laptop help.

Tams bird

Should a laptop make a sort of whirring noise ? Mine has always done it. Now my sister in law just said its like the fan... Where is the fan?

Craigieboy
Should a laptop make a sort of whirring noise ? Mine has always done it. Now my sister in law just said its like the fan... Where is the fan?

Mine does the same. It's the fan.

Which takes me to another idea for a thread.

;)

Craigieboy
So its okay then. She had me worried...:mad:

The fan goes off every few minutes. Especially if you use it on your 'lap'.

Using it on top of a table is advised.

Always have it on the desk. cant get the wireless to work...

Whiring is on all the time i think..

The fan goes off every few minutes. Especially if you use it on your 'lap'.

Using it on top of a table is advised.

Not sure about that. My good lady is frequently complaining about how cold the house is. I told her to ensure that she puts the laptop on her lap when she's working on essays (she's a good for nothing student). In doing so, i'd hoped to minimise the hit i'm taking on rising energy costs.

She says i'm tight but it's all about saving the planet.

There can be multiple fans in your laptop depending on the type and it's make up. Some use a set of copper heatpipes / heatsinks so only need one larger system fan, others have one on the processor and one on the graphics chip. However your CD drive also spins up as does your hard disk.

High pitched whining can be caused from a fan being slightly out of sink compared to how it should lie or dust clogging it. You can get some compressed air (can) and blow into the vents to clean out any dust which might help or take it apart and clean, you can Google the methodology for most laptop makes / models as geeks out there love sticking the way on the web with handy pictures :)

Another less common cause of whining comes from Vista and the way it works with certain aspects of the system, has been found in laptops where it has been upgraded from XP to Vista, mainly due to power settings not being compatible.

Newer laptops don't suffer as much as better specced with processors that produce less heat and step down depending on usage. Without the fan your laptop would pretty much burn out and there's been a few that have gone on fire after failures.....you can google Dell for a You Tube on that. Older laptops and cheaper laptops can use desktop chips inside, not mobile chips, that burn harder and therefore need fans on more often than not which can be quite noisy, but unfortunately unavoidable.

You can buy a laptop cooler that can reduce the system temp, sits underneath the laptop keeping it and you cool :)

feature01.jpg

Archived