Euro Guest players

Colonel Kurtz

Say What Again
yeah we got a fine from uefa after that....actually i dont think its racist banner,

Neither do I mate

Given many of the issues would involve taking players from another British nation, the British nations have a gentleman's agreement to only utilise the Grandfather rule. A rule IIRC, which was broken by the English when capping at youth level a young Scots lad a year or two ago.

I think that makes total sense. If my parents are both Scottish and I'm born in Moscow but move back to Scotland after 2 weeks for the rest of my life I'm Scottish.

And in that extremely rare case were you to go on to become a professional footballer good enough for representing either Russia or Scotland you'd have a case for feeling pretty hard done by.

However the vast majority of the cases are just people exploiting the rule because they're either better/worse than their country of birth.

Makes international football a laughing stock.

If it was down to me it'd be your country of birth only.

None of this faffing around with parents / grandparents / residency / citizenship / naturalisation.

Whatever country you were born in - thats the only country you can play for.[/QUOTE]

Think that's rubbish.....if a chicken lays an egg in a fruit basket, it's still an egg/ if a cow has a calf in a stable, it's still a cow etc....

Podolski is from German descent.

He went to Germany from Poland when he was two. Brought up through the German system. Hardly Polish, unless he wanted to be.

Bert Le Clos
And in that extremely rare case were you to go on to become a professional footballer good enough for representing either Russia or Scotland you'd have a case for feeling pretty hard done by.

However the vast majority of the cases are just people exploiting the rule because they're either better/worse than their country of birth.

Makes international football a laughing stock.

Totally agree. I was just stating that the nationality of your parents should count equally as your country of birth in deciding which country you can represent.

If not more so.

He went to Germany from Poland when he was two. Brought up through the German system. Hardly Polish, unless he wanted to be.

His Dad is German!

Archived