John Souttar

jamboinglasgow

Most exciting young scottish centre half we have had since Alan Mclaren. We will sell few years down the line for a lot of money.

Nah he's the most exciting centre back at the club since a certain Craig Levien started his first game. He was the best I've ever seen at the club by a mile and Souttar seems to have many similar qualities.

Having watched Hearts since the early to mid 50,s Levein was our best central defender by the proverbial country mile. Only injury prevented him from having a star studded career down south.

Another factor was playing with Sandy Jardine

For me the best Hearts player I've seen

Steady on he's miles away from a top player but with the right attitude and playing time he has a chance, he's not that quick or great in the air but his positional sense is good. Hopefully we won't see him laving for pennies at the end of his deal like we will with Paterson.

So another 3 years which is great.

If he has a good season I'd be tempted to offer him a new 3 or 4 year deal next summer as I presume he is on a low wage.

Yet another fantastic signing by the club.

LarrysRightFoot

Still utterly sick at strachan for playing guys like Hanley and greer in those 4 friendlies we had before the euros. Such a sad opportunity missed.

We need to get Souttar a new extended deal as a matter of absolute top top priority.

And Souttar-Rossi is the first choice cb partnership.

Hanley playing is fair enough - I think he is good and a definite first pick just now.

Greer I really cannot get my head round. A good pro who has a decent career but he's about 35 and we are meant to be planning for the future.

Surely Souttar and Love would be better options for friendlies at the very least to get them eased into international football.

JeanLouisValois84

Hanley playing is fair enough - I think he is good and a definite first pick just now.

Greer I really cannot get my head round. A good pro who has a decent career but he's about 35 and we are meant to be planning for the future.

Surely Souttar and Love would be better options for friendlies at the very least to get them eased into international football.

In my opinion Greer and a few others should have done the right thing and retired from Scotland duty after the last campaign. Chesney will just keep playing his favourites regardless of their club situation.

Hes like a silent assasin. Nobody notices or mentions him but he just gets the job done. Big future this lad's got & i'm glad he's at Hearts.

tartofmidlothian

Hes like a silent assasin. Nobody notices or mentions him but he just gets the job done. Big future this lad's got & i'm glad he's at Hearts.

Just like Adrian Mrowiec. :whistling:

If he keeps working hard and gets a bit stronger in the air then what a talent we have on our hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's unbelievable. Guys like Souttar and Watt are a breath of fresh air to have at our club.

A_A wehatethehibs

My mistake - I did think Hanley was a lot older for some reason. Also wasn't aware he had moved to Newcastle, there is hope for him yet. If they make an offer and meet the valuation, it would be great for Scotland if Paterson joined him there.

I think he looks like a right good player. The only thing I would say is that the comparisons with Levein are hasty. Craig played from 83 onwards and was the young Scottish player of the year twice running ( I think ) the opposition's forwards he strolled it against were on another level compared to what the impressive Souttar faces today.

I think he looks like a right good player. The only thing I would say is that the comparisons with Levein are hasty. Craig played from 83 onwards and was the young Scottish player of the year twice running ( I think ) the opposition's forwards he strolled it against were on another level compared to what the impressive Souttar faces today.

Probably correct, but it's nice to get a bit carried away sometimes. Souttar is certainly a class of two above any young centre half I've seen in quite a few years.

• 3 weeks later...
August Landmesser

Stephen McManus tapping him up for Celtic via the BBC...

"Unfortunately for John just now, he's not tasting Champions League football, or European football. The one thing you know is going to happen with young centre-halves is that they're going to make mistakes. The one thing you need to do is earn the manager's trust, at international and club level, and you can only do that by limiting your mistakes and playing week in, week out.... If John Souttar keeps progressing, he'll get in the squad soon enough"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37362398

Son Of Anarchy

JS is constantly learning. He wasn't doing that at utd. He wasn't enjoying his football there and a big part of that was down to off field matters. He needed a club where he felt comfortable and luckily for us that's here.

Absolute bargain buy with great potential

to go far in the game and also make us a decent wedge.

Considering we have a rookie goalie, teenage CD and new LB our whole defense has been excellent so far - Souttar in particular.

There must be something in having Neilson and Levein there. Not many better to coach young players on the basics of proper defending.

Having watched Hearts since the early to mid 50,s Levein was our best central defender by the proverbial country mile. Only injury prevented him from having a star studded career down south.

Absolutely correct, best I have ever seen too.

Yeah, he did get Young Player of the Year  twice running. When you consider that he played for HMFC and was born on the same day as Paul McStay it makes that achievement quite remarkable

Not a bad write up from a guy I really didn't like at celtic and thought he was murder as a player. Some positive stuff going around these days about JS, but what's the reason mcmanus has came out and said this ?

Random

"He's at a very good club with good people in charge. He's just got to concentrate on playing week in, week out at Hearts and performing the best he possibly can."

McManus on Souttar.

He's an excellent young footballer and the best we've had since Levein and McLaren.

Levein was much classier than McLaren but McLaren was an outstanding defender.

His shackle job on Baggio (a superstar at the time) as a young Hearts player was outstanding.

"He's at a very good club with good people in charge. He's just got to concentrate on playing week in, week out at Hearts and performing the best he possibly can."

McManus on Souttar.

Noticed that comment and given McManus was in the Scotland set up during Leveins tenure he's obviously well respected.

"Unfortunately for John just now, he's not tasting Champions League football, or European football. The one thing you know is going to happen with young centre-halves is that they're going to make mistakes. The one thing you need to do is earn the manager's trust, at international and club level, and you can only do that by limiting your mistakes and playing week in, week out.... If John Souttar keeps progressing, he'll get in the squad soon enough"

Despite the praise his comments on needing to play European football are nonsense, the last squad v Malta I think only had Craig Gordon and James Forrest at a club involved in European Football.

I'd say that the unfortunate ones are the Celtic players who did get a taste of Champions League football on Tuesday. Proper Champions League football that is, not the qualifiers where they got beaten in the away leg by a team from Gibraltar and struggled through on aggregate against teams from the football powerhouses of Kazakhstan and Israel. John Souttar is in the perfect place to continue to develop as a footballer and, at this time, just needs to be playing matches, something most of the Celtic players in his age group aren't getting the chance to do.

Souttar is impressing me more and more each week but as far as I am sitting from China right now, that is how far he is away from being the next Craig Levein.

Hackney Hearts

Souttar is impressing me more and more each week but as far as I am sitting from China right now, that is how far he is away from being the next Craig Levein.

So - he's not a million miles off being the next Craig Levein. Sounds good!

Archived