Rooneys wedding. Disgusting.

Tazio

OK I'm going to go of on a reindeer style rant about this one.

There is a 2 page spread in the Independent today about Wayne Rooneys wedding next week. And the amount of cash being blown is ridiculous to say the least.

A few figures.

Her dress - ?85k. Not including the 6 trips to New York for fittings.

His stag do - ?250k, budgeted at ?10k per guest so nobody has to spend their own money, with such skint guests as Rio Ferdinand and Steven Gerrard.

Her hen night(s) - ?50k in the Canaries (is that possible?), ?60k in Miami, including first class flights at ?8k a pop, ?50k in Manchester.

Reception - Same abbey in Italy where Rod Stewart had his, includes ?400k for Westlife and ?400k for an "unnamed rapper".

Reception 2 - ?250k in Liverpool when they get back from the honeymoon on Richard Bransons private island.

The ceremony - Secret civil ceremony in Cheshire followed by flight to Italy where Colleens local priest will perform a ceremony. Kicking off with champagne on a private yacht (?42k per day), guests will be each be given ribbon tied box with a live rare species of butterfly inside (WTF!) that they are asked to realise as the couple are declared man and wife. Classy.

Total costs are believed to be in the region of ?5m.

Luckily OK magazine are paying them ?2.5m which the couple say is going to include a large donation to charity.

Fair enough it is their money but it is truly vulgar to say the least. Even with his huge salary he is spending about a years wages on it.

Was this what Jimmy Hill had planned when he campaigned to get rid of the maximum wage for footballers>

If they have the money and it's what makes them happy then why not.

He has the money right enough, you can see why she forgave him for his brothel trips. A marriage based on love, her love of his cash.

Hearts of Vladland

There was a funny thing on Have I got news for you last night about the caterers worrying about if the breakfast will be ready in time and then there was a clip of a sausage rolls factory.

Who the fek would want westlife and a RAPPER at a wedding?! :D I'm all for hip hop but you wont hear no N.W.A. at my wedding :D and westlife are just plain pish.

Pants Shaton

If the USA, home of selfish capitalism, can impose salary caps on sportsmen it seems incredible that in Europe we stand by and watch as footballers are offered ?300,000 a week.

It is grotesque, unsustainable and makes football increasingly unaffordable for the average person.

Westlife at your wedding? "What's the point in being rich, if you can't think what to do with it, 'cos you're so ++++in' thick"

vegas-voss
He has the money right enough, you can see why she forgave him for his brothel trips. A marriage based on love, her love of his cash.

How much of the ?250,000 stag do will be going on hookers aswell.You know what these prem footballers are like.I know what you mean about the money so the likes of Gerrard don't have to spend there own cash it's like they are having to pay for these people to be there friends.

He Who Cannot Be Named
If they have the money and it's what makes them happy then why not.

Its that kind of attitude which has caused this country to become such an expensive place.. but of course, why not.

Whenever I hear Rooney I don't think of the footballer, I think of the identity bracelet Del gave to Rodney in a classic Only Fools and Horses years back.

Perhaps if he was as good as we are led to believe I'd think of the player but he's just another overweight, overpaid, over-rated Premiership footballer who develops Tourette's when he meets referees.

The occasional moment of genius doesn't do it for me I'm afraid.

However re the wedding, as Brashy says, it's his money, obscene or not. If we had it, I'm sure most of us would do it for our wives? (Although the wife in question might not be the same one!!!)

Rawrrrrrrr

Its his money to spend as he sees fit and don't feel why he should feel guilty about it, I am sure if you had that wealth you wouldn't like others trying to dictate how fit to spend it.

As for the GF forgiving him, to be fair they have been together for years before he even made it so maybe it is a bit ignorant to call her a money grabber, there is a different between spending money he earned and going out with him purely for the money.

Its his money to spend as he sees fit and don't feel why he should feel guilty about it

Like Brooks Mileson maybe?

If I was a Man Utd fan that had just scrimped and saved to come up with the money for a season ticket I would feel a bit peeved that my ?700 had bought 3/4 of a bottle of Cristal for Rio Ferdinand.

Rawrrrrrrr

If I was a Man Utd fan that had just scrimped and saved to come up with the money for a season ticket I would feel a bit peeved that my ?700 had bought 3/4 of a bottle of Cristal for Rio Ferdinand.

No because rooney hasn't just put 50 odd people out of work and possibly bankrupted many more by his choice of spending

He Who Cannot Be Named
Its his money to spend as he sees fit and don't feel why he should feel guilty about it, I am sure if you had that wealth you wouldn't like others trying to dictate how fit to spend it.

As for the GF forgiving him, to be fair they have been together for years before he even made it so maybe it is a bit ignorant to call her a money grabber, there is a different between spending money he earned and going out with him purely for the money.

Do you not think she would have left him after the granny/various brothel incidents if it wasnt for the ????

Rawrrrrrrr
Do you not think she would have left him after the granny/various brothel incidents if it wasnt for the ????

Tbh no

There are many mugs out there who forgive people for many things others wouldnt

Whilst the wedding may be distasteful, it is their wedding and their money so why shouldn't they do what makes them happy as opposed to what the general public want

Pants Shaton
I'm now convinced that Prancer would argue about the colour of sheete.

Please start a thread to that effect in the shed - I'm convinced you're right.

Carl Weathers
Please start a thread to that effect in the shed - I'm convinced you're right.

:)

bean counter

No because rooney hasn't just put 50 odd people out of work and possibly bankrupted many more by his choice of spending

Whilst the wedding may be distasteful, it is their wedding and their money so why shouldn't they do what makes them happy as opposed to what the general public want

Is it just me or do these two Prancer statements contradict each other

Rawrrrrrrr

Do you know the meaning of the word contradict?

Its lost on me where the contradiction in those statements is

All it proves is that you can't buy class.

White trash is white trash either with or without money.

Dr Ian Malcolm

I'm sure being English and European Champions softens the blow.

If thats what makes them happy then fair play. The obssessive way in which these things are covered is half the problem. Magazines like Hello and OK sensationalise it when all it is is a bloke getting married.

Magazines like Hello and OK sensationalise it when all it is is a bloke getting married.

Maybe because the bloke accepts huge sums of cash from them?

It's their money.

They earn it fair and square

they pay their taxes

they can do what the heck they like with it IMO

I'm just jelous

Guest S.U.S.S.
I'm sure being English and European Champions softens the blow.

If thats what makes them happy then fair play. The obssessive way in which these things are covered is half the problem. Magazines like Hello and OK sensationalise it when all it is is a bloke getting married.

Exactly, they way people buy a mag just to read about them or start internet blogs and threads about them simply fuels the need for these mags etc to pay to be the one with the scoop.

bean counter

The part highlighted in bold you argue it is their money so they should be allowed to spend it as they see fit.

The first part you are arguing against Brooks Mileson spending his money as he saw fit ie on Gretna Football Club you can't have it both ways.

Also as to Brook Mileson's spending habits puting 50 people out of work had he not spent on the Club in the first place many would not have been in work.

Rawrrrrrrr
The part highlighted in bold you argue it is their money so they should be allowed to spend it as they see fit.

The first part you are arguing against Brooks Mileson spending his money as he saw fit ie on Gretna Football Club you can't have it both ways.

Also as to Brook Mileson's spending habits puting 50 people out of work had he not spent on the Club in the first place many would not have been in work.

Actually the difference is brookes mileson was spending other peoples money as well as his own and has left people financially out of pocket, furthermore he has left other people in the crap with his choices and has moral obligations - not legal

Rooney is doing neither of the above and whilst this remains, as distasteful as I or anyone else thinks it is , it is their wedding and there money

I must admit, I'm with you Prancer.

It's his money, he can spunk it wherever he want's to.

He'll be hard pressed to beat Aberdeen's Darren Young's White kilt that he wore to his wedding. :boak:

He Who Cannot Be Named

I dont think anyone is trying to condemn the vast amounts of cash being wasted, its just sad to see when there are millions homeless and hungry.

Tom Heaney
If the USA, home of selfish capitalism, can impose salary caps on sportsmen

[/i]

Aye, but its some cap and its not all sports, For instance there are baseball players earning in excess of $20 million per year, some average baseball players earning $10 million a year. Its disgusting

Brian Whittaker's Tache

It's all relative, he's spending a years wages on his wedding and stag do

I think I read somewhere the average wedding runs to about ?20k+, so thats probably about the size of you average salary.

He's hardly going to have it in the travelodge in Wythenshawe is he?

Good taste on the other hand you cant buy.....

Archived