Email and text message, big brother is watching you!

The Old Tolbooth

The Old Tolbooth

I saw something on the TV this morning about the government being able to go into your email accounts, and phone providers to check your texts and emails, without your consent!!

They say that it's in the interests of national security, which I could understand if people were being accused of being a paedophile, terrorist, or a drug smuggler etc, but they are using it for people who claim to have kids in a certain catchment area for schools, and other petty things which IMO are a complete waste of time, and a gross invasion of peoples privacy.

They don't need your consent to do this, and after they have checked your messages, they don't even let you know that they have been in and trawled through your personal stuff. Surely that has to be illegal? :confused:

The Old Tolbooth

I think the way they put it across made it sound a lot more dramatic Boris, apparently they have relaxed the rules for what the reasons they have for checking these things now and some of the reasons cant be passed of as "national security".

The guy presenting the show (now I might have heard this wrong) stated that there are roughly 8000 new issues of which qualify them to look into peoples personal stuff, and the chances are that were all going to have our stuff looked at etc.

Not sure if I've made it clearer or not as I only heard part of the interview mate.

I touched on this in a post that related to the US patriot Act the other day John.

Our Goverment, along with other 'allies', have had the capability to snoop on you and your communications whenever they wanted for years. Do you think that just because there is roughly 8000 new issues of which qualify that they've only started doing this?

See this Echelon wiki link for more basic details... e.g.

ECHELON was capable of interception and content inspection of telephone calls, fax, e-mail and other data traffic globally through the interception of communication bearers including satellite transmission, public switched telephone networks and microwave links.

At the end of the day, unless you've got something to hide you've got nothing to worry about.

The Old Tolbooth
I touched on this in a post that related to the US patriot Act the other day John.

Our Goverment, along with other 'allies', have had the capability to snoop on you and your communications whenever they wanted for years. Do you think that just because there is roughly 8000 new issues of which qualify that they've only started doing this?

See this Echelon wiki link for more basic details... e.g.

At the end of the day, unless you've got something to hide you've got nothing to worry about.

Thats very true Legend, (you must love it when folk call you that :D) but what I object to is the sensitive emails I send to people regarding the job I do, as far as I'm concerned, that information should be between myself and my client, and no one else, unless my client decides he/she would like to share it with anyone else, thats up to them, however I have no wish to share what I know about my clients with anyone, and I don't think they should be able to pry without consent.

I have no problem at all with them looking at my everyday fun emails etc, silly jokes that get passed on and things like that, as like you say, I have nothing to hide so should have nothing to worry about, and I already know about text messages being read by the phone companies, because one operator at Vodafone told me the content of my text messages about 6 years ago, and I remember being genuinely shocked at the time.

Thats very true Legend, (you must love it when folk call you that :D)

Yes! :cheese:

but what I object to is the sensitive emails I send to people regarding the job I do, as far as I'm concerned, that information should be between myself and my client, and no one else, unless my client decides he/she would like to share it with anyone else, thats up to them, however I have no wish to share what I know about my clients with anyone, and I don't think they should be able to pry without consent.

I have no problem at all with them looking at my everyday fun emails etc, silly jokes that get passed on and things like that, as like you say, I have nothing to hide so should have nothing to worry about, and I already know about text messages being read by the phone companies, because one operator at Vodafone told me the content of my text messages about 6 years ago, and I remember being genuinely shocked at the time.

TBH John, whilst they could read your, mine and everyone elses emails, i'd be surprised if they ever do. It'll be a computer that searches for keywords and only flags up an email for attention by an actual human when one of those keywords appears.

Try a wee test :). Draft two emails from say your work email address to your home email address, one just banal generalities like a shopping list etc and the other a wee story incorporating words like bombing Torness nuclear power station and assassinating Prince William.

Once both are prepared, send them as close together as you can and see if they both arrive at the same time. I'd wager that the 'terrorist-esque' email takes a lot longer to arrive.

TBH, i wouldn't be surprised if this post/thread is probably being read by someone at GCHQ just for including keywords..... but i'm sure Dexter won't mind being dragged down to Paddington Green for a wee afternoon chat :)

Yes! :cheese:

TBH John, whilst they could read your, mine and everyone elses emails, i'd be surprised if they ever do. It'll be a computer that searches for keywords and only flags up an email for attention by an actual human when one of those keywords appears.

Try a wee test :). Draft two emails from say your work email address to your home email address, one just banal generalities like a shopping list etc and the other a wee story incorporating words like bombing Torness nuclear power station and assassinating Prince William.

Once both are prepared, send them as close together as you can and see if they both arrive at the same time. I'd wager that the 'terrorist-esque' email takes a lot longer to arrive.

TBH, i wouldn't be surprised if this post/thread is probably being read by someone at GCHQ just for including keywords..... but i'm sure Dexter won't mind being dragged down to Paddington Green for a wee afternoon chat :)

This is what heard on a documentary a few months back,i dont think we are being stalked 24/7

lol

The Old Tolbooth
This is what heard on a documentary a few months back,i dont think we are being stalked 24/7

Bugger, I like the idea of having my very own stalker :D

Have you tried sending those test emails yet John? :P

I will stalk you if the price is right ;)

Sheriff Fatman
It'll be a computer that searches for keywords and only flags up an email for attention by an actual human when one of those keywords appears.

That is one method, the other is that if the mail server is on British soil they can demand your provider give them access to every single item on that server that relates to you. Oh and the provider isn't allowed to tell you.

One solution is to use a mail provider that has it's servers in Canada as that would be illegal there.

siegementality
Have you tried sending those test emails yet John? :P

He did. I heard he popped out this afternoon for a coffee and bacon and brie baquette when a blackend out Range Rover pulled up and four spooks put a hood over his head and bundled him into the back. Apparently he is now at some remote farmhouse standing in a bucket of water with electrical wires attached to his testicles.

It has nothing to do with the e-mail he sent re acts of terrorism, just what should happen to every financial advisor:)

He did. I heard he popped out this afternoon for a coffee and bacon and brie baquette when a blackend out Range Rover pulled up and four spooks put a hood over his head and bundled him into the back. Apparently he is now at some remote farmhouse standing in a bucket of water with electrical wires attached to his testicles.

It has nothing to do with the e-mail he sent re acts of terrorism, just what should happen to every financial advisor:)

:cheese:

We shouldn't laugh though.

I had a look at his profile and it says his last activity was: Last Activity: Today 12:51 PM. Maybe his baws are wired to mains at this very moment. ;)

Everybody loves Baz
:cheese:

We shouldn't laugh though.

I had a look at his profile and it says his last activity was: Last Activity: Today 12:51 PM. Maybe his baws are wired to mains at this very moment. ;)

Don't think this was the kind of jump John would've been looking for tonight i'd imagine ?:wacko:

The Old Tolbooth
Don't think this was the kind of jump John would've been looking for tonight i'd imagine ?:wacko:

Just wanted to say hi from Saughton Prison, it's apparently my turn on the pc for 15 minutes.

Cant wait until my turn in the barrel :confused:

davemclaren

I'm paid ?2 an hour by MI5 to read every post on here...so watch what you are saying. :rolleyes:

I'm paid ?2 an hour by MI5 to read every post on here...so watch what you are saying. :rolleyes:

Its ok for you! I'm paid ?2 an hour to read every post on hobos.net. I'm now fluent in all types of grunting and snorting.

davemclaren
Its ok for you! I'm paid ?2 an hour to read every post on hobos.net. I'm now fluent in all types of grunting and snorting.

We'll get you out one day Agent Sparky... :eek:

Archived