wolves fans and berra

wheatfield to sheffield

wheatfield to sheffield

I play football with a couple of Wolves fans, who are both pretty knowledgeable guys, and I asked them last night what they thought about potentially signing Christophe Berra.

They are completely and utterly un-bothered. They don't seem to think it's a big deal - they had hardly heard the news and it certainly wasn't a hot topic for them.

Hearts captain, internationalist, heads for the English second tier and no-one cares.

cosanostra

I know Hearts fans who are not that bothered.

The guy is okay but clearly nothing special. I'd be staggered if anyone wanted to pay 2m for him.

Seymour M Hersh
I play football with a couple of Wolves fans, who are both pretty knowledgeable guys, and I asked them last night what they thought about potentially signing Christophe Berra.

They are completely and utterly un-bothered. They don't seem to think it's a big deal - they had hardly heard the news and it certainly wasn't a hot topic for them.

Hearts captain, internationalist, heads for the English second tier and no-one cares.

3 minutes in a friendly, hmmm. Personally I'd take ?2m for him. Average player and not got the gravitas for club captaincy at this moment.

Gigolo-Aunt

Im not that bothered.

Anything over a million I would be delighted with.

Russell Anderson would be on my radar to replace him.

Jambosimmy

yep agreed 2million. i would be biting the hand off for that. he is no big deal. his heart is in 100% but he is just not that good!!

cosanostra
Im not that bothered.

That's a good shout.

If we had a manager in place, that would not be an unrealistic signing.

Molineux Man

I mentioned on the other Berra thread that the majority of Wolves fans are 50/50.I think a lot of that is based on negative comments on this forum and the like!

Although we've got a very wealthy benefactor,?2m is a lot of money and I don't think that that many are convinced that Berra represents good value for money.Where is the real competition for his signature? That seems to say a lot for me.

McCarthy has not got a very good track record of signing decent CH's for us(despite signing excellent players in most other positions) and a fair few think that this potential move could be another mistake.

There are a fair few CH's in England - Danny ****tu,Anthony Gardner,Jay Demerit for example- that I think Wolves fans would probably prefer.

Maybe it's all based on ignorance and not seeing him play....

I mentioned on the other Berra thread that the majority of Wolves fans are 50/50.I think a lot of that is based on negative comments on this forum and the like!

I wouldnt pay much heed to most of what is said on this forum as regards making your mind up about our reaction to Berra leaving

Every issue always come down to whether or not you think our club owner is a tool

Those that do think it is crazy that it seems every sellable asset is up for grabs and damn the football

Those that dont say we are a selling club and it doesnt really matter and its a good price - even though we dont have a replacement and our master has not replaced any player sold with an equal or better player since Burley left (our only proper manager in a 3 year ownership slog and that was only for 6 months).

At the end of the day the current Scotland manager rates him, the previous Scotland manager appeared to rate him and your boss rates him

These are much more valid opinion bases than the split camp that is JKB

Berra is without doubt one of the most skillful, cultured centre backs currently playing in Europe. ?2million is a bargain price for someone who will certainly be a star on the champions league stage later in his career.

Tell your mates!

john brownlee

how many everton fans knew about Alex Young when he was at Hearts

same could be said for Dave Mackay. In engerland the scottish league is a footnote at the bottom of sport pages

Most people in engerland were asked to name four scottish teams most would stuggle but the ones that do would come up with rankers ,smellic Hearts of midlothian and Queen of the south, I will give the reason in a later thread

Most Wolves fans I know would be quite at home with the general sentiments on this board.

General disillusionment , apathy, anger , chucking their season tickets etc.

I was speaking to some last night and not one of them was aware of (interested in) the Berra story.

Guest JamboRobbo

same could be said for Dave Mackay. In engerland the scottish league is a footnote at the bottom of sport pages

Most people in engerland were asked to name four scottish teams most would stuggle but the ones that do would come up with rankers ,smellic Hearts of midlothian and Queen of the south, I will give the reason in a later thread

Please tell us now. I'm almost passing out with the anticipation.

Drylaw Hearts

I can hardly wait.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ek8Gex_NYwQ

The People's Chimp

Make sure you title it "queen of the south thread (NHC)" so we don't miss it.

Im not that bothered.

And Darren Barr from Falkirk.

Come on, hurry up - I've been moist all day.

I think some manager's or scouts will see Berra as a bit special due to the pace he possesses. How many other centre halfs in the UK have the same height & pace as him?

I know that does not make him a great player, we can look at Jose for proof of that, but it makes him stand out from the crowd as a centre half in my opinion

Christophe Berra is a better player than Andy Webster was at the same stage of development. I don't know who Wolves would play alongside him, but if he is a relatively experienced defender then I would think it is a fantastic deal.

He will get much better.

Im not that bothered.

Agree with that. ?2m for Berra is an absolute steal.

To be honest I wouldn't really get upset if we sold any of our players. I am more worried about the players we are missing out on as we look for a manager.

Christophe Berra is a better player than Andy Webster was at the same stage of development. I don't know who Wolves would play alongside him, but if he is a relatively experienced defender then I would think it is a fantastic deal.

He will get much better.

I like Berra and cannot post my feelings on Webster here but I can't agree with that.

I know Hearts fans who are not that bothered.

The guy is okay but clearly nothing special. I'd be staggered if anyone wanted to pay 2m for him.

I agree. I cannot believe that even in the current market, anyone would pay anything like that.

Rawrrrrrrr

Tbh hearts fans clearly have far too big an opinion of our own players

The majority of them are nobodies, Im sure if you went to most premiership games or championship games and handed them the hearts team list the response to most would be "who"

You would probably get the same with a lot of the OF players

The english are very ignorant of the scottish games

I bet sunderland fans would happily come back for more though, Gordon has well and truly proven the english wrong

I play football with a couple of Wolves fans, who are both pretty knowledgeable guys.

Which specific areas are they knowledgeable about?

There's a reason why they're not excited, which is because Berra's at best a slightly above average player in a poor league.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

Who?

Tbh hearts fans clearly have far too big an opinion of our own players

The majority of them are nobodies, Im sure if you went to most premiership games or championship games and handed them the hearts team list the response to most would be "who"

You would probably get the same with a lot of the OF players

The english are very ignorant of the scottish games

I bet sunderland fans would happily come back for more though, Gordon has well and truly proven the english wrong

I don't disagree Prancer but similarly if you handed any Scottish football fan a teamsheet for the majority of championship sides I'm reasonably confident most would also say "who"?

john brownlee
Who?

Exactly (note the deliberate mistake)

that's just the point of how much they know about scottish football and its clubs. Of course we in our infinite knowledge, think that the world should see scottish football as we see it.

I thought the nobettes would have worked it already but no (not aimed at you Alloa) I got banned the last time cause one of them complained

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Exactly (note the deliberate mistake)

that's just the point of how much they know about scottish football and its clubs. Of course we in our infinite knowledge, think that the world should see scottish football as we see it.

I thought the nobettes would have worked it already but no (not aimed at you Alloa) I got banned the last time cause one of them complained

Ah.

Apologies, I just get really annoyed (as probably every other Hearts fan does) when people make that mistake! But I see now you were making a point.

Archived