Tram Replacement

Stuart Lyon

Looks great, but doesn't look like it would work for lorries, buses or any other high sided vehicle.

But then, would we need those things in a city centre?

Can't imagine this going much further than the concept stage.

Stuart Lyon

Apparently the guy who came up with the idea a couple of years ago was ridiculed at the time but someone seen some merit in his suggestion hence the concept design now available.

Imagine that whizzing over the top of you? Some folk would crap it and crash. Some folk struggle to drive in lane so would block its route/cause an accident.

By some folk I mean 90% of road users.

Stuart Lyon

CeC councillors will be the first in line for a freebee junket trip to China to see the concept in more detail.

Imagine that whizzing over the top of you? Some folk would crap it and crash. Some folk struggle to drive in lane so would block its route/cause an accident.

By some folk I mean 98% of woman drivers.

FTFY

frankblack

These things need about 3 lanes in one direction to be viable.

Other than motorways, where would that work here?

These things need about 3 lanes in one direction to be viable.

Other than motorways, where would that work here?

These things?

What, a concept, aye?

Aside from the fact that they'll probably never become a real thing, they could always do something totally drastic and unexpected, like make them smaller.

frankblack

These things?

What, a concept, aye?

Aside from the fact that they'll probably never become a real thing, they could always do something totally drastic and unexpected, like make them smaller.

Smaller - as in the size of a bus?  We already have buses thanks.

They are completely impractical - end of story.

In an old city like Edinburgh with narrow streets and height restrictions due to bridges, you aren't going to get these vehicles going anywhere.

Smaller - as in the size of a bus? We already have buses thanks.

They are completely impractical - end of story.

In an old city like Edinburgh with narrow streets and height restrictions due to bridges, you aren't going to get these vehicles going anywhere.

Good thing they aren't designed with Edinburgh in mind then.

I don't think it likely, but it wouldn't surprise me if we saw some variation of them on China.

The Treasurer

Hope nobody from Edinburgh council see this ...

"Fact Finding" delegation of 80 councilors booking first class flights as we speak

AlimOzturk

Does Edinburgh have a traffic problem? Why would we need these?

frankblack

Does Edinburgh have a traffic problem? Why would we need these?

The council engineer the road congestion. Greenways being prime example of taking a road and forcing two lanes of traffic into one.

Stuart Lyon

FB -I agree that  the CeC  engineer road congestion. You mention a major example of this and despite the almost complete harmonisation of bus lane times we still see the majority of drivers not using them when they are not in operation. Giving preference to the vanity trams at traffic lights and crazy road planning such as not being able to turn right up Robertson Ave when ravelling east in Gorgie Rd.

Archived