Look at me, look at me...

Dr. Bapswent

Dr. Bapswent

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Makela--plea-for-Hearts.4154624.jp

Makela plea for Hearts to watch him in Helsinki

Date: 05 June 2008

By BARRY ANDERSON

JUHO MAKELA wants Hearts' management to gain first-hand knowledge of his progress on loan at HJK Helsinki by visiting him in the Finnish capital.

The striker is keen for Anatoli Korobochka, the club's sport director, to watch him in action before he rejoins Hearts next month. Makela intends to challenge for a first-team place upon the completion of his three-month loan and is urging the Tynecastle hierarchy not to overlook him.

He scored three goals in the opening two matches of Finland's Veikkausliga but has endured a slight slump of form since. He feels that seeing Hearts representatives travel to assess him personally would be a welcome confidence boost.

"I'm hoping they will come to see me," Makela told the Evening News. "We were talking before I left with Anatoli and it was said that they might come to Helsinki, but I haven't heard from them. I would like them to come over this month or maybe even early July to see how I am playing.

"When I join Hearts again in Germany next month I want to be fully prepared so that is what I am working towards.

"My fitness has improved a lot here, there is no doubt about that, and I feel better in my body. But I would like Hearts to see this for themselves."

Meanwhile, Wolverhampton Wanderers could be ready to submit a renewed offer for Hearts captain Christophe Berra after their initial ?1.5million bid was rejected.

Reports in England claim Mick McCarthy, the Molineux manager, is ready to meet Vladimir Romanov's asking price of ?2m for the 23-year-old Scotland international.

Berra's contract at Tynecastle runs until 2011 but earlier this week the player's agent, Gary Mackay, expressed his disappointment that Hearts had refused Wolves' offer to the Evening News.

Nevertheless McCarthy knows he requires a new centre-back for next season's assault on promotion after informing club captain Gary Breen he is free to leave Molineux.

McCarthy is a huge admirer of Berra after monitoring his progress last season, and the player would be interested in the prospect of playing in England should the clubs manage to agree a fee.

jambovambo

"My fitness has improved a lot here, there is no doubt about that, and I feel better in my body. But I would like Hearts to see this for themselves."

Begs the question - why wasn't he fit enough when he was with us?

Can we get over people's prejudices over whether or not they like a player.

If Hearts own a player and he is on loan but nobody wants to buy him, should the club be having someone assess his form IN FIRST TEAM FOOTBALL to identify whether he can raise his game to any sort of level

Given he hasnt had any run of games here, wouldnt it be sensible and prudent to keep informed as to the progress of your plauyers from a footballing perspective?

The Future's Maroon

I still think he deserves a chance, and hope he gets it....if he impresses in Germany and pre-season he might get it, but I aint holding my breath!

I'd be willing to give him a chance. People who watch reserve games have said he's absolutely murder, but players like Beniusis, Elliot, Ivaskevicius and Ksanavicius have all been given chances despite clearly not being good enough.

You never know, he might surprise us.

John Findlay

Makela reminds me of Gary O'Connor. Niether could trap a bag of cement never mind a football.

John

I'd be willing to give him a chance. People who watch reserve games have said he's absolutely murder, but players like Beniusis, Elliot, Ivaskevicius and Ksanavicius have all been given chances despite clearly not being good enough.

You never know, he might surprise us.

Well the bottom line is that I have seen Beni and Klimek more in a Hearts first team strip than Makela, and whatever rumours I have heard about his gashness he simply cant beat either of those two on the gash front, and I'd much rather have been watching him than them

Well the bottom line is that I have seen Beni and Klimek more in a Hearts first team strip than Makela, and whatever rumours I have heard about his gashness he simply cant beat either of those two on the gash front, and I'd much rather have been watching him than them

Exactly. The lad scores pretty much whenever he plays and has scored consistently in a league which is, arguably, of similar quality to our own.

I say give him a chance. And a decent one; not a start and a few 5 minute subbies.

For all that people go on about him being a pish footballer, he certainly seems to score goals - not just in Finland, but for us when he's been given the chance of a start in his favoured position. I realise of course that three were against Alloa, but you can only score against who you're played against - standard practice at any football club if a fringe player came in and scored a hatrick against a lower league team in the cup would be to then give him a chance, particularly if the "first choice" strikers were misfiring.

If he can put the ball in the net, I don't care if he has the first touch of an elephant on smack. We get lots of nice wee touches from Nad?, would people rather have him up front?

I P Knightley

If Hearts own a player and he is on loan but nobody wants to buy him, should the club be having someone assess his form IN FIRST TEAM FOOTBALL to identify whether he can raise his game to any sort of level

Given he hasnt had any run of games here, wouldnt it be sensible and prudent to keep informed as to the progress of your plauyers from a footballing perspective?

...which I think is his point.

Sounds sensible to me. We have an asset (in the accounting sense if not the footballing one) and it would seem daft to leave him doing his stuff without keeping an eye on him.

Begs the question - why wasn't he fit enough when he was with us?

The fitness at Hearts always seems to be a problem. Most players that have left seem to be able to perform for other clubs, Makela recently again and Bednar at WBA last season amongst others. I don't know what they're doing, or NOT doing at training as over the last 2 years, almost every player appears constantly injured, I can't work out why but I wish someone at the club could as it's hindering the progress of the team.

rudi must stay
I still think he deserves a chance, and hope he gets it....if he impresses in Germany and pre-season he might get it, but I aint holding my breath!

i hope he does as well, looks like decent goalscorer imo. I don't think he will though, we'd rather play untried teenagers than him ffs

maroonlegions

He scored three goals in the opening two matches of Finland's Veikkausliga but has endured a slight slump of form since.:rolleyes::rolleyes::P

rudi must stay
He scored three goals in the opening two matches of Finland's Veikkausliga but has endured a slight slump of form since.:rolleyes::rolleyes::P

doesn't really say anything, it's nothing like as good as the SPL

Sheriff Fatman

If the two teams that had him on loan don't think he is worth buying does that not give you a hint that he might not be first team quality.

Makela reminds me of Gary O'Connor. Niether could trap a bag of cement never mind a football.

John

Luckily you dont have to trap a bag of cement, to score a tap in or a header.

O'connors record in the premier league, is probably better than our current strike force put together.

Ibrahim Tall

Only we would loan out a player to get his confidence and fitness up and not even bother to watch him. :rolleyes:

Ray Winstone
Only we would loan out a player to get his confidence and fitness up and not even bother to watch him. :rolleyes:

Did we loan him out for that reason - or to get him in the shop window?

We dont want to have to pay his astronomical bonuses every time he plays for us so we need to sell him on.

doesn't really say anything, it's nothing like as good as the SPL

Always good to see an educated opinion. Who are your favourite Finnish team, and do they have players as good as Jim Paterson et al?

Auld Reekin'

John

Do you mean Derek?

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/players/oconnorderek.html

If so, a bit unfair on Deek, I'd say. Not the most gifted forward I've ever seen, but would certainly show up most of the current shower for effort and commitment. Makela too, whilst clearly not possessing enormous amounts of skill, is fast and strong and has demonstrated that he can score goals under the right circumstances. Given our profound lack of other attacking options at the moment, he should definitely be given a chance to prove himself next season.

Auld Reekin'

That's exactly the question those ever eager to mangle Makela should be asking themselves. After all, under whose regime were Makela, Beslija and Pinilla (and Klimek, and Beniusis, and all the other duds from points east too numerous to mention) signed?

Under whose regime have we been languishing for 2.5 years without a manager worthy of the name?

ScottishSandstorm

If so, a bit unfair on Deek, I'd say. Not the most gifted forward I've ever seen, but would certainly show up most of the current shower for effort and commitment. Makela too, whilst clearly not possessing enormous amounts of skill, is fast and strong and has demonstrated that he can score goals under the right circumstances. Given our profound lack of other attacking options at the moment, he should definitely be given a chance to prove himself next season.

You mean in a league the equivalent to the third division and only when you get the kind of service so that you can shoot from inside the six yard box and only get the shot on net 50% of the time?

Auld Reekin'
You mean in a league the equivalent to the third division and only when you get the kind of service so that you can shoot from inside the six yard box and only get the shot on net 50% of the time?

Well, I don't know enough about the standard of Finnish top league football to be able to comment too much on that, but I'd be very surprised if it is as poor as standard as you state.

Have you seen a lot of Finnish league games?

Equally, I must admit that I have never seen Makela play in a league game there so - if you are saying with the utmost authority that this is how he's scored all of his goals there, before he came to Hearts and during his current loan spell - I must bow to your superior knowledge.

ScottishSandstorm
Well, I don't know enough about the standard of Finnish top league football to be able to comment too much on that, but I'd be very surprised if it is as poor as standard as you state.

Have you seen a lot of Finnish league games?

Equally, I must admit that I have never seen Makela play in a league game there so - if you are saying with the utmost authority that this is how he's scored all of his goals there, before he came to Hearts and during his current loan spell - I must bow to your superior knowledge.

Well I wasn't really being a confrontational ass-hole. Just saying my opinion of a player and pointing out the fact that he only scores goals when he is playing in own back yard against competition that is vastly inferior to the SPL. The fact is that Makela hasn't played because he is awful. He would have earned his place in training. There is not "agenda" against him as a lot on here suggest. Players have commented on how he is the worst player in the squad. Way to be a smart ass but I have an opinion that is backed up by rational thinking and not a blind anti-Vlad/ anti-Frail agenda. The guy has had chances to move on and be first choice but turned them down because he likes his big wage. Cut the crap, stop being suck a *****, and stop posting in your "special" font color.

John Findlay
Do you mean Derek?

N0. Derek I once saw score a hat-trick at Shielfield Park. Not many Hearts forwards scored three goals in England.

John

Laughed at that too.

How can you have a slight slump? It's a bit like being slightly pregnant.

Makela is a nice guy but is just not good enough. The goal against Barca will be forever his career highlight. That was as good as it will ever get Juho!

Drylaw Hearts

They won't go and watch him because they have made their mind up on him.

He's utter garbage.

They want him off the wage bill asap.

Frail thinks he's garbage* but since this is the same man who thinks elliot is a great prospect & has givern adrian mole a chance before Makela, then taht speaks volumes.

sooner we have a REAL Coach the better imho.

shaggy aint up to it am afriad.

as to whether Makela & Beslija (& Pinilla) are up for it, i dunno as i've never seen enough of them to make a considered opinion either way. :107years:

*Frail has treated Makela differently from Elliot & Mole; thiose two he has gven upteen oppurtunities to impress & show what they can do (they didn't) but Makela wasn't even afforded that curtesy when shaggy took over; he'd made his mind up about him. pity he didn't have the same blinkered view about callum and saved us all an agonising slow death of a season.:sad:

Drylaw Hearts
Frail thinks he's garbage* but since this is the same man who thinks elliot is a great prospect & has givern adrian mole a chance before Makela, then taht speaks volumes.

sooner we have a REAL Coach the better imho.

shaggy aint up to it am afriad.

as to whether Makela & Beslija (& Pinilla) are up for it, i dunno as i've never seen enough of them to make a considered opinion either way. :107years:

*Frail has treated Makela differently from Elliot & Mole; thiose two he has gven upteen oppurtunities to impress & show what they can do (they didn't) but Makela wasn't even afforded that curtesy when shaggy took over; he'd made his mind up about him. pity he didn't have the same blinkered view about callum and saved us all an agonising slow death of a season.:sad:

Frail isn't the only Manager who didn't play him.

Rix, Valdas, Malofeev, Korobochka and Cerenkov all preferred other strikers.

I think Frail had made his mind up about him because, like the others, he watched him day in and day out in training and realised he was an awful footballer.

Auld Reekin'
Well I wasn't really being a confrontational ass-hole. Just saying my opinion of a player and pointing out the fact that he only scores goals when he is playing in own back yard against competition that is vastly inferior to the SPL. The fact is that Makela hasn't played because he is awful. He would have earned his place in training. There is not "agenda" against him as a lot on here suggest. Players have commented on how he is the worst player in the squad. Way to be a smart ass but I have an opinion that is backed up by rational thinking and not a blind anti-Vlad/ anti-Frail agenda. The guy has had chances to move on and be first choice but turned them down because he likes his big wage. Cut the crap, stop being suck a *****, and stop posting in your "special" font color.

It came across that way, but if that wasn't the intention then fair enough. However, you certainly are being just that with the personal abuse, aren't you? No call for that, as at no time had I / have I ever levelled any against you. Keep it to yourself!

In many, many previous threads I have been as supportive as possible to Frail, and categorically do not have any agenda against him. I think he was thrown into the deep-end when given the "caretaker manager" job, and that this was too much responsibility too soon in his coaching career. For these reasons, I do not want him to be our next "permanent" :rolleyes:, full-time manager, but that is a great distance away from having any agenda against him.

Romanov, however - that is a different story...

My main point was that, given the current dearth of experienced options - and until a better player is signed (whenever that might be) - Makela should be given a decent run in the first team. Then we'll all know for sure whether he's as bad as many on here make out. Then, if he's anywhere near as bad as Beniusis or Klimek, or as disinterested as Nade, or as "injury-prone" and "distracted" as Pinilla, I'll be the first on here to admit that he should not be on Hearts books.

Oh, and by the way, I'll post in any feckin' colour I want. It's a shame you don't like the one I chose: maroon.

Auld Reekin'
N0. Derek I once saw score a hat-trick at Shielfield Park. Not many Hearts forwards scored three goals in England.

John

:)

Good!

(Not a big fan of Gary's then...??? ;))

makela=not good enough

At least he wants to play for us mate and that is refreshing

Half the wage thieves at this club frankly couldn't give a toss

What are you basing that on?

Just out of curiousity, do you disagree with the opinion that Finnish football is of a lower standard than the SPL, are you half-Finnish, or are you just questioning the opinion for the point of questioning it? :confused:

Just out of curiousity, do you disagree with the opinion that Finnish football is of a lower standard than the SPL, are you half-Finnish, or are you just questioning the opinion for the point of questioning it? :confused:

I tend to question any opinion which is clearly based on zero knowledge of the subject matter.

I have no idea what the Finnish league's like - neither, I'd guess, do the majority on here. I can't remember any of their teams having had a decent run in Europe, but then again Scottish teams outwith the Old Firm don't tend to do much better (with the odd exception). When our current "third force" include in their ranks English lower league rejects such as Simon Lappin and Steven Hammell, I don't think that we can really get sniffy about the standard of football in a foreign league that we know nothing about.

The irony is that if someone on here found similar comments made about the SPL by, for example, Belgian fans, many would be up in arms.

I hope that this answers your question.

I tend to question any opinion which is clearly based on zero knowledge of the subject matter.

I have no idea what the Finnish league's like - neither, I'd guess, do the majority on here. I can't remember any of their teams having had a decent run in Europe, but then again Scottish teams outwith the Old Firm don't tend to do much better (with the odd exception). When our current "third force" include in their ranks English lower league rejects such as Simon Lappin and Steven Hammell, I don't think that we can really get sniffy about the standard of football in a foreign league that we know nothing about.

The irony is that if someone on here found similar comments made about the SPL by, for example, Belgian fans, many would be up in arms.

I hope that this answers your question.

HJK made the champions league group stages back in 98/99 and did not to badly there.

Anyway the finish league is about the same standart as the Lithuanian, Latvian etc. leagues. Maybe slightly better but they are improving. One huge diference form the mentioned leagues is the standard of football facilities awaiwavle. Plus finland have made massive developments on grassroots level football and are already reaping the rewards with their national youth teams. IMO they are a country which football scouts should be watching carefuly for youth talent.

Still these improvements don't have much to do with Makela :) and overall I would say the SPL is of better standart than the Veikkausliiga. Could change in 10 years or so.

jack D and coke

I've said it before if he's worse than that pair or clum for that matter i'd eat ma c*ck. At least the very few times we've seen him he has actually shown the ability to put the ball in the net.

Archived