Time to build a new House of Commons ?

CJGJ

Why spend ?4 billion on a refurbishment of an old and past it building not fit for use when for that sum a new Parliament can be built easily and perhaps in a new city ?.......and of course it will end up being a lot more needing spent despite that estimate.

Selling the land itself would raise a fantastic sum simply due to it's location

Views

Why spend ?4 billion on a refurbishment of an old and past it building not fit for use when for that sum a new Parliament can be built easily and perhaps in a new city ?.......and of course it will end up being a lot more needing spent despite that estimate.

Selling the land itself would raise a fantastic sum simply due to it's location

Views

It cant be sold due to its listed status. Its status has led us to the very expensive repairs.

If a new one was built, the current one will still stand.

A new one should be built.

There's no justification to spend ?4 billion on refurbishment. As mentioned we know it will go above budget.

Even if it were possible to 'sell' it's not the sort of building you either knock down or sell. It would similar to Russia selling the Kremlin to an oligarch or selling the White House to Disney. It's an important part of UK history, at best you could make it a museum.

Like it or not, it has symbolic stature so would be hard to get rid.

Personally, I thin kit is time to federalise the UK (unless we leave of course!)

Keep WM for the English Parliament.  That's what it historically always was the venue for.

Build a new UK Parliament somewhere else OR have that sit in Edinburgh/Cardiff/Belfast/London on a rota basis.

At the same time as they built the Scottish parliament building they built a new office complex near Westminster for secretaries and support staff for MPs. It cost the same, if not more, than our whole parliament building. ?4bn on London gets you sod all, and certainly not a state of the art parliament building. 

If it went ahead they would need to leave the building for 6 years anyway

I'd be willing to bet after year 3 no one will really miss the building....oh and the cost does not include the costs of moving elsewhere as well....no building should be expected to be there forever no matter the cost.

This is the chance to move elsewhere out of London

This is the chance to move elsewhere out of London

It might be but it'll never happen. Absolutely no way will Southern MPs/Little Englanders go for it plus its been ruled out already.

That was a fictional wooden stockade, on Scottish soil, mate.

Didn't work out too well in the end.

Get onto that posh Tory tottie hotline you like so much, mate. Relieve some of that stress. :thumbsup:

:D

Even if it were possible to 'sell' it's not the sort of building you either knock down or sell. It would similar to Russia selling the Kremlin to an oligarch or selling the White House to Disney. It's an important part of UK history, at best you could make it a museum.

Already is...

At the same time as they built the Scottish parliament building they built a new office complex near Westminster for secretaries and support staff for MPs. It cost the same, if not more, than our whole parliament building. ?4bn on London gets you sod all, and certainly not a state of the art parliament building.

Hope it looks better than ours.

Space Mackerel

Any figures on the refurb if England could afford this on their own? [emoji38]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's a fantastic building. There next week again - much of the history on the way in is not too complementary to the Scots.

Portcullis house. Even has an underground station.

portcullis_house_westminster_opt.jpg

article-0-052C0781000005DC-499_468x346.j

portcullis3.jpg

Footballfirst

Holyrood was first estimated to cost between ?10M-?40M and in the end cost ?414M (wiki).  Portcullis House cost ?235M

I'm sure that a new build, even in London, for a modern parliament building would be better value for money.  It could also be a trigger for modernising the whole parliamentary process, by getting away from the benches facing one another, electronic voting etc.  The Palace of Westminster wasn't designed to house a parliament so the rooms were meant to be drawing rooms, dining rooms, ballrooms, halls etc.

I would go for a new build and the refurbishment of the Palace of Westminster (over a longer period if necessary), and have it function as a museum, perhaps with re-enactments of key debates, decisions, events, etc., for the tourists.  The first could be Guy Fawkes with some real semtex :whistling: 

They should have grabbed the Millennium Dome when they had the chance.

That was even better value than Holyrood- a billion to build and sold for a pound.

I'm glad you took that the way it was intended mate. I'm not into the whole, "other" debate, like others. I appreciate your view(albeit mental, at times) and others, who are as vociferous in their views on the subject.

I've not agreed with a lot of what you've put in the past. However, different views, and debate, is what make The Shed a good place to be, at times. :thumbsup:

You can't be pulling fantastic buildings like this down and replacing them with things like the one we have.

It has to be restored whatever the cost.

There would be chaos if anyone tried to pull down any of our great castles etc...

Archived