The Damned Utd (Dave Mackay).

janie jones

janie jones

Half way through this book, which is easily the best book about football I have read, although essential its about much more than football.

For those not familiar with it or old enough to remember the events, the book is a fictional account, written by David Peace, in the first person covering the 44 days Brian Clough was Leeds Utd manager in 1974. The story of his 44 days in charge is juxtaposed against his life and managerial career after his playing days were over leading up to taking the Leeds job. This starts with the career ending injury Clough received playing for Sunderland at the age of 28 and his time at Hartlepool and Derby.

When he took over Derby near the bottom of the old Second Division in the late 60's he built his team around Dave Mackay who he persuaded to come to Derby as a sweeper in 1968 although he was due to retire from football when playing for Spurs.

In the fictional conversation, when Clough is trying to persuade Mackay to sign for Derby, Mackay tells him he is heading home to take up the Assistant Managers job at Hearts. I just wondered if anyone knows if there is any truth in it. Most of the book is based on facts and events that have been meticulously researched and the author has done an amazing job in getting into the head of Clough.

Anyone who can win the league with Derby and Forest and win two European Cups with Forest must have been some manager. As with many people who achieved great things in sport Clough fought his own demons throughout much of his later life but he comes across as quite likeable in an obnoxious way. Anyway a brilliant book. Read it!

Much truth in the rumours, the Evening News has Dave installed as Manager before Derby swooped.

There were rumours at the time of certain problems with the question of unpaid bookie debts which surfaced, but who knows?

I bet McKay wouldn't have taken any crap from oiur wanderless leader!

WorldChampions1902

I wrote a fanzine article on Dave Mackay a wee whilst ago and did quite a bit of research. From what I gleaned, Clough drove down to London and met with Bill Nicholson during a Spurs training session and asked permission to speak with Mackay. Nicholson told Cloughie he was wasting his time as he was returning to Edinburgh to manage Hearts. Clough charmed his way into speaking with DMc and the rest as they say is history.

All this is covered in an early Brian Clough Biography so it is likely to be fairly accurate (?). I'll see if I can dig out my original article.

lost in leith

Agree that the Damned United is a great read.

Dave Mackay covers the episode in his autobiography. His take was that Hearts wanted him to be player-manager. He wasn't keen on playing for Hearts again when he was past his best. As he was dithering Coughie stepped in and the rest is history.

Just read 'The Real Mackay' by the man himself and he confirms that he was about to rejoin Hearts but was afraid that he would no longer live up to his reputation so when Clough and Derby came along he jumped at it.

I would recommend Dave's book as an insight into football in Britain in the 50s and 60s.

I really enjoyed the book too, read it a couple of months ago and have spent ages 'youtube'ing cloughie since.

it's being made into a film too...hopefully better than the rest of the football biog stuff thats been done, it seems to have the beginings of a good cast

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1226271/

WorldChampions1902
I wrote a fanzine article on Dave Mackay a wee whilst ago and did quite a bit of research. ................................. I'll see if I can dig out my original article.

Och Aye, Dave Mackay

** When I think aboot the auld days,

What went oan in Edinburgh toon,

Hearts gawn through a bad phase,

And looked like going doon,

God couldnae let that happen,

Or watch auld reekie cry,

On speaking to his Angels,

He sent Hearts Dave Mackay.

These were the opening lines of a dedication composed by lifelong Hearts fan Ronald Macdonald (!), who was privileged to have watched a very special talent play in the famous maroon jersey. A dedication to a player who even today, many football followers regard as one of the greatest the UK has ever produced.

I was honoured to be in the company of 50?s Hearts legend Dave Mackay at a Hearts Supporters Club function, not long after our 1998 Scottish Cup win. The Master of Ceremonies stood up to introduce the honoured guest and after providing a bit of background to his seven-year Tynecastle career, he went through his carefully-researched script to spell out each of the honours he had gained in 20 years as a player:- a Scottish League Winners medal; a Scottish Cup Winners medal and two Scottish League Cup Winners medals with Hearts; a Football League Winners medal; three FA Cup Winners medals and a European Cup Winners Cup medal with Tottenham Hotspur and a Second Division League Winners medal from his spell at Derby County. On the International stage, Dave also acquired 22 Full Scottish International caps.

Well that?s what the M.C. should have said, but unfortunately he had only credited Dave with two FA Cup Winners medals. Dave opened his speech by light-heartedly admonishing the MC for his ?omission? and then proceeded to have the audience in fits of laughter as he related a handful of stories from the past. Dave Mackay is what is termed ?a real character?. As the Hearts great rounded off his speech, he explained his own perspective on the circumstances surrounding his ?unsolicited? transfer to Spurs all those years ago. ?I never asked for a transfer and never wanted to leave Hearts?. Hearts were and still are his number one club. Rumours that he was destined to become Hearts manager after his playing career ended never disappeared and confirmation that this was more than just speculation would later come from an unlikely source as you shall see.

Born in Edinburgh on 14 November 1934, Dave Mackay was a stand-out in his schooldays as a regular for Balgreen Primary, Carrickvale Secondary and the Gorgie-based 16th Boys Brigade. Robust tackling, outstanding passing and exemplary leadership qualities were Dave?s trademark and he was selected twice to represent Scotland at schoolboy level.

132goals1958
Much truth in the rumours, the Evening News has Dave installed as Manager before Derby swooped.

There were rumours at the time of certain problems with the question of unpaid bookie debts which surfaced, but who knows?

I can only imagine what the great man,s reaction would have been to Beslija gritting his teeth about the cold weather

WorldChampions1902

** ?I was holding back the tears as we traipsed off the velvet grass having been hammered 8-2?. Those were Dave?s words as he summed up his feelings after playing in the Scotland team that had lost to the ?Auld Enemy? at Wembley in front of 50,000 spectators. This huge crowd had turned out to watch a schoolboy international match and the date was 15th April 1950. The diminutive half-back had only featured as a reserve and came on to the pitch just before half-time with the score tied at one apiece. In the match programme that day (see image), Dave Mackay barely merited a mention as his pen-picture described the schoolboy as, ?An adaptable player who was capped against Ireland last year. Shows up best as a half and is a great favourite with Edinburgh folk?. This wouldn?t be the last time Dave would suffer humiliation at the hands of England but the experience had a lasting affect on his football career as afterwards he resolved to work hard at improving his all-round play and discipline in equal measure. It clearly was a seminal moment as his subsequent football achievements would testify. The fact that he was never to be sent off in a twenty year career would indicate that he had also been successful in exercising self-control.

Dave Mackay?s arrival at Tynecastle in April 1952 has been credited to Hearts groundsman at that time, Matthie Chalmers (see image) who took a keen interest in the development of the youngster and who was instrumental in Dave signing for the Edinburgh juvenile side, Slateford Athletic. On hearing that he had been approached by Hibs, Matthie Chalmers intervened to ensure that Dave signed for his first love, with the young prot?g? finally putting pen to paper outside a Gorgie tenement block in the presence of another Hearts great, Duncan McLure. This was the first of a number of unusual signing ?incidents? that would accompany Dave Mackay?s career.

Dave Mackay made his competitive debut for Hearts on the 7th November 1953 when he featured in the side that lost 2-1 to Clyde at home in the league. It wasn?t an auspicious start and he was subsequently dropped by manager Tommy Walker. It would be another 4 months before he was to appear in the first team again and this time he would be on the winning side. A home game against Hamilton Accies on 17 March 1954 ended with the final scoreline 3-0 in Hearts favour and Dave Mackay had played very well. At last he had established himself as a first team regular and he would never appear in the reserves again apart from when returning from injury. Hearts ended the 1953-54 season as runners-up in the league and Dave Mackay recalls that there was a real buzz around Tynecastle as the club looked forward to season 1954-55 ? the players anticipation was well justified as history would show.

Season 54-55 saw the Terrible Trio of Bauld, Wardhaugh and Conn firing on all cylinders and Dave Mackay developing a great understanding with his wing-half partner John Cumming and centre-half Freddie Glidden. In October 1954, Hearts won their first trophy for half a century with a 4-2 victory over Motherwell in the Scottish League Cup Final and Dave Mackay played a major part in bringing the trophy back to Tynecastle. The following season, Dave Mackay added a Scottish Cup winners medal to his collection and during season 57-58 the Hearts captain led his side to Hearts first League Championship in over 60 years. Season 1958-59 saw yet another League Cup victory (see image).

WorldChampions1902

During 1957 Dave won his first full Scotland cap when he played against Spain and he would add another 21 caps to that tally by the time he finished playing. Probably the one Scotland game he wished never to have taken part in occurred in 1961. With the emotional wounds from that 1950 schoolboy hammering at the hands of the ?Auld Enemy? still fresh in his memory, Dave Mackay made yet another trip to Wembley. The match programme on that particular day described Dave Mackay thus, ?The Tottenham powerhouse is the controversial character of the Scottish side. Some want him in ? some don?t. But the man who went to Tottenham from Hearts can be counted on to play his heart out when he steps into a dark blue shirt. He graduated to the Scottish team through the Under-23 side. He is never slow to come up as a sixth forward and has often grabbed a vital goal. Classed by many as the best wing-half in Britain today?. Dave Mackay?s goal-scoring prowess was recognised in that player-profile and he would score during the match. However, nobody could predict that he and his team would be on the receiving end of yet another mauling as England strolled to a 9-3 victory.

Despite Dave?s proud disciplinary record, he could never completely shake off the ?hard-man? image and this is a perception that even today, the Hearts great feels is both unfair and unjustified. For example, on the day when Hearts clinched the 1957-58 League Championship at Love Street with a 3-2 victory over St. Mirren, the Evening Dispatch ran a piece titled, ?Mackay Made Critics Eat Words? (see image). In that article the reporter speculated about when the right-half might return to the Hearts side after suffering a broken foot at Brockville three weeks earlier. He described Dave as a ?stormy petrel?, that during the season he had been, ?cheered and criticised, condemned and condoned, praised and panned? and that, ?his lusty tempestuous style in the early days of the season???., didn?t go down well at visiting grounds?. In other words, he was a very talented and effective footballer whom opposing team?s fans clearly didn?t like, but wished they had in their own side!

Manchester United manager, Alex Ferguson played against Dave Mackay and said, ?Contrary to the myths and legends that have grown up around him, Dave was never dirty or cynical. He never set out to hurt another player, although plenty of others set out to hurt him, such was his influence over a side and their destiny. Going into a tackle with Dave was like running full-on into a brick wall?. Dave Mackay was unquestionably a tough character and nothing was to emphasise this fact more than when he sustained a broken leg whilst playing for Spurs against Man United in December 1963. During his recovery from that injury he broke the same leg again in his come-back match in Spurs reserves (see image). For many footballers, this would have signalled the end of their career but not Dave Mackay, because only twelve weeks after that second fracture, he was back in training!

Dave Mackay?s departure to Spurs in March 1959 occurred totally unexpectedly, stunning the Gorgie faithful and with the benefit of hindsight, heralded the start of a long decline at Tynecastle. Dave recalls in his book, ?The Real Mackay? how on boarding the train to London (see image), he explained to the railway porter that he had just signed for Tottenham Hotspur. The British Rail employee after getting over the shock said, ?Davie

WorldChampions1902

Mackay, the He?rts winnae be the same without you?. That sentence summed up the feelings of the Hearts support at the time.

Why the Board of Directors had sanctioned the transfer was beyond all logic, given that the club had posted record profits of ?13,000 for the previous season (57-58), had earned ?15,000 from their run in the 1958 League Cup and taken more than ?10,000 in gate receipts from their European cup match versus Standard Liege. This totalled ?38,000 which easily covered the costs incurred on the newly-installed floodlights (?14,000) and the planned construction of a covered enclosure on the distillery side of the stadium (?23,000). The loss of Dave Mackay was to prove fatal to Hearts title ambitions as the team fell at the last game of that season losing to an ?average? Celtic side at Parkhead, when victory would have secured the league crown. Not for the first time and not for the last time either, the short-sightedness of the Tynecastle Directors would prove to be extremely costly in the long-run. Dave Mackay left Hearts only because the club wanted to sell him and given that situation, few could blame him for moving to pastures new. One can only ponder at what might have been had he remained in Gorgie.

During his stay at White Hart Lane, Dave Mackay became one of Spurs all-time greats as his leadership and winning mentality transformed a side fighting relegation. Spurs developed into a formidable team that completed a League and Cup double in 1961, retained the F.A. Cup in 1962 and won the European Cup Winners Cup in 1963. In 1967 the ?barrel-chested? legend captained Spurs to another F.A. Cup win defeating arch-rivals Chelsea 2-1 in the final.

In July 1968 just as Dave?s playing career seemed to be coming to an end, confirmation that Hearts were ready to appoint Dave Mackay as their Assistant Manager came from an unexpected source. Brian Clough, Derby County?s manager at that time approached Spurs with a view to making what he would later refer to as the best signing he ever made. In his autobiography, Cloughie recalled how he made the trip to London to speak with Spurs manager Bill Nicholson with a view to offering Dave Mackay a contract. On arrival at White Hart Lane, Bill Nicholson informed the Derby manager that Dave Mackay was returning to Scotland ?tomorrow? to join Hearts as Assistant Manager. Refusing to give up, Brian Clough asked to speak with the half-back, who delivered the same disappointing message. It was only after tabling an offer he couldn?t refuse that Dave Mackay finally agreed to join Derby County. Brian Clough?s elation at capturing Mackay?s services was best summed up when he said, ?I hadn?t just signed a player, I?d recruited a kind of institution, a legendary footballer who, despite recent setbacks of two leg fractures, was the perfect addition, the crowning glory for the young side we were assembling at Derby. I never made a more effective signing in my entire managerial career?. Dave joined Derby County at the age of 34 and during his stay with ?The Rams?, went on to win the Second Division Championship and receive the accolade of England?s Player of the Year ? something he never achieved during his time at Spurs.

At the age of 36, Dave Mackay left Derby for Swindon Town where he signed on as player-manager and from there, he moved into the manager?s role at Nottingham Forest in November 1972. After less than a year in the hot-seat at Forest, Dave returned to

WorldChampions1902

Derby County as manager following the much-publicised departure of Brian Clough. Despite disharmony in the Derby dressing room, Dave earned the trust and respect of the players and went on to secure the First Division Championship within a couple of years ? something he regards as being his greatest ever feat. At the end of 1976, Dave became Walsall?s manager and this was followed with management positions in Kuwait, Doncaster, Birmingham and Egypt.

Now aged 72 and living in Nottingham, Dave still makes occasional trips to Tynecastle. Although he regularly watches Derby County his affinity with Heart of Midlothian Football Club remains as strong as it was the day he left to join Spurs.

An interesting footnote is that Hearts accepted ?32,000 from the Londoners for Dave Mackay and Bill Nicholson the Spurs Manager later admitted that he was prepared to spend ?100,000 to secure his services. It seems that Hearts being short-changed is nothing new and begs the question, just how much would a player of Dave Mackay?s calibre cost in today?s crazy transfer market?

Lifelong Hearts fan Ronald MacDonald clearly never gave up hope that Dave Mackay would one day return to Tynecastle as a later verse in his dedication says:

** Who?s playing for Hearts today?

You hear the Jambos cry,

Just the usual team,

And och aye Dave Mackay

I suspect many old-time Hearts fans who saw Dave Mackay play wish that were indeed true!

** Source ? The Real Mackay (Dave Mackay & Martin Knight ? Mainstream 2004)

janie jones
I really enjoyed the book too, read it a couple of months ago and have spent ages 'youtube'ing cloughie since.

it's being made into a film too...hopefully better than the rest of the football biog stuff thats been done, it seems to have the beginings of a good cast

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1226271/

I wonder if the bit about Cloughie burning Don Revie's desk, chair and all his files is true. Clough's family hate the book apparently although I don't think it paints him in a terrible light.

Cheers for the film link.

PsychocAndy

A few years ago Dave Mackay was on Hawksbee and Jacobs for his book. Spurs fan Paul H asked if winning the double was the highlight of his playing days and Dave said yes winning the double with Hearts was the highlight of his career.

Never saw him play but delivered Bon Accord to his Dads in the early 80's and was awestruck when he answered the door.

davemclaren

A real Hearts hero and Dave always makes it clear what team he supports....and it isn't Spurs. :cool_shades:

Denny Crane

Had the privilage of speaking to the man a few years back - an absolute gent. No airs, graces or ill mannered arrogance - unlike another former ex-captain - and it was perfectly obvious which part of his career he loved talking about the most. Made me jealous of older relations who were there to see Dave & other bedecked in maroon demolish all before them.

shaun.lawson

Legend. Probably one of Hearts' three greatest ever players I'd say.

Vlad! Make him manager!

Walter Kidd

Don Revie was/is a legend.

Clough was a big mouth upstart who thought he was better than all the Leeds United players put together. I'm glad the author was sued successfully by Johnny Giles. Bremner wasn't here to answer for himself.

shaun.lawson

Clough was a big mouth upstart who thought he was better than all the Leeds United players put together. I'm glad the author was sued successfully by Johnny Giles. Bremner wasn't here to answer for himself.

Clough might well have deliberately sabotaged the Leeds side he inherited - which only increases my admiration for him, to be honest... ;)

I would say the Revie legend was lucky to get off with trying to bribe some teams if memory serves me correctly.

Walter Kidd
I would say the Revie legend was lucky to get off with trying to bribe some teams if memory serves me correctly.

More nonsense about a man who can't reply.

I have a copy of Brain Cloughs autobiography. he mentions the Dave Mackay signing and also mention that he was indeed going back Hearts. He also says that DM was his greatest ever signing.

Oxford City

Damned United is a genuinely good book, possibly the greatest novel ever written about football (perhaps not much of a boast). I would recommend it unreservedly. As to whether it is true - a lot of it is, and a lot of it we will never know. It isn't supposed to be a biography. The stuff about Mackay coincides with the story I had previously heard.

Kind of dreading the film - so much of the book is set inside Clough's head, and the time-scheme is so fractured, it's difficult to see how it could work.

bigbryanthejambo

Top book and damn good read. A friend of mine has just landed the part of Archie Gemmil in the movie, and it all sounds v.exciting! Looking forward to seeing it!

Colonel Kurtz

The Then een journo must have been that periods equivilant of Mark Donaldson

when it comes to jumping the gun.

I have met Dave Mackay a few times and a perfect gent,who hates the Bremner photo..

He was the FA player of the year playing as sweeper for Clough.

The Real mackay right enough

He was not coming to Hearts as manager ,but as player /asistant manager

One of my favourites was when he was a tv pundit on a live football game. Derby County v Spurs a few years ago.

Presenter: "So, Dave. You used to play for Derby. You used to play for Spurs. Who are you supporting today?"

DM (Fixing him with a steely-eyed stare): "I'm a Hearts fan, son."

Say What Again
Kind of dreading the film - so much of the book is set inside Clough's head, and the time-scheme is so fractured, it's difficult to see how it could work.

This thread was the first I knew of any film and your concerns above were my immediate worries too.

Looking at the cast on IMDb doesn't inspire either.

I'll give it a watch when it comes out though and judge it then.

Agree with your thoughts re the book as well. I read it in 2 days on holiday last summer. It wasn't the best book I read that summer but it is the best football book I've read and just couldn't put it down.

japanjambo

Id love to meet Dave McKay. One day...fingers crossed.

Lynn:ninja:

Tried reading it at the start of the year and couldn't get into it. Don't know why just didn't hook me at all.

GB84 by the same author is far superior but it's not about football!

Goldstone Wonder

As an aside, did anyone see the South Bank Show on this the other week? Gutted i missed it. Any idea how I could see it? Checked on itv's version of iplayer and unless it's a soap or Britain's got Talent they don't make their programmes available by this format.

I read his autobiography many years before I read the Damned Utd and he defo mentioned the fact that Dave Mackay was returning to us until he persuaded him otherwise.

janie jones
Clough might well have deliberately sabotaged the Leeds side he inherited - which only increases my admiration for him, to be honest... ;)

He may have been an upstart IMO was a better manager than Revie for several reasons.

Firstly he took Derby from the bottom of the second division to a league championship and European Cup semi final and took the unfashionable Nottingham Forest to two league titles and a European Cup success which IMO is a far greater achievement than Revie who did nothing as England manager and ended up in Saudi Arabia or somewhere similar IIRC.

Secondly Clough's teams played lovely football. Leeds did have some great footballers but were not known as dirty Leeds and hated accordingly for no reason.

Say What Again
and took the unfashionable Nottingham Forest to two league titles and a European Cup success

I'm don't mean to be a pedant mate but isn't it the other way round? 2 European Cups and 1 League title?

I'm not knocking the achievement obviously, it just seems to stick in my mind that Forest have won Europes top prize more than they've won their top domestic prize.

Chris Benoit
I'm don't mean to be a pedant mate but isn't it the other way round? 2 European Cups and 1 League title?

I'm not knocking the achievement obviously, it just seems to stick in my mind that Forest have won Europes top prize more than they've won their top domestic prize.

Yeah i'm sure i read/heard it somewhere that Forest are the only team to win the European Cup more times than their domestic league

Denny Crane
More nonsense about a man who can't reply.

Well what was Revie's reply when his goalie Gary Sprake made his accusation about match-fixing? Sprake made his allegation(s) during the mid-70s after all - years before Revie passed away.

janie jones
Yeah i'm sure i read/heard it somewhere that Forest are the only team to win the European Cup more times than their domestic league

Your right. They beat Malmo in 1979 when Trevor Francis scored the winner and a year later I think they beat Kevin Keegan's Hamburg with a John Robertson goal IIRC . A great achievement but the days of those kind of teams getting anywhere near a European Cup final are long gone.

John Findlay

I know this is jumping the gun and believe me I do not wish it to happen.

When Dave MacKay finally leaves this earth. I can guarantee that the coverage in the Scottish media will be a fraction of that given to Phil O'Donnell and Tommy Burns. Niether were good enough to lace Dave MacKay's boots.

John

• 3 weeks later...
Walter Kidd

Duncan, Revie's son, remains convinced that the allegations were unfounded. 'They must have fixed lots and lots and lots of matches, because they won for at least 10 years,' he says. 'It was ludicrous in the extreme.' If Revie did fix football matches, it was not systematic - and done in a way that was uncharacteristically unprofessional. Duncan believes that 'not suing has wrongly damaged his reputation', because his father's name can never properly be cleared.

Chad Sexington
It's a load of pish Prank Monkey. Stick that in your pipe.

You can cram it with walnuts ugly.

:blink:

Chad Sexington
Oooooer missus. :dribble:

You only didn't like it because it exposes Leeds fans to be a shower of in bred mutants.

;)

Walter Kidd
You only didn't like it because it exposes Leeds fans to be a shower of in bred mutants.

;)

Better than being a sheep worrier from Manc or a gay boy from the Kings Road.

Game Set and match Mr Kidd. New Balls please.:)

Chad Sexington
Better than being a sheep worrier from Manc or a gay boy from the Kings Road.

Game Set and match Mr Kidd. New Balls please.:)

:laugh:

Archived