EURO 2012 - possible chance Scotland get it

jamboinglasgow

jamboinglasgow

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/7437379.stm

Says in the article there is a chance that Poland and Ukrane could be stripped of holding the Euro 2012 championships as they have no sign of getting anything sorted. So Scotland wants to bid for it.

What I am thinking is that it may benefit Hearts, they already have 4 stadia, so they need another four stadia up to standard. Surely the goverment (as Salmond is heavily behind it) could push through any planning application to upgrade stadia or provide some finicial help to do this. So could Hearts use this to not just upgrade the mainstand but maybe others to push the stands up to 30,000. THough this may of been not in vlad's plans but it would help.

alwaysthereinspirit

Gordon Smith deserves $#!t. Our association would only f@#k it up anyway.

In saying that I'd come home for it. Probably the only way we'd qualify anyway. Free pass.

skotskosparta
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/7437379.stm

Says in the article there is a chance that Poland and Ukrane could be stripped of holding the Euro 2012 championships as they have no sign of getting anything sorted. So Scotland wants to bid for it.

What I am thinking is that it may benefit Hearts, they already have 4 stadia, so they need another four stadia up to standard. Surely the goverment (as Salmond is heavily behind it) could push through any planning application to upgrade stadia or provide some finicial help to do this. So could Hearts use this to not just upgrade the mainstand but maybe others to push the stands up to 30,000. THough this may of been not in vlad's plans but it would help.

Watch out for the Anti TA squad hijack this one!!

Spellczech

Guess it could happen but Rangers' fans did us no favours last month - Rioting at a UEFA Cup Final FFS!

Other problem is that all 3 big football stadia are in Glasgow and there just ain't enough hotels.

Patrick Bateman

I think the bid has *some* credibility. Glasgow has managed to prove itself more than capable of hosting both a UEFA and Champions League final to great success. It would require 4 more grounds to be built/redeveloped though...

Ibrox, Hampden, Murrayfield, redeveloped Tynecastle (35,000-40,000) - new stadia in Aberdeen (30,000) and Dundee (30,000) - It would be fantastic for the country if this were to happen.

I'd imagine if it is taken away from Ukraine & Poland (and it's likely just sabre-rattling to get them moving quicker) then they would give it to a country with the necessary stadia already in place. Giving it to us would just mean they then needed assurances we would get OUR infrastructure in place quick enough...

Pity tho. Ourselves, the Sheep and maybe the Dundee clubs (if they agreed to share) could have been beneficiaries from any grants to get the necessary stadia up to size quickly. I reckon we would have got the nod over the lochender's if we got the hotel built at the same time.

John Findlay

As long as Gordon Smith is the CEO of the SFA. No major tournament or part of thereof will be played in Scotland.

John

I think the bid has *some* credibility. Glasgow has managed to prove itself more than capable of hosting both a UEFA and Champions League final to great success. It would require 4 more grounds to be built/redeveloped though...

Ibrox, Hampden, Murrayfield, redeveloped Tynecastle (35,000-40,000) - new stadia in Aberdeen (30,000) and Dundee (30,000) - It would be fantastic for the country if this were to happen.

I disagree. I think it would look ridiculous to have teams like us, Hibs and Aberdeen with 30,000 seater stadia.

The money could (and should) be spent on improving football at grass-roots level, not on some vain, aesthetic tart-up to give the SFA some delusion of grandeur.

Guess it could happen but Rangers' fans did us no favours last month - Rioting at a UEFA Cup Final FFS!

Other problem is that all 3 big football stadia are in Glasgow and there just ain't enough hotels.

****ing hooray we might just have a hotel but the ground will be too small

[QUOTE=neave;304198]I disagree. I think it would look ridiculous to have teams like us, Hibs and Aberdeen with 30,000 seater stadia.

The money could (and should) be spent on improving football at grass-roots level, not on some vain, aesthetic tart-up to give the SFA some delusion of grandeur.

Its not that long since all three plus Dundee had stadiums capable of holding these amounts of people.Maybe these stadiums would be half full on most occasions but at least clubs could try to increase their supports by dropping prices and encouraging children to come to the matches.How can you say that Hearts should not have a 30000 capacity stadium when we have regulary had crowds around that size for our European games at Murrayfield ?

Guest S.U.S.S.

Agreed, could we convince the GFA to actually use the best stadium in the country, Murrayfield?

Guest S.U.S.S.
As long as Gordon Smith is the CEO of the SFA. No major tournament or part of thereof will be played in Scotland.

John

Why?

He is an arse kissing, self promoting tosser, perfect for the big stage like that.

We host something like that, his profile is raised on the world stage and he sees a nice job with UEFA or FIFA in his future. Then he can hand pick Rangers opponents in Europe.;)

[QUOTE=neave']I disagree. I think it would look ridiculous to have teams like us, Hibs and Aberdeen with 30,000 seater stadia.

Its not that long since all three plus Dundee had stadiums capable of holding these amounts of people.Maybe these stadiums would be half full on most occasions but at least clubs could try to increase their supports by dropping prices and encouraging children to come to the matches.How can you say that Hearts should not have a 30000 capacity stadium when we have regulary had crowds around that size for our European games at Murrayfield ?

I'm sure you'll agree football is a business nowadays. Gone are the days when you can get in for a quid and lift kids over the gates. Clubs have been trying to get more supporters (especially children) coming to games for years, but it isn't a financially viable-enough risk to drop ticket prices massively to entice that amount of a fanbase. And who's to say that these newly-enticed (created?) fans will stay when the going gets tough? As you said, the Dundee teams, Aberdeen, us etc all had 30,000+ fans at one point, but, for some reason or another (probably money, IMO) they have been driven away and, in my opinion, fan numbers like that for clubs outwith the OF will never return.

The x amount of millions that would be spent on upgrading/demolishing grounds cannot be justified when there are so many problems within Scottish football either, IMO.

vegas-voss

When we were going to bid the last time was one of the conditions that Murrayfield would have to be used for the final and of course the SFA did not lika that.

alwaysthereinspirit
When we were going to bid the last time was one of the conditions that Murrayfield would have to be used for the final and of course the SFA did not lika that.

You cant blame them. Who ever heard of the final game in a major tournament being played in a nice modern stadium. That's sitting in one of the most beautiful capital cities in the world. Retards.

RockyBalboa
Why?

He is an arse kissing, self promoting tosser, perfect for the big stage like that.

We host something like that, his profile is raised on the world stage and he sees a nice job with UEFA or FIFA in his future. Then he can hand pick Rangers opponents in Europe.;)

:pray:

This has zero credibility.

Aberdeen have to be out of Pit Tawdry by March 2011 but have nowhere to go. They are pinning their hopes on a community stadium, but the council has a massive hole in its finances and is being investigated by the Audit Office. So a new stadium in Aberdeen isn't going to happen, and even there was a miracle it wouldn't be a 30,000 seater.

Who , exactly, will build a 30,000 capacity stadium in Dungdeh? :eek:

The Scottish government is totally ineffective, doesn't have the money to fund it, and could never make this happen.

In short then, Scotland's only chance of qualification for 2012 has gone. Fact.

RockyBalboa
This has zero credibility.

Aberdeen have to be out of Pit Tawdry by March 2011 but have nowhere to go. They are pinning their hopes on a community stadium, but the council has a massive hole in its finances and is being investigated by the Audit Office. So a new stadium in Aberdeen isn't going to happen, and even there was a miracle it wouldn't be a 30,000 seater.

Who , exactly, will build a 30,000 capacity stadium in Dungdeh? :eek:

The Scottish government is totally ineffective, doesn't have the money to fund it, and could never make this happen.

In short then, Scotland's only chance of qualification for 2012 has gone. Fact.

Im sure theres a couple of venues in Austria/Switzerland that are under 30,000. There was talk of a temporary stand at ER and Dundee Utd last time and a joint proposal with Wales so it could happen. If Uefa are desperate for some country to hold it they might bend the rules slightly.

There was talk of a temporary stand at ER and Dundee Utd last time and a joint proposal with Wales so it could happen.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Only the diseased mind of a hobo could come up with something like that. :rolleyes:

RockyBalboa
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Only the diseased mind of a hobo could come up with something like that. :rolleyes:

Sure it was the SFA and not me.

Nevermind, when Hearts have there super duper new stadium with the 100,000 capacity, no 40,000, no 25,000 they might be allowed to host competative European matches again so we could maybe use that.

Whatever. :rolleyes:

While I'm on the subject, I can just envisage Sepp Blatter, Michel Platini, and the UEFA heirarchy squeezing into those seats in the Tannadice stand that even the ex-wife of a Proclaimer would struggle to stretch her legs in.

:hobofish:

Nevermind, when Hearts have there super duper new stadium with the 100,000 capacity, no 40,000, no 25,000 they might be allowed to host competative European matches again so we could maybe use that.

Ooooohhh, put your rattle back in the pram

:buttkick:

Drylaw Hearts

Tynecastle can host competative European matches now.

RockyBalboa
Tynecastle can host competative European matches now.

Ok fair enough. It was something to do with the pitch or something right?

RockyBalboa
Whatever. :rolleyes:

While I'm on the subject, I can just envisage Sepp Blatter, Michel Platini, and the UEFA heirarchy squeezing into those seats in the Tannadice stand that even the ex-wife of a Proclaimer would struggle to stretch her legs in.

:hobofish:

Aye, suppose. Good point.

Im sure theres a couple of venues in Austria/Switzerland that are under 30,000.

The minimum capacity is 30,000 but at Euro 2008 7 of the 8 stadia are between 30,000 and 33,200 with only the Ernst Happel Stadion at 49,000.

http://www.stadiumguide.com/euro2008.htm

Scotland have 4 stadiums bigger than the biggest at Euro 2008 already. The infrastructure would present more problems than the stadia if the SFA / Government went ahead with this.

RockyBalboa
The minimum capacity is 30,000 but at Euro 2008 7 of the 8 stadia are between 30,000 and 33,200 with only the Ernst Happel Stadion at 49,000.

http://www.stadiumguide.com/euro2008.htm

Scotland have 4 stadiums bigger than the biggest at Euro 2008 already. The infrastructure would present more problems than the stadia if the SFA / Government went ahead with this.

Says here http://www.stadiumguide.com/allmend.htm this stadium is under 15k. :rolleyes:

I disagree. I think it would look ridiculous to have teams like us, Hibs and Aberdeen with 30,000 seater stadia.

Couldn't agree more with you Neave.

Still one of the funniest things I seen on "Only an Excuse" a few years back.

"Can we have the Euro 2008 championship please!?"

Zali Cinnamon

Would make far more sense for England to get it. With 4 suitable stadia, and 3 of them in the same city, Scotland is equally as incapable of holding it as Poland and Ukraine, if not more so.

RockyBalboa
Would make far more sense for England to get it. With 4 suitable stadia, and 3 of them in the same city, Scotland is equally as incapable of holding it as Poland and Ukraine, if not more so.

They want the WC in 2018, thats why they played Trinidad on Sunday.

Zali Cinnamon
They want the WC in 2018, thats why they played Trinidad on Sunday.

Aye I know, but they're one of the few European countries who could readily step in at very short notice and run a tournament...

RockyBalboa
Aye I know, but they're one of the few European countries who could readily step in at very short notice and run a tournament...

If they hosted that it would effect the chances of them hosting another so soon. Thats why they never got it in 2008 (or part of the reason)

I would say France would be a good choice. :cool:

jamboinglasgow

While I whole-heartedly agree that major investment should be spent on improving grass rates, I must point out when was the last major investment as such in grass routes. Just because you can put major investment in doesn't mean it will happen. The problem is politicions do not like putting money in one sport as it creates a bias. So one way of getting major investment in grass routes is through a major competition as the countr feels it needs to improve as its hosting the competition and cant be embarressed with bad football grass routes.

Ideally this would of been the way with the olympics in London but the govt is too interested in winning as many golds as possible so is pumping money into elite levels rather than grass routes, my views on it is that the UK will do really well in 2012 and very poorly in 2016. But I think investment in a Euro competition would bring investment in grass routes.

jamboinglasgow

your forgeting a very major competition happening in the summer 2012 in England. The olympics. Yes England have the infrastructure but it is too much strain on the country even though the olympics are in London.

shaun.lawson

This is probably a storm in a teacup. There are always scare stories about nations not being able to stage major events: there was before the Athens Olympics, Euro 2004 in Portugal, and has been regarding the next World Cup ever since it was awarded to South Africa! There's still plenty of time, and I imagine everything will work itself out - but if by some chance it doesn't, I'd say it's a cast iron certainty UEFA will turn not to Scotland, and not to England... but to Italy, who were pretty peeved at missing out on 2012 in the first place.

While I whole-heartedly agree that major investment should be spent on improving grass rates, I must point out when was the last major investment as such in grass routes. Just because you can put major investment in doesn't mean it will happen. The problem is politicions do not like putting money in one sport as it creates a bias. So one way of getting major investment in grass routes is through a major competition as the countr feels it needs to improve as its hosting the competition and cant be embarressed with bad football grass routes.

Ideally this would of been the way with the olympics in London but the govt is too interested in winning as many golds as possible so is pumping money into elite levels rather than grass routes, my views on it is that the UK will do really well in 2012 and very poorly in 2016. But I think investment in a Euro competition would bring investment in grass routes.

The same could be said if Scotland were to hold an EC though, mate, if investment is top-heavy, as, as you said, it would be if we were to be hosts.

The fact that there has been very little investment in football at basic level speaks volumes against funding an EC; if any investment should be made, then surely the most benficial and viable in both the short and long term would be at grassroot level.

Was there not talk of a joint bid with Ireland? It seems that there are very few countries in europe capable of hosting this tournament and joint bidding seems the way to go.

jamboinglasgow
The same could be said if Scotland were to hold an EC though, mate, if investment is top-heavy, as, as you said, it would be if we were to be hosts.

The fact that there has been very little investment in football at basic level speaks volumes against funding an EC; if any investment should be made, then surely the most benficial and viable in both the short and long term would be at grassroot level.

The point I am trying to make about the very little investment is that it just doesn't come (even though greater investment in youth sport could help stem obesity and thus reduce bill of the NHS) and even if we choose not to get the championships the government would never turn over the money which would be allocated to a championship to grass routes.

The point I am trying to make about the very little investment is that it just doesn't come (even though greater investment in youth sport could help stem obesity and thus reduce bill of the NHS) and even if we choose not to get the championships the government would never turn over the money which would be allocated to a championship to grass routes.

Good point. And if true is a very sad state of affairs. We really do seem to give our potential athletes little or no help to progress and perform on a bigger stage.

Whenever someone does actually do well, they ultimately fail due to a genuine lack of quality (and are then slated in the press).

Says here http://www.stadiumguide.com/allmend.htm this stadium is under 15k. :rolleyes:

That'll be why Lucerne isn't getting any games

The Swiss Venues are Geneva, Zurich, Bern and Basel

As for Temporary Stands.

There is a precedent for Euro 2000 Stade Communal, Charleroi had an extra Tier to take it's capacity up to scratch.

http://www.aim.ac.yu/euro/stadioni/chrle.htm

Crucially though this was planned for in the initial construction process.

Charleroi were building a new stand, they left the roof off, bolted the temporary tier in place and then unbolted it and put the permanent roof on. It couldn't have been easy but then again neither is building a temporary stadium on the castle esplanade every summer.

Quite how this operation was paid for I've no idea

Personally I reckon Spain is the natural candidate to fill in at short notice.

Amongst the big countries who already have the infrastructure in place Italy (1990), England(1996), France (1998) & Germany(2006) have all hosted a major finals since Spain had the world cup in 1982.

RockyBalboa
That'll be why Lucerne isn't getting any games

The Swiss Venues are Geneva, Zurich, Bern and Basel

As for Temporary Stands.

There is a precedent for Euro 2000 Stade Communal, Charleroi had an extra Tier to take it's capacity up to scratch.

http://www.aim.ac.yu/euro/stadioni/chrle.htm

Crucially though this was planned for in the initial construction process.

Charleroi were building a new stand, they left the roof off, bolted the temporary tier in place and then unbolted it and put the permanent roof on. It couldn't have been easy but then again neither is building a temporary stadium on the castle esplanade every summer.

Quite how this operation was paid for I've no idea

Personally I reckon Spain is the natural candidate to fill in at short notice.

Amongst the big countries who already have the infrastructure in place Italy (1990), England(1996), France (1998) & Germany(2006) have all hosted a major finals since Spain had the world cup in 1982.

Sound, I'm sure I read that Spain where playing one of there games in a under 20k capacity stadium but could be wrong. :cool:

jamboinglasgow
Good point. And if true is a very sad state of affairs. We really do seem to give our potential athletes little or no help to progress and perform on a bigger stage.

Whenever someone does actually do well, they ultimately fail due to a genuine lack of quality (and are then slated in the press).

That is the problem with this country, we throw a relativly small amount of money or use lottery as a way of giving money to atheletes and sportsman without the government having to spend money. Then we expect our sportsmen and women to be the best. When we do have these people we throw all the money at one or two people and are surprised why they dont succed with all the pressure.

To me the problem is we are throwing too much money at the wrong end of the system. While it is very important to fund our sportsmen and women to be the best, we would do alot better if we have a greater number of talented people for each sport rather than 1 or 2. So if we invest heavily in youth we can sport the talented ones quicker and give quality coaching to all as well. From that the national stock will improve. I mentoned in my previous response that the obsesity problem is start to burden and the government tries too little to stop it rather then say the odd ad campaign when what would be better is to try and get kids more active and into sport. In australia every youngsters does a sport from an early age and they try a few out. Now Australia are renowened for their sport.

michael_bolton

I live in Poland, and it has to be said that it seems extremely unlikely that this tournament will go ahead here.

The main issue is infrastructure. A new motorway has to be built, linking Wroclaw in the south to Gdansk in the north, it's behind schedule already. Two other major motorways need to be built too, they haven't started. A total of 12 BILLION Euros have to be spent on roads. The roads here are rotten, in the main.

The train system is antiquated. New rolling stock has o be bought and tracks all over the country have to be modernised. PKP, the train company here, have never done anything like this before and basically have no idea how to start. As it stands the trains are old-fashioned, slow and unreliable. The tracks simply need replaced. The train stations, even in places like Warsaw, Wroclaw and Gdansk, simply aren't up to scratch, not by a long way.

It's a shame, as the Poles are so excited about this. But it's hard to see the impending UEFA inspection recomending anything other than changing hosts, especially since Ukraine's problems are even worse than the ones outlined above for Poland.

Oh, and I haven't even mentioned the need for a second metro line in Warsaw, which hasn't started yet (the FIRST isn't finished), or the stadium issue.

It won't happen. Scotland should think about it and repare accordingly.

Then there is the issue of accommodation. There simply isn't enough.

Archived