Queen live! Was there anyone better?

The Old Tolbooth

The Old Tolbooth

Watching Queen live just now from 1986 at Wembley on TMF, absolutely superb to watch and IMO still the most entertaining band to watch live. :)

I totally agree. But the only thing that comes close is Queens of the stonage, they are totally immense live, but will never touch queen.

chester copperpot
Watching Queen live just now from 1986 at Wembley on TMF, absolutely superb to watch and IMO still the most entertaining band to watch live. :)

Pretty decent performance. Not into Queen in any way shape or form, but my mate has the Live Aid DVD and its always on when we get back to his from the pub.

In 1980 I came back from a weeks holiday at Butlins Filey. I had gone with my mate and was only 17 at the time but had, had the best holiday ever. Those northern birds are soooooo easy!!!! The day I got back (bus from Scarborough) I was absolutely knackered. Another mate phoned me up saying he had a spare ticket to go and watch Queen at the Playhouse. I was skint but he paid for everything. At the time I didn't really like Queen but I'm really glad that I can now say I've seen them live. It was really early days for them but they played killer Queen and Bohemian Rhapsody.

I repaid him by giving him my room in Paris '84 as I was helping to Gendarme's with their enquiries following an interesting incident with some French ladies of the night. (But that's a different story!!!)

In many ways they made Live Aid and it made them if that makes any sense.

The Old Tolbooth

I feel old now cos I remember watching this first time around and taping it on a VHS recorder, I had it for years!

That video was worn out quicker than Debbie does Dallas!!

davemclaren
I feel old now cos I remember watching this first time around and taping it on a VHS recorder, I had it for years!

That video was worn out quicker than Debbie does Dallas!!

Old!?! I saw Queen live at the Caley as support act for Mott the Hoople.... :wacko:

The Old Tolbooth
Old!?! I saw Queen live at the Caley as support act for Mott the Hoople.... :wacko:

Ha ha ha ha!!!

Cheers for making me feel better dad! :D

chester copperpot
Ha ha ha ha!!!

Cheers for making me feel better grandad! :D

More likely.

The Old Tolbooth
More likely.

I didn't laugh at that Dave, honest!

:rofl::rofl:

They were just awesome. I hate that word but in this case, it's the only suitable adjective really.

Y'know how you get those daft questionnaire things that have questions like 'If you could be someone else for a day, who would you be?'...I'd definitely want to be Freddie Mercury that day at Band Aid. That's what you call star quality, it must have been the most exhilarating experience ever being on that stage...or even in that audience...Brilliant.

The Old Tolbooth
They were just awesome. I hate that word but in this case, it's the only suitable adjective really.

Y'know how you get those daft questionnaire things that have questions like 'If you could be someone else for a day, who would you be?'...I'd definitely want to be Freddie Mercury that day at Band Aid. That's what you call star quality, it must have been the most exhilarating experience ever being on that stage...or even in that audience...Brilliant.

Red, it's moved on from that, it's a bash Dave thread now :D

Only kidding Dave!! ;)

Seriously though, to have an audience that size eating out of the palm of your hand like that must be an amazing feeling, I would LOVE it!

davemclaren
Red, it's moved on from that, it's a bash Dave thread now :D

Only kidding Dave!! ;)

Seriously though, to have an audience that size eating out of the palm of your hand like that must be an amazing feeling, I would LOVE it!

They were awesome live even when they supported Mott. Freddy had amazing stage presence, except when he fell of it that night. :wacko:

They were and still are ma dads fav band and he's 67,just wish i could have taken him to see them :)

Great show, a great showman at the peak of their powers at the time.

i didn't know really who queen was, i knew a few words to bohemian raphsody & i want to ride my bicycle

next thing i remember is the video for "i want to break freeeeeeeeee" and not realising roger taylor was actually a man.....

then came live aid

as a duran mad 13 year old i was desperate to see them, madonna et al....

i danced like a loon with my best mate from school, sheila, and loved the opening (rockin all over the world for the young uns)

most of the concert is a blur except for queen and u2

i remember watching u2 sing BAD and thinking what a terrific song, i love this

but NOBODY left the impression on me that queen did.

i'm no bigger a fan now than i ever was then, but i remember watching freddie mercury and thinking THAT is what i want to be able to do

there is no better performer in living memory, and before anyone quibbles that, i mean in MY living memory, that can ever surpass that performance.

there have been better performances, there have been better singer, there has been better staging....................

nothing, in my opinion, has been a more perfect gathering of performance, music, ability and pure star quality that queen with freddie at the helm.

there is not a single member of that band who was without talent, ambition and ability, but freddie brought the band to life

there have been better performances, there have been better singer, there has been better staging....................

nothing, in my opinion, has been a more perfect gathering of performance, music, ability and pure star quality that queen with freddie at the helm.

there is not a single member of that band who was without talent, ambition and ability, but freddie brought the band to life

So therefore a true frontman.

So therefore a true frontman.

absoforkinlutely!!

the best ever

absoforkinlutely!!

the best ever

You knows it! [GLC stylee]:)

Professor.Arturo

Queen are great live, I only ever saw them once though. It was at Ingleston, 1st on the bill was 'The Teardrop Explodes'....total sh***!! 2nd up was Joan Jet & the Blackhearts, got the place totally rockin!! and Queen were just superb.

As for anyone better live? 'fraid so, 'KISS'! seen them live a few times, the full make up show is something every rock fan should see :)

0,,5947879,00.jpg

Bruce Springsteen is the only performer who has the same presence.

As for Ingleston gig..are you sure Joan Jet was on the bill Ratcatcher ?

Remember Teardrop Explodes but no memory of leather-clad guitar vixen ?

Professor.Arturo
Bruce Springsteen is the only performer who has the same presence.

As for Ingleston gig..are you sure Joan Jet was on the bill Ratcatcher ?

Remember Teardrop Explodes but no memory of leather-clad guitar vixen ?

Yes she definately was there, a couple of mates I was with still reckon she was better than Queen that day.

I went to see them in the Playhouse about 1976. Think it was about 50p a ticket :eek: Bohemian Rhapsody had just been No 1. Going to look out my Live Aid 'tape'.

portobellojambo1

Saw them live at The Playhouse John, many, many, many years ago, cannot remember the date (sometime in the mid 70's), and they were superb.

Sunday 25th November 1973, Edinburgh Caley Cinema it was for me then...35 years ago this year. :wacko:

Going to make you feel real old dave i was 4 months old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:P:p

The Old Tolbooth

I also had their album "Live in Rio" and it was immense!

Linda recently bought a greatest hits compilation CD too and it's flippin magic! Great music to chill to.

Yes she definately was there, a couple of mates I was with still reckon she was better than Queen that day.

Queen must have played two nights in Edinburgh that tour - and Joan Jet appeared only once ; guess I picked the wrong night.:sad:

On the plus side, did manage to get a 5-aside game before the show against Freddie & Brian May.

The Old Tolbooth
Queen must have played two nights in Edinburgh that tour - and Joan Jet appeared only once ; guess I picked the wrong night.:sad:

On the plus side, did manage to get a 5-aside game before the show against Freddie & Brian May.

Did you score? ;)

Did you score? ;)

His girlfriend was there !

If you mean in the match - no.- I was the goalie. Had a broken leg at the time :o

Guest S.U.S.S.
Pretty decent performance. Not into Queen in any way shape or form, but my mate has the Live Aid DVD and its always on when we get back to his from the pub.

Not a patch on Scooter!;)

Buffalo Bill

I have Queen at Wembley '86 on VHS in the attic, although I no longer have a video!

Fantastic concert, with 'Tie you mother down', 'Radio Ga Ga' and 'BR' the hightlights.

Buffalo Bill

They toured America as support for Mott the Hoople and basically stole the show/tour.

i didn't know really who queen was, i knew a few words to bohemian raphsody & i want to ride my bicycle

next thing i remember is the video for "i want to break freeeeeeeeee" and not realising roger taylor was actually a man.....

then came live aid

as a duran mad 13 year old i was desperate to see them, madonna et al....

i danced like a loon with my best mate from school, sheila, and loved the opening (rockin all over the world for the young uns)

most of the concert is a blur except for queen and u2

i remember watching u2 sing BAD and thinking what a terrific song, i love this

but NOBODY left the impression on me that queen did.

i'm no bigger a fan now than i ever was then, but i remember watching freddie mercury and thinking THAT is what i want to be able to do

there is no better performer in living memory, and before anyone quibbles that, i mean in MY living memory, that can ever surpass that performance.

I watched live aid to see Adam ant and Howard jones:eek: , ihad never heard of Queen or Freddie . I saw the performance of we are the champions and have been hooked ever since. I have been a fan club member ,been to conventions and have some very collectable merchandise worth a few quid hopefully:)

John Findlay

I personally think Pink Floyd are better live than Queen.

John

I personally think Pink Floyd are better live than Queen.

John

I was watchin old Floyd footage on you tube last night , what a band!

I still prefer Queen though:)

The Old Tolbooth

Have to admit John that Pink Floyd are also amazing live, will we ever see 2 performers as good as them again?

I managed to catch the Wembley 86 concert on TMF last night. I thought that my eyes were deceiving me as TMF plays utter garbage throughout the whole day. Anyway, repect to them for playing this.

I've posted before about the Live Aid performance. It was such a phenomenal performance. They only played twenty minutes but I've never seen a band, or more precisely, a performer have a crowd in the palm of his hand the way that Freddie did that day. Anyone who loves music and has not seen it should do themselves a huge favour and type in "Queen Live Aid" on YouTube.

By the way, does anyone know who the poor lot were who had to play after them? How could you have followed that?

japanjambo

Apart from The Hearts and a certain ex Hearts player(HAHA) Queen are my passion. I saw them live twice. Once in 1979 at the Apollo in Glasgow, and once at that Ingliston gig. I swear that balcony at the Apollo nearly collapsed as everybody was *rockin'* LOL! I also saw Queen + Paul Rogers in Yokohama a couple of years ago. Freddie Mercury is without a doubt the best frontman EVER. He's irreplacable. The man was genius!

Freddie...legend!:mj_zivili:

Lynn:ph34r:

I saw them at the Playhouse in (around) 1976. They were excellent, but don't think I'd say they were the best I've seen live.

Denny Crane
By the way, does anyone know who the poor lot were who had to play after them? How could you have followed that?

Elton John says it was him. He tells a story of when Queen came off stage, he went up to Freddie and jokinglysaid: "You b*****d!"

Denny Crane

Never had the pleasure of seeing them live but have been impressed by various bits of footage that I've seen.

Best live gigs I've been to were Springsteen at Manchester 2003 and McCartney at Leipzig a year later. Both guys knocking on a bit but still showing how it should be done.

Queen awesome luve, only seen DVDs of them live but excellent.

Michael Jackson was amazing live aswell.

In one of the limited edition boxsets I have of him it gave you a free DV of him,live in Belgrade, sure its Belgrade.

Unbelieveable.

Its humiliating people say Justin Timberlake is like him.

Think MJ could be the greatest Solo act ever?

Archived