Train Costs to Birmingham

babywhalo

I've got to go down to Birmingham at the end of June and had planned on getting the train. However the prices are about ?120 for the date I've got to go. I had thought they'd be about half that!

I have checked a few dates around that time and they're all about that price, but there is the odd ticket at about ?80.

Is this the standard price or will I somehow get it cheaper if I hold off? The plane is ?85, but I'm not a big fan of flying.

Sexton Hardcastle

Done it a fair amount recently. Notable change in prices since the turn of the year.

There tends to be Cheaper trains at certain times. Like mid afternoon or mid morning.

Also worth looking going via Newcastle rather than Carlisle. Might save a few quid.

Done it a fair amount recently. Notable change in prices since the turn of the year.

There tends to be Cheaper trains at certain times. Like mid afternoon or mid morning.

Also worth looking going via Newcastle rather than Carlisle. Might save a few quid.

Have actually looked into going via a few places (even London!) but can't find a saving.

I'm fixed on one of the early trains on a Friday so that probably doesn't help.

There's so many trains that go there each day, I'm amazed they can charge as much as they do

I normally pay about ?40-?50 but thats one way use trainline to book

They charge a fee for cats transactions don't they? Book via any train company and it'll be cheaper, everyone has access to the same tickets.

William H. Bonney

I've got to go down to Birmingham at the end of June and had planned on getting the train. However the prices are about ?120 for the date I've got to go. I had thought they'd be about half that!

I have checked a few dates around that time and they're all about that price, but there is the odd ticket at about ?80.

Is this the standard price or will I somehow get it cheaper if I hold off? The plane is ?85, but I'm not a big fan of flying.

Possibly to far away. I was selling tickets today and dates past 16th june weren't available yet.

Possibly to far away. I was selling tickets today and dates past 16th june weren't available yet.

I'm going on the 24th, which is 13 weeks away. I thought the best deals would be about 12 weeks away, so I'll keep an eye on it for a couple of weeks.

There does seem to be some tickets released but not all, so hopefully I can get them a bit cheaper

WorldChampions1902

I'm going on the 24th, which is 13 weeks away. I thought the best deals would be about 12 weeks away, so I'll keep an eye on it for a couple of weeks.

There does seem to be some tickets released but not all, so hopefully I can get them a bit cheaper

You might want to wait a few weeks before trying to book as I have found that 6-8 weeks before travelling usually gives the lowest fares on the conventional websites I.e. Trainline, Redspottedhanky and Virgin.

You will also get the best prices on the Split Ticketing website and for the potential of colossal savings, Megatrain could turn up trumps. I have booked midweek journeys from Edinburgh to Birmingham many times for less than a fiver! Yes........under ?5.00.

Train pricings are bizzare. Was just buying some for a few weeks ahead. Check singles first to see an idea of the price - ?21. Okay I think, I'll go back a page and make it a return journey and buy separate singles (it's cheaper). I check the prices again with a (separate!) return journey added - the price had gone up to 50 quid! 

There was one set of prices on The train line, another set on Scotrail and yet another on Virgin (what I ended up going with for incredibly cheap prices.)

Billy the Jambo

Train fares are an absolute joke in this country!

That's the tories and privatisation  for you

The Real Maroonblood

You might be cheaper flying.

Try Megabus.

maroongoals

Train pricings are bizzare. Was just buying some for a few weeks ahead. Check singles first to see an idea of the price - ?21. Okay I think, I'll go back a page and make it a return journey and buy separate singles (it's cheaper). I check the prices again with a (separate!) return journey added - the price had gone up to 50 quid! 

There was one set of prices on The train line, another set on Scotrail and yet another on Virgin (what I ended up going with for incredibly cheap prices.)

clear your cookies and it goes down , conning trick

That's the tories and privatisation for you

Train fares were a joke under labours government. They wouldn't go down if they were in public hands either. They would just **** my pension up instead.

I've messaged you.

Keep checking back. Prices can fluctuate quite a bit. Got a train to London through Virgin for ?17 there and ?14 back. Just need to book at the right time.

The cheapest tickets are available bang on 12 weeks before travel. You tend to be quoted much higher/the highest prices before then.

We were going to York. Looked on train line, ?60 cheaper and went first class.

clear your cookies and it goes down , conning trick

also some websites (especially holiday ones) show different prices depending upon the web browser (firefox IIRC was the cheaper one) you are using or if you are on a tablet rather than a laptop/desktop

SwindonJambo

If you can stand the coach, try National Express or Megabus. NX do loads of services to Birmingham and fares of ?10 each way are easily possible. Modern coaches are far nicer to travel on than in times past. I almost always travel North for Hearts games with them.

Hannibal Lecter

We were going to York. Looked on train line, ?60 cheaper and went first class.

Trainline is never going to be any cheaper than any of the train companies sites. They charge card & booking fees where they train companies aren't allowed to I believe and as IronJambo says all have access to the same tickets.

Sexton Hardcastle

Just paid 95 for flights in mid April.

Noticed some train tickets for around 26 each way but very selective times.

I just checked to see what an Edinburgh/Brum ticket would cost me. ?30.40. Very smug.

The Real Maroonblood

I just checked to see what an Edinburgh/Brum ticket would cost me. ?30.40. Very smug.

That's good.

The thing is modern buses are pretty comfortable.

Better call Saul

?4.60 from Currie to livingston

off topic ...but train travel costs like has been said is a joke .

SwindonJambo

That's good.

Agreed. They've hugely improved in the last 10-15 years. Most have reclining leather seats,aircon and curtains. That's usually how I get to Scotland. Imho now a viable alternative to the hugely overpriced train, if a bit slower.

That's good.

I wouldn't travel on the bus. That's for a Virgin/stagecoach train on West coast.

The Real Maroonblood

I wouldn't travel on the bus. That's for a Virgin/stagecoach train on West coast.

Your price made me thought it was the bus.

Well done at that price.

Your price made me thought it was the bus.

Well done at that price.

'Priv rate' for rail staff. A quarter price of the cheapest open ticket (off/super off-peak). In practice it's mostly free after a quick chat with the guard.

We get better treated through most of Europe where we get tickets for free, if you don't count the odd mandatory reservation fee.

Flybe given the whole market for Edin - Birmingham flights. Used to pay ?60 return, now ?180+.  Will have to check out the train too.

Archived