EURO 2008 Ball

Boris

The People's Chimp

Cech is just getting his excuses in early doors. It'c ommon currency for keepers now.

"ooh that new ball is soo flighty in the air...and swerves too much..."

Sexton Hardcastle

we used the new ball in our last couple of games this season. they do havea funny feel to them. but its always the same with technology changing. the world cup in germany got the same treatment with the ball. When they start making football boots out of carbon fibre things are getting a tad crazy

Its been the same since the World cup 94, the new generation of footballs used are designed to produce more goals. It all stems from the top (Sepp Blater) and his vision for a more exciting game. Personally i don't think they should change the balls or the rules any more!

OMG these balls defy the laws of physics :eek: :

The balls are so quick, they have scarcely any wind resistance and they can change direction any second

Sounds more like a UFO to me.

Say What Again
They should use a 99p Flyaway Pro.

:)

:rofl:

I'd watch that. How good would that be?

:rofl:

I'd watch that. How good would that be?

Amazing!!

Kick it with the inside of your foot and it swerves away from you WTF??!!:confused:

What brasses me off with these new ball's is that the manufacturers make them to work better with their boot's.

Nike does it ,as does Adidas,no fair I say.

we used the new ball in our last couple of games this season. they do havea funny feel to them. but its always the same with technology changing. the world cup in germany got the same treatment with the ball. When they start making football boots out of carbon fibre things are getting a tad crazy

Reduce metatarsal injuries though surely?

Cat Stevens

Cech's only scared of the ball coz it will probably injure him, knowing his luck.

John Findlay
Petr Cech is "scared" of the new ball that will be used in Euro 2008.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/euro_2008/czech_republic/7439862.stm

Is it just me, or are the claims made in the article (...more goals will be scored from 30 yards) trotted out every year on the eve of a tournament?

We'll see, I suppose.

The last tournament I remember where goals were scored from long distance and acute angles was the World Cup in Argentina in 1978. The Van Der Kerkoff brothers knew how to hit a football.

John

The last tournament I remember where goals were scored from long distance and acute angles was the World Cup in Argentina in 1978. The Van Der Kerkoff brothers knew how to hit a football.

John

Renee & Rudi? :) One had a stooky in the final iirc.

The wonderful tango ball to blame for the shots?

I'm sure there is a cracker from a Brazilian (Rivelino?) against Italy (perhaps France).

Also Rep's against Italy in 1978 too.

My first World Cup that I can remember....

NoseLikeMahe

John

The lad Rats who played full back for USSR in the '80s had a fair blooter on him as well.

John Findlay

I'm sure there is a cracker from a Brazilian (Rivelino?) against Italy (perhaps France).

The Brazilian against Italy was their right back at the time called Naldinho(I think).

What about Cubilas's double against us for Peru and Johnny Rep's against us in the Archie Gemmell 3-2 game.

If they want goals from distance just bring back that ball.

Yes Rene had a stookie in the final. It delayed the kick-off for something like 20minutes as the Argentines moaned like buggery about him wearing it. They got over-ruled in the end. If only the Dutch had not hit the post in the last minute of normal time. They would have been world champs.

John

is it similiar to the adidas f50 ball? I used that for the first time the other day and it was honestly very strange, the slightest kick and the ball would lift off. Its suprising how different footballs can be.

Say What Again
The lad Rats who played full back for USSR in the '80s had a fair blooter on him as well.

Argentina 78 mentioned before your post, is just too early for me but I do remember the USSR blasting them in in Spain '82.

4 years later at Mexico '86 I remember the Brazilian full back Josimar, scoring 2 absolute rakers - I think one might have been against N.Ireland.

The People's Chimp

The adidas tango. The ball of balls.

A tango and a pair of adidas world cups = football heaven.

Guest S.U.S.S.
Any got any of the euro 2008 balls are they good to strike

Please dont use the word strike, ul have half the postal union out in 10 mins.;)

Please dont use the word strike, ul have half the postal union out in 10 mins.;)

Funnilly enough when he mentioned balls, you obliged by posting, er...balls! ;)

shaun.lawson

It's actually one of football's many unwritten laws. No major tournament is allowed to be officially opened until the goalkeepers complain about the new ball. Other unwritten laws include:

- Alan Shearer shall always be described as a 'consummate professional', and never ever a selfish, manipulative berk who bores the pants off the entire country in his punditry work.

- If Norwich are two goals ahead entering the last ten minutes of a game, and the opponents score, it will not be the final goal of the contest.

- Dirty, over-physical midfielders whose sole aim is to maim as many opponents as possible shall be lauded as 'honest hard working professionals' who 'like to get a foot in'.

- Spain will never ever win a major tournament, no matter how talented their squad, or how much money is put on them. The same rule applies to Internazionale in the Champions League.

- Even if Aberdeen, Motherwell or Inverness have a terrible home record, their stadia shall be described until the end of time as 'always a hard place to go'.

- If a seat is available in a ground behind a large pillar or other obstacle making the view almost non-existent, it shall always be allocated to Lawson S. of Oxford.

- The word 'deft', otherwise unemployed in the English language, shall be the only word used to describe a brilliant chip resulting in a goal.

- Irish or Scottish fans getting drunk shall be celebrated for their great support and partygoing attitudes. English fans getting drunk shall be derided as hooligans, and Sun and Daily Mail editorials penned demanding they stop shaming their nation and are sent home.

- When a British player dives, the commentators shall always declare they were 'entitled' to. If a foreign player dives, he is a cheat and disgrace to the game.

- African nations at the World Cup are always 'just happy to be here', and foul play on their part shall be excused as part of their 'enthusiasm', even if it results in opponents being turned into hamburger meat.

- All nations at major championships shall be referred to by their country's title - except Germany, who shall always be referred to darkly as 'the Germans', and 'must never be written off'.

- Hibernian FC shall never, ever win the Scottish Cup.

- Heart of Midlothian FC shall never, ever appoint a proper manager.

The Old Tolbooth
It's actually one of football's many unwritten laws. No major tournament is allowed to be officially opened until the goalkeepers complain about the new ball. Other unwritten laws include:

- Alan Shearer shall always be described as a 'consummate professional', and never ever a selfish, manipulative berk who bores the pants off the entire country in his punditry work.

- If Norwich are two goals ahead entering the last ten minutes of a game, and the opponents score, it will not be the final goal of the contest.

- Dirty, over-physical midfielders whose sole aim is to maim as many opponents as possible shall be lauded as 'honest hard working professionals' who 'like to get a foot in'.

- Spain will never ever win a major tournament, no matter how talented their squad, or how much money is put on them. The same rule applies to Internazionale in the Champions League.

- Even if Aberdeen, Motherwell or Inverness have a terrible home record, their stadia shall be described until the end of time as 'always a hard place to go'.

- If a seat is available in a ground behind a large pillar or other obstacle making the view almost non-existent, it shall always be allocated to Lawson S. of Oxford.

- The word 'deft', otherwise unemployed in the English language, shall be the only word used to describe a brilliant chip resulting in a goal.

- Irish or Scottish fans getting drunk shall be celebrated for their great support and partygoing attitudes. English fans getting drunk shall be derided as hooligans, and Sun and Daily Mail editorials penned demanding they stop shaming their nation and are sent home.

- When a British player dives, the commentators shall always declare they were 'entitled' to. If a foreign player dives, he is a cheat and disgrace to the game.

- African nations at the World Cup are always 'just happy to be here', and foul play on their part shall be excused as part of their 'enthusiasm', even if it results in opponents being turned into hamburger meat.

- All nations at major championships shall be referred to by their country's title - except Germany, who shall always be referred to darkly as 'the Germans', and 'must never be written off'.

- Hibernian FC shall never, ever win the Scottish Cup.

- Heart of Midlothian FC shall never, ever appoint a proper manager.

erm, Spain were European Champs in the 60's mate :rolleyes:

shaun.lawson
erm, Spain were European Champs in the 60's mate :rolleyes:

Franco's Spain, in a four nation final stage hosted by, er, Spain. Say no more...

The Old Tolbooth
Franco's Spain, in a four nation final stage hosted by, er, Spain. Say no more...

A wins a win mate, the hobo's celebrate being the first Scottish side to qualify, erm I mean be invited cos no one else wanted to play in the European cup too don't you know :rolleyes:

Also, England are still the only home nation to play all their world cup games at the same stadium giving them an obvious advantage. :rolleyes:

Mind you, if it were Scotland that did that, I wouldn't care less :)

shaun.lawson
A wins a win mate, the hobo's celebrate being the first Scottish side to qualify, erm I mean be invited cos no one else wanted to play in the European cup too don't you know :rolleyes:

Also, England are still the only home nation to play all their world cup games at the same stadium giving them an obvious advantage. :rolleyes:

Mind you, if it were Scotland that did that, I wouldn't care less :)

Oh, I agree with you! As far as the rest of the world's concerned, we cheated in 1966: not only in the example you mention, but the first, third and fourth goals in the final (though the Germans' equaliser shouldn't have counted either), and in FIFA President Stanley Rous overseeing a pair of quarter-finals in which a German refereed England-Argentina and sent off an Argentine, and an Englishman officiated West Germany-Uruguay and sent off two Uruguayans!

As far as they're concerned, in other words, England's win was every bit as fishy as Argentina's in '78, or indeed, Spain's in '64. And given we've never done anything before or since to suggest we have it in us to win it again, and that I often resent the millstone it represents around the team's necks, I'd have to agree with them.

The Old Tolbooth
Oh, I agree with you! As far as the rest of the world's concerned, we cheated in 1966: not only in the example you mention, but the first, third and fourth goals in the final (though the Germans' equaliser shouldn't have counted either), and in FIFA President Stanley Rous overseeing a pair of quarter-finals in which a German refereed England-Argentina and sent off an Argentine, and an Englishman officiated West Germany-Uruguay and sent off two Uruguayans!

As far as they're concerned, in other words, England's win was every bit as fishy as Argentina's in '78, or indeed, Spain's in '64. And given we've never done anything before or since to suggest we have it in us to win it again, and that I often resent the millstone it represents around the team's necks, I'd have to agree with them.

I'm guessing had England not won their group that they would have played at Old Trafford or Villa Park in the quarters Shaun? Or would the FA got away with fixing it even further in those days?

shaun.lawson
I'm guessing had England not won their group that they would have played at Old Trafford or Villa Park in the quarters Shaun? Or would the FA got away with fixing it even further in those days?

Yes - but in truth, we were never not going to win our group. Mexico were hopeless, France crap, and Uruguay only interested in grinding their way to 2nd place and qualification. The switching of the semis happened at the last minute: I can't remember why, but the authorities at Goodison Park were furious, given how many had bought tickets in the hope of seeing England there.

The Old Tolbooth
Yes - but in truth, we were never not going to win our group. Mexico were hopeless, France crap, and Uruguay only interested in grinding their way to 2nd place and qualification. The switching of the semis happened at the last minute: I can't remember why, but the authorities at Goodison Park were furious, given how many had bought tickets in the hope of seeing England there.

I actually didn't realise the semi had been switched, blimey, what a carve up :confused:

Archived