bank machine

Stevenauskas

Stevenauskas

Trying to get money out the cash machine to go out but the bloody thing won't let me take anything out...I got paid yesterday,Raging likes:mad:

Terrible Trio
Trying to get money out the cash machine to go out but the bloody thing won't let me take anything out...I got paid yesterday,Raging likes:mad:

try getting of Kb and go back to the machine, it's working now

coppercrutch

You do know there is more than one..............:eek:

70's Throwback

Is there any point in this thread? :confused:

Rawrrrrrrr

The complete and utter idiocy of some people

1) the atm was faulty - try another one

2) your card may be faulty - try another one to find out and if case call bank for replacement

3) get a balance to make sure you have cash

4) call bank to find out what is wrong

But oh no come home and post on kb, they will know whats wrong with my account.....:confused:

coppercrutch

2) your card may be faulty - try another one to find out and if case call bank for replacement

But oh no come home and post on kb, they will know whats wrong with my account.....:confused:

Harsh, very harsh.

But not entirely untrue.........;)

Benny Factor

Prancer, some people just should NOT have bank accounts. :)

Guest S.U.S.S.

True, but still funny for us, not as funny as those who post about their girlfriend falling out with them or some other personal problem that really should never be posted on a football forum.

Maybe someone may have the solution to Steven's problem. Maybe he's lookin for advice.

Why must you ALWAYS rubbish a poster when they are lookin for guidance? What a pain in the arse you really are.

Rawrrrrrrr
Maybe someone may have the solution to Steven's problem. Maybe he's lookin for advice.

Why must you ALWAYS rubbish a poster when they are lookin for guidance? What a pain in the arse you really are.

Well unless someone here happens to have every banks systems at home and are able to guess his bank/atm then they wont be able to offer a solution

As for advice you must have missed it in my post

Doctor FinnBarr

Always got to stick you,re oar in......yawn!

:mad:

TBH KB is awesome for advice. I've always found it is.

If you have a problem, ask, and you ALWAYS get an answer.

Rawrrrrrrr
TBH KB is awesome for advice. I've always found it is.

If you have a problem, ask, and you ALWAYS get an answer.

I left my keys in my car running by accident

What should I do ?:confused:

Open the door and take them out.

Unless your car locks automatically when you shut the door.

Hit yourself repeatedly on the head with a baseball bat.

portobellojambo1
Hit yourself repeatedly on the head with a baseball bat.

Knowing our luck the baseball bat will have a flaw in it and snap before its work is complete.

Well unless someone here happens to have every banks systems at home and are able to guess his bank/atm then they wont be able to offer a solution

As for advice you must have missed it in my post

He didn't ask for advice. Look at the OP.

Nothing wrong with venting a little when you're p'd off, the boy was not expecting JKB to solve the problem.

maybe he was looking for a loan until he got a machine that was working....

Miller Jambo 60

Sorry prancer you should have got in to your car and helped the guy out.:P

Miller Jambo 60
Always got to stick you,re oar in......yawn!

:mad:

Is Prancer GOD if not he is the best thing to the big man.

MA HA GORGIE RULE FTH Fancy a pint guys:107years::107years::107years:

Stevenauskas

Just got a mini statement out and theres random withdrawls of ?10,?50,?10,?50 and ?50???going to have to go into the bank to see how?it says the money was taken out yesterday but the only time i took money out was friday!!!!!

Terrible Trio
Just got a mini statement out and theres random withdrawls of ?10,?50,?10,?50 and ?50???going to have to go into the bank to see how?it says the money was taken out yesterday but the only time i took money out was friday!!!!!

right, you were p1shed, you've tanned the wages and you need cash

You create a thread on JKB saying bank wouldn't dispense money, you tell the bank someone emptied your account and show them the thread on JKB that you couldn't get money out as proof it wasn't you

They give you the money back and your ?170 in front

Nice one

davemclaren
right, you were p1shed, you've tanned the wages and you need cash

You create a thread on JKB saying bank wouldn't dispense money, you tell the bank someone emptied your account and show them the thread on JKB that you couldn't get money out as proof it wasn't you

They give you the money back and your ?170 in front

Nice one

You cynic. :P

Rawrrrrrrr

Are the withdrawals local?

The reason I ask is if your card was cloned they would likely be taking ?300/350 per day as allowed as opposed to small amounts

The only exception to this would be if your with one of the banks who have barred mag strip readings below ?50 due to cloning - which the last I knew was only hbos.

Share the facts before you call the bank, these are one of the situations have to be careful with what you say to them otherwise it could be a hassle getting your money back

hughesie27

The reason I ask is if your card was cloned they would likely be taking ?300/350 per day as allowed as opposed to small amounts

The only exception to this would be if your with one of the banks who have barred mag strip readings below ?50 due to cloning - which the last I knew was only hbos.

Share the facts before you call the bank, these are one of the situations have to be careful with what you say to them otherwise it could be a hassle getting your money back

Some good advice that he wouldn't have recieved had he not made this thread.

You just complained about him coming onto KB for advice, now telling him to share the facts. Make up your mind!:confused::P

FWIW I think these people do a few small withdrawals/purchases to test the waters first. ie does the person notice.

davemclaren
You just complained about him coming onto KB for advice, now telling him to share the facts. Make up your mind!:confused::P

FWIW I think these people do a few small withdrawals/purchases to test the waters first. ie does the person notice.

'These people' eh? You seem to know a lot about it. :whistling:

'These people' eh? You seem to know a lot about it. :whistling:

I just came into about ?170, so I need to watch out for it.

My lucky day eh.

;)

Rawrrrrrrr

To be fair he never mentioned anything about the missing money and he should have checked before posting on kb.

As for the small withdrawals doesnt really happen for Counterfeit cards.

If someone has counterfeited his card which is the most likely explaination here, they know the person or bank will notice pretty quickly so take as much as they can asap -i.e 350 at 1159 pm and 350 at 1201am

The other option is someone is taking his card and putting it back again, which they would possibly try to take smaller amounts to avoid detection.

The only other option is that if his card was about to expire and a new one had been sent out with a new pin and intercepted which is very unlikely.

From what the OP is saying I would tend to think his card has been counterfeited unless the withdrawals are very local, but then again if it was counterfeited ?170 is a small amount for them to take.

Either way the banks equipment can tell the difference between counterfeit cards and the proper card anyway so if its a counterfeit he should get his cash back no problem

If it was his card being used he may be in for a bit of a fight though

Guest S.U.S.S.
To be fair he never mentioned anything about the missing money and he should have checked before posting on kb.

As for the small withdrawals doesnt really happen for Counterfeit cards.

If someone has counterfeited his card which is the most likely explaination here, they know the person or bank will notice pretty quickly so take as much as they can asap -i.e 350 at 1159 pm and 350 at 1201am

The other option is someone is taking his card and putting it back again, which they would possibly try to take smaller amounts to avoid detection.

The only other option is that if his card was about to expire and a new one had been sent out with a new pin and intercepted which is very unlikely.

From what the OP is saying I would tend to think his card has been counterfeited unless the withdrawals are very local, but then again if it was counterfeited ?170 is a small amount for them to take.

Either way the banks equipment can tell the difference between counterfeit cards and the proper card anyway so if its a counterfeit he should get his cash back no problem

If it was his card being used he may be in for a bit of a fight though

Most machines have cameras so they will be able to check who withdrew the cash.

Rawrrrrrrr
Most machines have cameras so they will be able to check who withdrew the cash.

Thats actually a bit of a myth, very few have active recording equipment, if they do then getting a copper to actually get the footage is extrememly difficult - as they often wont recognise the customer as the victim and the banks are not really that bothered in most cases- furthermore even if your lucky enough to get someone to bother to check by the time they do its very likely the footage will be gone

I worked in a credit card fraud environment for five years - although dont any longer - and basically no-one really cares that matters about catching those who do it and because of this its a low risk moneyspinner for neds and fraudsters

Guest S.U.S.S.
Thats actually a bit of a myth, very few have active recording equipment, if they do then getting a copper to actually get the footage is extrememly difficult - as they often wont recognise the customer as the victim and the banks are not really that bothered in most cases- furthermore even if your lucky enough to get someone to bother to check by the time they do its very likely the footage will be gone

I worked in a credit card fraud environment for five years - although dont any longer - and basically no-one really cares that matters about catching those who do it and because of this its a low risk moneyspinner for neds and fraudsters

Oh well, bang goes that idea.;)

Cheers for that tho, most dissapointed in the companies then, very cheap technology and while far from conclusive could help their customers in cases like this.

coppercrutch

Am I missing something here?

Surely if the above was true no money could have been taken with a dodgy card in the first place...:wacko:

Rawrrrrrrr
Am I missing something here?

Surely if the above was true no money could have been taken with a dodgy card in the first place...:wacko:

Technically your correct, all banks could just programme their systems to automatically decline magnetic strip read transactions, the problem is occasionally there can be genuine reasons for mag stripe transactions - firstly not all banks have upgraded their ATMS to be chip and pin and therefore still read the mag stripe, also a lot of the most popular tourist destinations (U.S, NZ) dont have chip and pin (or chip and pin ATM's)

Therefore the banks make a decision based on customer convenience/anti fraud

For example Hbos wouldnt allow there cards to be used for more than ?50 at a mag stripe ATM - they did try cancelling all but got a lot of complaints.

Most banks also extremely minimise the level of foreign atm withdrawals as to get round the fact they couldnt get much out in the UK they just shipped them abroad to be used

the problem is the banks could block every suspected fraud pattern etc but it would just result in massive customer complaints and compensation pay outs.

When I did it around 50% of my calls where customers moaning that our anti fraud systems stopped genuine transactions

You also have cases where cards become damaged or the merchant has crap equipment

At the moment - and it will change - a chip cannot be counterfeited, only the back up mag stripe - so they could eliminate all counterfeit fraud, it would just mean customers would be extremely limited in where they could use their cards, especially abroad, and automated machines at petrol stations, bus stations etc would be useless

coppercrutch
Technically your correct, all banks could just programme their systems to automatically decline magnetic strip read transactions, the problem is occasionally there can be genuine reasons for mag stripe transactions - firstly not all banks have upgraded their ATMS to be chip and pin and therefore still read the mag stripe, also a lot of the most popular tourist destinations (U.S, NZ) dont have chip and pin (or chip and pin ATM's)

Therefore the banks make a decision based on customer convenience/anti fraud

For example Hbos wouldnt allow there cards to be used for more than ?50 at a mag stripe ATM - they did try cancelling all but got a lot of complaints.

Most banks also extremely minimise the level of foreign atm withdrawals as to get round the fact they couldnt get much out in the UK they just shipped them abroad to be used

the problem is the banks could block every suspected fraud pattern etc but it would just result in massive customer complaints and compensation pay outs.

When I did it around 50% of my calls where customers moaning that our anti fraud systems stopped genuine transactions

You also have cases where cards become damaged or the merchant has crap equipment

At the moment - and it will change - a chip cannot be counterfeited, only the back up mag stripe - so they could eliminate all counterfeit fraud, it would just mean customers would be extremely limited in where they could use their cards, especially abroad, and automated machines at petrol stations, bus stations etc would be useless

Cheers. Makes sense about the stopping of genuine transactions. Be inter sting with contactless cards coming soon. Already been a trial in London. Up to ?10 transactions with just a swipe. :eek:

PS. NZ was one of the first countries in the World to roll out Chip and Pin IIRC....

Walter Payton

I actually work as an ATM systems analyst for one of the major banks. Prancer, what you say was true but no banks now accept transactions using just the magstripe alone. As far as the cameras comments go, people actually complained about the intrusion of their privacy (the cameras couldn't see their pin numbers or anything like that) so the obvious security benefits have been lost out on.

The best advice I can give is to notify your own bank asap- there's a good chance they'll reimburse you quickly, and even if they don't their dutybound to report the complaint to LINK (the really big fish when it comes to ATMs). They can investigate and discover what happened and will direct the bank whether there was a skimming device on the ATM (there's ways you can tell retrospectively by gathering information from other banks).

Advice for the OP.

I deal with these incidents almost every day, and i can assure you that we'd track down the exact ATM these were withdrawn at, and at which time etc. If it was determined that it wasn't you then it would be passed straight on to Group Security and Fraud and investigated from then onwards. The footage and details of the ATM transactions would be investigated and it would be a few weeks before you actually seen the refund of cash, if at all. You are not guaranteed all the money back, as the bank could deem it as negilgence on your part etc.

Rawrrrrrrr
Advice for the OP.

I deal with these incidents almost every day, and i can assure you that we'd track down the exact ATM these were withdrawn at, and at which time etc. If it was determined that it wasn't you then it would be passed straight on to Group Security and Fraud and investigated from then onwards. The footage and details of the ATM transactions would be investigated and it would be a few weeks before you actually seen the refund of cash, if at all. You are not guaranteed all the money back, as the bank could deem it as negilgence on your part etc.

Group security and fraud are unlikely to do any investigation which doesnt involve a 5 minute look at there computer screens, of course the banks wont admit it but they actually dont bother investigating most fraud

They will make a decision based on there systems and intuition/knowledge as to whether the customer is involved/neglient, and refund/base liability on that information

Most people in group security and fraud will be minimum wage advisers who will simply work off a script/decision matrix

Yes occasionally if its serious enough it may go further but for the OP's circumstance its not likely

The bank will look to tell if it is his card or a counterfeit, if its the latter they will refund, if its the former they are unlikely too unless there is an explaination which doesnt suggest neglience on the customers part

Archived