Great films with cr*p/dissapointing endings??

Walter Bishop

Walter Bishop

Was thinking about this yesterday when watching The Italian Job (original), they could have done so much more with the end of this film and for me its spoils the whole film??

Any others?

blondejamtart
Titanic

What, the ship avoids the iceberg and they all live happily ever after, you mean?

:cool:

Carl Fredrickson
What, the ship avoids the iceberg and they all live happily ever after, you mean?

Yip! ;)

jamboinglasgow

dodgeball almost had a terrible ending if the director got his way, in the deleated scenes the aleternative ending is that Vince Vaughns team lose and the movie just ends there, the commentator claims "it felt more artistic to him as you dont always win in life but the studio forced him to go with the other ending."

I felt like shouting at the director when I heard him say that, its a comedy, its a feelgood comedy. You dont have people walking out of the cinema sad after a feelgood comedy. If he wants to have that message make a serious drama.

Juarrasic Park III, they get to the beach and the whole of the United States Marine force appear. Felt poor.

Or War of the Worlds where Tom Cruise and his daughter get to his ex-wives house and finds everyone alive (how on earth did the son survive.) Though like the HG Wells idea of aliens not prepared for our bacteria.

Collateral. Watchable up until the last 15 minutes or so when it just becomes ridiculous beyond belief.

No Country for Old Men - doesn't exactly ruin the film but I don't think the end quite lives up to the standard of the rest of the film.

Dr. Bapswent
Was thinking about this yesterday when watching The Italian Job (original), they could have done so much more with the end of this film and for me its spoils the whole film??

Any others?

What absolute garbage.

The ending is a classic.

if you cant see that, then you should be watching films like Transformers instead.

Bert Le Clos

The new Indiana Jones and Sunshine both had chronic endings.

The Usual Suspects. Everyone went on about the twist in the tale ending. If anyone didn't see that coming they should stick to kids telly.

Gigolo-Aunt
What absolute garbage.

The ending is a classic.

if you cant see that, then you should be watching films like Transformers instead.

Hehehehehe

On the warpath today!

Not the same thing, but currently reading the book "Donny Brasco". Loved the film but its pretty wayward on a lot of things that actually happened.

Quite a lot of important stuff has been missed out altogether or rehashed to make it fit in with the films plot rather than the actual events.

Not the first film to do that though....

Walter Bishop
What absolute garbage.

The ending is a classic.

I thought it wash pesh. All that hard work for feck all!!! Surely a better ending would have been more fitting!!

Carl Spackler

Back to the Future. "Marty their's somthing wrong with your kids", a big flash and then a four year wait for it "to be continued".

Gavsy Van Gaverson
Collateral. Watchable up until the last 15 minutes or so when it just becomes ridiculous beyond belief.

No Country for Old Men - doesn't exactly ruin the film but I don't think the end quite lives up to the standard of the rest of the film.

Bought and watched this at the weekend and couldn't agree more.

The Usual Suspects. Everyone went on about the twist in the tale ending. If anyone didn't see that coming they should stick to kids telly.

100% agree.

It was clear from about half way in what the twist would be.

Dr. Bapswent
I thought it wash pesh. All that hard work for feck all!!! Surely a better ending would have been more fitting!!

All that work for feck all!!

You clearly didnt get the film at all did you.

The above statment shows that.

I bet you think the American version is better too.

Walter Bishop
All that work for feck all!!

You clearly didnt get the film at all did you.

The above statment shows that.

I bet you think the American version is better too.

I`d love to get your take on it as clearly you seem to be the only one who "got" it, even Michael Caine, the cast and the crew were miffed to say the least!!!!

http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/3-3-2003-36643.asp

Dr. Bapswent
I`d love to get your take on it as clearly you seem to be the only one who "got" it, even Michael Caine, the cast and the crew were miffed to say the least!!!!

Yes.

And most people involved in making Star Wars episode 4 though it was going to be a huge flop.

Go figure.

Does that mean MC is right?

The Italian Job is a classic. It has cult status. It is therefore loved for reasons that may have not been obvious in the outset.

For example, the ending.

i agree with the people on no country for old men, thought it was a quality film, then it just ended. watched the ending again to see if i missed some kind of hidden meaning, but it was still crap...ruined what could have been one of my fave films of recent times

Return of the Jedi (digitally remastered). Can't believe they changed the music at the end. Was almost as bad as letting Grido shoot first in Episode IV. Cretins :confused:

I imagine not everyone knew that there was going to be a twist. If you watch it guessing you may well have got it early.

bigbadbill

I was really disappointed at the end of Hannibal. In the book ending Clarice Starling and Lecter become an item. Did they change it to be pc? The Americans are funny like that? Also, have you noticed that lots of their film and tv villains are non-American? Sometimes the worst of them are Lithuanians just like Hannibal Lecter was. Why does that sound familiar?

I would agree with Dr Baps on this.

The director left the film open ended so that you, the viewer, have to use your imagination as to how you think things will pan out.

Another good example of this is the ending to Lock Stock.

American films are mainly aimed at an American audience therefore they tend to have a definitive conclusion. A happy ending with a good moral message seems to be their thing.

British films tend not to insult their audiences intelligence to the same degree.

The Doctor
Return of the Jedi (digitally remastered). Can't believe they changed the music at the end. Was almost as bad as letting Grido shoot first in Episode IV. Cretins :confused:

Aaargghh NO!

The original music at the end of Jedi was awful, changing it is one of the few things that Lucas has got right in the last 25 years.

Now if you'd said changing Anakin's face to Hayden Christensen's was wrong I'd be with you, how must have Sebastian Shaw have felt?

Oh and it's Greedo, btw.

I hated the end of Far And Away, I was quite enjoying seeing Tommy die so I never had to listen to his Oirish accent ever again...

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

The Gauntlet.

Clint as his usual brilliant self, great action and one liners.

The scene with the bus was daft but fun, but the shoot out with the crooked chief of police was cringe-making.

jamboinglasgow
I was really disappointed at the end of Hannibal. In the book ending Clarice Starling and Lecter become an item. Did they change it to be pc? The Americans are funny like that? Also, have you noticed that lots of their film and tv villains are non-American? Sometimes the worst of them are Lithuanians just like Hannibal Lecter was. Why does that sound familiar?

I agree with you there. Listened to the audio tape of Hannibal while in a car going round France (still amazed choose and played that saying I was about 14 at the time) and really enjoyed the story but when I saw the movie it dissapointed me. Thought the fact Clarice and Hector hooked up was a great twist as she had followed him for so long that she became interested in him when he saves her (while she saves him.) Have to agree that I think the american studios didn't want to have the main heroine falling in love with such an evil guy so changed the ending where she let him escape but thats all.

It annoys me American movies are so exact and overtly morale, sometimes I want to see a movie without being lectured (one of the reasons I am getting fed up with The Simpsons.)

Professor.Arturo
What absolute garbage.

The ending is a classic.

Got to agree with you for the second time in one week Dr!

The end of the Italian job is one of the best endings ever.

Telford Jambo

From Dusk til Dawn, I thought the film was going great until they introduced the vampires, still a decent film though, if you're into that kind of thing.

Walter Bishop

The director left the film open ended so that you, the viewer, have to use your imagination as to how you think things will pan out.

American films are mainly aimed at an American audience therefore they tend to have a definitive conclusion. A happy ending with a good moral message seems to be their thing.

British films tend not to insult their audiences intelligence to the same degree.

The ending was left like this becasue a sequel was planned!!

Stephen King's IT. Great film, Tim Curry was a right evil bassa but in the end it turns out he's a giant spider and they kill him with a button. I mean FFS, a button :rolleyes:

Quite a lot of SK films are terrible, exception being Shawshank and The Shining (Nicholson version).

Not an ending, but Speed was ruined by one ridiculous moment of the bus jumping the gap!

Decent concept and could have been a reasonable movie but for that one little scene! :eek:

Cloverfield isn't a "great" film in the true sense of the word (e.g The Godfather) but the ending was disappointing after a decent film.

Got to disagree, the ending was brilliant and it was a good twist.

Great film, one of my favourites.

Kaizer Soze has nothing on our Director of Football working "incognito" though....

Chad Sexington

The award for the most drawn out ending would have to go to the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Bloody hell! that went on forever.

Every time I thought it was safe to reach for my coat there was another 15 minute scene of some elf saying goodbye to a bunch of hobbits.

Realy arse numbing.

This may be bollocks, but I heard that the reason the Italian Job ends in such a way was at the behest of the Italian authorities who didn't want them to look like total mugs.

Was very disappointed with the ending. The film was great up until that point.

Better call Saul

Classic :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I P Knightley
Got to disagree, the ending was brilliant and it was a good twist.

Great film, one of my favourites.

Kaizer Soze has nothing on our Director of Football working "incognito" though....

I'm with you Jambo 83 & the previous caller who said that if you go hunting for a twist then there's a good chance you'll see it.

In my experience, many people who say 'it was blindingly obvious' have self-worth issues, tiny tackles and dress up all in black with black eye-liner & hang out with identical folk so that they all appear different. :)

Aside from that, I have a mate works as a journalist who got to interview Chruis Eubank. Eubank claimed at the time that The Usual Suspects was his favourite movie and that he'd watched it seven times. (Imagine him lisping all that stuff out, "Utzhual Thuthpects; Kaitzher Thotzhe; Theven timetzh".)

Nearly every new film that comes out has a bad ending.

Best ending ever Usual Suspects

It's not the working out it's him bit that is good it's when you notice he has been reading everything of the wall and building his story about Soze round that.

Das Root got it spot on with IT. Absolutely honking finish.

I know an absurd number of people who have turned the film off before the end because it was too scary. I managed to persuade a couple of them to watch it right through and they instantly lost their fear of clowns and gained a fear of Stephen King adaptations. ;)

(Pet Cemetary is a good SK film, beautifully parodied in South Park)

Archived