumbsup:

Doctor FinnBarr

Yeah, I'd definitely wait for a reply from one or two of the more obvious founts of knowledge on this one. :thumbsup:

Not 100% certain on this one but I seem to remember reading a reprint of a newspaper report saying that the then Hearts manager (McCartney (sp) maybe) was attacked in his cab by sectarian Irish thugs after we defeated them at Fester. On the Royal Mile maybe?

Not 100% certain on this one but I seem to remember reading a reprint of a newspaper report saying that the then Hearts manager (McCartney (sp) maybe) was attacked in his cab by sectarian Irish thugs after we defeated them at Fester. On the Royal Mile maybe?

The more things change... :lol:

Doctor FinnBarr

The more things change... :lol:

Ah ken, the more I think about it the reprint was maybe in an official Hearts book, maybe need to look at mine sometime.

I'd say the Dundee Derby should be in there. They absolutely despise each other by all accounts and the proximity should be taken into account.

Pish. They "hate" each other for 90 minutes.

Their fans drink in the same pubs, sit in each other's stands, and even share casuals between themselves (which deserves a :vrface: just on its own).

Not many teams that absolutely hate each other skip down the road holding hands after a game.

Doctor FinnBarr

I've a biker mate in Dundee (well lots actually, but most hate football) but wee John hates the Arabs with a passion so I don't think he'll be that chuffed with their "firms" having a cosy love-in

Bazzas right boot

There still remains an element of it now. Go to bars before and after the game (both sides) and it is clear. Some wish to deny it, but it's still there.

It's still there, but it's s small element.

But it is still there, I think it comes out more when we play Celtic, and they play rangers.

Archived