Do I suffer from OCD?

Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler

It's been bothering me for a while.

I get angry when things aren't in their place, whether it be tools at work or the remote control in the living room.

I get angry when the grass gets 'too long'.

I get angry when the car is 'dirty'.

I have to correct it.

Most worringly though is recently it has been drawn to my attention that when I'm eating a meal and i'm almost finished, I seperate whatever I'm eating (For example, meat, vegetables and potatoes) into equal amounts on the plate so that I get the exact same mouthful for the remainder of my meal.

Any advice welcomed.

:confused:

Sounds like it.

But then, I'd argue that most people have some form of OCD at some point in their lives.

I can only have my TV/Radio volume at a multiple of 5, I go nuts if it's not.

Dirk Diggler
Sounds liek you have anger management problems!

Why?

The grass was too long.

:sad:

I sometimes think I might have OCD. There are certain things in my house that I have to touch a certain amount of times every time I walk past them and stuff, always have TV or radio volume on a multiple of five, always use a locker at the gym which has a locker number of a multiple of four, usually check that the door's locked every time I walk past it, etc. Other things like that. It doesn't really have much of an impact on my everyday life, so I don't really care.

Isaac Begbie

I get angry when things aren't in their place, whether it be tools at work or the remote control in the living room.

I have to correct it.

Whatever you've got you share a lot of symptoms with my partner. Mind you she's female which could explain it......

;)

I think you are all just mental.

I certainly dont have to make sure a calculation coming to the answer 10 can be done countdown style every time i see a digital clock :wacko:

21:49

9 - 2 - 1 + 4 = 10 phew

Toxteth O'Grady

I have to correct it.

Most worringly though is recently it has been drawn to my attention that when I'm eating a meal and i'm almost finished, I seperate whatever I'm eating (For example, meat, vegetables and potatoes) into equal amounts on the plate so that I get the exact same mouthful for the remainder of my meal.

Any advice welcomed.

Get her pumped:)

Nucky Thompson

I'm the same as Makween and have different traits that I have to do the same way, it's more common than you think:)

hughesie27
I think you are all just mental.

I certainly dont have to make sure a calculation coming to the answer 10 can be done countdown style every time i see a digital clock :wacko:

21:49

9 - 2 - 1 + 4 = 10 phew

22:25

2 x 5 =10 x 2 = 20/2 = 10

jamboinglasgow

When I was younger I went through a phase of making sure that every door in the house was shut when I went to bed, dont know why just did it.

Jambof3tornado

As with many mental health problem OCD comes in varying degrees,either that or you could just be a stroppy git!!!

Oh BTW I do the same with my food!!!

BUMWILLYDRIBBLE!!!

I have to correct it.

Any advice welcomed.

SM1083~Weirdo-Posters.jpg

Commander Harris

Everyone has their own wee idiosyncrasies, but being slightly obsessive about a couple of things is vastly different to having OCD.

Someone with OCD generally has obsessive thoughts about something and uses various compulsions or rituals as a way of trying to cope with these thoughts. One example would be that someone would have obsessive thoughts about germs and cleanliness and would compulsively wash their hands in a particular manner to try and cope with that.

There sometimes isn't such an obvious link between the thoughts and the compulsions either, someone might have recurrent disturbing thoughts and to cope with them they would ritually say things in their head, or have a counting routine etc.

Like I say, OCD isn't just being particular about certain things or being "anally retentive".

Sounds slightly OCD but until it starts to affect your life I don't think there's anything much wrong with it.

I prefer to have the volume on my car radio on an even number. Actually, I have a lot of munber related type-things. I tap my fingers in various numerical patterns which most of the time I'm not really aware of.

I'm sure I have more but I can't think of them just now.

Walter Payton
Everyone has their own wee idiosyncrasies, but being slightly obsessive about a couple of things is vastly different to having OCD.

Someone with OCD generally has obsessive thoughts about something and uses various compulsions or rituals as a way of trying to cope with these thoughts. One example would be that someone would have obsessive thoughts about germs and cleanliness and would compulsively wash their hands in a particular manner to try and cope with that.

There sometimes isn't such an obvious link between the thoughts and the compulsions either, someone might have recurrent disturbing thoughts and to cope with them they would ritually say things in their head, or have a counting routine etc.

Like I say, OCD isn't just being particular about certain things or being "anally retentive".

Boo, spoil the thread:rolleyes:

Anyway, the only idiosyncrasies I have I can think of would be the door one (hate sitting in a room with a door, particularly if it's on a wall behind me, open) or the wee red dot that shows up on loads of Sky programmes- I have to press backup to get rid of it, it really annoys me for some reason!

Commander Harris
Boo, spoil the thread:rolleyes:

Anyway, the only idiosyncrasies I have I can think of would be the door one (hate sitting in a room with a door, particularly if it's on a wall behind me, open) or the wee red dot that shows up on loads of Sky programmes- I have to press backup to get rid of it, it really annoys me for some reason!

sorry! :)

didn't mean to spoil the thread, was just answering the OP's question - I don't think people who have the odd idiosyncrasy should worry too much about OCD.

I P Knightley

OCD appears to be becoming the new dyslexia.

There was a time when a kid who could read or write proper (& wrote his name as Rodert) would be labelled a "remedial" by the educationalists and a "thicky" by his parents & peers. All was accepted and society moved on. There were manual jobs far Rodert and life ticked along.

Same with "autism". Folk in the '70s who exhibited traits we now class as autistic were referred to as 'weirdoes' & 'misfits'. Now they get a score somewhere on a continuum.

Such labelling does nothing to make them any 'better' but it seems more acceptable for middle class parents to have a fancy-sounding name for a kid who in all honesty is just another variation in life's rich tapestry. At least the parents haven't 'failed' if there's an "ism" causing the problem.

OCD? You like things to be well-ordered; we could call you a 'control freak' or something jocular, depending on what you get up to. Unless it cripples your life; prevents you from going about your work & relationships, then it doesn't matter what it's called.

Weirdo!!

And for those with humour-deficit-disorder, that last comment was intended to be supportively jocular.

Dix Handley

One of my mates has got OCD but didnt realise how bad it was

until we started calling his bathroom Narnia. ;)

Ray Winstone

I have to correct it.

Any advice welcomed.

Do you beat your wife when all the things in the cupboard are in order like in 'Sleeping with the enemy"?

Obsessive Disorder Is Taking Over Life

Jun 9 2008 Joan Burnie

Q I'M a 16-year-old girl. I'm pretty happy with my life at the moment.

I'm at college, have a great family around me and stuff.

The thing is, I have awful OCD - obsessive compulsive disorder. I can't really remember when it started but, over the past year, it's gotten a lot worse.

I left school almost a year ago and I was incredibly unhappy most days during my third and fourth year. It had a horrible affect on me, even at home.

I became really withdrawn and was crying all the time. But since leaving and going to college, I've become much more confident and happier, which I never thought would happen.

But the OCD is a problem. It's really stupid things that trigger it off.

Everything in my bags have to face a certain way, in the exact same place. It's the same with my clothes in my wardrobe.

If everything isn't exactly how I want it, I get really upset and annoyed, and have to stop what I'm doing to go fix it, even if it's checking little things over and over again.

I've told my mum and gran about it but I make it sound funny or like a joke, as I do with practically everything.

They don't really believe me, probably because they don't see me when I'm really in a state. But the truth is, it's getting to me too much. There are so many things I want to do in my life and I don't need something like this holding me back.

A YOU'VE given a pretty accurate picture of what OCD is and the way in which, no matter how much you want to, you can't break out of the obsessive behaviour.

But it can be done, although you aren't going to do it without some professional support.

You also have to be much more honest and upfront with your mum so she fully understands what's going on.

You've become much too good at covering up your real feelings - something, I suspect you started to do when you were having such a difficult time at school.

It's also probably the root of the OCD.

So maybe, this making a joke of everything, is another habit you should try to get out of.

Once you've told your mum, make an appointment with your GP and, again, you mustn't minimise the problem.

You're not going to get anywhere until you admit the full extent the OCD has on your every day life.

You'll then be referred to someone who can help you cope better with it.

In the meantime, Google OCD into your computer for more insight into the condition, as well as advice on simple strategies which may make things easier.

Only a Game

I met this girl once who lived on her own. She had big time OCD regarding her living arrangments.

Every CD was in strict alphabetical order and god help you if you had a look at a CD and didnt put it back where it belonged.

The stuff in her food cupboards was the same, all placed in alphabetical order.

I made a few mistakes when I helped her put her shopping away one day because I didnt know whether beans should be filed under "B" for beans or "H" for Heinz. She went mental.

The end finally came when she gave me a row for not doing things in the "right order" in the bedroom.

The Old Tolbooth
I met this girl once who lived on her own. She had big time OCD regarding her living arrangments.

Every CD was in strict alphabetical order and god help you if you had a look at a CD and didnt put it back where it belonged.

The stuff in her food cupboards was the same, all placed in alphabetical order.

I made a few mistakes when I helped her put her shopping away one day because I didnt know whether beans should be filed under "B" for beans or "H" for Heinz. She went mental.

The end finally came when she gave me a row for not doing things in the "right order" in the bedroom.

Never been with a bird from Carstairs myself :rolleyes:

I P Knightley

Here's a rhyme to help you remember:

Milk, milk,

Lemonade,

round the back

chocolate's made.

Only a Game
Never been with a bird from Carstairs myself :rolleyes:

She's a lawyer now............Quite worrying really.

Craigieboy

I like having OCD.

These days, it gets things done in logical order & completely.

I don't worry about the germs when I'm having a joaby or getting it pumped so I'm fine really.

It used to be terrible. I'm glad I'm getting better.

The only problem I encounter now is when I lose a set of keys for my work. I go ****ing mental.

Here's a rhyme to help you remember:

Milk, milk,

Lemonade,

round the back

chocolate's made.

:fing25:

Dirk Diggler
Do you beat your wife when all the things in the cupboard are in order like in 'Sleeping with the enemy"?

No, No beating. :)

I'm not one for the labels all having to be the same way etc but I like the tins to be in their groups.

It makes life easier, right?

If i'm in the house when the shopping is getting put away I have to deal with it.

I have been known to go 'off on one' over the state of the fridge shortly after she has stocked it.

I'm positive she does it on purpose.

coppercrutch
No, No beating. :)

I'm not one for the labels all having to be the same way etc but I like the tins to be in their groups.

It makes life easier, right?

If i'm in the house when the shopping is getting put away I have to deal with it.

I have been known to go 'off on one' over the state of the fridge shortly after she has stocked it.

I'm positive she does it on purpose.

You don't have OCD. You just hate your wife. I believe that condition is quite common.

Dirk Diggler
You don't have OCD. You just hate your wife. I believe that condition is quite common.

:)

winston churchill
When I was younger I went through a phase of making sure that every door in the house was shut when I went to bed, dont know why just did it.

i was like that with all the plugs in our house.i used to get up two or three times a night making sure every thing was switched off at the wall socket.

come to think of it,i am now like that with the car it has to be straight when i park in the drive way:wacko:

also, if i see any weeds in the drive it drives me mental.

Archived