Rashford makes England debut at 18 tonight and scores in 2mins 8 seconds

CJGJ

We wouldn't play them even if we did uncover the little gems. Good enough, old enough is not in the Scottish international football vocabulary. We're a joke as far as international football goes.

If Tierney and McGinn played in the recent friendlies, you can bet your arse Rashford would be in the team if he was Scottish.

jack D and coke

Same, a truly brutal uncle :lol:

I'm no that brutal I've made him a wee jambo[emoji6]

PeterintheRain

I honestly don't think Scotland have had a genuine world class player since Souness. That's thirty years now without a real game-breaker. We made it to a number of finals in the Roxburgh/Brown era, but we did it with a team of decent players and no outstanding talent. Now most of our players are mediocre and we stopped qualifying years ago.

In that time, Wales have had two world class talents. Giggs was a bit wasted for Wales, but Bale is the major reason Wales are at the Euros and we're not.

Every year I hope a real new talent will come through. It never happens.

Strachan is the reason why we're not at the Euros and pish like wales and the two Irelands are.  Also bale is a steroid inflated nork and the sooner he's busted the better.

jamboinglasgow

lvg deserves a lot of credit for bringing through the youth this season, only time they looked decent was when the young players like him were giving a chance. Wonder if Jose will keep them in the side next season.

I agree. As much as I haven't rated him at Man U, the amount of players he has brought through to play will benefit Man U in the long term (unless Mourinho plays to type and chuck the young players back out the squad.) Rashford has been a good discovery. England seems to have a good crop of talented young strikers at the moment. 

As for the "kids dont play football" I always find it interesting to hear its adults saying that. And it seems that every adult seems to say that. So if everyone is in agreement that kids should play outside with a ball more, how come they are banned from playing with a ball, grass spaces are ripped up, parents keep their kids inside on the misguided view that its more dangerous outside (when actually its the safest time ever to be a child.) Seems people like to bump their gums about it but not do anything about it.

jamtartan74

I agree. As much as I haven't rated him at Man U, the amount of players he has brought through to play will benefit Man U in the long term (unless Mourinho plays to type and chuck the young players back out the squad.) Rashford has been a good discovery. England seems to have a good crop of talented young strikers at the moment.

As for the "kids dont play football" I always find it interesting to hear its adults saying that. And it seems that every adult seems to say that. So if everyone is in agreement that kids should play outside with a ball more, how come they are banned from playing with a ball, grass spaces are ripped up, parents keep their kids inside on the misguided view that its more dangerous outside (when actually its the safest time ever to be a child.) Seems people like to bump their gums about it but not do anything about it.

exactly bud, although I'm not going to say that alone is the reason for us not producing more talented players, number of reasons, the drinking culture in Scotland, lack of facilities, lack of coaches, lack of local council support, lack of people willing to put in the effort, the list goes on. I do think the Scottish game is improving though and doesn't get the credit that I think it deserves but hey ho it is what it is and we just need to play with what we have got. End of the day, Hearts and any other Scottish club these days are solely about Scottish football and trying to improve it. The days of the OF being dominant in Europe are gone. It's about time we focussed on getting the best out of our own. Rant over.

Big Slim Stylee

Everything you just mentioned IS my childhood.

Big game of about 18 a side down the back of the flats at Hutchie/Moat.

Games of Curbie/footy tennis in the quiet (sometimes not) road/street.

I used to meet a mate and play five and your in for hours and hours on end in a wee grassy bit near our house.....its what kids done when I was young.

A bit off topic, see when going to visit folk on Christmas Day this lat couple of years I have been disgusted.....no sign of any kids in the street playing with thir new bike, new football, new golf club or whatever....now a days you see none as all stuck in their house on their ?400 consoles with th games at ?50 a time - it sickens me.

There used to be regular big games in a park near where I lived - easy 20 a side:))  Mayhem.....

GlasgoJambo

Said that to my sister who's young lad is playing for a boys team now, he's 12 but he's absolutely pish. They train twice a week and I don't think he kicks a ball at any other time, spends the rest of his time playing GTA or COD online on the PlayStation.

I never made it either but I played football every single day of my life normally from morning to night and in all weathers.

We probably won't ever produce a real star again IMO for those reasons.

On the topic of Rashford though he certainly seems to have the little bit of magic needed to get goals. You can't teach it.

:lol:

Rudolf's Mate

Same, a truly brutal uncle :lol:

:gok: Better being an honest uncle though :thumbsup:

Who cannae? :jjyay:

My daughters got 16 on the Xbox and beat me with her playing Man C and me Hearts. Rematch with me going Sevilla and she beat me 2-1 :vrface:

Am I **** getting 17!

Gigolo-Aunt

He'll be ruined by the age of 23 by all the pressure and hype he'll get placed on him to win world cups singlehandedly.

Its probably the time that the English media (for the most) is at its most realistic about chances on the International stage.

Not sure what you are on about tbh

You actually don't see kids out playing football anymore eh, I've thought about it a few times driving past the bits we'd be playing football at for hours and hours nearly every day when i was a kid and I've never seen any kids having a big game or even a game of cuppy or someone hitting shots into his mate.

What is cuppy?

What is cuppy?

Cuppy singles or cuppy doubles, one person in goals and everyone else outfield, it would be 2 goals and through then you play a final at the end with the ones remaining.

Cuppy singles or cuppy doubles, one person in goals and everyone else outfield, it would be 2 goals and through then you play a final at the end with the ones remaining.

Cool, got it. Yeah, we used to do that also or one person in goals and doing crossing and shooting. Hit it wide and you went in goals.

You actually don't see kids out playing football anymore eh, I've thought about it a few times driving past the bits we'd be playing football at for hours and hours nearly every day when i was a kid and I've never seen any kids having a big game or even a game of cuppy or someone hitting shots into his mate.

I brought this up on the 'Nostalgia' thread in the shed recently, you don't see 20 aside games anymore or even just a couple of kids having a kick about.

Sad really :(

jambovambo

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you completely. I'm 27 and the 'best' player Scotland has probably had in my lifetime is John Collins ffs, even someone of similar age in Finland or Wales has atleast seen the likes of Jari Litmanen or Bale. Previous generations in Scotland were spoiled.

"He's Finnish"

etc

Always makes me laugh.

Cool, got it. Yeah, we used to do that also or one person in goals and doing crossing and shooting. Hit it wide and you went in goals.

That's granny that you just described. :thumbsup:

World cup singles, absolute carnage!

Ibrahim Tall

I miss playing cuppy, probably more than playing actual football as a kid. :(

Thread brings up a good point about kids these days, can remember playing football before school/breaks/until&after dinner you barely see any kids playing football these days or else the weathers perfect.

Christ in Livi we all had street teams and we organised games against each other on the other side of town at 10/11 years old even if half the time it ended up 8 v 12 etc. Parents these days freaking out when their kids leave the garden.

They actually built a brand new 5 a side pitch where I stay(free) and more often than not its empty so I'm not even sure a lack of places to play is the problem.

3 and in, world cup willy, heads n volleys..

The trouble, i believe is kids are spoilt and led to believe they are better than they are by overzealous parents.

Changing boots at 80-100 quid a pop because the colour ronaldo wears has changed? For a ten year old??!

Theyre not learning basic skills against a wall or in a mass brawl situation as in "30 a side first to 100 wins"..

Every child is the next ronaldo rooney bale etc.. or as i call it.. meal ticket for the parents. Let them be kids and develop naturally without as much pressure.

As for not being allowed away from back gardens, i drive a west lothian taxi on weekends. The amount of kids (8-15) i see in the middle of towns like livi bathgate broxburn who are pished at 3 in the morning is disgraceful. Im sure for every shiteparent there are four good ones but 1 pissed kid in a town centre is one too many

That's granny that you just described. :thumbsup:

Yeah that's right. Let in 7 goals and it was a granny. Lol.

John Findlay

Can't beat that for a start at that level and only his 19th top class game as well

Youngest ever England goalscorer

He's still nae Denis Law.

...a bit disco

My cousins laddies spent every waking moment kicking a ball about. In the garden, at the park, even at family weddings and the likes!

It certainly helped their progression no end.

Still don't think he will go to the Euros, unless one of the strikers gets injured.

i agree, the only way he will go is if sturridge is injured. My view is Hodgson should take Andy Carroll as he is a different type of forward kind of like a plan B if they are losing with 10 to go

i agree, the only way he will go is if sturridge is injured. My view is Hodgson should take Andy Carroll as he is a different type of forward kind of like a plan B if they are losing with 10 to go

A fully fit Andy Carroll should be on that plane.

He's, as you say, the best plan B you could ever hope to have. With 15 minutes to go and your 1-0 or 2-0 down and looking for someone to change things and make a difference he is that player. You know that he's going to win every header and with players like Sterling, Alli, Rooney, Kane etc around him he will drop a ball at someones feet if he doesn't plant it in the net himself.

Rashford is just another "England's newest world class young player who will definitely win the world cup" with all the over-hyping and blinkered bias that comes with that moniker.

See Theo Walcott, Michael Owen, Wayne Rooney etc as previous examples.

Archived