Milan to be allowed into the CL through the back door? (NHC)

shaun.lawson

vegas-voss

Yeah a total joke and why Milan.Why not for one year only give the place to a lower ranked country.

shaun.lawson
Yeah a total joke and why Milan.Why not for one year only give the place to a lower ranked country.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Charlie-Brown

Surely the precedent set 2 years ago when Juventus were denied entry was that the lower placed teams in the league all moved up a place so Levski should get in.....

No Nonsense

Seems to me that this is morally wrong considering Milan would benefit from a wrongdoing when they have hardly been transparent themselves over the years. Berlusconi pulling strings again if you ask me. Surely it should just go to the next team in the portugese league.

Absolute disgrace. Seems like that post yesterday about sport being corrupt to the core is ringing true!

Midloth_Iain

The C.L. will have lost all credibility if this is allowed and UEFA should hang their heads in shame.

The C.L. will have lost all credibility if this is allowed and UEFA should hang their heads in shame.

It will be the weight of 'soiled' cash in their pockets that's keeping their heads bowed :sad:

The games a bogey lads, might as well go up the park, get the jerseys down, and play some good honest 'for the love of the game' footie

How can one of Bulgaria's most successful clubs be denied to play in their own league? That sounds diabolical :confused:

23352244.jpg

The game is a farce. Anyting can be bought now. Milan should still be serving a European ban along with Fiorentina, Lazio and Juve IMO.

shaun.lawson

The Champions League was expanded to its current format in time for the start of the 1999/2000 season. Entirely coincidentally, when UEFA announced it, Milan, despite spending a small fortune, had comically managed to finish first 11th, then 10th in Serie A. My belief at the time was, as well as trying to head off a breakaway Super League, the governing body were, more than anything, looking to appease Silvio Berlusconi, one of the loudest noises behind a breakaway, who plainly believed his club had a divine right to play in the continent's leading competition, come what may.

Granted, Milan did at least enter the 99/0 competition, in which they humiliatingly finished bottom of their group, so not even reaching the UEFA Cup (another sop brought in to appease the Berlusconis of this world) having regained the Italian title - but only after an astonishing series of ludicrous refereeing decisions and dubious winners deep into injury time enabled them to finish ahead of a far superior Lazio. This was the period when Luciano Moggi's power was at its height: power which almost led to Juventus doing the exact same thing the following season. But the truth was, Milan were ****e - and UEFA petrified what their owner might do.

So it was that seven years on, they were quite shamefully allowed into the CL despite being implicated in the corruption scandal in Italy: and now this. Bear in mind that they've only got such a good coefficient in the first place because they went on to win the 2006/7 tournament, which they should never have been playing in in the first place - but the reasons being given are an utter nonsense. The CL has become a cartel of the rich and very rich in recent years: the same dozen or so clubs dominate year after year. But if this happens, UEFA and Michel Platini will have abandoned all pretence as to it being a truly competitive event, in which all clubs have a chance of making their mark; and you may as well close the door to anyone else and make it an annual exhibition.

shaun.lawson
23352244.jpg

The game is a farce. Anyting can be bought now. Milan should still be serving a European ban along with Fiorentina, Lazio and Juve IMO.

Juve and Milan, definitely - I'm not sure about those two, though. I felt they were harshly dealt with, mainly because the authorities had to be seen to be tough, and there was a lot less chance of them fighting back than there was Milan. Fiorentina especially fought tooth and nail to take the final CL place ahead of Roma in 05/6, only to see it taken away again by the courts - and one of the biggest reasons I was so pleased to see them finish 4th this season was that it finally put this right.

Of course, they'll only lose in the qualifiers anyway: it wouldn't be Fiorentina if they didn't!

23352244.jpg

Aye and the tally's should'nae huv been allowed ti compete in the last world cup or this years euro champs. How long have they been up to guises like this?... ask yer granda !!!

This is a non story and has been dismissed as such:

UEFA CL Admission Rules:

Article 1.01:

UEFA member associations may enter a certain number of clubs for the

competition, in accordance with their position in the coefficient rankings in

Annex Ia, drawn up in accordance with Annex II of these regulations.

However, no association may enter more than four clubs for the competition.

These rankings also determine the stage at which clubs join the competition.

Article 1.07:

A club which is not admitted to the competition shall be replaced by the next

best-placed club in the top domestic league championship of the same

national association, provided it fulfils the admission criteria. In this case, the

access list for the UEFA Club Competitions (Annex Ia) will be adjusted

accordingly

Bilan v Queen of the South it is then ;)

Ivan Drago

UEFA CL Admission Rules:

Article 1.01:

However, no association may enter more than four clubs for the competition. has this not already been flaunted?

Article 1.07:

national association, and this one?provided it fulfils the admission criteria. In this case, the

accordingly

Liverpool anyone? (different circumstances altogether i know)

jamboinglasgow

I honestly cant see why UEFA have not yet just dropped the pretense that the CL is a honest competition and bring in the same big teams automaticly in every year.

It sadden me's that the game I love is so corrupt. I just wish there is something we could do but sadly I dont think there is any.

shaun.lawson

UEFA CL Admission Rules:

Article 1.01:

However, no association may enter more than four clubs for the competition.

Article 1.07:

national association, provided it fulfils the admission criteria. In this case, the

accordingly

Cheers for that. I sincerely hope you're right - though struggle to see how even UEFA could get around the above, especially after the fuss made in 2005 over Liverpool's entry.

John Findlay
I honestly cant see why UEFA have not yet just dropped the pretense that the CL is a honest competition and bring in the same big teams automaticly in every year.

It sadden me's that the game I love is so corrupt. I just wish there is something we could do but sadly I dont think there is any.

In a nutshell.

The G14 disbanding last season was just another smokescreen in what is the smoke and mirrors of modern football.

Porto although Uefa Cup and Champions League and Runners up, runners up and runners up winners a mere four and five years ago play in an association)Portuguese) who are regarded as on of the smaller associations therefore do not have the clout of the English, French(possibly), German, Italian and Spanish FAs who have Uefa sewn up between them. Another reason why the bigot borthers would jump south at the drop of a pin.

John

shaun.lawson
Liverpool anyone? (different circumstances altogether i know)

These rules were brought in in 2005 though CCP - specifically to remove the loopholes which led to such a farcical situation over Liverpool and Everton's entries. So I think interista's right - and bloody well hope so too!

Ivan Drago
These rules were brought in in 2005 though CCP - specifically to remove the loopholes which led to such a farcical situation over Liverpool and Everton's entries. So I think interista's right - and bloody well hope so too!

ah fair dues.

Lets face it though, if UEFA want to get round them they will....

Cheers for that. I sincerely hope you're right - though struggle to see how even UEFA could get around the above, especially after the fuss made in 2005 over Liverpool's entry.

The only way Milan could get into next season's CL would be if, say, Fiorentina were found guilty of some irregularity and kicked out!

John Findlay
The only way Milan could get into next season's CL would be if, say, Fiorentina were found guilty of some irregularity and kicked out!

Burlesconi will have his henchmen digging as we type.

John

Surely the precedent set 2 years ago when Juventus were denied entry was that the lower placed teams in the league all moved up a place so Levski should get in.....

You'd think so NMH, but this is UEFA we are talking about here, the (joint) second most corrupt organisation in the world behind the Olympics Committee!!!

Just shows how much they don?t want the smaller teams in this competition. Elitist in the extreme IMO!

Prince Buaben

Weren't Liverpool not entered under England in 05?? Meaning they wouldnt be kept away from the other English teams? Which of course they drew chelsea??

rudi must stay
Burlesconi will have his henchmen digging as we type.

John

probably, just like he did when they were going to get relegated for match fixing then suddenly everything was fine and they got away with having a few points dropped..

shaun.lawson
Weren't Liverpool not entered under England in 05?? Meaning they wouldnt be kept away from the other English teams? Which of course they drew chelsea??

It was complicated though. UEFA, in their infinite wisdom, had failed to state in the regulations that in the event of the CL winners finishing outside their domestic league's qualifying berths, they should take the place of the side in the lowest of these positions (ie. Everton). Meanwhile, both the Toffees and the Premier League played a blinder, refusing to even acknowledge the possibility that Everton should forfeit their place, and seeking to embarrass UEFA should Liverpool win the trophy - which is precisely what happened.

After all, there was no way on earth the European governing body were ever going to prevent the holders from defending their trophy - and in the aftermath, UEFA, at length, tightened the regulations. Bear in mind that there had already been a precedent: Real Madrid won the CL in 2000 but finished 5th, but the Spanish FA refused to nominate 4th placed Zaragoza as a CL entrant. Poor old Zaragoza never really recovered, were relegated a couple of years later, and have just gone down again - but what's astonishing is that UEFA didn't heed this example, and stipulate that the European Champions should always take precedence over the side finishing fourth.

They have now though - and as interista's said, there's no way Milan, having finished outside the qualifying criteria, can get round it - no matter how much Berlusconi tries to bribe them with!

Archived