Where to get a baked potato in edinburgh

joseywales

I have always liked baked potatoes but it is getting harder and harder to get a decent baked potato any suggestions.

luckyBatistuta

The Tempting Tattie on Jeffrey Street used to be brilliant, but it's changed hands so not sure about it now. Worth a try maybe.

My guilty pleasure is a weekly baked tattie with coronation chicken from Rapid Rolls at Fountainbridge. No convinced the quality is comparably that good (can't recall last time I had one from elsewhere), but quantity is impressive- you get 1.5 massive potatoes.

There's a cracking wee Polish shop that sells baked tatties in Tollcross.

You probably won't like it.

My guilty pleasure is a weekly baked tattie with coronation chicken from Rapid Rolls at Fountainbridge. No convinced the quality is comparably that good (can't recall last time I had one from elsewhere), but quantity is impressive- you get 1.5 massive potatoes.

Not sure why, but I have always found coronation chicken on a baked tattie wrong. I think it is the raisins.

For me, it is cheese and cream cheese, or cheese and chilli.

A good baked tattie is cracking, though.

Not sure why, but I have always found coronation chicken on a baked tattie wrong. I think it is the raisins.

For me, it is cheese and cream cheese, or cheese and chilli.

A good baked tattie is cracking, though.

Their version of coronation chicken doesn't actually have raisins in it.

"The Baked Potato Shop" at the top of Cockburn Street. Go whenever I get the chance and the things are bloody huge. Takes about 2 attempts to get through a medium one

A regular stop-off for us after a few refreshments in limelite when we lived down that way.

Good tatties.

Butter, salt and cheddar on a tattie purist sort of day.... Or spicy mushroom if I'm feeling like going a bit exotic. Great baked potatoes. Haven't had one in a while actually, must rectify that.

Seymour M Hersh

Take It Away Spud (opposite the Bailly) in Stockbridge always did excellent baked tatties.  But since i've not had one in years from there or elsewhere couldn't really say where is best now. 

luckyBatistuta

Making your own...

Cover the potato in oil then smother with salt & pepper, then it has to be cheese and haggis. The cheese MUST go in first, so that it melts properly.

luckyBatistuta

"The Baked Potato Shop" at the top of Cockburn Street. Go whenever I get the chance and the things are bloody huge. Takes about 2 attempts to get through a medium one

After reading this, I'm going to be paying this place a visit when I'm back to work.

I thought it was a truth universally acknowledged that the one at the top of Cockburn Street was the best. Veggie though.

Personally l preferred tuna mayo and Greek salad from Tempting Tatties - and a chat with the owner about the miserableness of working life.

luckyBatistuta

I thought it was a truth universally acknowledged that the one at the top of Cockburn Street was the best. Veggie though.

Personally l preferred tuna mayo and Greek salad from Tempting Tatties - and a chat with the owner about the miserableness of working life.

:rofl: had the same chat

Jambo dans les Pyrenees

Take It Away Spud (opposite the Bailly) in Stockbridge always did excellent baked tatties. But since i've not had one in years from there or elsewhere couldn't really say where is best now.

This. But also at least 5 years since I was there.

fabienleclerq

The one at the top of Cockburn Street is still there. That's the only quality option.

This. Big portions, quality food.

Carl Fredrickson

Mr Hot Potato is near my work and over the years I must have spent a small fortune in there. 

My first job was in the 1980s and I was based at the foot of Cockburn Street. Being the youngest in the office, I was sent up to the baked tattie shop to get tatties for the office. It was my first experience of proper baked tatties as my mum was a lousy cook. 

Being the 80s my filling of choice (influenced by the women in the office) was cheese, onion and pineapple. A taste sensation. 

Now being older and not so easily influenced, I enjoy something a bit more spicy. 

All roads lead to Gorgie

A good Chilli con carne in a tattie is bliss but finding the right place to find such is getting more difficult as coffee shops and burger joints seem to take over all the spaces.

Used to enjoy a baked potato and haggis from the one opposite st Stephens street in Stockbridge (mentioned already), but again years since I was last there.

The Tattie Creel at the foot of Leith Walk is damn good, I'd spend a bloody fortune in there if it was still open on the way home from work!

The one at Cockburn street for me, as said even a small is massive!

Where exactly is this one at toll cross? Might be daft but I work in that area and can't think? Is it the polish bakery we are talking here or somewhere else?

I'll second this.  I used to work nearby, had one of their tatties at lunch time and never bothered with dinner that evening, I was still stuffed.

...a bit disco

Wester Hailes Garage was the baked tattie champion back in the day.

24 hours as well. Magic for soaking up the alcohol.

Clark Griswold

Another vote for Rapid Rolls. a once-a-week/two week treat though as has been mentioned, portions are huge (1.5 tatties as mentioned also). Filling of choice there is a Ham-Cheese-Spring onion mayo mix (cheese savoury-like) or a cheese and beans - amazing! If getting at lunch, you're comatosed for the rest of the day in the office though :lol:

Oddly, without reading this thread, I had a craving for this today.

I had 2 baked potatoes, with cheese, pulled pork, a bit more cheese, a tin of beans and then just a wee touch of cheese on top.

It was :glorious:

Is Mr Hot Potato at Meadowbank the same guy that had a place on Gorgie Road at the bottom of Robbie Ave? When I worked in Robbie Ave I was a regular in there for lunch.

Another vote for Rapid Rolls. a once-a-week/two week treat though as has been mentioned, portions are huge (1.5 tatties as mentioned also). Filling of choice there is a Ham-Cheese-Spring onion mayo mix (cheese savoury-like) or a cheese and beans - amazing! If getting at lunch, you're comatosed for the rest of the day in the office though :lol:

Went today.

Didn't do much work this afternoon.

Their version of coronation chicken doesn't actually have raisins in it.

Must check it out then. Without the raisins, I reckon it could be good.

There's a cracking wee Polish shop that sells baked tatties in Tollcross.

You probably won't like it.

The politics of potatoes.

Haha the guy cannae talk tatties and hes being called a racist.

baked potato lunch =afternoon nap.

Spudulike was always a favourite of mine and my wee boy.The whole experience and memory of it was ruined one day when a Traffic Warden told me to "****ing move now".In front of a three year old child.

The one at Cockburn street for me, as said even a small is massive!

Where exactly is this one at toll cross? Might be daft but I work in that area and can't think? Is it the polish bakery we are talking here or somewhere else?

Spud U Like was on Brougham Street, I assume it still is. It reminds me of my childhood, the family loved it when my granny lived on Panmure Place.

Notbrainwashed

The veggie haggis and cheese from the one on Cockburn street is the business.

The veggie haggis there is phenomonal on their behemoths of tatties.  Wife introduced me to the one in Meadowbank and was very impressed.  Used to live on Panmure place, too, Darren.  SpudULike was a regular haunt and was great

Now I have a baked tattie craving

We have baked potatoes every Wednesday in my house. I do four potatoes, two for me, one for the missus and then a forth one for the wee man's lunch the next day where we just scoop out the soft potato. He's seven months so no teeth yet.

I usually munch down the potato skins from his potato about half an hour after dinner despite being ridiculously full up already.

The politics of potatoes.

Haha the guy cannae talk tatties and hes being called a racist.

Sorry to change the subject but didn't Britain as a whole vote for brexit are all these people racists too.

I decided to go to baguette express on gorgie road cheap and cheerful the way I like it. But I might try spudulike in the princes mall besides I ain't going to pay 4.50 for a medium tattie with cheese at Cockburn street.

highlandjambo3

I actuallt run a part time business selling these at highland games/horse shows and other events spring, summer time.......................

if making yourself, rub the spud with olive oil and rock salt.............. oven at 180 and after about 1.1/2 hours poke a skewer through to check for resistance...........if none then its done....................enjoy.  ( you dont need to cover with tinfoil to cook either...................if you have the time allow the spud to cool for a few hours then zap in microwave, as the tattie cools it takes in the flaviour of the skin and tastes great (will be a slight yellow/brown colour)

cook 3-4 at the same time as they freeze quite well. 

...a bit disco

Cooking them in a hurry.

As above, olive oil and rock salt then 10 mins in the microwave.

When pinged, transfer to oven for 30-40 mins gas 6.

Then enjoy.

Archived