Euro's Surprise Team?

Charlie-Brown

Charlie-Brown

Who do people predict will be the this years 'Greece' of the Euro's and surprise everyone? They might not end up winning it but who will do better than expected in this tournie?

Russia

I'd agree but after Zenit winning the uefa cup I think people are more aware of what the russians could be capable of.

If they perform though they may just go all the way.

Akinfeev looks good in goals.

Anyukov from Zenit is good at pushing from the back.

Torbinskiy and Bilyaletdinov are both class and help bring creativity to their midfield.

Up front the have Arshavin, Pogrebnyak and Pavlyuchenko who are all class.

Don't see why they couldn't cause an upset.

I think Romania can get out of that group and make an impact. They seem to have a decent spirit about them and not many people remember that they beat the Dutch in Amsterdam in the qualifying...

People are also forgetting how average the French and Italians were during qualifying. I'd not be in the least bit surprised to see Romania in the semis.

Using all my skill and undoubted judgement, I fancy Poland. This has everything to do with me drawing them in the office sweep.

England.........

no doubt there will be more references about so and so who used to play for Chelsea, Liverpool are expected to sign the Polish centre half etc during this tournament as usual. Should run a sweep to see how many times this happens . I'll go for 652 times.

:confused:

I am hoping it will be the Czechs as if this happens I think it would mean that Martin Fenin will play a bit as Koller and Baros are getting on a bit and I have a few pound on him at 125/1 for top scorer.

Adi Dassler

I think if it's going to be anyone outwith Germany, France or Italy it'll be Croatia.

My mate has got a wedge on Romania.

I have no idea whybut he reckons they are good value.

Glamorgan Jambo

Just read about Euro 2008 for the first time - going through the supplement for last Sundays paper.

I was surprised that Holland are expected not to get out of the group stage so they're my dark horses to do well as I think they've had their massive bust up pre tournament this time.

Since no-one has mentioned them, how about Sweden.

Ibrahimovic and Larsson up front? Not too bad.

I think Romania might be the surprise team.. Strolled qualifying but they have almost slipped under the radar so far.

vegas-voss

My mate at the work has ?50 for Romania to win the tournament and ?30 on them to beat France in there opening game.Can't see it myself,maybe beat France but don't think they have a chance of winning.

Captain America

Switzerland, fancy them and czech qualifying from Group A, think Portugal won't do anything.

Performance

Czech Republic should go far if they keep the 6ft 7 giant on the bench.

Quality side when they play on the deck just like the hobos.....oops sorry brazil

Russia

Russia looked pish poor against us this week. Fair play they won but that realy did not reflect on the game itself. If they don't improve they will get slaughtered in Euro 2008 IMO. They do have the skills but natural cataclysms are easier to predict than the Russian national football team :)

The Czecks on the other hand looked well capable.

Anyway IMO the aformentioned Czeck Rep., Croatia and Switzerland will probably produce some surprises.

Got to be Russia or Croatia. Both have very talented squads. Only thing is that Russia are in the tougher half of the group. For some reason I have a feeling that Romania will finish third above France.

My preview on Euro 2008: http://sked21.blogspot.com/

I'd have gone for the Russians as well to be the surprise team until I heard that Arshavin is suspended for the first 2 games and Pogrebnyak is injured. Worried they might be a bit toothless now and may struggle to get out of the group.

Think the Croats might be a good shout to go quite far although for what it's worth I think it'll be a big team that wins it this time (e.g. Spain or Germany).

I've got ?2 EW on czech republick:)

We're in Seefeld in the Austrian Tirol and the Czechs are staying and training in the village . Went up to see them in case Rudi was there...........

Innsbruck today was absolutely bouncing - big screens going up everywhere and loads of fans arriving. Great atmosphere but feel really left out - may come home :sad:

shaun.lawson
Hahahaha!

So, reading between the lines then, you don't fancy them that much? :P

However did you guess that? :)

However did you guess that? :)

It was your clever subtext....;)

Glad i haven't been to the bookies yet.

Now, what about the Turks?:wacko:

shaun.lawson
It was your clever subtext....;)

Glad i haven't been to the bookies yet.

Now, what about the Turks?:wacko:

Um, you never know. If Greece could do it four years ago... I can't see it though. Terim may have led them to the World Cup semis in '02, but they had a ridiculously easy draw (only Costa Rica and China to qualify ahead of, then Japan and Senegal), and most knowledgeable pundits think he's pretty clueless to be honest. However, on the bright side, he's already got one thing right: Hakan Sukur, 83, has been left at home.

portobellojambo1

I know they are not exactly minnows but I will go for Spain to maybe achieve what they should, in theory, achieve regularly, although history rightly suggests it is a crazy option to go for team wise.

maltese jambo

Croatia for me...

ma....primo di tutto......GRANDE ITALIA!

Captain Canada

I think Poland might cause a few upsets. They have a very good manager and with Boruc in goals they could go far

Greece qualified very comfortably from a tough qualifiying group and should not be ruled out. I also think the Swiss could do well, playing on home soil and with a very solid defence.

However I would agree with those who say Russia, they have the best coach in the competition in Hiddink and a team of good quality with several players who I rate, but who I not even going to attempt to spell the names of!

The Puppeteer

Greece can go far again, don't think they'll manage to win though. Switzerland should do well. If Huntelaar can play himself off the bench then I fancy he could be this tournaments Van Basten. Otherwise it's France all the way for me.

Toxteth O'Grady
I know they are not exactly minnows but I will go for Spain to maybe achieve what they should, in theory, achieve regularly, although history rightly suggests it is a crazy option to go for team wise.

Spain would be my surprise team too. They never seem to do as well as they should in Tournaments but maybe (just maybe) this time?

Ive put ?5 on Russia and ?5 on Czech Rep i was amazed at the odds for both of the 25/1 for Russia and 16/1 for the Czechs.

• 2 weeks later...
Chip Douglas
Turkey for me

Me too, I'm not surprised in the slightest at Russia although I appreciate some others will be.

Archived