Bono's solution to crisis in the Middle East

Ray Gin

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/apr/13/bono-send-amy-schumer-chris-rock-fight-islamic-state-isis

Bono was speaking in front of a Senate subcommittee on Tuesday 12 April, during a wide-ranging discussion on the Middle East and the refugee crisis. He said: ?Don?t laugh. I think comedy should be deployed. It?s like, you speak violence, you speak their language. But you laugh at them, when they?re goose-stepping down the street, and it takes away their power. So, I?m suggesting that the Senate send in Amy Schumer, and Chris Rock, and Sacha Baron Cohen, thank you.?

:rofl:

I had to double check the article date to see if it was from 1st April. The man is utterly deluded.

If he thinks comedy would sort it out, why send Amy schumer and Sacha Baron Cohen?

Unless he fooled them all that his real name was Ali g, im afraid that double barreled surname wouldn't go down too well in Mosul. Although bono wouldn't have to go that far to get a rough sense of the views towards those pointy horned arch-manipulators.

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news/c4-survey-and-documentary-reveals-what-british-muslims-really-think

FenderJaguar7

So Bono's solution to war in the middle east is to send in a world famous Jewish comedian?

Riiiiiiiight...

He is rather fond of making controversial statements on the Middle East. I wouldnt be surprised if he is moving up a target list in a tent somewhere in the caliphate.or maybe they just dismiss him as an irrelevant self publicising arsehole like the rest of us do.

Ibrahim Tall

Why the **** are a senate subcommittee discussing peace in the Middle East with a shite 'rock star' in the first place? :laugh:

Is the world really that ****ed.

Nookie Bear

Why the **** are a senate subcommittee discussing peace in the Middle East with a shite 'rock star' in the first place? :laugh:

Is the world really that messed.

This is a good point.

The whole thing sounds like something from Brass Eye or The Day Today.

Maiden Gorgie

Bono to crawl up his own rectum and never come out = world peace.

Solidarity brother. 

With Tony Blair as a Middle East peace envoy I con confirm

that the world really is that messed .

doctor jambo

Send U2 to play Raqqa- ISIS would be pushing past the gay folk to throw themselves off the buildings...job done

Seymour M Hersh

Heard it on radio 2 this morning but didn't realise it was bonehead speaking.  The media really need to stop giving roasters like that any airtime or print space.

I read it, and it looked daft.  I listened to it, and it made more sense.  Tone of voice and body language can convey meaning that the printed word can miss, and when he was listing off the names you could tell that both he and Senator Shaheen knew he was being a tad tongue in cheek.

But perhaps it's just easier to dismiss the guy because of who he is.  He's a well-known singer who for more than 30 years has had things to say about political stuff of one kind or another.  A lot of people seem to think it would be better if he was a singer who never opened his mouth about any kind of political stuff.  I did notice the line quoted at the end of the article about how aid could play a role in addressing violent extremism.  Maybe it would be better if Bono shut up and didn't say that, but I think it's no harm that it was said.

That was my first thought as well. Surely there are better qualified people than Bono kicking about to talk to.

Nookie Bear

I read it, and it looked daft. I listened to it, and it made more sense. Tone of voice and body language can convey meaning that the printed word can miss, and when he was listing off the names you could tell that both he and Senator Shaheen knew he was being a tad tongue in cheek.

But perhaps it's just easier to dismiss the guy because of who he is. He's a well-known singer who for more than 30 years has had things to say about political stuff of one kind or another. A lot of people seem to think it would be better if he was a singer who never opened his mouth about any kind of political stuff. I did notice the line quoted at the end of the article about how aid could play a role in addressing violent extremism. Maybe it would be better if Bono shut up and didn't say that, but I think it's no harm that it was said.

Nah, he dips into politics when he feels like it, in between lucrative tours and suing folk to return a hat.

Archived