Deterring cats from shitting on my lawn.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

Stupid Sexy Flanders

Does anyone have any recommendations for stopping other folks' pets using my garden as a toilet? Had a quick look on Amazon and it seems you can go with either granule things that you spread on the lawn, or an alarm style thing that scares them off (but is inaudible to humans).

Anyone used any products in the past that have proved successful? It is driving me mental.

Brian Badonde

My neighbour bough the alarm thing to stop the cats shitting on their artificial turf. Worked a treat.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Stupid Sexy Flanders

My neighbour bough the alarm thing to stop the cats shitting on their artificial turf. Worked a treat.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

That's one vote for the alarm, maybe I should have made a poll! :lol:

My mum and dads neighbour has one of the alarm things and I can hear it beeping away.

Chilli powder in the soil. Cocktail sticks buried in the soil.

Lay some chicken wire around the borders for a couple of weeks. Cats won't stand on it and will stop coming back.

Nucky Thompson

My mum and dads neighbour has one of the alarm things and I can hear it beeping away.

Chilli powder in the soil. Cocktail sticks buried in the soil.

You want them to shit in the soil because they tend to bury it, or they used to. The new breed of domestic cats seem to be shitting on lawns!

You want them to shit in the soil because they tend to bury it, or they used to. The new breed of domestic cats seem to be shitting on lawns!

I don't want them shitting anywhere. If I wanted a cat shitting in my garden I'd buy a cat.

Cats are awful creatures.

I don't want them shitting anywhere. If I wanted a cat shitting in my garden I'd buy a cat.

Cats are awful creatures.

This

hate them

shoot the feckers

Are you sure it's cats?  Foxes use my lawn as a toilet and cats use the borders round he lawn.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

Are you sure it's cats? Foxes use my lawn as a toilet and cats use the borders round he lawn.

I'm pretty sure it's cats like, never seen any foxes round our way. And there's definitely a few cats running about the place.

Jambo dans les Pyrenees

Machine guns.

Your neighbours won't argue with you either.

mrmarkus1981

It'll be the male dominant cat in the area. Just do a bigger smellier shit than it. Your welcome

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

My mate put out a bowl of tuna mixed with anti-freeze. His neighbour's cat stopped bothering him very shortly afterwards.

Be wary of the spray that you can buy to deter them.

It is ****ing humming and if it gets on you or your clothes - you'll be smelling it for days.

My mate put out a bowl of tuna mixed with anti-freeze. His neighbour's cat stopped bothering him very shortly afterwards.

:gok:

Is it a myth that the smell of orange peel deters cats?

Apparently so. These are the RSPB's recommendations:

• Surround an area with a fence (chicken wire etc) that leans in the direction from which the cat will approach. The cat is unable to climb over such an angled fence.
  • Flimsy plastic roll-up fencing placed on top of a fence etc to prevent cats climbing over it.
  • Taut wire or string fitted 10-15 cm above the fence-top makes it difficult for cats to balance on the fence.
  • Place half-full plastic bottles in borders. This is an old gamekeeper's trick - the light reflection is supposed to deter.
  • Mailshot and other unwanted CDs can be threaded on twine with knots in between to keep them apart. String these across flower beds or hang from trees. The light reflections deter.
  • Spiked tree collar to prevent climbing up a tree.
  • Downward-opening cone or a biscuit tin fixed to the pole below the bird table to prevent cat climbing up it. Vaseline or other grease on a smooth pole will also help.
  • Placing clippings from thorny or spiky plants under bird feeders and under bushes will prevent cats from using these areas to stalk birds.
  • There is a new garden plant, Coleus canina, on the market. It is marketed under the names Pee-off and Scaredy-cat. This plant has a pungent odour that is said to repel cats and other mammals from the garden. It should be available from a number of garden suppliers.
  • Scent deterrents will either serve to repel (eg. Citronella) or mark a territory (eg. Silent Roar). Alternatively, try orange or lemon peel, since cats are not keen on the smell of citrus.
  • Bucket or water pistol full of water will help to chase a cat out of the garden. There is an automated option, the scarecrow, which is attached to a hosepipe, and will deliver a water jet when activated by a motion detector, but be aware that water freezing in the pipes can damage the gadget.
  • The CATWatch deterrent is endorsed by the RSPB and reduces cat visits by up to 33%. Follow the link from this page.  

http://www.rspb.org.uk/makeahomeforwildlife/advice/gardening/unwantedvisitors/cats/catdeterrents.aspx

We had something shitting in our garden about a month ago but not noticed anything in the last week or two. We've recently moved into a new build and never had any neighbours with cats at the time of it appearing so it must have been a fox as I've heard a few of them at night.

A couple have moved in near us with a cat in the last week though so I'm making sure the wee bugger knows he's not welcome in my garden. If he fancies taking a crap anywhere he can do it in one of the unfinished gardens still waiting to be landscaped. Although I can see why that would be less appealing.

Get a shotgun and shoot a couple and leave the corpses on the lawn, cats are supposed to be smart so they should get the message.

Cairneyhill Jambo

Just be grateful that the cats are probably kicking ten bells out of the mice and rats in the vicinity of your home. I'd rather pick cat shite out my garden than having my house invaded by mice/rats.

It's the same with folk that moan about their next door neighbours dog barking in their kennel when a stranger approaches their house.

Cats by nature will try and cover their shit unlike a dog that will just leave it there for folk to step on.

With any luck you're getting visited by foxes...ones with rabies.

Get a cat of your own. A male.

They don't do it on their own doorstep and won't let other cats do it either.

itsnomarooned

Lion dung from the zoo.They sell it apparently.

He doesn't want cat shit in the garden, no matter how big the cat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Doctor FinnBarr

He doesn't want cat shit in the garden, no matter how big the cat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

:tiny:

Doctor FinnBarr

Just be grateful that the cats are probably kicking ten bells out of the mice and rats in the vicinity of your home. I'd rather pick cat shite out my garden than having my house invaded by mice/rats.

It's the same with folk that moan about their next door neighbours dog barking in their kennel when a stranger approaches their house.

Don't even start me about next doors dog, or her bloody hens for that matter!

Leave plastic bottles filled with water on your lawn. Stops them using it as a toilet apparently

Stupid Sexy Flanders

Cats by nature will try and cover their shit unlike a dog that will just leave it there for folk to step on.

With any luck you're getting visited by foxes...ones with rabies.

Why would it be a good thing to be visited by rabid foxes?!

The Internet

We've got the same thing just now. Every ***** has a cat in our area but there's one person in particular who has this horrific grey demon creature that we've caught several times digging up the stones in our garden and having a shite.

Tried a few different repellents and none of them really worked, ended up spraying a water pistol at it (from a distance) the last time it was preparing itself and it hasn't been back yet. Never used to mind cats until this abomination appeared.

The Treasurer

Brick+sack+Canal.

Definitely the "deterrent" of choice, failing that  a mixture of lemon essence and eucalyptus essence mixed with water sprayed on your garden will help.

Not 100% effective but has cut down the "deposits" from 4 or 5 a day to 1 or 2 a week.

Those alarms are a waste of time. 

I still say cat owners should be subject to the same rules as dog owners and have to clean up after their vermin use other peoples property as a fecking toilet.

This.

Pee in your garden but not after alcohol.

I advocate this......not sure about the "not after alcohol" bit though.

Good one. He'll end up with cat shit in his house instead.  :D

Don't get me started on these shits

Had one who during the night would shit in my dirt next to front door, used to love coming out the door in the morn to some fresh half covered over shit.

I used everything you could think of but nothing worked so in the end I had to do away with the plants in that area and put stones down

Now I see the women over from me has all of a sudden out chicken wire around her plants so I take it the cat has moved over there to use as a toilet

Ps don't get some stuff that stinks of garlic as it doesn't work but the whole garden will stink and waste of time with the tiger dung/ lion roar as that doesn't work so save your money

Pee in your garden but not after alcohol.

This is what I do to keep foxes away from me chickens. Seems to be working.

Seymour M Hersh

A friend in San Diego used to swear by ground chili peppers sprinkled on the areas needing protection. Only downside is the amount of rain we get here may was it all away before it has an effect.

Archived