Video rental store at Jocks Lodge/Meadowbank

Sandy Clark

Can anyone remember the name of the vhs/beta rental store at Jocks Lodge? I'm sure it was a Blockbuster but what was it before. I seem to recall a yellow and red label but cannot remember the name.

Fitzroy Pointon

I don't know if they had a shop there, but Azad Video had a red and yellow sign.

Was Azad not white on a red background?

Loved a Saturday evening trip to the video shop.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Can anyone remember the name of the vhs/beta rental store at Jocks Lodge? I'm sure it was a Blockbuster but what was it before. I seem to recall a yellow and red label but cannot remember the name.

I worked in blockbuster in junction Street, they did indeed have a jocks lodge branch so you could be right.

There also was a competitor and I think it was Global video.

Was Azad not white on a red background?

Loved a Saturday evening trip to the video shop.

If you search in google images for azad video shop, it shows a shop with red and yellow. That's not to say they changed their colour scheme.

Fitzroy Pointon

If you search in google images for azad video shop, it shows a shop with red and yellow. That's not to say they changed their colour scheme.

Ah so it is [emoji106]

MacDonald Jardine

Did it not end up as Kenny McAskill's constituency office, or just another video nasty?

Yes it did.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Are we talking about the corner of Piersfield Terrace and Place?

No. On Willowbrae Road, just after you turn from Jocks Lodge.

I remember the video shop in the Wester Hailes shopping centre. VHS down one side, Betamax down the other. Those were the days.

one at abbeyhill called Armchair Theatre.

The shop is still there but is currently for sale. Does technical work now like converting VHS to DVD's etc.

The shop is still there but is currently for sale. Does technical work now like converting VHS to DVD's etc.

Cheers didn't know that.

Renting a video and finding out the previous customer hadn't rewound the tape...

:muggy:

We were meant to fine the person and rewind the tape in store.

Couldn't be arsed :jj:

Renting a video and finding out the previous customer hadn't rewound the tape...

Leaving the video in the machine but forgetting to forward on from the sex scene that you've been intently studying and a family member uses the video next.

I seem to remember a 50p fine for such a crime.

Talk-o-the-North

During the summer school holidays and taking the empty globe juice bottles back to the newsagent and giving the dough to one of the older guys to get a video off the top shelf. All piling back to whoever had the video recorder and an empty hoose!

It was worse when folk did that with DVD's!

I remember Global. They had a branch up Southside when I stayed with my Dad in Buccleuch Street. Pretty sure it was next door to the drum shop or thereabouts.

Seems like years ago to since the Blockbuster video was there too, on the corner of the junction of Clerk Street and Hope Park Terrace.

FWIW, there's still a video shop on Clerk Street. Vogue Video, been there for ages and the boys still going strong. Luddites like my dad are keeping him in business.

I used to love going with my mum to Blockbuster in Dalry Road with my pocket money to rent a PS1 game. Used to even buy a pre-owned game if I'd saved up.

I remember Global. They had a branch up Southside when I stayed with my Dad in Buccleuch Street. Pretty sure it was next door to the drum shop or thereabouts.

Seems like years ago to since the Blockbuster video was there too, on the corner of the junction of Clerk Street and Hope Park Terrace.

FWIW, there's still a video shop on Clerk Street. Vogue Video, been there for ages and the boys still going strong. Luddites like my dad are keeping him in business.

I used to love going with my mum to Blockbuster in Dalry Road with my pocket money to rent a PS1 game. Used to even buy a pre-owned game if I'd saved up.

Global was right next door to the Abbey pub. My missus in 92/93 used to work there part time. The amount of absolutely terrible videos she used to bring hame....

There was also another video shop in piershill where jimmy the barbers was now a Chinese . Another was across from Iceland at start of Northfield broadway .

In the days before even chains of shops were around, I think they might have been called Video Libraries. Quite a lot of time and effort went in to trying to rent a "video nasty" when you were underage back in the 80s.

In the days before even chains of shops were around, I think they might have been called Video Libraries. Quite a lot of time and effort went in to trying to rent a "video nasty" when you were underage back in the 80s.

We used to have a guy who would come round Danderhall every Friday renting them out from the back of his van.

We used to have a guy who would come round Danderhall every Friday renting them out from the back of his van.

Aye Blockbuster was shite. With the dozens of copies of chart films, sweeties and Ben and Jerry's ice cream. Just how 1990s/early00s was Blockbuster?

The local shop with obscure straight to video films and waiting four weeks to rent a copy of ET was far superior.

Clermiston Video was the one for all the betamax nasties, evil dead, I spit on your grave, mad foxes, driller killer etc. I seem to remember the joining process being quite rigorous for my old man. And yes it was a video library! :D

Fitzroy Pointon

The ice cream van that came up my street when we were young rented them. He had all the latest releases but had to stop cos the schemers kept bumping them.

A lassie from my school (who I didn't fancy one bit) wanted to call me at home, so I panicked and gave her the number for Azad Video store on Dalry Road.

A lassie from my school (who I didn't fancy one bit) wanted to call me at home, so I panicked and gave her the number for Azad Video store on Dalry Road.

Harsh, now she's reduced to online dating and cooking steak pies for total strangers :sob:

• 10 months later...
EdinburghMum

I've just seen this post...the video shop (at the corner of Willowbrae Road and Abercorn Road) initially opened in late 1986 and was called Target Video.  Target had around 9 stores in and around Edinburgh.  Target was then sold to Ritz Video and was renamed.  It was finally bought over by Blockbuster and renamed again.  It finally closed when the Blockbuster chain closed all their stores.  

The shop is now an undertaker and displays coffins in the window 

Source - I worked there! 

Cruel.

Harsh, now she's reduced to online dating and cooking steak pies for total strangers :sob:

:gok:

luckyBatistuta

That was our local video shop when I was wee. Used to love going down there and choosing one. Nice memory, that [emoji846]

Yup, there was something special about standing in the store choosing which film you were going to take home.

My mum and dad bought a top loading Betamax video as soon as the video recorders were launched. The first shop I can remember renting them, was at the bottom of Morningside Road, just up from the newspaper shop beside the Morningside clock. Can anyone remember the name of this shop?

Another one we used to use, was on the corner of Slateford Road and Primrose Terrace. Can anyone remember the name of that shop?

Later on, after these these two had went out of business, we started using Azad at Bruntsfield Place.

Yup, there was something special about standing in the store choosing which film you were going to take home.

My mum and dad bought a top loading Betamax video as soon as the video recorders were launched. The first shop I can remember renting them, was at the bottom of Morningside Road, just up from the newspaper shop beside the Morningside clock. Can anyone remember the name of this shop?

Another one we used to use, was on the corner of Slateford Road and Primrose Terrace. Can anyone remember the name of that shop?

Later on, after these these two had went out of business, we started using Azad at Bruntsfield Place.

Was the shop the one at the bottom of Comiston Road or actually on Morningside Road near where Greggs is now. Just down from the bank on the corner of Belhaven Terrace?

luckyBatistuta

Was the shop the one at the bottom of Comiston Road or actually on Morningside Road near where Greggs is now. Just down from the bank on the corner of Belhaven Terrace?

If I remember right, it was between the bank and where Greggs is now. It was the first ever video shop I remember seeing anywhere.

If I remember right, it was between the bank and where Greggs is now. It was the first ever video shop I remember seeing anywhere.

Wisnae Hollywood nites was it?

Mrs Puppychest came up with that one.

luckyBatistuta

Wisnae Hollywood nites was it?

Mrs Puppychest came up with that one.

Think that's it, definitely sounds familiar. Well done PC :wink:

Think that's it, definitely sounds familiar. Well done PC :wink:

PC blushing furiously.

Archived