Underrated actors/actresses

iantjambo

I had the thought of starting this thread after watching "The Green Mile" for the umpteenth time. For me Doug Hutchison is a very underrated actor, he's excellent in anything I've seen him in. His performance in the movie mentioned above was absolutely outstanding.

Always thought JT Walsh (one of those guys you know but would never know his name) was a hell on actor before he croaked. A level of gravitas you didn't see much in non starry roles. I would also add Joan Allen to that list (closest I think to Streep)  though I imagine she is probably rated quite highly by people inside the industry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._T._Walsh

Underrated is a bit subjective as, for example, I think John C Reilly's fantastic, so would say he's definitely underrated but others might think he gets the credit he deserves! Anyway, using that barometer, I'll throw in:

Paul Dano

John Hawkes

Eddie Marsan

A very underrated serious actor.

Haven't really seen him play a serious role tbf, although I'm aware comedy has never really been his trade.

But, in both Step Brothers and Talladega Nights, I thought he was funnier than Will Ferrell. Then again Ferrell I'm undecided on. Sometimes he's hilarious but often he's just a bit OTT trying to get the laughs.

Also watched him in some Indy film where he played some kind of fraudster. Wasn't a hilarious film, but Reilly was just totally natural and effortlessly amusing.

William H. Bonney

Haven't really seen him play a serious role tbf, although I'm aware comedy has never really been his trade.

But, in both Step Brothers and Talladega Nights, I thought he was funnier than Will Ferrell. Then again Ferrell I'm undecided on. Sometimes he's hilarious but often he's just a bit OTT trying to get the laughs.

Also watched him in some Indy film where he played some kind of fraudster. Wasn't a hilarious film, but Reilly was just totally natural and effortlessly amusing.

He's good in hard eight, casualties of war and magnolia.

His character in Talladega nights was probably based on days of thunder.

I always thought Jim Carrey was an underrated actor. In his non-comedic roles he produces some very good performances.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

William H Macy. The type of guy that is appreciated in the industry and by real film fans but the general public will miss.

Carl Fredrickson

William H Macy. The type of guy that is appreciated in the industry and by real film fans but the general public will miss.

Saved me posting. A solid actor who always seem to nail his role.

deesidejambo

Saved me posting. A solid actor who always seem to nail his role.

+1 I can watch Fargo over and over again.

Unknown user

Great shout actually, I'm a fan.

I'll add Chris Lilley - if you know who is you probably agree

john tuturro normally ends up in a supporting role but more often than not puts in better performances than the leads

paddy considine i love his performance in dead mans shoes

Superb in A room for Romeo Brass too.

"Oh Ladine" :laugh:

i dont know if i would count him as underrated now but tom hiddleston has played probably the only decent marvel comics villain and then look at things like his performance in was it the night manager on the bbc?

JudyJudyJudy

John Cusack

Robert Loggia

Bruce greenwood

Shirley Henderson

Cusack and LOggia have had lots of praise from serious critics. Loggia was a terrific supporting actors. 

JudyJudyJudy

surprised people are mentioning actors who have won and Oscar...surely the height of the acting profession and evidences respect ???

Melissa Leo

Chris Cooper

Frances Mcdormand 

Samuel Camazzola

Great shout actually, I'm a fan.

I'll add Chris Lilley - if you know who is you probably agree

Summer Heights High is genius. All the characters are superb but Mr G and Jonas bring laugh out loud moments.

Unknown user

Summer Heights High is genius. All the characters are superb but Mr G and Jonas bring laugh out loud moments.

High five!

My name is Mr G

Three talents, one two three.

Dude write all the music too including the themes, he's actually a genius

Samuel Camazzola

High five!

My name is Mr G

Three talents, one two three.

Dude write all the music too including the themes, he's actually a genius

My previous post should have read Jonah and not Jonas.

Mr G's game called Slap The Butcher had me spitting out my drink it was so funny.

Chris Lilley's series, We Can Be Heroes is great and includes a couple of the same characters from SHH. The woman Pat who invents the sport of rolling is class. The dingo cage! Ha ha

Unknown user

My previous post should have read Jonah and not Jonas.

Mr G's game called Slap The Butcher had me spitting out my drink it was so funny.

Chris Lilley's series, We Can Be Heroes is great and includes a couple of the same characters from SHH. The woman Pat who invents the sport of rolling is class. The dingo cage! Ha ha

I'm impressed, Heroes was hard to track down! I loved Phil Olivetti, the heroic policemen desperate for attention, and of course Nathan and Daniel who returned in Angry Boys. NATHAN!

Ja'mie was a bit hard to watch as a series but I loved the Jonah series too and Angry Boys, well it had Gran and the boys!

Really funny but human as hell too, the scene where they take Jonah out of Gumtree House is heartbreaking and superbly done.

Yeah, I'm a fan :)

luckyBatistuta

John Cusack

I've liked him in a few films, especially Grosse Pointe Blank, but please don't watch his new film with Samuel L Jacksom, called 'Cell'

It's terrible and he looks well weird as fek, think he's been getting some cosmetic work.

I'll say Claire Danes...tremendous actress.

Archived