UEFA finally show that to them football is not about fans but money

jamboinglasgow

jamboinglasgow

COuld not believe this when I read it: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7438763.stm

They want to stop it being on freeview and put it on sky or setanta. They claim it infringes their rights but it is all about them trying to get more money for the tv rights.

It fills me with sadness at the state of UEFA and FIFA who in my mind are corrupt to the core.

Fans are no longer important anymore, its money that they care about more

John Findlay
COuld not believe this when I read it: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7438763.stm

They want to stop it being on freeview and put it on sky or setanta. They claim it infringes their rights but it is all about them trying to get more money for the tv rights.

It fills me with sadness at the state of UEFA and FIFA who in my mind are corrupt to the core.

Fans are no longer important anymore, its money that they care about more

Some one should point out to them that the BBC is not free as all owners of televisions have to pay a licence fee.

As Gordon Gecko said in Wall Street. Greed is good. Uefa and Fifa are taken him at his word.

John

NoseLikeMahe

Aye... It's all about money. This time it's worse though... At least when it's club football, the clubs are businesses seeking a profit. This is the "associations" looking for more sheckles so they can send their stuffed suits on more "factfinding missions" to foreign massage parl... er... I mean sporting stadia.

Think the reality is the UK can argue to retain its right for free-to-air when UK teams are involved... and if UEFA win the right to charge us pay-per-view for Turkey v Austria... no bugger will pay for it anyway and they're no better off.

Ray Winstone

Absolutely amazing that they might be able to get away with doing this.

LarrysRightFoot

That is 110% correct in this country nothing is 'free to view' as we all pay a TV licence so UEFA can shove that us thier a*ses!

Anyway i thought that government intervention in this country meant that major international events like the World Cup, Euros, Olympics etc had to be on 'council telly'?

Rick Grimes
That is 110% correct in this country nothing is 'free to view' as we all pay a TV licence so UEFA can shove that us thier a*ses!

Anyway i thought that government intervention in this country meant that major international events like the World Cup, Euros, Olympics etc had to be on 'council telly'?

that's what they're challenging. its a disgrace.

I can see both sides tbh, UEFA and FIFA aren't a 'sporting body' just a business like any other. They want cash in hand to do anything and must get massive kickbacks from Sky and the likes.

Would it affect many? Sky / Virgin in many households and I hit the pub for the big games, view the rest online.

If it helps get rid of the licence fee then I'm all for it, the Beeb is a shadow of what it used to be and doesn't deserve ?bn each year in finance when the majority of it's shows are utter pish.

bean counter

Fifa sold out when the world cup was staged in America and has gone downhill ever since UEFA quickly followed

Rudolf's Mate

Spot on! A percentage must be made available. Worst case scenario would see the goverment footing some of the cost..... I think :rolleyes:

Archived