Quality over Quantity......

Clerry Jambo

We_are_the_Hearts

Goalie, Left back, Attacking midfielder, Striker.

We really need a Scott Allan type midfielder. Someone who can take the ball in the spaces between midfield and attack and open up defences.

Do The Dance

It will take more than 3 new players to make us a league winning side.

If they were actually top quality it wouldn't - ok maybe 4.

Depends on what the squad we have has learned this season and if those brought in in January can be boosted further by a full pre season.

I think it will be closer to 5-6 depending on who leaves.

Howdy Doody Jambo

We're looking for the players already at the club to improve their quality and kick on, we've been rather average at times this season, but a good left-back is a must and 20 goal man pronto

Buffalo Bill

Robbie tends to underestimate these things, possibly just to be on the safe side, but I would expect at least four in, with maybe another free agent arriving after the window closes.

Personally, I'd be signing not one, but two strikers.

...and when I say 'striker', I mean someone who scores goals.

Buffalo Bill

Incidentally, next term marks the 25th anniversary of the last time we had a "20 goal a season" striker. 

Jambo 4 Ever

Maybe I keep the current players motivated for rest of this season to prove their worth and still entertain the paying fans!

We_are_the_Hearts

Incidentally, next term marks the 25th anniversary of the last time we had a "20 goal a season" striker. 

We had a 20 goal a season striker for years and won nothing. A 20 a goal a season striker would be a bonus but it's more important to have a team that can create and score from anywhere.

chester copperpot

Incidentally, next term marks the 25th anniversary of the last time we had a "20 goal a season" striker.

And there lies the problem.

We, however, need to create the opportunities for our strikers to score so I'd say a creative midfielder is needed more.

Djoum, Kitchen and a.n. other would see us challenging up there.

I actually think Scott Allan would compliment our midfield perfectly however he aint coming here sadly.

Big Moysey

We had a 20 goal a season striker for years and won nothing. A 20 a goal a season striker would be a bonus but it's more important to have a team that can create and score from anywhere.

Every team that wins a major league has a 20 goal striker. Big Zeeifuk would have scored 20 if he had been with us for a season, before you quote us last year

Joe Hearts

It would/will be difficult for any striker to score 20+ goals if they're not playing week in week out!

Jambof3tornado

I honestly see enough in Juwon to think we already have a left back for next season. He has taken time to settle but has improved enough that I'd rather we bolstered the team in other areas.

Any keeper we bring in must be good enough to challenge Neil or there is no point.

And there lies the problem.

We, however, need to create the opportunities for our strikers to score so I'd say a creative midfielder is needed more.

Djoum, Kitchen and a.n. other would see us challenging up there.

I actually think Scott Allan would compliment our midfield perfectly however he aint coming here sadly.

If it's goals we are looking for we need to stop looking at forwards from other leagues that haven't scored many goals. If they can't find the net in another league even if it's a better league they aren't likely to find the net in this league because it's a natural ability that not everyone has.

Better off looking at a prolific striker from lower leagues who have that natural instinct for finding the net. After that it's just a case of making sure they have the fitness and drive to make the step up.

If Rossi, McGhee and Smith can fill in at left back again perhaps we don't need a player there.

Not easy to move on players but I would be looking to move on or not renew Alexander, Augustyn, Oshinawa, Pallardo, Gomis, Juanma, Reilly, Dauda and El Hassnaoui.

So I would be looking for more than 3 or 4 players.

OmiyaHearts

It would/will be difficult for any striker to score 20+ goals if they're not playing week in week out!

Difficult for anyone to score 20 with the type of service we give forwards.

JamboJohn1874

If we are after a new goalkeeper, it only leaves perhaps 2 or 3 outfield players to be brought in. We all know that is not enough, as there is too much mediocrity there just now. This means Neilson has accepted that we will not be challenging for titles next season, before it has even started.

With the non footballing side of our club going so well, it is really disappointing to hear the manager say this.

This end of season apathy for the football side looks like never ending just now and Neilson may end up. costing us season tickets.

Don't forget, this close season could become almost repugnant if Hibs win the cup and Neilson would then have a lot to answer for. The joy of them not coming up would pale into insignificance over seeing them crow over this.

Joe Hearts

Difficult for anyone to score 20 with the type of service we give forwards.

Exactly, lately our midfield has been to defensive.

If Rossi, McGhee and Smith can fill in at left back again perhaps we don't need a player there.

Not easy to move on players but I would be looking to move on or not renew Alexander, Augustyn, Oshinawa, Pallardo, Gomis, Juanma, Reilly, Dauda and El Hassnaoui.

If you moved on all of them then you're looking at bringing in 3 or 4 strikers :lol: I'd agree they're all mince but no chance they're all getting punted.

TexasAndy

We have created plenty chances this season but not finished them (Celtic away recently a big example).  What we need is a poacher.    

If we are after a new goalkeeper, it only leaves perhaps 2 or 3 outfield players to be brought in. We all know that is not enough, as there is too much mediocrity there just now. This means Neilson has accepted that we will not be challenging for titles next season, before it has even started.

With the non footballing side of our club going so well, it is really disappointing to hear the manager say this.

This end of season apathy for the football side looks like never ending just now and Neilson may end up. costing us season tickets.

Don't forget, this close season could become almost repugnant if Hibs win the cup and Neilson would then have a lot to answer for. The joy of them not coming up would pale into insignificance over seeing them crow over this.

"A heart that's full up like a landfill

A job that slowly kills you

Bruises that won't heal."

I really hope this season doesn't become repugnant.  That would be bad.

Getintaethem

Juanma, Oshinawa and Reilly will still be under contract, as will el hassanaoui unfortunately. I think the first three at least will still be here.

Pallardo and Dauda are certain to go.

Looks like Alexander will get a new contract, possibly Augustyn too. Personally I'd like to replace both.

Not sure what will happen with Gomis, although it's doubtful he'll be here next year.

I think it's important we add a few decent youngsters this year as well as bringing in more first team players.

All the talk has been of us increasing the size of the first team squad, so I think we'll see at least six new players come in.

queensferryjambo

Someone who can take the ball in the spaces between midfield and attack and open up defences.

We had one he is called Jason Holt he left. A decision not to try harder to keep him on I think Hearts will live to regret.

This means Neilson has accepted that we will not be challenging for titles next season, before it has even started.

You don't have make some rubbish up in your own head.

JamboJohn must go.........

We_are_the_Hearts

Every team that wins a major league has a 20 goal striker. Big Zeeifuk would have scored 20 if he had been with us for a season, before you quote us last year

Or Juventus this season, Dybala top scorer with 16, Higuain has double that.

Gordon Ramsay

3 or 4 and one is a keeper.

I'd say we need 5 or 6 but I think that will more than likely happen.

Robbie likes to keep his cards close to his chest.

Rudolf's Mate

All fine and well but it would also surely mean not many would depart other than those mentioned or obvious. Also the players brought in would have to hit the ground running with say 3 of the 4 being a success. Personally I think that's wishful thinking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bazzas right boot

We really need a Scott Allan type midfielder. Someone who can take the ball in the spaces between midfield and attack and open up defences.

A quality attacking midfielder and a striker would massively improve us

4 players would be enough, if in the correct places.

Would like us to have 15/16 first team players, would allow us to rotate but also have consistency. This supplemented with 7/8 young lads would be enough.

Rather have 15/ 16 or so quality players than 30/40 squad quality players.

The most important signings we could make are already at the club, Paterson, Ozturk, Rossi, Djoum and Nicholson are all now entering the final 12 months of their contracts.

If we want to achieve anything next season it's essential that we get the nucleus of our squad tied down long term IMO.

Would love to see El Hass find his fitness, confidence and form to show what he can do next season.  He must be the most frustrated person at Riccarton.

Good luck to him.

JamboJohn1874

Would love to see El Hass find his fitness, confidence and form to show what he can do next season. He must be the most frustrated person at Riccarton.

Good luck to him.

Some of us are complaining about a lack of ambition and you wish to bring back the lumbering donkey....

If you got a Rudi type player and a Griffiths type player we'd be well on the way to challenging with just two additions.

We already managed to get a Rudi type player and Griffiths floated around shitey wee clubs before being bought by Celtic for pennies, so it is possible.

Anyway, I'll bet my house that we sign more than 4 players.

Bazzas right boot

The most important signings we could make are already at the club, Paterson, Ozturk, Rossi, Djoum and Nicholson are all now entering the final 12 months of their contracts.

If we want to achieve anything next season it's essential that we get the nucleus of our squad tied down long term IMO.

Yip. And even if they do leave, maximum fees will be received, not ideal but gives us money to re invest.

Some of us are complaining about a lack of ambition and you wish to bring back the lumbering donkey....

Whatever your thoughts on Neilson it is categorically wrong to cite lack of ambition. There is clearly ambition. Debate all you like if there is the capability to match the ambition.

I think that we will be looking at a better season next year from a quality of football perspective.

We have seen that Robbie can set teams up to play attractive football. Frustrating as it may have seemed this season I think there is a good chance that Robbie set us up to be more pragmatic. Whatever we think, I dont think he and Levein thought we had the squad to win the league and that if we played too openly we might get picked off. OK that's supposition, and even its true people are entitled say that it was a load of crap because the standard of the league is so poor.

However, Robbie has now expressly stated that there is a need for us to change our style again.

By and large he has sorted the defence out. There must be recognition that we dont get enough goals from midfield and that we dont have a good enough striker.

If he is saying a change in style I cant see any other thing that this means other than to make us more effective from an attacking perspective.

Clerry Jambo

Basically other than a goalie I'm looking for attack minded players to be signed. We are generally fairly solid enough but lacking guile in the final third, another interesting summer ahead

letsalldothebeattie

Will be interesting to see who comes in this summer. Neilson has all been for bringing in players better than what we have or let go. Worked last season in the championship done it again this season and got us 3rd. Intrigued to see what kind of players come in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

siegementality

If RN thinks that we only need three or four players to mount a decent challenge on all fronts he is having a laugh. Both the old firm will strengthen as will Aberdeen ultimately meaning we will more or less stand still.

And Robbie you need two strikers as are current ones are gash.

Jambof3tornado

Given the early start europe wise I dont think we will have to wait too long to see new faces arriving.

Not sure I'd give Augustyn a new deal. Some games he's been tremendous in the air and others he's been terrible.

A few new contracts signed soon too I hope.

I'd love an experienced winger to come in, plus a striker that can work beside Juanma, a proper attacking mid and a keeper that has a chance of pushing Neil for his place.

Section Q

Nonsense.

Name the last team in any country who won the league without a 20 goal scoring striker...?.

i agree. The 98 and 06 teams were like that but what I'll also say is, Mark DeVries may well have scored over 20 in a season if it wasn't for injury. I think he scored 15 and 16 in consecutive seasons.

Nonsense.

Name the last team in any country who won the league without a 20 goal scoring striker...?.

The key is not becoming dependent on a prolific striker.

We had Robbo in the 80s who scored over 20 but we had goals elsewhere too...still never won the league unfortunately.

Jamhammer

Agree the right four players will be enough. Playing them every week they can possibly play would help too. Walker will be fully fit. That'll be like having a new player. Stop all of the dicking about and play our strongest team every week. Bringing in loads will only bring the usual inconsistent performances whilst players "settle" or "get used to Scottish football". Simplify please Robbie. Football isn't complicated. Score more goals than the opposition and you win.

We_are_the_Hearts

We had Robbo in the 80s who scored over 20 but we had goals elsewhere too...still never won the league unfortunately.

Nonsense.

Juventus this season. Us last season.

We_are_the_Hearts

Yip, the clamour for people wanting us to sign Boyd was scary. A forward who can score a lot but it tends to be him or no one as doesn't run the channels, link up or create space for others. If we could sign someone who can do all that and score goals we will have won a watch. The most important thing is we improve the pace and decision making in the final 3rd and be more clinical.

Harvey Specter

This for me. We're not that far away from having a squad capable of challenging for the title as long as we bring in quality. Totally agree with the Scott Allan type midfielder comment, he's the type of player who's capable of making things happen in an instant with his vision and ability to pick out a pass but we'd need a striker of a similar standard who'd be able to finish off the chances created a bit like Cummings did for Hibs when they played together.

Shinnie, Allan, Rooney. Three Premier League players that fill the positions that IMO we need to strengthen, if we could somehow manage to bring in players of similar ability then we would have a very capable squad. 

Alexander

Paterson Ozturk Rossi Shinnie

Kitchen Djoum

Nicholson Allan Walker

Rooney

I think that team would have a real chance of winning the league.

Hilary Briss

Hopefully after a couple of strikers. I don't think we are too far away and two decent strikers and an attacking midfielder would make a massive difference. Think Augustyn will be away so will need another central defender too.

Also, Robbie looks super camp in that photo  :pleased: 

CollyWolly

It will take more than just new players to make us a league winning side too

Archived