Greg Stewart

Big Bruno

Jambof3tornado

As much as I would like a 300k player it would not appease me. We spent money on Reilly and Anderson we didn?t on Sow or Djoum if you get my drift

This alone proves there is no need to spend money to get the right player.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is absolutely no chance we would have a wage structure that would accommodate 8-10 million even if we were being run at full capacity and particularly not in the current climate. Aberdeen crowds are around 13k - 14k - they also charge more for both PATG and season tickets.

We need to be realistic - we are currently in the process of developing our stadium as well as the small fact that we are only a few years on from our near bankruptcy. I like Stewart but he's not worth the touted fee of 250k. The days of Romanov are over and we need to spend within our means.

I think you vastly overemphasise Aberdeen's clout in terms of crowds. Here's a c+p from 2014/15 about average crowds over the last twenty years. It had Aberdeen at just over 13k average but was penned mid season, as the writer explains. They have struggled to get above 13k average crowds for 20 years. Last season may have been around that mark, but ours would still be bigger:

...........................................................................................

What we looked at

We wanted to look at how crowds have changed, if indeed they have changed at all, over the last two decades in Scottish football.

We could have gone back a little further, but that period of 20 years covers times when the title was more competitive, when there was more TV coverage, and when Scottish football brought in higher profile players.

Naturally, it also covers some of the recent years, when there has been less TV interest, less money, and the recent absence of the likes of Rangers, Hearts and Hibernian, who have generally provided sizeable travelling supporters.

Although it wasn't the intention when we started, it also covers a particularly interesting time for some of the younger clubs in Scottish football, as we can track their rise through the divisions from their very first year in Scottish football.

One final point is not to put too much stock in the average crowds of 2014/15 just yet. We've included them for some kind of context, but it's not comparing like for like.

Aberdeen

The Aberdeen crowd is one of the more stable and predictable in the Scottish top-flight. At least in this case, pricing doesn't seem a particularly pressing issue.

While there have been variations over the last 20 years, the significant troughs have been from extended spells in the bottom half of the table. It remains to be seen if the current crowds can break the 13,000 average, something that has only happened four times in the last two decades.

http://stv.tv/sport/football/302136-how-has-your-clubs-average-attendance-changed-in-past-20-years/

FarmerTweedy

There is a clear and coherent argument for investing in transfer fees for the correct player under the correct circumstances. I fail to see why stating this means Iam slavering nonesense.

For what it's worth, any investment that does not provide

Guaranteed results is speculation, even building a new stand.

Yes, there's nothing inherently wrong with paying a transfer fee for someone, we've done it a few times already in the last couple of years and will do again if the management feel it's justified, but any such fees will quite rightly come out of the overall budget for the playing staff, so a transfer fee of, say, ?300k, would mean an equivalent reduction in money available for wages and other associated costs. Your 'speculate to accumulate' and 'taking the fans for granted' comments clearly indicate you think the club should be spending outwith the levels that the board have assessed as being suitable and affordable, given the club's income and other costs, in the hope that the players brought in bring further success on the field that in turn brings in more money.

We only have to look back to the pieman era, and all that then followed, to see why that's a terrible strategy.

John Findlay

At this moment in time Hearts cannot afford a Greg Stuart. That doesn't mean to say we won't be able to in the future. That's life at present. At least there is a present.

Once we sell Patterson and off load a couple of other players funds will be made available to dabble in the transfer market.

Think Patterson will be away sooner rather than later

Once we sell Patterson and off load a couple of other players funds will be made available to dabble in the transfer market.

Think Patterson will be away sooner rather than later

So, sell patterson, offload jaunma and oshinawa. Are we waiting on this happening before we see anymore new arrivals??

Hearing he could join Hemmings at Oxford

Given Oxford's record season ticket sales of 5000 they have money to burn

Either that or they are spending some of the cash they have received from their own sales  :tiny:

Jambof3tornado

So, sell patterson, offload jaunma and oshinawa. Are we waiting on this happening before we see anymore new arrivals??

Prudent to do so is it not?

That way we know what wages we have available.

Hackney Hearts

the likes of Rangers, Hearts and Hibernian, who have generally provided sizeable travelling supporters.

I think 'generally' is a bit harsh - although I know there are a fair number of examples. Not sure it's really relevant though?

I think 'generally' is a bit harsh - although I know there are a fair number of examples. Not sure it's really relevant though?

:lol:

To be fair we do have a few behemoths!

Sauce?

Oxford supporter pal. Thinks their manager fancied taking the pair of them.

The grim reality is we can't compete with third tier in England. The gulf continually grows wider.

The maintaining of supporter interest levels at a club like Hearts is going to be the real acid test when you consider we're in a stagnating environment with no money or media interest of any real commercial consequence, yet we'll expect to attract an average gate that would exceed a number of clubs in the English Championship

i wish jj was my dad

Yep and it's all down to the Sky money down there.

Meanwhile that Doncaster fud sells us on the cheap but now of course he is like a kid with a new toy now that the erse cheeks are back together and shafting the rest of us up the farter.

Depressingly, this.  

That's why it's imperative that we stick to a sensible business plan and grow organically rather than going bonkers like we did in 99/00 and under Romanov.

Bazzas right boot

Meanwhile that Doncaster fud sells us on the cheap but now of course he is like a kid with a new toy now that the erse cheeks are back together and shafting the rest of us up the farter.

Yip, the Scottish game is dying a death of a thousand cuts, yet no one seems to care. Really depressing.

Jambof3tornado

The longer donkeycaster remains in post the bigger the gulf will become.

Given Oxford's record season ticket sales of 5000 they have money to burn

Either that or they are spending some of the cash they have received from their own sales :tiny:

Just received 2 million in player sales

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hartley on the radio making it clear he does not handle the finances but admitting he is their best player and they would miss him greatly if he went

Sounding very down about it all and talking about being realistic re him leaving before this window closes.

alicante jambo

Just a question.Whats our average wage on our players or roughly?My mates lad signed for sheff utd couple years ago from livvi.He was seen as a decent prospect so obviously wouldve been on a decent wage for sheff utd.was playing regularly under clough.Played in the fa cup semi final and league cup semi.I know what he was making per week i think some on here dont really know what the wages are outside the premiership.

Michael_Jackson

Just a question.Whats our average wage on our players or roughly?My mates lad signed for sheff utd couple years ago from livvi.He was seen as a decent prospect so obviously wouldve been on a decent wage for sheff utd.was playing regularly under clough.Played in the fa cup semi final and league cup semi.I know what he was making per week i think some on here dont really know what the wages are outside the premiership.

What was he making? Ballpark...

'Birmingham City manager Gary Rowett confirmed Dundee attacker Greg Stewart is a player he rates.

Blues watched the 26-year-old as he scored twice in Dundee's 7-0 win over Forfar and put on what the local media described as a 'masterclass'.

Speaking about him just a few minutes after his own team drew a blank at home to Roda JC, Rowett clearly knew all about the player.

"He scored two today I believe," Rowett said. "He is a good player that we are aware of.

"But I have gone past the point now of saying whether we have made bids, not made bids or made enquiries or not.

"What I will say he is a player I have seen personally and quite like but listen - fire another 100 names at me and will probably say yes to most of them - or not depending on which names they are."

Blues have not yet submitted a formal bid and Dundee are believed to be holding out for ?1.5m for a player with only one year left on his contract.

That seems outlandish and it is understood the Scottish outfit could be brought to the table for considerably less.'

The newspaper does itself no favours with it's comments about the fee but the story is valid......given the club have offered ?1.7 million for a league 1 striker at Sheffield United then why ?1.5m is 'outlandish' I do not understand

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/birmingham-city-transfer-news-gary-11685055

Ibrahim Tall

'Birmingham City manager Gary Rowett confirmed Dundee attacker Greg Stewart is a player he rates.

Blues watched the 26-year-old as he scored twice in Dundee's 7-0 win over Forfar and put on what the local media described as a 'masterclass'.

Speaking about him just a few minutes after his own team drew a blank at home to Roda JC, Rowett clearly knew all about the player.

"He scored two today I believe," Rowett said. "He is a good player that we are aware of.

"But I have gone past the point now of saying whether we have made bids, not made bids or made enquiries or not.

"What I will say he is a player I have seen personally and quite like but listen - fire another 100 names at me and will probably say yes to most of them - or not depending on which names they are."

Blues have not yet submitted a formal bid and Dundee are believed to be holding out for ?1.5m for a player with only one year left on his contract.

That seems outlandish and it is understood the Scottish outfit could be brought to the table for considerably less.'

The newspaper does itself no favours with it's comments about the fee but the story is valid......given the club have offered ?1.7 million for a league 1 striker at Sheffield United then why ?1.5m is 'outlandish' I do not understand

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/birmingham-city-transfer-news-gary-11685055

Because Dundee are jocks and they'll take what they're given?

Because Dundee are jocks and they'll take what they're given?

Or the old classic:

"I spoke to <insert name of OF manager/coach here> and they told me that the player is worth xxxx."

wheatfield to sheffield

Why has it taken this long for anyone to notice that this thread is pure Greg S?

Steak bake please.

The Internet

Can't believe we let this guy go because of his height. 

I can't believe any footballer under 6ft has made it in the game because it sounds like every club releases all their 'small' youth players for being too small. It's incredible how many times I've seen this said about a player.

Ibrahim Tall

Can't believe we let this guy go because of his height.

Ali Crawford from Hamilton too, I'd like to think whoever made the decisions at that point based crap like that is no longer involved with the club.

We_are_the_Hearts

Ali Crawford from Hamilton too, I'd like to think whoever made the decisions at that point based crap like that is no longer involved with the club.

You will be disappointed to hear it was John Murray that let Stewart go. It did take Stewart years of playing with Syngenta and Cowdenbeath to resurrect his career. 

Ibrahim Tall

You will be disappointed to hear it was John Murray that let Stewart go. It did take Stewart years of playing with Syngenta and Cowdenbeath to resurrect his career.

That doesn't surprise me in the slightest. :(

jack D and coke

Oxford supporter pal. Thinks their manager fancied taking the pair of them.

The grim reality is we can't compete with third tier in England. The gulf continually grows wider.

The maintaining of supporter interest levels at a club like Hearts is going to be the real acid test when you consider we're in a stagnating environment with no money or media interest of any real commercial consequence, yet we'll expect to attract an average gate that would exceed a number of clubs in the English Championship

That's a good point. I'm almost at the point I think we should maybe bite the bullet and try integrate into a British league before we're completely finished off. I know there is the euro argument but let's be honest we can forget that now we're utter pony in European terms and seemingly getting worse season on season. Maybe just getting good FA cup draws would suffice in future.

Thoughts?

jack D and coke

There's a shock now. John Murray hasn't a fecking clue what a player looks like it seems.

The Old Tolbooth

That's a good point. I'm almost at the point I think we should maybe bite the bullet and try integrate into a British league before we're completely finished off. I know there is the euro argument but let's be honest we can forget that now we're utter pony in European terms and seemingly getting worse season on season. Maybe just getting good FA cup draws would suffice in future.

Thoughts?

I'd be up for that, the Scottish game is getting worse by the year and European football does absolutely nothing for me these days, it's just an excuse to get away and get in the lash as we've no chance of getting anywhere in Europe due to the seeding system, a British league would be superb, trips away down south every other week would tick my boxes and get me interested again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jack D and coke

I'd be up for that, the Scottish game is getting worse by the year and European football does absolutely nothing for me these days, it's just an excuse to get away and get in the lash as we've no chance of getting anywhere in Europe due to the seeding system, a British league would be superb, trips away down south every other week would tick my boxes and get me interested again.

Yeah I'm the same. I just can't get up for Motherwell and Ross county and Inverness anymore. I probably never could but as the quality gets worse and worse I actually worry our game will gradually die due to people just fed up watching a complete garbage standard of football.

Add Robbies tactics into the mix and I'd rather go round asda with my missus.

I mentioned it before our Euro "run"..

Then watched as we were pumped out by a Maltese team and many on here thought we shouldn't complain since they had had good results in the past..

Unless English football implodes (not going to happen) then all we will do is fall further and further away from them.. Clubs with lower crowds and less stature in the game will be able to come and take our best players comfortably..

We either try to get a combined league or just write off Scottish football.. TV money will dwindle further until the Old Firm get their own TV deals and leave us all behind.. The only way is to try and get 4-6 teams down into the English leagues.. Those teams would hoover up most of the interest but behind would be left a competitive league that anyone could win, creating it's own excitement.. and with no worry about Old Firm games they could have a 18/20 team top league if they want..

The Old Tolbooth

Yeah I'm the same. I just can't get up for Motherwell and Ross county and Inverness anymore. I probably never could but as the quality gets worse and worse I actually worry our game will gradually die due to people just fed up watching a complete garbage standard of football.

Add Robbies tactics into the mix and I'd rather go round asda with my missus.

I draw the line at shopping, but horse racing is now more appealing to me than any other sport, I'm not sure that's a good thing! [emoji15]

I mentioned it before our Euro "run"..

Then watched as we were pumped out by a Maltese team and many on here thought we shouldn't complain since they had had good results in the past..

Unless English football implodes (not going to happen) then all we will do is fall further and further away from them.. Clubs with lower crowds and less stature in the game will be able to come and take our best players comfortably..

We either try to get a combined league or just write off Scottish football.. TV money will dwindle further until the Old Firm get their own TV deals and leave us all behind.. The only way is to try and get 4-6 teams down into the English leagues.. Those teams would hoover up most of the interest but behind would be left a competitive league that anyone could win, creating it's own excitement.. and with no worry about Old Firm games they could have a 18/20 team top league if they want..

Now would be a good time to start negotiations, what with Dundee Utd and Hibs in the lower leagues, it would leave the gruesome twosome, with Hearts, and Aberdeen, to flee the sinking ship, count me in!

Hearts Machine

At this moment in time Hearts cannot afford a Greg Stuart. That doesn't mean to say we won't be able to in the future. That's life at present. At least there is a present.

Tell the TV companies to bolt.  Up the offer, or leave:  When a relegated EPL team gets ?66M just for being that, the Scottish offers start to look quite frightning.  Maddens me, now that they have "THAT" fixture back.   Still pennies offered.  Tell them to bolt.

Charlie-Brown

Integrated British League? You mean start at bottom of the pyramid or parachute into the middle at other clubs expense and expect them to vote for that? You havent really thought this through ........

• 2 weeks later...

Fee agreed with Birmingham for 500k but he's turned down the chance to go.

Tapped up by Sevco it's a certainty . will leave at end of season for nowt on FOC.

Has he actually rejected Birmingham? Just seen a report saying he's still in talks and most likely will sign by close of play today

Archived