Birkirkara v FC Krasnodar

LarrysRightFoot

KineticBeat

I could accept losing to them if we had a go.  I can't accept losing to a Maltese pub team.

If we had been beaten by Krasnodar then I think most would have accepted it. What we are not willing to accept is getting beat at home from an unseeded club from Malta who are worse than some Scottish League 1 sides.

Its also cost us a couple of hundered grand by not getting into the 3rd round qualifying.

I agree losing to them was embarrassing.

My point is I don't understand why their expected loss to Krasnodar is making people angry about it all over again. It doesn't bring new evidence to how bad that defeat was because we all knew it was a bad one already. 

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Krasnodar would probably have spanked us 3-0 at Tynie so don't know where the uproar is coming from.

God forbid that we should ever progress to a tie in a knock-out competition against a team that is stronger than us on paper. We might lose.

I'm amazed the club didn't petition UEFA for an emergency withdrawal from the Europa League when we were paired with Liverpool a few years ago.

Francis Albert

I don't think the Krasnodar result changes anything about views of the Birkirkara result or performance.

I am disappointed by the defeatist "Krasnodar would have thrashed us anyway" line. We've beaten and have often been competitive against teams better than Krasnodar, and with weaker teams than we have (on paper at least!) now.

We_are_the_Hearts

I don't think the Krasnodar result changes anything about views of the Birkirkara result or performance.

I am disappointed by the defeatist "Krasnodar would have thrashed us anyway" line. We've beaten and have often been competitive against teams better than Krasnodar, and with weaker teams than we have (on paper at least!) now.

Name one.

KineticBeat

God forbid that we should ever progress to a tie in a knock-out competition against a team that is stronger than us on paper. We might lose.

I'm amazed the club didn't petition UEFA for an emergency withdrawal from the Europa League when we were paired with Liverpool a few years ago.

Think you've misinterpreted my point. 

My point was I don't see why people are getting upset over the Krasnodar win last night and using it as some form of evidence that our loss against the Maltese was a bad one as we all knew that already.

I would have preferred we had gotten through to play them. Nothing in my post really indicated otherwise.

We_are_the_Hearts

Liverpool.

Debatable if that Liverpool are better than Krasnodar but we did compete really well that tie. 

Think you've misinterpreted my point.

My point was I don't see why people are getting upset over the Krasnodar win last night and using it as some form of evidence that our loss against the Maltese was a bad one as we all knew that already.

I would have preferred we had gotten through to play them. Nothing in my post really indicated otherwise.

There have been posts suggesting we would have been thrashed anyway so it's really just as well Birkirkara put us out of our misery before we had to face the big, bad Russians. We're nice and free to focus on league preparation now, etc. Maybe I just took your post as being another one of them. Apologies if it wasn't.

The "just as well" tendency is indicative of the mile-wide craven streak that currently characterises the footballing side of things at Tynecastle, and it's a shame to see some fans buying into it.

I agree losing to them was embarrassing.

My point is I don't understand why their expected loss to Krasnodar is making people angry about it all over again. It doesn't bring new evidence to how bad that defeat was because we all knew it was a bad one already. 

I think we are angry over how unprofessional we are and our lack of preparation for the start of the campaign.  What is the point going through a whole season trying to qualify for Europe and then make no effort whatsoever in trying to do something in it?  Losing to this standard of opposition is simply unacceptable and the excuses from the management team are a joke.

If we had been beaten by Krasnodar then I think most would have accepted it. What we are not willing to accept is getting beat at home from an unseeded club from Malta who are worse than some Scottish League 1 sides.

Its also cost us a couple of hundered grand by not getting into the 3rd round qualifying.

Sorry to spoil your seethe........it cost us ?10000 in prize money.

The fact that so many of our support are willing to accept mediocrity these days is utterly embarrassing.

'Aww well, we just shrug it off and move on, there's always next year' - doesn't matter that we fought all year to get in to Europe just to throw it away.

'Awww well, doesn't matter if we lose to celtic and Aberdeen cos we might beat Caley or Partick - dats well gid yaaaaaaay'

Feck that.

We_are_the_Hearts

The fact that so many of our support are willing to accept mediocrity these days is utterly embarrassing.

'Aww well, we just shrug it off and move on, there's always next year' - doesn't matter that we fought all year to get in to Europe just to throw it away.

'Awww well, doesn't matter if we lose to celtic and Aberdeen cos we might beat Caley or Partick - dats well gid yaaaaaaay'

Feck that.

What do you want fans to do? Slash their wrists, boo the team and hope we get beat so we can get rid of Robbie? It's over, we can't change it. 

The Old Tolbooth

But but but.......... what about the scorching temperatures?!?! And what about Birkirkara's anti football tactics which made it impossible for us to get anything from them?!?!

The Russians went there and won at a canter. Much the same as we should have.

Surely theres not STILL folk with their head in the sand after this tie?!?

Sadly, there are mate.

I would never do such a thing. All of my posts on here are deadly serious.

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt until now, the fact you were actually serious is a worry! [emoji15]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We_are_the_Hearts

The management, fans and players all know it was unacceptable. Somep people are saying it was a "pub" team which is ignorant and stupid. It was however a team we should have beat. It's gone now. As fans we made our disappointment clear. We are about to start a new League campaign so for me it's time to get behind the team in the hope we get a response. If not then no one can have complaints about losing their job

The management, fans and players all know it was unacceptable.

That's basically the point i'm making - I simply don't believe that they DO know its unacceptable. No lessons have been learnt whatsoever.

For as long as folk accept this and shrug it off and give it this cringey 'oh well theres always next week, yaay go hearts' pish - it will continue to be acceptable.

If they cannot understand for themselves that performances like this, and indeed Hibs and about every single match after that point, aren't good enough then they will need reminded. They should be facing the wrath of the fans, not a bunch of soft folk who say 'oh well, we know you tried your best, I hope it wasn't to tiring for you playing in that heat - WE LOVE YOU AAF!!!!

Like I say, feck that. Said it ages ago - our support is getting softer and softer with every week that passes by and its almost vomit inducing.

siegementality

We'll not have to worry about it if we keep getting knocked out by teams that are weaker than us, on paper or otherwise.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

People comparing us to Krasnodar shows new levels of delusion even by JKB standards.

We have been playing in the Scottish championship since we played Liverpool so can't see why that is a comparison and even if it was the brilliant manager in that tie got horsed months later by his grateful and adoring support. Enjoyed reading this pish :rofl:

The Treasurer

We are harping on because we care. If you want to accept shocking results like that then that's fine. Although it's defeatist attitudes like yours which will ensure we are always happy to settle for 2nd best.

There is a difference between accepting shocking results and accepting that from time to time shocking results will happen.

Since when did shrugging off getting beat by Hibs and getting beat by crap teams from Malta become the norm in the Hearts support?!

We_are_the_Hearts

Since when did shrugging off getting beat by Hibs and getting beat by crap teams from Malta become the norm in the Hearts support?!

The Hibs defeat was 5 months ago

Debatable if that Liverpool are better than Krasnodar but we did compete really well that tie. 

That Liverpool were pretty ****ing decent to be fair.

Here's a quick comparison of line-ups:

Reina, Carragher, Kelly, Skrtel, Gerrard, Henderson (Borini - 76'), Downing, Allen, Shelvey, Suarez, Morgan (Sterling - 62') versus MacDonald, Grainger, McGowan, Barr, Webster, Zaliukas, Paterson, Templeton, Taouil, Sutton (Driver - 66'), Novikovas (Carrick - 75')

The fact that we basically went out to an own goal over 2 legs is pretty stunning with that team.

We_are_the_Hearts

That Liverpool were pretty ******* decent to be fair.

Here's a quick comparison of line-ups:

Reina, Carragher, Kelly, Skrtel, Gerrard, Henderson (Borini - 76'), Downing, Allen, Shelvey, Suarez, Morgan (Sterling - 62') versus MacDonald, Grainger, McGowan, Barr, Webster, Zaliukas, Paterson, Templeton, Taouil, Sutton (Driver - 66'), Novikovas (Carrick - 75')

The fact that we basically went out to an own goal over 2 legs is pretty stunning with that team.

7th in the League, out both Cups in the 4th round and out Europe at the Round of 32 would tell a different story. They were in transition. Krasnodar are a well backed team on the up who topped their Europa qualifying group last year at the expense of Borussia Dortmund

And some on here shrugged it off the day after or in Robbies case, half an hour after the match.

We_are_the_Hearts

And some on here shrugged it off the day after or in Robbies case, half an hour after the match.

That is strange. I was raging. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

7th in the League, out both Cups in the 4th round and out Europe at the Round of 32 would tell a different story. They were in transition. Krasnodar are a well backed team on the up who topped their Europa qualifying group last year at the expense of Borussia Dortmund

Don't let the facts get in the way of the agenda

Yet we've been pretty honking ever since.

Just keep shrugging it off though, theres always next week....... right?

We_are_the_Hearts

Yet we've been pretty honking ever since.

Just keep shrugging it off though, theres always next week....... right?

Not going to deny our season tailed off with a damp squib and a lot of games were pish. 3rd was a given but I'm in the camp that the players should be on it every week. When Juanma turned up we were decent, when he didn't the hole Sow left was huge as no one to drag defenders about and make runs. The jury is out and the players and management know it. If Johnsen and Watt can hit the ground running and the centre mids get the finger out then you never know. We live in hope, it's what footy fans do..........

The jury is out and the players and management know it.

What evidence is there of this? I'm not seeing it myself.

We_are_the_Hearts

What evidence is there of this? I'm not seeing it myself.

The players have been booed off the pitch the last 2 home games. They are not stupid............

The players have been booed off the pitch the last 2 home games. They are not stupid............

I'd suggest perhaps the jury is out on the bit in bold aye.

The jury has been out since the tail end of 2015. By February, it was crystal clear that many folks minds had been made up.

If 14 league games can pass by without them realising they need to step things up and this is them only just realising now - i'd suggest perhaps they are more stupid than you give them credit for.

We_are_the_Hearts

I'd suggest perhaps the jury is out on the bit in bold aye.

The jury has been out since the tail end of 2015. By February, it was crystal clear that many folks minds had been made up.

If 14 league games can pass by without them realising they need to step things up and this is them only just realising now - i'd suggest perhaps they are more stupid than you give them credit for.

I agree and blame the players more than the coach. It's probably why some of them are here, they don't have the ambition and mentality to be on it every week. DJoum and Kitchen came mid season, we lost Sow and have signed IMO 2 exciting strikers in Watt and Johnsen. I'm prepared to give them the first round of fixtures. If nothing has improved then it's time to get someone who can

I agree and blame the players more than the coach. It's probably why some of them are here, they don't have the ambition and mentality to be on it every week. DJoum and Kitchen came mid season, we lost Sow and have signed IMO 2 exciting strikers in Watt and Johnsen. I'm prepared to give them the first round of fixtures. If nothing has improved then it's time to get someone who can

The management signed those players and the quality of the signings has been questionable since we got promoted.

Don't let the facts get in the way of the agenda

Look at that Liverpool squad and look at the Krasnodar squad.. You'd get good odds for thinking that Krasnodar would go through if they met in a cup tie..

Gerrard and Suarez were at that time light years ahead of the players that Krasnodar have in their team now.. Even the likes of Carragher and Skrtel from that time would stroll into the Krasnodar team.. Actually straight player against player there are very few Krasnodar players that would make it into a combined team..

But let's not let that get in the way of bigging them up to be some kind of world superstars..

By the end of the first round of fixtures the damage may already be done.

But still, you're willing to wait till then and maybe throw another season away - that's entirely your prerogative.

Based on the limited evidence so far - no lessons have been learnt whatsoever. Our first 4 games of this season have been basically a repeat of the dross towards the end of last season.

August should probably tell you all you need to know about how this team is looking for the coming season. How we perform in those 4 matches should give enough of a pointer as to how things are going. Going in to September on less than 7 points would be enough to see me want Robbie gone if the performances are as eye bleedingly bad as they have been.

We_are_the_Hearts

By the end of the first round of fixtures the damage may already be done.

But still, you're willing to wait till then and maybe throw another season away - that's entirely your prerogative.

Based on the limited evidence so far - no lessons have been learnt whatsoever. Our first 4 games of this season have been basically a repeat of the dross towards the end of last season.

August should probably tell you all you need to know about how this team is looking for the coming season. How we perform in those 4 matches should give enough of a pointer as to how things are going. Going in to September on less than 7 points would be enough to see me want Robbie gone if the performances are as eye bleedingly bad as they have been.

I think he has earned that right, just my opinion. I also think any change at this point of pre-season would do more damage than good.  Anything under 6 points would have me concerned.

Son Of Anarchy

We got beat by Hibs a month before we won the Scottish Cup in 1998.

I'm still raging over that defeat. Didn't enjoy the cup win shortly after as I was so livid. Haven't slept a wink since and still wear my "JJ OOT" tshirt albeit it does need ironed now :)

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Look at that Liverpool squad and look at the Krasnodar squad.. You'd get good odds for thinking that Krasnodar would go through if they met in a cup tie..

Gerrard and Suarez were at that time light years ahead of the players that Krasnodar have in their team now.. Even the likes of Carragher and Skrtel from that time would stroll into the Krasnodar team.. Actually straight player against player there are very few Krasnodar players that would make it into a combined team..

But let's not let that get in the way of bigging them up to be some kind of world superstars..

That's not the comparison. It is between a Krasnodar team packed full of internationals with ample recent successful European experience and a Hearts team still in pre season trying to gel.

Not really a massive surprise Krasnodar were stronger. That said Hearts should have won the tie just not as comfortably as so many believe.

Birkirkara probably aren't very good but they were very well organised, not a common trait in pub teams

7th in the Premier League, with Suarez, Gerrard, Sterling and some other big names, versus Medhi Taouil and John Sutton, managed by John McGlynn :lol:

:thumbsup:

7th in the Premier League, with Suarez, Gerrard, Sterling and some other big names, versus Medhi Taouil and John Sutton, managed by John McGlynn :lol:

:thumbsup:

Managed by Rodgers though.. We're in with a chance.. :)

I'm half over it and half still in a seethe about the Birkirkara thing. I've no doubt we would probably have lost to Krasnodar over two legs but I still would've liked the chance to at least have a go. The extra ? would've been very nice too.

I'm not about to lose my mind with fury about it but the Birkirkara thing has been quietly tucked away in the folder of my brain reserved for the storing up of black marks.

We_are_the_Hearts

Liverpool, Bayern Munich, Athletico Madrid, Bologna, Basel...

Was at all the home games, we got wellied right in and played high tempo. Something we never had the other noght. We had a good team back then though and Scottish clubs were rated in Europe. We are currently amongst the low of the low

Francis Albert

People comparing us to Krasnodar shows new levels of delusion even by JKB standards.

We have been playing in the Scottish championship since we played Liverpool so can't see why that is a comparison and even if it was the brilliant manager in that tie got horsed months later by his grateful and adoring support. Enjoyed reading this pish :rofl:

Talking about pish, no-one said Hearts were comparable to or better than Krasnodar. I said we might have given them a game, as we did with Schalke, Bordeaux, Basel, Bayern Munich, Liverpool, Zaragossa. Or at least gone out, undisgraced, as with PSG, Hamburg, Benfica, Atletico Madrid, Spurs. (No 0-7 or 0-9 aggregate scores there).At the very least we might have had the "learning experience" which Robbie ludicrously suggested we had against Infonet and the Maltese. A number of our conquerers actually went on to win the competition.

Certainly the idea that we should be relieved or grateful not have played them is beyond my comprehension.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Talking about pish, no-one said Hearts were comparable to or better than Krasnodar. I said we might have given them a game, as we did with Schalke, Bordeaux, Basel, Bayern Munich, Liverpool, Zaragossa. Or at least gone out, undisgraced, as with PSG, Hamburg, Benfica, Atletico Madrid, Spurs. (No 0-7 or 0-9 aggregate scores there).At the very least we might have had the "learning experience" which Robbie ludicrously suggested we had against Infonet and the Maltese. A number of our conquerers actually went on to win the competition.

Certainly the idea that we should be relieved or grateful not have played them is beyond my comprehension.

Not relieved we went out but you can't compare the 60s to last week. Ludicrous.

Short memory re Spurs the Tynecastle game was the biggest doing I have ever witnessed bar the 7 0 Celtic game. Birkirkara will go down as a very bad result but people are getting wildly out of context since it is quite the fashion to kick shit out of the team that has taken us back to the top of the league

And several are most definitely comparing how Krasnodar fared against Birkirkara to how we did as if we should match what a better team than us do. Ludicrous

Krasnodar would've pumped us and probably every other SPL team, ffs too many of our fans love dwelling on the past! Move on ffs and support the team or give your season ticket to someone that will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Francis Albert

Not relieved we went out but you can't compare the 60s to last week. Ludicrous.

Short memory re Spurs the Tynecastle game was the biggest doing I have ever witnessed bar the 7 0 Celtic game. Birkirkara will go down as a very bad result but people are getting wildly out of context since it is quite the fashion to kick shit out of the team that has taken us back to the top of the league

I remember watching a Hearts team (far from the greatest) beat one of the best teams in Europe at their own ground 2-0 in the 60's.

I also witnessed far worse drubbings vs Hibs and Dundee against far less formidable opposition than our home tie vs Spurs.

And presumably we can't compare the other decades (pretty much every one since the 60's) where we competed commendably against superior opposition.

Francis Albert

Krasnodar would've pumped us and probably every other SPL team, ffs too many of our fans love dwelling on the past! Move on ffs and support the team or give your season ticket to someone that will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It just gets sillier.

Archived