Fear of Flying

AlphonseCapone

John Gentleman

Haven't read the whole thread........but....

Having clocked up zillions of air miles I thought I had become fearless.  That was until I experienced an instrumental night landing at the old Kai Tek airport in Hong Kong, somewhere in the mid 1990s IIRC. It was pitch black and absolutely hosing down rain. I was in a windae seat but couldn't see a thing because of the conditions. The only sensations were of the aircraft banking left, then right, followed by a drop in altitude. Rinse and repeat for about 10 minutes (though it seemed longer).  As we got closer to the runway (about 500 ft AGL), all I could see were (lit-up) multi-storey apartments filling up the window. You could almost see the folk inside boiling their pot noodles, they were that close!

After that experience, flying presented no more fears for me. As others have said, It's all the bullshit that goes on prior to departure which is emotionally testing (you're assumed to be a terrorist unless you can prove otherwise).

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
luckyBatistuta

Think the 1st Officer who landed the 767 I was on(so not a small plane) the other day into Heathrow, fancied shitting a few on board up upon landing.

Last 500-600 feet, he was constantly adjusting the thrust. I know when landing a little is applied now & again, but it seemed for a second or two as if we were aborting landing & he was about to apply full power & start climbing again.

Looking around, I could see a few people with confused looks.

Said to the good lady, that this'll not be a smooth touchdown.

Sure enough, if someone was wearing false teeth on the plane, they wouldn't have been on landing. It was like he landed it like a Harrier.

No cross-winds. Odd landing.

I've been on a couple like that and always thought that I wouldn't like to be the next passengers on this plane, as he's probably knackered something :lol:

John Gentleman

It was actually pretty good. The difference in those huge planes as far as sounds and movement in the plane is like night and day compared to the usual planes I'm in. Plus the entertainment and service makes it a bit easier to relax.

We got a bit of turbulence from a cyclone in the Indian Ocean (not the one that battered East Australia) but even that wasn't too bad. Dare say I may have made progress in my fear!

No surprise, really. Modern long-haul aircraft are pressurised to around 5000 ft. Older aircraft were pressurised to 10 000 ft. That makes a huge difference to how you feel when you reach your destination after a long flight.

Салатные палочки

Haven't read the whole thread........but....

Having clocked up zillions of air miles I thought I had become fearless.  That was until I experienced an instrumental night landing at the old Kai Tek airport in Hong Kong, somewhere in the mid 1990s IIRC. It was pitch black and absolutely hosing down rain. I was in a windae seat but couldn't see a thing because of the conditions. The only sensations were of the aircraft banking left, then right, followed by a drop in altitude. Rinse and repeat for about 10 minutes (though it seemed longer).  As we got closer to the runway (about 500 ft AGL), all I could see were (lit-up) multi-storey apartments filling up the window. You could almost see the folk inside boiling their pot noodles, they were that close!

After that experience, flying presented no more fears for me. As others have said, It's all the bullshit that goes on prior to departure which is emotionally testing (you're assumed to be a terrorist unless you can prove otherwise).

Would love to have experienced a Kai Tak landing.  My Mum's uncle stayed in Hong Kong years ago and said the same thing, seeing people hanging washing on their balconies as you past at 200mph.  Unbelievable.  

Craig Gordons Gloves

Would love to have experienced a Kai Tak landing.  My Mum's uncle stayed in Hong Kong years ago and said the same thing, seeing people hanging washing on their balconies as you past at 200mph.  Unbelievable.  

Landing in Kathmandhu was quite something, although you're not flying past folks windaes you're also flying in between mountains, take off was also rather interesting.

I've posted this link before:

https://www.flightradar24.com/45.15,-2.52/5

Those are the planes that are in the air right now.  Zoom in on Europe. Each of those wee yellow airplanes represent a flight that has taken off safely and, in 99.9999999999% of the cases, will land safely.  Much, much safer than being in a car.

Relax and enjoy the flight.

thats *** amazing..

best new internet find since someone posted the nuclear bomb blast radius website.. top stuff..

Craig Gordons Gloves

thats *** amazing..

best new internet find since someone posted the nuclear bomb blast radius website.. top stuff..

Be careful - it's possible to lose an hour or so of your life clicking on planes to see where they're going and also using the 3D to see what they're seeing. It's magic! You can even download it on your phone and point it to the sky when a plane goes over and it will tell you where that plane is going and where it's from. 

AlphonseCapone

On the one hand, all these stories are giving me the fear again but on the other hand you are all here to tell the stories so...

• 2 weeks later...
AlphonseCapone

So, flew from Hamilton Island to Melbourne, two legs, first in a propeller plane. It was loud but not too bad, I had some fear beforehand. Second flight was a boeing so that was fine.

Flew back home today, well yesterday, who even knows right now. Second leg of the journey from Doha to Edinburgh had been smooth. Then we were coming in to land, I was watching the screen with the map, we were 1000ft from landing, even seen Tynecastle from the window, then from no where the pilot applies the thrust, the plane speeds up dramatically and we start climbing back up to 4000ft. I'm absolutely shitting myself. Turns out a plane that was taking off just before we landed had to abort its takeoff so it was still on the runway. The pilot eventually came on the radio to inform us we carried out a roll around procedure (more like fill your pants procedure).

Unbelievable ability these planes have to basically pull back up into the sky from that position.

luckyBatistuta

So, flew from Hamilton Island to Melbourne, two legs, first in a propeller plane. It was loud but not too bad, I had some fear beforehand. Second flight was a boeing so that was fine.

Flew back home today, well yesterday, who even knows right now. Second leg of the journey from Doha to Edinburgh had been smooth. Then we were coming in to land, I was watching the screen with the map, we were 1000ft from landing, even seen Tynecastle from the window, then from no where the pilot applies the thrust, the plane speeds up dramatically and we start climbing back up to 4000ft. I'm absolutely shitting myself. Turns out a plane that was taking off just before we landed had to abort its takeoff so it was still on the runway. The pilot eventually came on the radio to inform us we carried out a roll around procedure (more like fill your pants procedure).

Unbelievable ability these planes have to basically pull back up into the sky from that position.

I'd love to go to Australia and Japan, but no way I'm making that flight. Hate flying, but do it every year, but 11 hour flights have been my max so far. Glad to hear you landed safely so you can cast your vote on the General Election poll :wink:

The Real Maroonblood

Next March Qantas will fly direct from Perth to London in 17 hours.

Some time in the air.

Alwayssunnyingorgie

Some time in the air.

Could drive it in 6-7hrs

AlphonseCapone

I'd love to go to Australia and Japan, but no way I'm making that flight. Hate flying, but do it every year, but 11 hour flights have been my max so far. Glad to hear you landed safely so you can cast your vote on the General Election poll :wink:

China (Shanghai) was two separate 7 hour flights so maybe 7 and 9 for Japan. Might make it more manageable?

I've already voted in it :/ trying to avoid the main thread though...

AlphonseCapone

Some time in the air.

Ouch, that's a tough journey.

luckyBatistuta

China (Shanghai) was two separate 7 hour flights so maybe 7 and 9 for Japan. Might make it more manageable?

I've already voted in it :/ trying to avoid the main thread though...

More chance of me flying to Japan than you managing to stay off that thread :lol:

AlphonseCapone

More chance of me flying to Japan than you managing to stay off that thread :lol:

True :laugh:

Bungalow Bill

Some time in the air.

That's a horrendous amount of time in the air.

Will be interesting to see if people choose Perth as a stopover as opposed to Singapore.

Archived