iPhone 7 - Will you wont you?

Erik

New iPhone 7 launched last night then.

Thoughts?

I'm due an upgrade rom my current 6 and had been quite looking forward to it........ but i'm sitting this morning somewhat unconvinced that I need / want to shift on to a 7.

Inevitably the lure of something shiny and new will probably see me jumping on board but cant help but feel a bit 'meh' about it at the moment.

Bridge of Djoum

Apple are disappearing up there own arses.

No headphone socket, therefore you have to buy an adapter to use regular headphones, or spunk $110 on ''airpods'', Apple's new wireless efforts, that, given Apple's history of designing crap headphones, will last a few months before the bass falls out of them. I know you get a set with the new phone, but they won't last. All this on top of them already changing the charging cable from Iphone5 onwards, rendering all the others you'd collected over the years useless.

I'm up for an upgrade soon, I shan't be buying Apple products anymore. I've grown to detest them, their products and business practices.

Phew! some rant for 2am.

There's not much smart phone can do these days to make people go "Wow". Most seem to just iterate their cameras which is nice but I doubt 90% of folk use any extra features.

Apps like Snapchat certainly don't use them*.

That said it looks decent and faster phones with bigger batteries are lovely.

I don't see why anyone would choose a 7 over the plus however.

*Instagram actually will use the 7plus zoom feature.

Im in exactly the same boat, for practicality and the way the apps look and stuff i dont think there is better than Iphones, however my hatred for mine is becoming extreme and the "maps" on it are horrendous.

What other decent options are there as i'm due an upgrade in about a month i think.

No headphone socket, therefore you have to buy an adapter to use regular headphones, or spunk $110 on ''airpods'', Apple's new wireless efforts, that, given Apple's history of designing crap headphones, will last a few months before the bass falls out of them. I know you get a set with the new phone, but they won't last. All this on top of them already changing the charging cable from Iphone5 onwards, rendering all the others you'd collected over the years useless.

I'm up for an upgrade soon, I shan't be buying Apple products anymore. I've grown to detest them, their products and business practices.

Phew! some rant for 2am.

You get an adapter for 3.5 jack headphones in the box.

Nobody is making you use Apple headphones.

Bridge of Djoum

You get an adapter for 3.5 jack headphones in the box.

Nobody is making you use Apple headphones.

Apple will also supply an adaptor that enables traditional headphones to continue to plug into the iPhone, but it will not allow for charging at the same time.

Hardly ideal though, right? My point was, as stated, that when the headphones eventually go tits up, as Apple's always do, the price is prohibitive when you come to replace them.  I see what you're saying though. 

Apple will also supply an adaptor that enables traditional headphones to continue to plug into the iPhone, but it will not allow for charging at the same time.

Its not ideal no, but I have never in my life had to charge my phone whilst using headphones. Does it happen often in your life?

Your point is fine, I don't know much about apple earphones so I'll trust that you have had a phone break on you. Only a fool would continue to buy expensive replacements instead of a 3rd party pair that they trust.

Hardly ideal though, right? My point was, as stated, that when the headphones eventually go tits up, as Apple's always do, the price is prohibitive when you come to replace them. I see what you're saying though.

I personally have always owned Galaxy S's but can appreciate iPhones are great premium devices.

Thing is I never see people on social media complaining about updates crashing their Android phones or half as many complaints about cracked screens on their Galaxy's.

I'm not against getting an iPhone. I always check them out when I upgrade to see what deals they have. And I've certainly had a 2 year old Galaxy die on me before, but they are cheaper and often release with better screens (both image quality and protective glass) and specs 6 Months after the latest iPhone.

Im in exactly the same boat, for practicality and the way the apps look and stuff i dont think there is better than Iphones, however my hatred for mine is becoming extreme and the "maps" on it are horrendous.

What other decent options are there as i'm due an upgrade in about a month i think.

Sooperstar recently switched to a Galaxy phone from an iPhone. He might be able to offer his opinions on switching if he's on this thread.

Not a chance, had an 4s and detested it, the wife had a 5 and hated it, both were unreliable. The wife has a galaxy and I have an excellent Xperia, would not go back to an iPhone.

I doubt I'll ever buy another iphone. They are well overpriced. I did consider an iphone 6s Plus back in April but they were way over what I'd pay.

I currently have the LG G5 which is every bit as powerful as the latest Samsung Galaxy S7 and I'm only paying ?27 p/m.

I already have the "dual" rear camera which apple have just launched 6 months after I got my phone.

To be honest, I've had an iPhone for longer than I care to remember now probably spanning back the last 6-7 years or so and I can say with relative confidence that I've not once plugged a pair of headpones in to my phone.

Appreciate that many others will do so though. I'm just not one of them, so the lack of headphone jack isn't an issue for me personally.

What I don't understand is that they say that with the 3.5mm adaptor in, charging wont be supported....... which to me kind implies that with the lightning cable attached, charging IS supported? How will that work? Can you have a chargin cable AND headphones in the same lightning slot?

Bridge of Djoum

I personally have always owned Galaxy S's but can appreciate iPhones are great premium devices.

Thing is I never see people on social media complaining about updates crashing their Android phones or half as many complaints about cracked screens on their Galaxy's.

I'm not against getting an iPhone. I always check them out when I upgrade to see what deals they have. And I've certainly had a 2 year old Galaxy die on me before, but they are cheaper and often release with better screens (both image quality and protective glass) and specs 6 Months after the latest iPhone.

I've had an iPhone since they 1st came out, I've seen a gradual decline in the product. Yes, aesthetically they are good, but I feel other phones have caught up and surpassed Apple technically.

My 6 is my last, time to try something else.

Bridge of Djoum

To be honest, I've had an iPhone for longer than I care to remember now probably spanning back the last 6-7 years or so and I can say with relative confidence that I've not once plugged a pair of headpones in to my phone.

Appreciate that many others will do so though. I'm just not one of them, so the lack of headphone jack isn't an issue for me personally.

What I don't understand is that they say that with the 3.5mm adaptor in, charging wont be supported....... which to me kind implies that with the lightning cable attached, charging IS supported? How will that work? Can you have a chargin cable AND headphones in the same lightning slot?

You've never listened to music or any audio at all on your phone?

Nothing wrong with that, I'm just very surprised.

You've never listened to music or any audio at all on your phone?

Nothing wrong with that, I'm just very surprised.

Not via headphones, nope.

If i'm in the flat and play something with music, it plays through the speakers.

If i'm in the car, my phone's connected via cable to the car stereo and plays that way.

The last three iphones I've sold have still had the original headphones still in their box unopened - the ones for my 6 will be the same.

Recently made the move from iPhone to Samsung Note 7. (No it hasn't blown up on me)

Massive improvmemt in my eyes. Far superior screen. No idea why apple haven't jumped on oled screens yet. I can also make my phone look exactly how I want, unlike iOS.

Walter Payton

Is there not also wireless charging with the new iPhone? If that's the case, you won't be reliant on the lightening dock for charging.

Never had a problem with any iPhone I've had. (Had them all).

I'll be getting the 7. Looks fantastic.

Knowing apple they'll block 3rd party adapters too..

Seeing how Apple sell 3rd party adapters in their stores, I doubt that will be true.

Phew! some rant for 2am.

That is an incredible amount of shite you've just posted, even for you.

You get an adapter with the phone, so you don't need to buy one. Even then, you'd be surprised how many people are using wireless headphones now anyway. 

And as for changing the cable, you realise that Samsung, Sony, etc have changed their charging cables in the past, yeah? That's what happens. Technology moves on and adapters/cables change too. It's actually pretty simple.

The more I look the more I'm sold on it.

I think by lunchtime i'll have registered my interest in an upgrade haha - its was inevitable even when I started this thread questioning myself over it.

Biggest decision is gonna be colour - think i'm defo drawn to the matt black one.

marshallschunkychicken

I'll most likely get one in a couple of months when my current contract runs out and sell my 6.

I'm interested to know how they will tackle charging whilst listening to music though, as I tend to sit at work with my charger on and headphones in.

I have the 6 but don't think I'll be getting the 7. The 6 is really good and I'm due an upgrade but since I'm now only paying ?17pm I'm just going to keep it until it shows signs of slowing down. 

Bridge of Djoum

Seeing how Apple sell 3rd party adapters in their stores, I doubt that will be true.

That is an incredible amount of shite you've just posted, even for you.

You get an adapter with the phone, so you don't need to buy one. Even then, you'd be surprised how many people are using wireless headphones now anyway. 

And as for changing the cable, you realise that Samsung, Sony, etc have changed their charging cables in the past, yeah? That's what happens. Technology moves on and adapters/cables change too. It's actually pretty simple.

I love your seethe for me.

I also love how you continually fail to see points, as your anger flashes before your brain engages. Keep it up.

Has anyone got an Iphone SE?

Daughter is getting her first phone for her birthday on Saturday and we've reached a compromise she can get this. No way are we forking out for the new iphone 7 or even a 6 on payg.

I'll stick with my 6 Plus for the foreseeable future. It has been faultless from day one and each software update has installed without any problems. I bought it unlocked from Apple and use a 3 sim only deal. 

Rudolf's Mate

Daughter is getting her first phone for her birthday on Saturday and we've reached a compromise she can get this. No way are we forking out for the new iphone 7 or even a 6 on payg.

The SE is a great phone at a decent price. 

I tried Samsung and despite being impressed with notable improvements I ended up back with Apple within weeks. 

The SE is a great phone at a decent price.

I tried Samsung and despite being impressed with notable improvements I ended up back with Apple within weeks.

Glad to hear that as I don't know anyone who owns one. I'm picking it up lunchtime today so thanks.

itsnomarooned

I've had iPhones for ages and not once had any problem with them. I've got another year on my 6 but will most likely upgrade to whatever iteration is out then. Like someone above posted I can probably count on one hand (with most of the fingers lopped off) the times I've plugged headphones in.  I use an iPod for music so unless they start farting about with headphone connectors there I'm happy.

Sooperstar recently switched to a Galaxy phone from an iPhone. He might be able to offer his opinions on switching if he's on this thread.

I've always had iPhones had the 3gs, 4s, 5s and 6 but switched to a Galaxy S7 Edge a few months ago and I'm so glad I did.

Actually fell in love with my phone again.

It's a stunning device but the best bit is I don't feel restricted.

If I lose my charger I can use any one of the million other micro USB I have laying around. If I need more storage just stick a bigger micro sd card in it.

Also, it's not hard to switch like apple want you to believe.

All my music is from Spotify and all my pics are uploaded to servers anyway so it's a doddle.

Rudolf's Mate

Glad to hear that as I don't know anyone who owns one. I'm picking it up lunchtime today so thanks.

I jumped from 4's to the SE and I noticed a decent jump tbh. I also went for went for the 64GB version as the difference in price some were offering was minimal at the time. 

Also agree with what others are saying. I've been with iPhone since 3 and I've never ever had any reliability issues. 

I changed last year to a Sony Xperia, I think it's great, won't be going back to an iPhone.

Same here

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

The camera upgrades, especially on the bigger Plus are rather nice. 

I can understand the removal of the 3.5mm jack to aid water resistance, but it's a real shame Apple hasn't been bold and switched to USB-C so folk can buy any headphones.

Proprietary connectors for simple things like headphones is a really dickish thing.

I've got an SE so no need to upgrade for a while. Keen for a larger screen once the footprint shrinks, and rumours are the 2017 iPhone will have a redesign with bezel-less screen/front.

Worth noting the price in the UK has gone up by around ?80.

I have both an iPhone and a Samsung (one for work) and despite all of the reasons I should feel hemmed in by Apple, I just don't. I love how iPhones work and I've never once had a significant problem with any of them. I always opt to use my iPhone over anything else, it's just a much cleaner, more intuitive and smooth experience. It does exactly what it's supposed to do and I find Android awkward and clunky in comparison.

I feel much the same as the OP about the 7 (I read online that big changes are supposed to be coming with the 8 next year) but I'm not going to kid myself on and pretend I won't get one. I probably will. I like shiny new things too much.

I have both an iPhone and a Samsung (one for work) and despite all of the reasons I should feel hemmed in by Apple, I just don't. I love how iPhones work and I've never once had a significant problem with any of them. I always opt to use my iPhone over anything else, it's just a much cleaner, more intuitive and smooth experience. It does exactly what it's supposed to do and I find Android awkward and clunky in comparison.

I feel much the same as the OP about the 7 (I read online that big changes are supposed to be coming with the 8 next year) but I'm not going to kid myself on and pretend I won't get one. I probably will. I like shiny new things too much.

I think that's the one stumbling block for me - signing up to another 2 year contract on a 7 is effectively ruling you out of the big changes which are meant to be coming next year.

Part of me is saying hold off and wait for the 8 next year. A bigger part of me is dazzled by my inner magpie. Mmmmmm shiny new stuff!!!!!

I think that's the one stumbling block for me - signing up to another 2 year contract on a 7 is effectively ruling you out of the big changes which are meant to be coming next year.

Part of me is saying hold off and wait for the 8 next year. A bigger part of me is dazzled by my inner magpie. Mmmmmm shiny new stuff!!!!!

Same! And I'm currently sitting here trying to convince myself that not being able to get an iPhone 8 when it first launches is probably a good thing. I mean, all those amazing technomological gadgetry thingymajig improvements will mean a buggy start...right? The iPhone 8s might be the star of the show just a year later, and we'd be at the front of the queue with our expiring contracts at just the right time.

This may all be complete bollocks, but if it's completely unrealistic I just don't care. If it doesn't point towards me getting an iPhone 7 pretty much immediately, I don't want to hear it. :biggrin:

luckyBatistuta

I've had every iPhone from day one and wouldn't contemplate jumping on to anything else. I have looked at the other main contenders and played around with them, but nothing seems to run as smoothly as them imo. I had to take my phone back to Apple recently, as the phone was damaged and they replaced it with a brand new one, in the box...how's that for service. If the new stereo speakers on the 7 are anything like the ones on my iPad Pro, the sound quality is going to be fantastic. I have the 6 plus at the moment and wasn't planning on getting the 7, but I'm also a bit of a magpie too, so you never know.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Had every iPhone since the first one (bar the S inbetween upgrades). 

Due for an upgrade this month but I have had nothing but bother with the last 6. To be fair its the only one I've had bother with (2 duff screens and a broken antenna) but it was such a painful experience trying to sort it out the last issue, lies told by the helpline, hours spent in the Apple store and on the phone when the guy on my first visit pretty much diagnosed the problem as a faulty antenna on my first visit.

I have had nothing but Apple products since I got given my first Mac in 1997 (joys of dyslexia at college) and trying to use anything else now scares the bejesus out of me, android and windows are just so complicated, but Apple seem to be giving less of a toss about the consumer these days it makes me think I'm no longer the valued customer I was. The whole sad scenario with updates not working and simple things like nothing but Apple charging cords suddenly not being recognised just sours in my stomach.

Right now I'm pretty much on the fence but the thought of being stuck for two years with a duff phone I cant use is a not a good thought! 

I changed last year to a Sony Xperia, I think it's great, won't be going back to an iPhone.

Sony Xperias are excellent! Always had a Sony phone since the Ericsson models and have never had any reason to change.

Always thought iPhones are overrated.

Same! And I'm currently sitting here trying to convince myself that not being able to get an iPhone 8 when it first launches is probably a good thing. I mean, all those amazing technomological gadgetry thingymajig improvements will mean a buggy start...right? The iPhone 8s might be the star of the show just a year later, and we'd be at the front of the queue with our expiring contracts at just the right time.

This may all be complete bollocks, but if it's completely unrealistic I just don't care. If it doesn't point towards me getting an iPhone 7 pretty much immediately, I don't want to hear it. :biggrin:

Frightening just how similar this post is to the exact train of thought I've been having with myself all morning haha!

The iPhone 8 will have a slightly faster chip and and longer battery life and everyone will lap it up again.

Frightening just how similar this post is to the exact train of thought I've been having with myself all morning haha!

I read the thread title as "iPhone 7 - you will, won't you?"

[emoji51]

I love your seethe for me.

I also love how you continually fail to see points, as your anger flashes before your brain engages. Keep it up.

Seethe? Nah, there's no-one on here that gets to me in any way close to that.

I just think you're funny. You believe yourself to be some kind of stand out voice in the crowd. It's just hilarious how wrong you get everything you talk about.

:jjyay:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used pretty much every brand over the years and while Nokia are my favourite while they are still on Windows they'll continue to be shit so I can't see past the Samsung.

I've got the S5 just now and it's brilliant. My wife has the S6 and it's superb and I'll be upgrading to an S7 soon.

The fact it's near waterproof is also a massive bonus. Living on a farm I need my phones to be durable so while I keep mine with a case and screen protector on it it suffers plenty of abuse. Even still after a year it's not got a scratch and has never needed repairing. It hasn't failed on any challenges so far from games to business it does the lot.

o2 refresh. you trade in after a year and you get the new model.

I P Knightley

I doubt I'll ever buy another iphone. They are well overpriced. I did consider an iphone 6s Plus back in April but they were way over what I'd pay.

I currently have the LG G5 which is every bit as powerful as the latest Samsung Galaxy S7 and I'm only paying ?27 p/m.

I already have the "dual" rear camera which apple have just launched 6 months after I got my phone.

"ONLY" ?27p/m for a feckin' phone ffs!!

Not a personal dig, by the way, just a despairing observation that expectations have changed so much that over ?300 a year for a phone (ffs) is considered "only" by a lot of people.

I've got my Galaxy S4 and, through work, an iPhone 5 - may be an S on there, I don't know for sure. I get on great with the Galaxy; I hate the iPhone (not just because it brings me my shitty work emails every time - if it's in the mood). My old iPad had seen better days & I replaced it a few months ago with a Galaxy Tab (S2?). ?100 cheaper than the equivalent iPad; all the same functionality for what I need.

Apple can go and stick all of their products - every last one of them - up their shitty hoop.

Just in my opinion, you understand.

I'm in the same boat, contract on the Iphone 6 expires in a couple of days but don't see a massive improvement in the 7 so will probably drop down to SIM only deal for the next wee while and save my self ?30 a month.

"ONLY" ?27p/m for a feckin' phone ffs!!

Not a personal dig, by the way, just a despairing observation that expectations have changed so much that over ?300 a year for a phone (ffs) is considered "only" by a lot of people.

I've got my Galaxy S4 and, through work, an iPhone 5 - may be an S on there, I don't know for sure. I get on great with the Galaxy; I hate the iPhone (not just because it brings me my shitty work emails every time - if it's in the mood). My old iPad had seen better days & I replaced it a few months ago with a Galaxy Tab (S2?). ?100 cheaper than the equivalent iPad; all the same functionality for what I need.

Apple can go and stick all of their products - every last one of them - up their shitty hoop.

Just in my opinion, you understand.

?27pm IS cheap though.

I'm paying ?50odd per month for mine and its one of the few direct debits I don't grudge one bit.

Basically unlimited everything and I certainly feel like I get my usage's worth out of that ?50.

My kids both have 5c's and they are really good.

I have had a 3, a 4 and the wife has a 5s

all really good though I was most attatched to the 3 which worked fine for years before finally dieing

Archived