Hearts U20s

LoveNgoo

Footballfirst

It was a funny sort of game in that neither side deserved to win or lose.  Some good chances were missed but the game seemed to go through phases of nothing much happening.

United probably edged the first half on chances, although Ally Roy came closest to scoring when he hit the bar after a great run down the left.

In the second half, it was the reverse with Hearts having the edge but United came closest when Murrell hit the bar after 50 minutes.  Soon after John Daly brought on Harry Paton for Russell McLean and changed to 4-5-1

The United goal came a bit against the run of play after 73 minutes when substitute McMeekin got in behind Baur and hit an angled shot from 14 yards into the far corner of the net. The  goal prompted Hearts to switch to three at the back which allowed Hearts a bit more flexibility in the middle of the park and push Ally Roy up beside Rory Currie.

Callumn Morrison began to have more impact on the game with his direct running, although his crosses were generally over-hit.  However Hearts eventually got the equaliser that their second half performance deserved after 85 minutes.  Daniel Baur intercepted the ball near the halfway line and drove forward towards the box before playing a square pass to Andy Irving who played a nicely weighted pass to Callumn Morrison coming into the box at pace from the right and he drilled a powerful shot across the keeper and into the far corner of the net.

I said it was an odd sort of game. Hearts looked to have great options out wide with the pace of Morrison and Roy out wide but the final ball was poor or there weren't enough Hearts players getting up in support of the front men until the last 15 minutes.

Hearts first half midfield pair both lacked the pace or the willingness to get close to the strikers.  That dynamic changed when Paton came on as it allowed Irving to play in the attacking midfield role where he is more comfortable without the defensive duties he had earlier in the game.

The "nothing" phases were probably down to Hearts reverting to keeping the ball at the back.  The most common sequences of passing were Mason to Jones to Mason to Nowak, or alternatively Mason to Nowak to Mason to Jones.  I don't know what it achieves short of giving players a rest as there is no threat until you start to pass the ball forward.

It is difficult to pick a top man as there were several decent performances from Brandon, Jones, Roy (first half), Paton & Irving (second half) but I'll give it to Callumn Morrison for his goal and general attacking threat with his pace.

It was a funny sort of game in that neither side deserved to win or lose.  Some good chances were missed but the game seemed to go through phases of nothing much happening.

United probably edged the first half on chances, although Ally Roy came closest to scoring when he hit the bar after a great run down the left.

In the second half, it was the reverse with Hearts having the edge but United came closest when Murrell hit the bar after 50 minutes.  Soon after John Daly brought on Harry Paton for Russell McLean and changed to 4-5-1

The United goal came a bit against the run of play after 73 minutes when substitute McMeekin got in behind Baur and hit an angled shot from 14 yards into the far corner of the net. The  goal prompted Hearts to switch to three at the back which allowed Hearts a bit more flexibility in the middle of the park and push Ally Roy up beside Rory Currie.

Callumn Morrison began to have more impact on the game with his direct running, although his crosses were generally over-hit.  However Hearts eventually got the equaliser that their second half performance deserved after 85 minutes.  Daniel Baur intercepted the ball near the halfway line and drove forward towards the box before playing a square pass to Andy Irving who played a nicely weighted pass to Callumn Morrison coming into the box at pace from the right and he drilled a powerful shot across the keeper and into the far corner of the net.

I said it was an odd sort of game. Hearts looked to have great options out wide with the pace of Morrison and Roy out wide but the final ball was poor or there weren't enough Hearts players getting up in support of the front men until the last 15 minutes.

Hearts first half midfield pair both lacked the pace or the willingness to get close to the strikers.  That dynamic changed when Paton came on as it allowed Irving to play in the attacking midfield role where he is more comfortable without the defensive duties he had earlier in the game.

The "nothing" phases were probably down to Hearts reverting to keeping the ball at the back.  The most common sequences of passing were Mason to Jones to Mason to Nowak, or alternatively Mason to Nowak to Mason to Jones.  I don't know what it achieves short of giving players a rest as there is no threat until you start to pass the ball forward.

It is difficult to pick a top man as there were several decent performances from Brandon, Jones, Roy (first half), Paton & Irving (second half) but I'll give it to Callumn Morrison for his goal and general attacking threat with his pace.

Thanks FF.  Good summary as always.

Footballfirst

Will let you let me know how Louis appere plays FF?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Playing wide right. Fairly quiet barring one run where he cut inside and shot which brought a decent block from Mason.

Appere again didn't have much impact in the second half.  He took a knock after a fairly innocuous challenge from Paton around the hour mark but was subbed just a couple of minutes later. (on second thoughts maybe he did have an impact as it was the sub who scored United's goal)

Brick Tamland

Good summary FF

gbYfWEZm_bigger.jpgCanada Soccer ?@CanadaSoccerEN 47s47 seconds ago

21' Zanatta finishes from a nice passing combo between Brault, Borges and Tabla 1:0 #CanM20

Great stuff. Playing cf? I quite like him there.

Sometimes feel we've decided to move young cfs wide too early instead of giving them a chance to develop as a striker.

Sometimes wonder if Walker should have been developed more in that role.

The Paille Man

I've not really been keeping up with the U20s performances as much as I would have liked recently.

For those who see them regularly, which players at the moment are showing the kind of potential to suggest they'll be genuine prospects for us in the next few years?

I saw Robbie mentioned Aaron Reid at left back and Danny Baur in a recent EEN interview. Are these two our next graduates or do we have others who look promising?

Footballfirst

I've not really been keeping up with the U20s performances as much as I would have liked recently.

For those who see them regularly, which players at the moment are showing the kind of potential to suggest they'll be genuine prospects for us in the next few years?

I saw Robbie mentioned Aaron Reid at left back and Danny Baur in a recent EEN interview. Are these two our next graduates or do we have others who look promising?

Reid still has almost 4 seasons at U20, Baur almost 3 seasons to develop

...a bit disco

Zanatta starting for Canada today,

#CANM20 Starting XI: St_Clair; Brault Meilleur © Constant Chung; Fraser Uccello Tabla; Borges Ewart Zanatta

Constant Chung eh?

Sounds like a run of the mill day on Kickback.

Pretty sure Robbie referenced them when saying we needed players. Something like Baur and Reid are great prospects but not ready to be next in line so we need more players at present type thing.

Then we got Rherras and Nowak in.

The Paille Man

So are there any guys ahead of them who we'd be expecting to make a push for the first team squad in a few seasons?

I'm guessing Angus Beith is the main contender just now? What's happened to the likes of Buchanan?

Footballfirst

So are there any guys ahead of them who we'd be expecting to make a push for the first team squad in a few seasons?

I'm guessing Angus Beith is the main contender just now? What's happened to the likes of Buchanan?

Beith like Buchanan is no longer eligible to play U20 football.

Beith is back training so shouldn't be too far away.  Buchanan hasn't featured at all in the last couple of weeks. I assumed that he may have been released or gone on loan but that doesn't appear to be the case, so the last possibility is that he is injured.

Beith is back training so shouldn't be too far away. Buchanan hasn't featured at all in the last couple of weeks. I assumed that he may have been released or gone on loan but that doesn't appear to be the case, so the last possibility is that he is injured.

If Prince had gone, Beith would've been up the pecking order. I guess we'll know soon where he is in that order when he's back. Will je be on the bench? Doubtful when everyone fit.

May take an injury or suspension or two for his chance to come

disgruntledfan

Beith is back training so shouldn't be too far away.  Buchanan hasn't featured at all in the last couple of weeks. I assumed that he may have been released or gone on loan but that doesn't appear to be the case, so the last possibility is that he is injured.

Its more like frozen out I think, although he did play in a close door match against Dunfermline last week.

...a bit disco

Sounds like a case of the gush from Jam

"My biggest fear..."

Or, "Everybody Wang Chung tonight"

Footballfirst

Canada's 2nd game v Costa Rica

#CANM20 Starting XI Kreitling; Brault, Sadiki, Constant, Godinho; Shome ©, Zambazis, Doughty, Twardek, Millar; Sigue

Marcus is No 2 in the picture below

CrcCwgGWcAM4qqh.jpg

14' YELLOW Godinho 0:0 #CANM20

46' SUB Chung in for Godinho 0:0 #CANM20

Full time in San Jose, Costa Rica. 0:2 #CANM20

Dario Zanatta appears not to have played any of today's game.

Archived