Faith Healing

Jambo 4 Ever

Jambo 4 Ever

Has anyone here ever been to a faith healing session or experienced it first hand?

My cousin claims to have had their knee and back pain 'healed' a few weeks ago from a faith healer/prophet at their church and has asked if I want to go along next month when they are back again.

I'm very sceptical about this sort of thing but interested to hear of any other experiences out there? Or evidence to suggest it works or doesn't work

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the big man couldnae heal his son so I'd be surprised if some naebody from nae where who says they represent the big man can help you

zoltan socrates

Evidence it works or not?

Go along with a broken leg, I guarantee you won't leave walking

the big man couldnae heal his son so I'd be surprised if some naebody from nae where who says they represent the big man can help you

I dunno about not being to heal his son. He brought him back from the dead! That's some pretty fine medical treatment if you ask me.

Craigieboy

I always find it curious how selective the 'healing' is.

On the one hand you have random, spurious healings and on the other you have an entire continent of children dying an excruciating death with AIDS.

Sounds legit.

:cornette:

Jambo 4 Ever

I always find it curious how selective the 'healing' is.

On the one hand you have random, spurious healings and on the other you have an entire continent of children dying an excruciating death with AIDS.

Sounds legit.

:cornette:

Good point... but I said this to someone before and they came back saying that it was the devil doing that and if everyone believed in God, etc, then they would also be healed...

makes not much sense to me either to be honest

http://www.mswm.org/miracles.buddymckay.htm

how do you explain this though?

:rofl:

Aye right, the big man upstairs managed to just magically get rid of a steel rod and steel screws, healing a broken leg.

Here's how it happened:

It didn't, and the guy is a fantasist who believes his own lies.

Riddley Walker

How do you know though?

Because there isn't a shred of evidence to suggest that you can heal something through supernatural powers.

"About a week after my accident, Pastor Max Solbrekken came to our church - Sandy Lake Revival Centre - for a Gospel Crusade. At that time Harry Rae was our pastor and I was functioning as an evangelist. I did not attend the first service because of the tremendous pain I was experiencing from my leg."

Scam artist backing up a fellow scam artist with a false testimony.

Riddley Walker

"About a week after my accident, Pastor Max Solbrekken came to our church - Sandy Lake Revival Centre - for a Gospel Crusade. At that time Harry Rae was our pastor and I was functioning as an evangelist. I did not attend the first service because of the tremendous pain I was experiencing from my leg."

Scam artist backing up a fellow scam artist with a false testimony.

How can people actually believe this? :facepalm:

Bindy Badgy

Anyone have a link to a peer reviewed paper about the guy with the broken leg?

I'm sure doctors and scientists would be queuing up to study the character described in the article.

This thread reminded me of these for some reason. Just going to leave them here.

Double dropping for the lord :lol:

Bindy Badgy

The Derren Brown programme on these charlatans was good but depressing. Showed you exactly how they exploit people. On of the best tricks was getting blind people to see again. It worked on the basis that most people that are registered blind have a modicum of vision so you get them to do things they could do before they were "cured".

Jambo 4 Ever

The Derren Brown programme on these charlatans was good but depressing. Showed you exactly how they exploit people. On of the best tricks was getting blind people to see again. It worked on the basis that most people that are registered blind have a modicum of vision so you get them to do things they could do before they were "cured".

ahhh that is very manipulative!!

Bindy Badgy

While we're on the topic of charlatans:

https://www.rt.com/usa/342422-international-psychic-ring-justice-department/

"Perhaps they should?ve seen this coming: An international ring of ?fraudulent? psychics has been shut down by the US Justice Department after it allegedly stole close to $200 million from more than a million Americans."

On a somewhat related note. John Oliver segment on the prosperity gospel:

Generic Username

This thread reminded me of these for some reason. Just going to leave them here.

Double dropping for the lord :lol:

Two of my all time favourite internet finds.

TRUST ME! THIS ONE'S A STINKER!

You really see how completely brainwashed and deluded people are in times like this.  Take Lourdes for example.  Millions of docile sheep flock every year in hope of healing.  People with cancer then fight it and say it was healed by their faith.  Firstly, people just beat cancer this is a fact and secondly it is so arrogant.  What makes them so special that they get healed but others die.

Wake up ffs!!!

That was a good show. The full episode is available on youtube, called "Miracles for Sale".

Maple Leaf

You really see how completely brainwashed and deluded people are in times like this.  Take Lourdes for example.  Millions of docile sheep flock every year in hope of healing.  People with cancer then fight it and say it was healed by their faith.  Firstly, people just beat cancer this is a fact and secondly it is so arrogant.  What makes them so special that they get healed but others die.

Wake up ffs!!!

As well as being superstitious nonsense, it's all business. 

Lourdes is one of the biggest scams going.  Although it's a town of only 15,000 people, they get upwards of FIVE MILLION gullible pilgrims every year, and all those lovely pilgrims spend money.  As a result, Lourdes has more hotels than any city in France, except for Paris. And the restaurants and souvenir shops do a roaring trade. 

In the 150 years since Lourdes became a "miracle" site, there have been only 69 unexplained cures among the hundreds of millions of pilgrims.  That seems low to me compared to normal remission rates. I figure that there is more likelihood of a person being killed in a traffic accident while traveling to Lourdes than there is of receiving a cure.

Lourdes is one of the biggest scams going.  Although it's a town of only 15,000 people, they get upwards of FIVE MILLION gullible pilgrims every year, and all those lovely pilgrims spend money.  As a result, Lourdes has more hotels than any city in France, except for Paris. And the restaurants and souvenir shops do a roaring trade. 

In the 150 years since Lourdes became a "miracle" site, there have been only 69 unexplained cures among the hundreds of millions of pilgrims.  That seems low to me compared to normal remission rates. I figure that there is more likelihood of a person being killed in a traffic accident while traveling to Lourdes than there is of receiving a cure.

Such is religion buddy, such is religion.

God loves you now give him your effing money.

It is like when a bulb blows in the house and some fools believe it is paranormal activity.  FFS a bulb blew - it happens.

Generic Username

It is like when a bulb blows in the house and some fools believe it is paranormal activity.  FFS a bulb blew - it happens.

Paranormal activity can occur.

I woke up one morning covered in a sticky, translucent substance that I assured my girlfriend had to be ectoplasm as a result of being attacked, around my crotch area, by a ghost during the night.

I woke up one morning covered in a sticky, translucent substance that I assured my girlfriend had to be ectoplasm as a result of being attacked, around my crotch area, by a ghost during the night.

Sure you just didn't get a gam of slimer?

:rofl:

And yet, still more credible a story than faith healing. :lol:

Bindy Badgy

From one of Carl Sagan's books:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Demon-Haunted_World

"The spontaneous remission rates of all cancers... is estimated to be something between 1 in 10,000 and 1 in 100,000. If no more than 5% of those who come to Lourdes were there to treat their cancers, there should have been something between 50 and 500 'miraculous' cures of cancer alone. Since only 3 of the attested [by the Roman Catholic Church] 65 cures are of cancer, the rate of spontaneous remission at Lourdes seems to be lower than if the victims had just stayed at home." (p.221)

Jambo 4 Ever

Like with anything to do with faith, total bullshit.

But what do people have to gain by lying they had been cured?

Attention.

The perceived love of 'God'.

Archived